Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Spice Girls :: Charts & Sales History

Legend
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

by Mon August 13th, 2012, 19:14

Oasis, Elbow and the Spice Girls get album sales surge after Olympics closing ceremony
    Jessie J, Emeli Sande and Annie Lennox have also enjoyed sales boosts after last night's (August 12) show

The Spice Girls performing their biggest #1 hit "Wannabe".

Oasis, Elbow and The Spice Girls have enjoyed surges in the sales after they performed at the Olympics closing ceremony last night (August 12).

Former Oasis singer Liam Gallagher performed their classic 'Wonderwall' for the first time since the band split up in 2009 at the ceremony which has caused the band's 1995 seminal LP '(What's The Story) Morning Glory' to rise to Number 34 in the iTunes Album Chart.

Emeli Sande and Elbow, who also both performed at the ceremony, have enjoyed a massive sales surge, with Sande's album 'Our Version Of Events' up to Number Two and Elbow's 'The Seldom Seen Kid' up to Number Six. The ceremony's official compilation 'A Symphony Of British Music: Music For The Closing Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games' is currently at Number Three.

The Spice Girls' 'Greatest Hits' is up to Number 11, while Kate Bush, a new version of whose track 'Running Up That Hill' was played during the ceremony, has seen her 'Best Of' collection 'The Whole Story' rise to Number 16.

Jessie J, who performed with Tinie Tempah, Taio Cruz and with Queen's Brian May, has seen her debut album 'Who You Are' rise to Number 22, while the 'Best Of' collections of both Annie Lennox and Fatboy Slim are at Number 36 and 37 respectively.

Source: NME
    I wonder how well they will do!

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Mon August 13th, 2012, 19:31

Wannabe
    #43 Hong Kong
    #51 Mexico
    #58 United States
    #94 Japan
    #100 Poland
    #107 Canada
    #118 Nicaragua
    #130 France
    #131 Colombia
    #131 Singapore
    #142 United Kingdom
    #150 Mexico
    #151 Ireland
    #158 Colombia
    #167 Peru
    #186 Finland
    #207 Cyprus
    #210 Austria
    #217 Australia
    #233 Switzerland
    #236 Germany
    #248 Brazil
    #268 New Zealand
    #279 Norway
    #323 Czech Republic
    #391 Denmark

Spice Up Your Life
    #35 Peru
    #62 Hong Kong
    #66 United Kingdom
    #92 United States
    #96 Canada
    #98 Poland
    #101 Ireland
    #117 Nicaragua
    #124 Sweden
    #144 Ecuador
    #173 Mexico
    #186 Spain
    #199 France
    #201 Australia
    #206 Cyprus
    #215 Norway
    #236 Switzerland
    #246 Netherlands
    #249 Brazil
    #256 Singapore
    #311 New Zealand
    #343 Germany
    #394 Denmark

Stop
    #253 Singapore
    #346 United Kingdom
    #350 Canada
    #376 Australia

Viva Forever
    #275 United Kingdom
    #365 Norway

Who Do You Think You Are
    #322 United Kingdom

2 Become 1
    #400 United Kingdom

Spice
    #291 Spain

Albums
    Greatest Hits
    #3 Luxembourg
    #5 Singapore
    #8 Philippines
    #9 Hong Kong
    #10 Canada
    #12 Taiwan
    #13 Malaysia
    #15 Norway
    #23 Portugal
    #32 Colombia
    #42 United Kingdom
    #44 Thailand
    #51 Denmark
    #58 Australia
    #80 Guatemala
    #82 Peru
    #84 New Zealand
    #114 Spain
    #131 Brazil
    #185 Hungary
    #229 France

Spice Girls: Greatest Hits
    #7 United Kingdom
    #7 New Zealand
    #22 Ireland
    #26 Australia
    #26 Belgium
    #32 Chile
    #33 United States
    #33 France
    #45 Netherlands
    #67 Mexico
    #70 Japan
    #75 Brazil
    #78 Austria
    #103 Germany
    #134 Italy
    #153 Nicaragua
    #163 Czech Republic
    #228 Spain
    #231 Argentina

Spice
    #48 Mexico
    #65 United States
    #72 Canada
    #86 Australia
    #104 Brazil
    #113 France
    #116 United Kingdom
    #154 Netherlands
    #203 Singapore
    #221 Italy
    #225 Spain
    #250 Thailand
    #302 Malaysia
    #352 Peru

Spice World
    #64 Canada
    #104 United States
    #134 Australia
    #149 Mexico
    #211 Brazil
    #277 United Kingdom
    #306 Peru

Pavarotti & Friends for the Children of Liberia
    #60 Costa Rica
    #202 Dominican Republic

Spice Girls - Greatest Hits
    #156 Netherlands

Wannabe - EP
    #189 Venezuela

Forever
    #396 Brazil
    #400 Thailand

Roadie
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by Mon August 13th, 2012, 19:41

Wow. One performance boosts their sales that much. Amazing.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by Mon August 13th, 2012, 22:35

The GH is up to #7 in UK

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 00:52

US iTunes
    57. Wannabe - Spice Girls
    87. Spice Up Your Life - Spice Girls
    406. Say You'll Be There - Spice Girls
    655. Spice Up Your Life (Stent Radio Mix) - Spice Girls
    823. Stop - Spice Girls
    887. 2 Become 1 - Spice Girls
    997. Wannabe (Radio Edit) - Spice Girls

32. Spice Girls : Greatest Hits - Spice Girls
    62. Spice - Spice Girls
    104. Spice World - Spice Girls

Great girls!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 03:22

Amazing!
    It feels like 1997 all over again!
    You ain't gotta break down,
    YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Legend
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 05:31

Ugh! If only they were able to make time for promoting a new era, they could do it all again!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 12:43

Brilliant! I love the girls so much, the performance was flawless and they deserve to sell lots more of their Grestest Hits!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 13:45

I want them back
    they are huge in india till today
    My
    Ultimate Faves :- " true legends - The Beatles, Queen - Britney, Prince
    - Justin Timberlake, True Soul - Adele, Sweetheart -
    Taylor Swift "

Legend
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 16:32

"Greatest Hits" album #7 on UK Midweeks.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 16:37

Fantastic! 5 minutes can do wonders Hope for total sales info on Monday

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 16:46

Quote Originally Posted by LostAvenger
    with the state of UK album sales at the moment I wouldn't be surprised at all if it got back into the top ten.
    http://nobilliards.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- Brilliant blog about all the UK No 1 albums.

The Diva
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 19:18

Quote Originally Posted by LostAvenger
    Amazing! I just entered this thread to say I can't wait to see where it will re-enter the chart. Things are looking good. It's still #6 on iTunes so hopefully it will stay top 10.

Legend
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 19:19

Other news so far: "Wannabe" is at #123. No news on "SUYL" yet.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 19:40

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack
    Ugh! If only they were able to make time for promoting a new era, they could do it all again!
    I don't think so... Remember the "Headlines/Greatest hits" era?
    They are a great nostalgic memory but I don't think they could fit in the current music industry very well.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 19:51

Quote Originally Posted by argentino78
    I don't think so... Remember the "Headlines/Greatest hits" era?
    They are a great nostalgic memory but I don't think they could fit in the current music industry very well.
    I agree with this.
    As much as I love them, I think they should let their legacy untouchable. "Headlines" was very subpar and I still remember the epic flop it was. Everyone expected nothing but a #1, it was very surprising to know it stalled and went on to be the lowest selling CIN single or something...
    You ain't gotta break down,
    YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 20:18

We can all agree, Headlines was very weak for their standards and not exactly the song you expect for the SG comeback.. And not that I want to excuse the flop but:
    -It had very very little airplay
    -Just one performance on TV (and the song was shortened), and no more promo.
    -The release was a mess... Release for downloads and then 2 weeks later, when the album was already out (!!!), the physical single... Had it been released at the same time it was available for d/l it would have obviously been Top 10. Not #1, that's for sure, but maybe Top 5.

But, anyway, even though I'm such a big fan, and I loooooove to see them together, I don't want them to reform either. If they'd release something sounding 2012, people would say, "That's not what the Spice Girls are" (exactly what happened with Forever). And if they release something with their 90's sound, people would say they're dated and repetitive and there's no room for them in 2012.

I prefer something like the Return tour or this performance, those occasional performances that make us all so excited and which, in my opinion, have helped A LOT to improve their public image... Now it's cool again to enjoy the Spice Girls! And I prefer them to leave it at the top, as one of the biggest bands ever, instead of releasing new stuff to flop and become 'has beens', like BSB, for example.

Legend
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 20:56

The "Headlines" song was definitely weak for their standards, and they knew it. It wasn't like they were gunning for #1, there were definitely no expectations for that song, (the pressure was concentrated on their tour and reunion) even in the Spice Girls forums over the internet, fans were disappointed they even considered releasing a ballad for a comeback single. Also, even Mel C called it crap, not single-worthy and bashed it to some extent.

The greatest hits album will not do well for obvious reasons, everyone had the albums, and they were coming back after a 7 year hiatus, with no intentions whatsoever of really coming back, until they agreed upon it the last minute, so it wasn't going to explode like P!nk's Greatest Hits... So Far!!! or Britney's Greatest Hits: My Prerogative which had career-high momentums to back up on.

Of course, I know that they would not be selling like Adele or Gaga, and not even close to Katy and Rihanna level, but when to comes to "celebrated" artists, there is still strong hype surrounding them especially when they're all together as a five-piece. When it comes to "making it happen again", I was referring to the collaborative creative vibe and effort they put in their first two eras especially, when they were really into it, not like in the diabolical Forever era where they didn't really care anymore and weren't even present altogether for the most part of the album's production.

If you noticed, their impact is still very much powerful, much more than any diva, girl group or female entertainer in the past twenty years. And yes, their status has been hurt and tainted somehow, it's not like their legacy is as untarnished as that of The Beatles. Let's not forget the ultra flop Forever album which was indeed one of the most disastrous flops of all time especially for a supergroup (promotional excuses included), and that was just released 3 short years after their untouched "Spice Mania" career high, so if we were to talk about the fastest acts to burn out and crash to the depths of abysmal irrelevance, they were the certainly the first on the chopping block, not the Backstreet Boys or other super pop groups.

Anyway, I'm actually surprised that even today, there are still some children who know their songs, and even in the reunion concert and Olympics performance, I thought I was the last of the children (of the 1990s) to know of their music. Their impact brings so much nostalgia, and it's celebrated and witnessed by so many people, wish they were still together as a group! A fan can wish!

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Tue August 14th, 2012, 20:59

Headlines was a typical Spice Girls song, but it was also too pop for current standards. Anyway, I'm still shocked it flopped hard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Wed August 15th, 2012, 12:32

It's so impressive seeing the GH doing so well

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed August 15th, 2012, 16:25

UK Mids
    #9 GH

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu August 16th, 2012, 04:34

would be cool if they made Top 10 in the end

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Fri August 17th, 2012, 00:27

One off reunions for events like the Olympics they can pull off because clearly they remain a nostalgic draw.

As for enjoyign a new 'era'?

They tried to relaunch themsleves with their third studio album and then their reunion greatest hits album. But neither were successful.

I doubt there's any future for them in regards to releasing new material. I doubt they have much chance of even having a successful reunion tour.

The Diva
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

by Fri August 17th, 2012, 00:30

Love them, but I agree that they should perhaps only reunite on special occasions.

I would love for them to take over the world again with a new album, but I think they would flop and it would further tarnish their legacy.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Fri August 17th, 2012, 00:36

Quote Originally Posted by Rub_rb
    We can all agree, Headlines was very weak for their standards and not exactly the song you expect for the SG comeback.. And not that I want to excuse the flop but:
    -It had very very little airplay
    -Just one performance on TV (and the song was shortened), and no more promo.
    -The release was a mess... Release for downloads and then 2 weeks later, when the album was already out (!!!), the physical single... Had it been released at the same time it was available for d/l it would have obviously been Top 10. Not #1, that's for sure, but maybe Top 5.

But, anyway, even though I'm such a big fan, and I loooooove to see them together, I don't want them to reform either. If they'd release something sounding 2012, people would say, "That's not what the Spice Girls are" (exactly what happened with Forever). And if they release something with their 90's sound, people would say they're dated and repetitive and there's no room for them in 2012.

I prefer something like the Return tour or this performance, those occasional performances that make us all so excited and which, in my opinion, have helped A LOT to improve their public image... Now it's cool again to enjoy the Spice Girls! And I prefer them to leave it at the top, as one of the biggest bands ever, instead of releasing new stuff to flop and become 'has beens', like BSB, for example.
    HeadLines was a 'Children In Need' Charity single! In the UK, you don't get much bigger promo that! Yet, if I recall correctly, it was the first of these charity singles to miss the Top 10.

As per my last post, they are novelty act. Nothing more.
    Yes, the Greatest Hits may sell after an event like the Olympics but what are its sales in a normal week?
    In a normal week, their other three albums sell nothing of significance too and they do not get any radio airplay for their old hits.

The forthcoming musical may elevate them to a better standing. It will be interesting to see what it can do for them? The Queen and Abba musicals certainly helped those two groups so let's see....