Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever Stopped Being Someone's Fan?

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by » Mon October 14th, 2019, 20:03

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    Yeah. The only artist i won't stop stan is Ed Sheeran.
    "You can build a new heart and a new house
    Gonna take some time but things will turn out
    So much of everything will be waiting for you..."

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1

Legend
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

by » Mon October 14th, 2019, 20:18

What happened to the topic starter?

Such a shame some people stop being a fan, when someone hasn't got a hit on the charts.
    I remember how most of the kids in 1985/1986/1987 loved Madonna. Then in 1988, they were like: "How can you still like her? She doesn't have a hit."
    My Instagram... - Click here

Legend
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

by » Mon October 14th, 2019, 21:14

I used to be a big fan of Nicki during her Pink Friday era. I just thought she was so genuine back then, to her music and to her fans and she seemed to be very relatable on Twitter. I watched her documentary as well and I respect how she really hustled from the bottom to the top.

Then her second album came out (The Reloaded I believe), I still liked it but not as much as I did with her first album. And she started doing more and more EDM songs, both for her solo and her features and by the time she released the next album (forgot what it was), I completely lost interest. Her Urban songs didn't do anything for me either since then, not even that Beyonce collab. And now she's becoming problematic and I'm glad I'm no longer a fan.

Other than that, I'm still quite loyal to my faves.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by » Mon October 14th, 2019, 21:23

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
    What happened to the topic starter?

Such a shame some people stop being a fan, when someone hasn't got a hit on the charts.
    I remember how most of the kids in 1985/1986/1987 loved Madonna. Then in 1988, they were like: "How can you still like her? She doesn't have a hit."
    I was never even aware of "hits" when I was a kid, I just listened to whatever I liked.
    For example, when "Glitter" was released I remember buying the album from a huge pink display in front of the record shop and it was just a new Mariah album I'd be happy with.
    It wasn't until I got internet and access to music communities that I found out about "hits and flops".
    "You can build a new heart and a new house
    Gonna take some time but things will turn out
    So much of everything will be waiting for you..."

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1

Legend
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

by » Mon October 14th, 2019, 21:46

^ I am from another generation. I didn't care if something was a hit or not, but it was easier to record something from the radio when it was a hit. I always collected the "Top 40" sheet and so I could see at what time I had to listen to record my favorite songs.

I have always been into music since a very early age. My mother always bought me those records with children's songs and records from tv-programs. When my parents bought a new record player, I was the one to get the old one (even though I was not the eldest).

But it wasn't till I was 14 years old, when I became aware of 12" singles and remixes.

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 01:29

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    I liked J.Lo once upon a time but I stopped once more disturbing details started coming to light about how she was trying to sabotage Kween + her inauthenticity as a musician
    Mariah sabotaged herself with the awful Glitter era. J.Lo as a singer is no threat to Mariah's catalog. Unfortunately, this never-ending feud only highlighted Mariah's insecurity. Tommy was doing the exact same thing for Beyoncé (during the Destiny's Child eras) but Mariah will never come for Beyoncé because that would be social suicide in the community, nobody goes against Beyoncé.

Legend
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 01:57

Kween actually respects King tho because she only stans and affiliates herself with talent when it comes to musicians (except for that one Onika hiccup).
    Quote Originally Posted by SawyerHewitt View Post
    There's only one GOAT in our dictionaries and ppl should look it up.
    Best song ever written and sung, that is WBT. Periodt.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 02:31

The only person I ever stopped being a fan of is Mariah. She was a staple in our home growing up in the 90s, my Father was a fan and had all her albums from Mariah Carey - Rainbow. It was Glitter that changed it all for me and have never really gone back, her personality really turned me off, in the 90s she was the girl next door and then 2000 came and it was all about Cleavage and tight dresses, there was nothing to relate to anymore.

I still listen too her music too but I don't touch anything except #Beautiful post Rainbow Era

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 03:09

Too many to list.

Legend
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 03:21

I have to listen to older music from Ciara. I was a bigger fan of hers than I was Bey (who is close to losing me) during 2006/07 but than she released Fantasy Ride.... wtf was that. The Evolution was so innovative and fun, but she started to chase the charts and it showed.
    Diva!!!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 03:45

1. Kylie M. In high school i loved her and bought all her music and live DVDs but during college something changed and I just stopped listening. Maybe its her personality but she just turns me off now.

2. Christina. Again obsessed in high school but after Bionic, which I enjoyed, I just lost interest.

3. Janet. Again with high school obsession. I guess you grow out of certain artists.

Basically the only people I stan for now are Madonna, Britney, and Celine.

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 09:50

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack View Post
    Mariah sabotaged herself with the awful Glitter era. J.Lo as a singer is no threat to Mariah's catalog. Unfortunately, this never-ending feud only highlighted Mariah's insecurity. Tommy was doing the exact same thing for Beyoncé (during the Destiny's Child eras) but Mariah will never come for Beyoncé because that would be social suicide in the community, nobody goes against Beyoncé.
    K boo. Keep spouting your truth. Xx

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 09:51

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack View Post
    K boo. Keep spouting your truth. Xx

Legend
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 11:38

LMAO @ "Social suicide"

Legend
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 17:38

Hmm quite a lot of artists, usually just due to lost interest because of their output, growing older, changing my preferences etc. That is not to say that I will never be a fan of these artists again, or that I totally stopped checking them. I usually still bother to give a new song a try, but there is a difference between anxiously waiting for someone's new album and just seeing a thread or youtube video randomly pop up and checking it just 'cause.

Let's start with the bigger pop stars:

Sia - I will forever worship her pre-2011 stuff, but the moment Titanium got released was the beginning of the end for me. And since then I've mostly been disappointed and actually found her songs and voice annoying. Fascinating how I can find her voice beautiful in one song, yet totally generic and dull in another.

I did enjoy 1000 Forms of Fear to an extent, and maybe a few songs after that, but they will never move me the same way as her earlier albums. I don't even bother with her random disposable soundtrack songs and collabs she keeps churning out. I'll definitely check her next album, but with zero expectations or hype.

Lady Gaga - liked her up until ARTPOP - she became too weird here, even though I actually enjoyed most of the music. The weirdness that used to be cool during TFM and even BTW seemed to look more and more like a caricature. As for her "normal phase" she's doing since Cheek to Cheek... while I applaud the reinvention that pretty much saved her career, I can't help but find it forced and fake, including her dramatic theatrical voice she keeps doing. Maybe she's not fake, if so, good for her, but I can't take her seriously. Plus the music is boring as f.

Gwen Stefani - liked No Doubt, loved her first album, the second one had a few highlights that still gave me hope. Everything since her comeback has been just dreadful and honestly hard to believe it's the same person when you compare the music.

Pink - like everyone else here probably. She's just become so generic that I can't even listen to her older singles. I still do like the Misunderstood and Try This stuff, but everything else after that... nope.

Florence + the Machine - as an indie loving tween in high school I loved her first album, I still remember how magical it sounded. Something happened with the sophomore... even though it was more successful and everyone seemed to like it more, I couldn't click with it bar a few songs. Never really regained my love for her ever since. Nowadays I check her out, I like a song here and there (Hunger was a great one), but generally don't really care about her or have any wish to see her live. I don't even play Lungs anymore, leaves me cold more or less.

Ellie Goulding - I wasn't a BIG fan, but I liked her during Lights, Halcyon (the first edition without the basic re-release) was fine but underwhelming. Then the basic hits started and I can't stand her now. Not even Lights anymore.

I'll do some more another time. So many to write about

Superstar
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 18:12

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Sia - I will forever worship her pre-2011 stuff, but the moment Titanium got released was the beginning of the end for me. And since then I've mostly been disappointed and actually found her songs and voice annoying. Fascinating how I can find her voice beautiful in one song, yet totally generic and dull in another.
    I totally get you. I discovered Sia when she released We Are Born and loved the album, went to her back catalog and it was a real discovery. But it went terribly downhill from there.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Legend
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 18:26

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    I totally get you. I discovered Sia when she released We Are Born and loved the album, went to her back catalog and it was a real discovery. But it went terribly downhill from there.
    Yeah, WAB was my first album, too. And I was such a huge fan that it’s actually heartbreaking to say I’m so indifferent towards her now, hard to make peace with it. Hope none of my other big faves ever pull something like that because idk how I’ll be able to handle it

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 18:54

Kylie Minogue. She went downhill for me after X album and Golden was the final nail in the coffin. I'm so indifferent towards her, it's sad.

Bjork - Lost interest in her music after her third album. Her first three albums are flawless though. Same with Tori Amos, somewhere along the road i lost interest.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Superstar
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 18:58

Hope none of my other big faves ever pull something like that because idk how I’ll be able to handle it
    Who's left?
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Legend
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 20:45

Pink - like everyone else here probably. She's just become so generic that I can't even listen to her older singles. I still do like the Misunderstood and Try This stuff, but everything else after that... nope.
    I only started to like P!nk in 2012/2013 (Try, Just Give Me A Reason).
    From her older songs I only like Family Portrait.

Legend
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 21:36

P!nk definitely. I used to stan for her, but after Funhouse she become so boring and uninspiring. I di like some songs from last three albums, but not even close as before.

honorable mention to

Eminem
    Panic! At The Disco
    Green Day

Legend
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 21:43

Y’all hate Pink now yet she’s held on better than most of our faves.
    Quote Originally Posted by SawyerHewitt View Post
    There's only one GOAT in our dictionaries and ppl should look it up.
    Best song ever written and sung, that is WBT. Periodt.

Legend
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 21:51

I guess GP is basic as P!nk's music nowadays.

Legend
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 21:57

I think her melodies and lyrics are stronger now. Just listen to What About Us, Walk Me Home and Can We Pretend.

Legend
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 22:03

I know those songs, but they are nothing in comparassion to Who Knew, Family Portrait or Sober.