Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: Matthew's All Time Chart

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

by Sun July 3rd, 2005, 10:47

Congratulations on completing your thoroughly enjoyable chart, dude.

Whilst I may not agree with you on some song choices, I'm not surprised Divine Comedy came in first. I remember being so intrigued by your love of a song titled "National Express" I asked you to send it to me via MSN. It's worlds apart from anything that'd appear in a all-time chart of my own, but it's definitely not without it's charm!

I'm not a fan of Elton, but a massive-ass wooop for REM coming at #3, and for "Mad World"'s entry at #4 (even if I am slightly more partial to the original Tears For Fears version ;)).
    Baaaaad relationship??
    The lyric video for my new single TRIP THE ALARM here!

♬ Keen addictions, between afflictions, I guess I had it coming...

Legend
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by Sat July 30th, 2005, 17:11

I love that REM song, quite liked Divine Comedy at the time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Thu September 8th, 2005, 07:01

WOW! So I've been gone for a long time, and it doesn't help that my computer was broken... Congratulations! You have more patience that I would have to do something like that! Still have no clue to what the Divine Comedy is.. but trying to find it in the states. Must say, that I like most of all your choices! Good job!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri September 23rd, 2005, 21:35

Like your Top10 Matthew, an assortment of stuff there all quite good. Especially pleasing was the Carpenters song you choose. Jesse James is brillant also.
    Mobile homes Log cabins uk house plans Log cabin home houses

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri December 16th, 2005, 15:00

Just going to revive this topic.

I've had a good read through it all to refresh my memory on what made the upper reaches of your chart Matthew.

I'm in the process of creating mine at the moment, although it's a pretty hard and arduous tasks. There are many "classics" in your top 100 that won't even make my list (which will probably be a top 1000), but I was actually pleasantly susprised that there are a few songs that will feature near the top of both our charts.

Expect much more pop though obviously, and there'll be zero entries by at least a couple of your top 10 acts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Wed December 21st, 2005, 00:34

From how many songs there are, I'll be offended if The Offspring or Weird Al Yankovic don't make the list.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Mon December 26th, 2005, 14:44

Quote Originally Posted by Baisle
    From how many songs there are, I'll be offended if The Offspring or Weird Al Yankovic don't make the list.
    Prepare to be then, as I can safely reveal neither of them will.

Legend
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

by Fri February 10th, 2006, 16:13

Just scanned your chart for the first time. Wow! There's a lot of stuff i vehemently dislike, but a truckload of classics! You really are the biggest music fan i've come across. I also understand where your moral stance on filthy r'n' b comes from , not to mention your love of 'classical pop' and sentimental power ballads. I too am a Christian, only since 2002, and it's great to see you're still open-minded to 'risque' music to a certain degree, and also great to see several Christian artists. Pity Blondie and Bjork (my all time faves) are so low, but great to see them well represented.
    All my genre arguments with u are forgotten now. It's not you who creates the genre distinctions- it's the marketing people behind the music. I'm going through a difficult time with family illness, i hope you don't mind me sending u a personal e-mail. I could do with some advice, seeing as how your sister was saved from death- Hallelujah!

Out of interest- what do you think of the following Christian acts?
    Kanye West- JESUS WALKS is the most important track of this generation, it is today's equivalent of Bob Dylan emerging.
    Johnny Cash- Legend, obviously.
    Jerry Lee Lewis- Tortured legend.
    P.O.D. -power metal par excellence.
    Evanescence- were/are Christian?- Bring Me To Life is certainly a Jesus reborn allegory.
    Nick Cave- the most unlikely and unconventional Christian, his last album was true 'rock gospel'.
    Plumb.
    Sixpence None The Richer
    Skillet- sort of the Christian Jesus Jones!
    Third Day
    Creed
    Tool- singer Maynard James Keenan has 'attacked' Christianity in the lyrics to his other band A Perfect Circle's JUDITH (written after the death of his mother, something i am facing up to) but there are definite Christian parallels to be drawn in Tool's lyrics: PARABOLA talks of the body being born again, the video- out on DVD Feb 13th, as i'm sure you're sick of me stating!- illustrates this beautifully.
    I mat syart a different thread on this, actually!
    You truly are blessed <Matthew!

Legend
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

by Sat May 25th, 2013, 04:45

5,700+ songs? It's dizzying to even think about composing such a gargantuan countdown!

Anyway, as I was browsing through, I noted that many of the songs charting here made it onto my own all-time songs chart but of course the positions of certain songs greatly differ with you rating many of the older classics far higher than I did. We did rank a certain song from a certain all-time best-selling band in the same position though...

Great list though! I'll be sure to check out your #1 as I have not a clue of the artist nor the song.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, its not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by Sat May 25th, 2013, 05:01

How long did you tabulate this, matthew_dixon?