Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapthrills' Cheap 2010s Countdown - #57 - #55

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 16:56

This thread is about looking back at the music of the 2010s, so I am using my 10,000th post to start it a little early! What a strange decade - it started with the hope of being just a year into an Obama presidency and ending with the impeachment inquiry of his successor.

Musically, the charts reflected a huge switch as well. As the 10s began, we were in the midst of a dance pop revival in which pop girls thrived. As the decade closed, rap once again became a dominant genre. Much of this change could be attributed to how people digested music - sales of singles began to boom as the decade began. In those early years, the Glee Cast charted over 200 songs on the Hot 100 based purely on sales. Singles would have sales in the six digits within one week. By mid-decade, however, those sales started to decline to the point of irrelevancy as consumers decided that ownership was unnecessary as they could just stream on Spotify and the like. Could rap have always been the dominant genre this decade and sales is what held them back?

I am pleased when I look back at the last ten years on my chart - so many memories associated with the songs that charted over the past ten years. The early years had a bit more rock than they do now, and country songs occasionally were sprinkled into the mix. 2015-2017 saw a Latin resurgence on my chart, and EDM had some major influence.

It is too early for me to start the actual countdown, but I will take the next fifty days to highlight one song each day that made my top ten, but not the countdown. I am looking forward to reflecting on the past decade.

Legend
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)

by » Tue October 15th, 2019, 17:19

Ah, I love the poster!

It's been a strange decade indeed. Musically, I don't think it was quite as incredible as the 2000s, but there are so many songs that have been added to my all-time favourite tracks list. Honestly, seeing more decade-end threads is getting me even more excited about my own.

Looking forward to seeing the songs that helped shape your decade!
    Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2019: [95-91]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Wed October 16th, 2019, 01:31

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    Ah, I love the poster!

It's been a strange decade indeed. Musically, I don't think it was quite as incredible as the 2000s, but there are so many songs that have been added to my all-time favourite tracks list. Honestly, seeing more decade-end threads is getting me even more excited about my own.

Looking forward to seeing the songs that helped shape your decade!
    Yay, Akini! Thanks for following.

I'm looking forward to seeing the decade countdowns too! I'm not really starting it in earnest until December, but this will give me an opportunity to shout out songs that may not have gotten the success they deserved when they were on my chart.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Wed October 16th, 2019, 01:34

Reba McEntire - Consider Me Gone (January 2010)

So, I'll kick this off with a song that peaked right as the decade began - in a way it was a farewell to the 2000s, so it's only fitting I use it to start as the first song in this thread. It peaked at #5. Dates in parenthesis indicate its peak date.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Wed October 16th, 2019, 15:53

Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat (June 2011)

Gay bars have seemed to be dying for awhile now, but I still remember clubbing when this song was hitting it big, and it was pretty inescapable then. It has grown on me over time, but in 2011, it just dented the top ten at #8.

Legend
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

by » Wed October 16th, 2019, 17:05

I still luh Mr. Saxoghey, the guy in the song sounds like he’s climaxing.

Legend
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)

by » Wed October 16th, 2019, 17:32

"Consider Me Gone" is good. I played it more this year than ever before. "Mr. Saxobeat" is pretty average for me.

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Fri October 18th, 2019, 03:57

Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe (August 2012)

One of the most iconic songs of the decade and one I suspect will be on a lot of decade-end countdowns. It tookawhile to click with me and had a brief run on the chart, but it did manage to hit #1. A song that only grew on me over time, it had that iconic video where the guitarist gets the clueless jock instead of Carly.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Fri October 18th, 2019, 03:59

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    I still luh Mr. Saxoghey, the guy in the song sounds like he’s climaxing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    "Consider Me Gone" is good. I played it more this year than ever before. "Mr. Saxobeat" is pretty average for me.
    OMG, such different responses to Mr Saxobeat. I don't know, I love Alexandra's accent - it just screams Europop at a time when the US actually gave something like that a chance. And there's just enough guys climaxing in song

Legend
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)

by » Fri October 18th, 2019, 05:52

"Call Me Maybe" is lovely. I thought it was the best she'd ever be able to deliver, and was proved mightily wrong three years later.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Fri October 18th, 2019, 14:29

Martin Garrix - Animals (December 2013)

Wunderkind Martin Garrix was only 17 when he managed to dent the charts with this EDM success story. Incredibly, not only is it still his highest peak in the US and UK (#21 and #1 respectively), but also an instrumental - a rarity for a top 40 placement. Martin is currently tied with David Guetta for most top ten songs on my chart (9) as a DJ, but he's yet to have a #1. This song reached #4 as 2013 came to a close.

Manager
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

by » Fri October 18th, 2019, 22:40

Just realized I've never seen the "Call Me Maybe" video! I usually don't care much about music videos and especially the first half of the decade when I rarely posted here I probably almost forgot they existed... The song was never huge for me; it only peaked at #10 on my chart although I do like it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Sat October 19th, 2019, 12:28

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Just realized I've never seen the "Call Me Maybe" video! I usually don't care much about music videos and especially the first half of the decade when I rarely posted here I probably almost forgot they existed... The song was never huge for me; it only peaked at #10 on my chart although I do like it.
    Actually, until now, I never saw the video for the next song I'm posting - I think it's just that I tend to listen to music more when I'm doing something - doing chores, driving, at the gm, when I don't really need to look at a screen.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Sat October 19th, 2019, 12:45

Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne - Rather Be (May 2014)

Rather Be peaked at #3 before ever charting in the US. It would be a few months before it would eke out a solitary week in the top 10 in the US (but I was really thrilled it even made it to the top 10). Its sunny, strings production and joyful chorus are pure car karaoke candy, and this is a song I'd return to ahead of other songs that made that year's top 40.

Legend
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by » Sun October 20th, 2019, 16:55

Beautiful, reflective introduction! The music industry did indeed see one of its biggest shifts ever this decade as streaming became the new normal, and you made some very thought-provoking points about how that change in people's consumption habits may have impacted the dominant genres as well.

• I might've mentioned this before, but "Consider Me Gone" is the only Reba song in my library, and I can't remember why (since it's hardly her biggest/signature hit). UKMIX must've played a role.
    • I definitely don't get out enough, but have gay bars really been dying? Is there just less of a focus on dancing/club-type venues, or have you witnessed many bars and clubs alike closing in recent years? That's a tad heartbreaking. We'll have to hit up Splash the next time you're in San Jose for business (while we still can).
    • Well, I'm mildly furious that Carly Rae wasn't worthy of your "actual countdown," but at least she got a shout-out now. Like most people outside Canada, "Call Me Maybe" was my introduction to this poptastic siren, and she quickly became one of my favorite "new" artists of the decade. She deserves SO much more than "one-hit-wonder" status (I imagine most people have already forgotten "Good Time" and "I Really Like You"), but I'm glad the general public's idiocy didn't stop her from continuing to churn out some of the best pop music of the 21st century.
    • Damn, I forgot "Animals" is still Martin's highest-charting hit on several official charts (probably because I prefer several of his singles that came later, though I did enjoy "Animals" too).
    • Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't always check out the videos for songs he's loving! I used to include a video screenshot for each song on my Year-End Countdowns, and that was often the first time I'd ever watched those vids Like you said, music consumption is generally a mobile activity for me too.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Mon October 21st, 2019, 04:47

Maná ft. Shakira - Mi Verdad (May 2015)

I went to Belize in May of 2015 for a study abroad. It was an amazing experience - I worked with grade school teachers trying to help show ways they could use technology to teach their students. To prepare for my trip, I listened to some Spanish songs. This his #1 on my chart just before I left. Now, in Belize, the official language is English but I thought "it's surrounded by Spanish speaking countries! Surely I will need to use Spanish!" Nope, I was wrong. No Spanish to be heard until I took a day trip to see a Mayan site in Guatemala. And so my Spanish song preparation was all for naught... until I heard this song in, of all places, the Houston airport during my return trip layover.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Tue October 22nd, 2019, 22:09

Quote Originally Posted by crystalphoenix View Post
    Beautiful, reflective introduction! The music industry did indeed see one of its biggest shifts ever this decade as streaming became the new normal, and you made some very thought-provoking points about how that change in people's consumption habits may have impacted the dominant genres as well.

• I might've mentioned this before, but "Consider Me Gone" is the only Reba song in my library, and I can't remember why (since it's hardly her biggest/signature hit). UKMIX must've played a role.
    • I definitely don't get out enough, but have gay bars really been dying? Is there just less of a focus on dancing/club-type venues, or have you witnessed many bars and clubs alike closing in recent years? That's a tad heartbreaking. We'll have to hit up Splash the next time you're in San Jose for business (while we still can).
    • Well, I'm mildly furious that Carly Rae wasn't worthy of your "actual countdown," but at least she got a shout-out now. Like most people outside Canada, "Call Me Maybe" was my introduction to this poptastic siren, and she quickly became one of my favorite "new" artists of the decade. She deserves SO much more than "one-hit-wonder" status (I imagine most people have already forgotten "Good Time" and "I Really Like You"), but I'm glad the general public's idiocy didn't stop her from continuing to churn out some of the best pop music of the 21st century.
    • Damn, I forgot "Animals" is still Martin's highest-charting hit on several official charts (probably because I prefer several of his singles that came later, though I did enjoy "Animals" too).
    • Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't always check out the videos for songs he's loving! I used to include a video screenshot for each song on my Year-End Countdowns, and that was often the first time I'd ever watched those vids Like you said, music consumption is generally a mobile activity for me too.
    Circling back to you! I wanted to respond sooner, but got a timeout error before and didn't want to retype - haha. Consider Me Gone is Reba's only solo appearance on my chart. She also appeared with Kelly Clarkson on her remake of Because of You. I'm not sure where I picked up my interest either.

Maybe it's my impression on gay bars, but it feels to me like they are quieter than they used to be. Maybe it's because there's other options to meet, or gays don't feel to need to have their own bar space? I know several have closed here in Denver.

Yes, I figured Carly would be a "shock" announcement, and it would certainly deserve to make my list now, but it didn't finish high enough in the year-end to be eligible. I don't think i appreciated it as much at the time as I do now. It felt deceptively simple, and I couldn't get past the defensiveness of the line "all the other boys try to chase me." Like, own your thirstiness, girl.

I remember charting Animals and then looking Martin up to see what else he'd done, and realized there was basically nothing because he was a teenager. Have loved watching his career blow up, but it's super odd that his debut is still his best placement. I mean he had Dua as a feature!

I just realized even when I play videos on my computer, I go to another tab and do other things.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Tue October 22nd, 2019, 22:23

Kelsea Ballerini - Peter Pan (July 2016)

So I really wanted to pick a song that was in the top ten the week I joined UKMix, and that was kind of a challenge because I had no idea what a strong week that was on my chart. In fact, FIVE of the songs in the top ten that week made this countdown! Three of those songs made my top four for 2016. So, I had a choice of five other songs, and well, I can't say I'm crazy about any of them, but this was nice enough to come back to, and was the first and most successful of Kelsea's three top ten songs during the decade. It peaked at #4. I don't think I've listened to it since that summer.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Tue October 22nd, 2019, 22:39

The Revivalists - Wish I Knew You (August 2017)

I meant to post 2016 yesterday, but ran into connection issues, so you get a twofer today to make up for it!

As soon as I cued up the video for this, a wave of chills came over me. It's been awhile since I listened to this one, but the emotional connection was instantly there - it comes off as a love song, but it's tinged with melancholy and regret. I had initially assumed that this was about a man who had met the love of his life and only wished for more time to have had her in his life, which is a poignant reminder of our temporariness. In the years since, I'm now not so sure. Perhaps it's a new relationship, somehow thwarted by the timing. In any case, it's a song that crafts a searing picture of loving in the moment and appreciating the time we have. This was a #1 on my chart.

Legend
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

by » Tue October 22nd, 2019, 22:46

Any Kween songs I should be expecting?

Legend
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)

by » Tue October 22nd, 2019, 22:51

I enjoyed "Animals" initially, but it got very overplayed fast.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Tue October 22nd, 2019, 23:01

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    Any Kween songs I should be expecting?
    It's a possibility! WBT did not last long enough into the decade to make the countdown though. I'm sorry

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo View Post
    I enjoyed "Animals" initially, but it got very overplayed fast.
    It did get overplayed, though I feel that way about much of the EDM of that time. I've enjoyed watching his musical style change though.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Wed October 23rd, 2019, 15:24

Marshmello ft. Bastille - Happier (November 2018)

This song got a boost because of the video. It was released about a month after I found out my dog had cancer (you can see her if you check my profile.) And while I initially avoided the video because of the content, eventually I found it cathartic. Just over a month after this was #1, I made the difficulty decision to put her down. We got a new dog just last month, and it has helped get over the loss and I am indeed happier.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Thu October 24th, 2019, 13:35

Ava Max - So Am I (May 2019)

I haven't figured out my top 40 for 2019 so picking songs form this year is a challenge. Unfortunately, I'm fairly sure So Am I won't make the cut. It ended up peaking at #4 behind a strong top three (all songs which could make the countdown.) Even though it's Sweet But Psycho II, I actually prefer it, mainly because I like the lyrics - a pair of misfits finding each other - very Manic Pixie Dream Girl. This song was moving up the charts when I was in London this past spring, and I heard it in passing a couple times, including when we were vey Britishly eating fish and chips, so it will always have a special place in my memories.

Legend
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)

by » Fri October 25th, 2019, 15:45

Margaret Cho ft. Andrew Bird (November 2010)

Time to cycle back to 2010, and in the spirit of halloween, I present this country-flavored novelty song. When I first heard it, I thought the comedy was in the ridiculousness of the understatement throughout the song. The dark humor has Cho murdering her obsession in various ways, but it's actually based on a true story. Cho had her own sitcom in the 90s and the producer of that show would, a decade or so later, murder his own wife and leave her in the attic. Cho didn't know of the fact, but had a crush on him and decide to randomly Google him one day. This was a Halloween playlist addition and a melody I still enjoy, even if the subject matter is disturbing. It peaked at #2.