Thread: I'm With The Band: Nasty Cherry [Charli XCX - Netflix]

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by Tue October 22nd, 2019, 20:21

So most people here will know Charli XCX has put together a girl-band called Nasty Cherry. What you didn't know was the project has been in development for three years and Netflix filmed the entire process!

A series is airing November 15th.

And this also means Chloe Chaidez's other (better) band Kitten will get some much needed exposure:

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by Fri November 15th, 2019, 18:51

As a Kitten fan i'm quite conflicted watching this. Chloe says on Twitter Charli asked her to join 3 years ago. Gabi says on screen they were formed a year ago (4 months before their March live debut). The gap between could have been filled in to explain the decisions to cast all of them.
    Looks as though Chloe was cast purely to create drama for the show as 80% of the drama is around her. (the show credits several "story editors" which implies constructed reality set-ups). Non-Kitten fans are not going to understand her and will think she's a brat and it could actually do her/Kitten harm. But Charli put her in that position and we're never given any real background to this.

Conversely, the show doesn't seem to have done Nasty Cherry any good on UK iTunes, no noticeable boosts yet, not even for Win which is featured throughout. Maybe on Spotify it's different. So yes, i liked the show but i'm conflicted about it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

by Tue November 19th, 2019, 00:44

I think the reason Charli chose Chloe for the band is because of her talent. They probably didn't show the decisions to chose the members because they struggled to find the right people for their band. Hence the long gap between Chloe and Georgia being chosen for the band, and two people with no previous musical experience ending up in Nasty Cherry.

I've watched the first 4 episodes, and yeah, Chloe comes across pretty bad. I can understand her frustration, since working with people at such a different skill level must be challenging, but she doesn't seem to be that understanding and seems to think her skill should be respected over their learning.

I'm a fan of Kitten, but the way she spoke about to the other band members by telling them to work around her schedule left a sour taste in my mind. All of this gave me the impression that she's only got her best interests at heart, and isn't very considerate of others. I honestly only think she joined Nasty Cherry because of Charli and the exposure she and Netflix will bring.

I do feel like Chloe should be able to balance both bands, but appreciate that can be difficult. Georgia essentially comparing the band with hobbies was a bad take, and I feel like the other members need to understand that Chloe doesn't need to spend as much time practicing because of her experience.

The whole scene when they were about to cancel the studio session 20 minutes before arriving was a messssss. I thought Chloe would have known better than that. However Debbie should have backed Chloe up when Charli phoned instead of throwing her under the bus, she was also pretty on board with the idea if the footage in the car is anything to go by.

Chloe quitting the band with a letter at the end of the episode 4 was dramatic. The perfect reality TV moment....I can understand how she felt, the dynamic of the group must have felt like a pressure cooker. However, pouring out your feelings and making people listen to you and then not giving them the same opportunity or even a chance to respond is just plain cruel. Especially when two members have given up their careers and lives in England to make this band work. It kind of solidified the idea of her being completely self-centred, but at Kitten coming in as her moving crew.

I don't think there's been any boosts on Spotify either, but Netflix rarely results in much of a boost in that regard and iTunes is pretty irrelevant. Hopefully the show will give them a more dedicated fanbase, it at least seems to have given them interaction on twitter that extends beyond just being Charli's band.

Based on the footage I've watched so far Gabi is definitely my favourite member of the band. Maybe that's because she's mostly just caught between other people's drama, but she also seems really sweet and genuine.

Time to watch the final two episodes I guess.

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by Wed November 20th, 2019, 14:33

Netflix boosted Travis Scott and they have several popular soundtracks. It has a wide enough reach to enable the few hundred (or less) required to chart. Netflix aren't really bigging it up on the site so it seems to be only appealing to the Charli fans that already know NC. Nobody else on here has even bothered to look or comment.

I wasn't going to post the specifics of the letter scene - that should really be spoilered even though the episode title virtually gives it away.
    But...

That scene is the main reason i found the whole thing upsetting. I know that feeling of being so afraid of the comeback you just shut it off completely. I wouldn't have been able to even read the letter - i'd have (indeed, i have) just left the letter for them to read.
    It looks really suspicious that she said "i'll have to talk to Charli" but the next thing we see is the letter scene. As if the producers stepped in and said "don't do that, we need a confrontation scene with you and the girls". Or she was too afraid of Charli to tell her.

End of spoiler part [i've forgotten how you actually do them on here]

The resolution scene after seemed very unsatisfactory, too. Like there were other things said we weren't allowed to see or know about. Chloe is clearly in awe of Charli and will do anything she says. In this sense, she is being used and abused for entertainment.
    She made the choice but should she have been given that choice? Chloe describes the process in her tweet above as being picked for a "documented project". That suggests band/project is intertwined - along with other articles online that say she wanted to see the drama of four women stuck together in a new environment. To not give us a definitive statement on the origin of the concept or the whole point of the group in the show itself really lets the girls down - especially Chloe.

The scene early on where she's questioned on her "commitment" even though she HAS to attend a very important Smashing Pumpkins gig planned months before is extremely unfair and has to be "constructed reality". How was she supposed to drop that? She was put in an impossible situation.

Chloe possibly wrote this song about the experience. The video definitely hints at it as no other camera crew has followed her about. It had quite a lot of views from Mike Shinoda being the producer and i notice that a couple of posts are coming in from Nasty Cherry show so maybe slowly it will help them after all...

The Nasty Cherry EP comes out Friday. Presumably a compilation of the 4 singles plus new tracks.

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by Wed November 20th, 2019, 23:42

This article lays bares everything i thought (and more) and actually spells it out as a case of bullying.

https://studentedge.org/article/netf...about-bullying

Chloe deserved better.

You can tell a lot about a band’s dynamic from their music videos. At least, I thought you could.

In their debut clip for the thrumming new wave anthem "Win", the four members of Nasty Cherry emerged with distinct personalities. There was Gabi, the ice cold frontwoman; Chloe, the pint-sized dynamo on guitar; Debbie, who seemed comfortable and confident only behind the drums; and Georgia, the bass player, who, like most bass players, had almost no distinguishing personality at all. (Kidding!)

Now, with their new Netflix reality series I’m With the Band: Nasty Cherry, we see appearances are just that, and band dynamics are as complicated and externally unknowable as most relationships. Though the giddily addictive show starts off documenting the raucous highs of four young women chasing global stardom, the six-episode series evolves into something sadder and more meaningful: a demonstration of how bullying begins, and how bullies shift blame onto their victims. And we see that the personas in "Win" are totally unlike the people behind them.

Nasty Cherry was announced to the world in January of 2019 by Charli XCX, who declared them her new favourite band, despite them not having released or written any music at all. (Charli, a songwriting genius who sequelised the very concept of music by releasing a groundbreaking mixtape titled "Pop 2", knows her s***, so her claim was worth taking seriously at the time.)

Now we know Nasty Cherry is basically an invention of Charli’s. She manufactured a girl band in LA for the sake of this series; an experiment to see if they could fast-track success via social media and a carefully curated image. It’s not a cynical play: Charli is a zero-BS, business-savvy "momager" to Nasty Cherry, pricking another bubble in the concept of how pop music should work by arguing that her hand-picked stars could be as viable as any other organic four-piece. However, she may be even savvier than we realise. As we begin to wonder as the series unfolds: Did she pick these four women because she felt they’d be the best for a band, or because she knew their differing personalities would make for the most explosive reality television?

Only two of the members are professional musos: Debbie Knox-Hewson, one of Charli’s touring drummers, and Chloe Chaidez, a polymath singer for the blistering band Kitten (who are the unofficial co-stars here). Georgia Somary, on the other hand, is a complete newcomer to bass guitar, having moved from London after quitting her previous job to learn the instrument as a favour to friend Charli. Gabbriette Bechtel, the youngest at age 21, has mild musical theatre experience, but was seemingly selected on account of her fully-formed stage persona, which sits somewhere between Joan Jett and Sky Ferreira. She laments that her resting face is a frown; the girls joke that she looks as if she’s in a perpetual sultry pout. But as we see, despite her dominant and domineering expression, Gabi is largely a bystander to the drama inside Casa de Nasty Cherry. (Because this is still a reality TV show, the four strangers are forced to move in together, amplifying the petty annoyances that may have otherwise been avoided if they just went to their individual homes each night.)

Within a month of occupying the same living space, Chloe—effectively a veteran of the music industry—is shunned, dismissed and subjected to behind-her-back sniping. It’s largely orchestrated by Georgia, who becomes the unlikely force behind the quartet, despite a lack of experience and skill (much of the songwriting they attempt is hemmed in by her insistence that the basslines not be too difficult). While Chloe tries to balance her two bands, Georgia takes her to a Mexican restaurant to passive-aggressively tell her she’d feel much better if she just quit Kitten, before returning to her burrito.

From the footage we see—certainly edited to sympathise with Chloe—Georgia excludes and alienates the guitarist, crippling her self-confidence. As a fan of Kitten, this was hard to watch, and harder to have ever anticipated. Chaidez—looking like '80s Carrie Fisher and demonstrating the boundless enthusiasm and gymnastic skill of Tigger from the Hundred Acre Wood—has a deep vocal timbre that exudes wisdom beyond her 24 years. But after a month in Nasty Cherry, we see her fragility, as she becomes quick to apologise for her innocent actions. It comes to a head in the third episode, when the girls drive to a recording session with producer Sachi (arranged by Charli). Chloe, finally vibing with the team, expresses how much she’s enjoying working with the girls, and wonders aloud about cancelling the session. They urge her to tell Emmie Lichtenberg, their manager, which inspires Charli to call back and give Chloe a dressing down. It’s… rough stuff. Georgia, Gabi and Debbie (who’d previously been on-board) let Chloe take the fall, and she’s crushed.

The rest of the article has major spoilers and is in the link

I particularly like the Carrie Fisher line above and this:

And yet, the series ultimately feels more heartbreaking than empowering. That’s because Chloe Chaidez is a supernova, to whom the members of Nasty Cherry should be grateful to have hitched their wagon.