5) I Love New York
    6) Let It Will Be
    7) Forbidden Love
    8) Jump
    9) How High
    10) Isaac
    11) Push
    12) Like It Or Not

Does anyone know if #7 is a new version of the 1994 "Forbidden Love" (from "Bedtime Stories")?
    Check out my new blog! http://wwadh.blogspot.com
    It's all about UK and US pop music.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Thu September 22nd, 2005, 14:40

'Sorry', 'Jump' 'Push'... I have to admit I'm not really liking the titles that much!

by » Thu September 22nd, 2005, 14:44

Anyone else notice that "Jump" is followed by "How High"?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

by » Fri September 23rd, 2005, 13:29

Forbidden Love is completely new track eventhough it has the same title as the song n "BS" album

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Fri September 23rd, 2005, 13:37

I thought she retired from the music scene. This is good news I so love her.
    Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney

by » Fri September 23rd, 2005, 15:17

Quote Originally Posted by hellohello
    I thought she retired from the music scene. This is good news I so love her.
    What made you think she retired. She might be older, but she's not going anywhere anytime soon

by » Sat October 15th, 2005, 01:14

Quote Originally Posted by grooveboy
    Forbidden Love is completely new track eventhough it has the same title as the song n "BS" album
    I hate it when an artist has two songs with the same title. :x

According to the press release posted in the Hung Up thread, there will be no ballads. Pity, I'd like a couple - Madonna's so good at them.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Thu October 20th, 2005, 21:11

Review

Confessions On A Dance Floor
    Track by track
    HUNG UP: Featuring a sample from Abba’s Gimme Gimme Gimme this is a massive floor filler and a clear No1 single.

While there’s no way on earth a straight bloke could be seen dead dancing to this camp tune it will go down a storm when she performs it at London’s G.A.Y. nightclub next month. 9

GET TOGETHER: Upbeat track which borrows the bass line from the Stardust dance classic Music Sounds Better With You. She sings, “Do you believe we can change the future?” 8

SORRY: One of the best tracks on the album and likely to be the second single. You’ll recognise the infectious bass line on the chorus as it’s a sample from The Jacksons’ 1981 hit Can You Feel It.

The opening features Madonna saying “sorry” in lots of different languages. 10

FUTURE LOVERS: Madonna wrote this with Mirwais Ahmadzai, who produced her No1 album, Music.

It’s heavy on synths and you can spot a sample from the Donna Summer/Moroder club anthem I Feel Love. 9

I LOVE NEW YORK: Banging dance tune with lyrics featuring a pop at George Bush and his home state. She sings: “If you don’t like my attitude then you can just f off. Just go to Texas, that’s where they play golf.”

The chorus is: “Los Angeles is for those who sleep, Paris and London baby you can keep, No other city will make me dance like New York” 10

LET IT WILL BE: Oddly titled track uses the string opening from Papa Don’t Preach played on a synth. The track is reminiscent of Ray Of Light.

An Eighties-sounding string of chords takes the track into the following number. 10

FORBIDDEN LOVE: This is Kraftwerk inspired and features computer generated, vocoder style vocals.

It sounds very Eighties and is slightly slower than the rest of the album (there are no ballads at all on the CD). 8

JUMP: Features classic Madonna vocals and is reminiscent of Into The Groove. She sings: “The only thing you can depend on is your family.” 9

HOW HIGH: All about Madonna analysing and evaluating her fame and success. She sings: “It’s funny I spent my whole life wanting to be talked about, Was it all worth it? I guess I deserve it, How high are the stakes?” 10

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Thu October 20th, 2005, 21:14

You forgot the last three!

ISAAC: By far my favourite track — a stunning combination of wild rhythms, a hypnotic jewish chant and loads of strings and guitars. The ending is borrowed from Die Another Day. I defy anyone to not be blown away by this track. 11

PUSH: A love song for Madonna’s husband Guy. It’s got a funky La Isla Bonita vibe about it and is ear-marked as a possible single.

She sings about Guy: “I owe it all to you, It’s because you push me, Keep on pushing like nobody.” 10

LIKE IT OR NOT: A bit like her hit Fever, this song is once again Madonna analysing herself and saying, take me as I am.

She sings: “You can call me a sinner or a saint, This is who I am, You can like it or not, You can love me or leave me, But I’m never going to stop.”

This track completes the album beautifully with a classical guitar ending. Quite clever to put out a wholly electronic album – and close it with an acoustic guitar. 10
    Wow, I'm seriously interested in 'Isaac'!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Thu October 20th, 2005, 22:05

Why did she use so many Samples?

And I read that there are no "Pauses" betwen the tracks like a DJ mixtape album. Is this correct?
    i'm living in the future, so the presence is my past. my presence is a present, kiss my ass!

Legend
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

by » Fri October 21st, 2005, 17:25

Can't wait for this, from the reviews it sounds like a modern classic!

by » Sat October 22nd, 2005, 07:21

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    Can't wait for this, from the reviews it sounds like a modern classic!
    I sooo agree with you. If the rest of the album is like Hung Up, it's going to have massive success IMO

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue October 25th, 2005, 18:02

Found this on www.drownedmadonna.com

Hung Up
    You’ve all heard the album version of this, so there’s no point in me telling you about it. I love it, it’s a great opener. 9/10

Get Together
    As the clock ticking of Hung Up goes from that song to this, it begins with an alarm clock ringing and what sounds like a siren. With a heavy bass, the vocals fade in and out and there’s more than a hint of Music Sounds Better With You to start with, but not the whole way through, and the drum sounds like its played backwards in places.
    “Do you believe in love at first sight?” she asks.
    The vocal style reminds me a little of Substitute For Love, very gentle and melodic, at odds with the instrumental.
    “Do you believe we can change the future,” she asks.
    The dance beat comes in and out throughout, which sets the style for much of the album. When it comes back, it’s with the line ‘it’s all an illusion, there’s too much confusion.’
    The rhythmic beat is like a heartbeat, I really like this track. 8/10

Sorry
    As Get Together fades out with orchestration, Sorry begins with her saying sorry in a variety of different languages. Muffled vocals and the words ‘I’ve heard it all before’ (which appear a lot in this song) repeat to a climax until the chorus kicks the song off properly. There are shades of The Jackson’s Can You Feel It, but this sounds more like the Tamperers version from a few years back. To me, it uses the vocal style of Words.
    The song fades out and she says sorry in English, then more languages and builds up background vocals of ‘I heard it all before’ repeated again and again until the chorus re-appears.
    The end fades out with the words ‘Don’t explain yourself cos talk is cheap, I don’t wanna hear, I don’t wanna know’. The last words are vocodered and slowed down as it launches into Future Lovers.
    Another strong song, and worthy of a single. 8/10

Future Lovers
    Obvious references to Donna Summer’s I Feel Love here, and oddly, Kylie’s Light Years! It takes a while to build up and kicks off with spoken vocals and a strong synth line. It’s a strong album track, but for me, no single. The vibe is very ambient trance.
    ‘I’m going to tell you about love’ she preaches, ‘There’s no love like future love’.
    There’s also loads of weird vocal affects, she sounds like she’s singing ‘give me evidence of its brilliance,’ but I’m not sure. This is a very Goldfrapp meets Kylie style song. A perfect title for it, as its very futuristic. Like most other songs, the synths burst in and out, go quiet, build up and crashes back into your ears. She’s singing at least three things at once in parts with layers of vocals. 7/10

I Love New York
    This is a strange kettle of fish. Odd lyrics, a strong dance beat, kind of catchy but kind of cold.
    “Other places make me feel like a dork” she rhymes. “LA is for people who sleep. Paris and London baby you can keep.”
    It tanks along for a couple of verses and choruses before she repeats the words ‘baby you can keep’ over and over again til it fades out. “If you don’t like my attitude you can F-off’ – no Fuck, just an ‘f’.
    “New York is not for little pussies who scream.” Fair enough, Madge.
    Some of the lyrics are partly sung, partly spoken. With some prudent editing, this could be a single. Not an immediate one for me though. It ends with an instrumental of the song and police sirens, with orchestral stabs like Die Another Day. 7/10

Let It Will Be
    Nope, not a Beatles cover but a real Euro-pop style track, one of only couple of pop-based songs on the album. There’s more of a diversity of chords to this, a faint glimmer of Love Profusion with a 70s style disco beat. The lyrics are a bit banal, and the orchestration stays strong throughout. But it’s one of my favourites. 9/10

Forbidden Love
    As Let It Will Be Fades out to just vocals and orchestra, Forbidden Love begins with a strange almost Japanese like intro, just a synth then vocals under the influence of the vocoder, a bit Daft Punk-ish. Actually, it could have easily come from a Royksopp album as its very ambient. I thought I heard shades of the Scissor Sisters’ Comfortably Numb in the instrumentation. Although I could be just deaf.
    “Just one kiss, just one touch, just one look” she pleads. Again, not a single ,but an OK album track. 7/10

Jump
    This ironically jumps out at you, I adore the start of this track, a thumping 1970s bassline, spoken intro vocals. It’s the most retro track on the album.
    “Just get ready to jump, take my hand” she asks, and I’m with her the whole way down. Synths, a handclapping machine, and lyrics about how you can only rely on your family. It’s a sequel (lyrically) to Keep It Together. A nice positive message. 8/10

How High
    Ohh, this is a dark little bastard. Vocoders again, robotic-like vocals, like Stuart Price used in his remix of Missy Elliot’s Out Of Control’.
    It’s an aggressive, angry start, with self questioning lyrics like ‘Was It Worth It seeing my name in lights?’ In places, vocally she sounds like Texas’s Sharleen Spiteri. She questions ‘Will any of this matter when I’m gone?’’
    Yes Madge, it probably will. This has the potential for some great remixes. Once again, there’s shades of Die another Day orchestration meets Studio 54. 8/10

Isaac
    This is the one I was looking forward to hearing the most, and it’s certainly the most unique track on the whole record. It starts off like a classical tune, with plucked violin strings, followed by a man chanting; he keeps coming back throughout. The guitars come in, fast drum beats and spiritual lyrics like ‘May angels call your name til you hear what they are saying.”
    There’s Eastern influences in this, and this to me, is an amalgamation of Don’t Tell Me, Ashanti and Die Another Day. She also uses the ‘mmmmm’ bits from Frozen. It’s very hard to explain. It’s not a single, and although it works, I think after a while I’ll be skipping over it. 7/10 (for now)

Push
    Wow. Here the pace changes, its sharp, phat, hip hop drums meet electronica are not what you are expecting. It’s the slowest song, she repeats the words ‘you push me’ over and over. The verses have sparse very dark music behind them, but the chorus is totally different, it’s incredibly uplifting. It’s a very unusual record, but one that I love.
    “Every move I make, every step I take, everything I do, because you push me.”
    Again, some of the instruments at times appear to be played backwards. My favourite track on the record, but it will divide a lot of you. 10/10

Like It Or Not
    I didn’t. Once again starting orchestrally, sounding like a classical song, the Goldfrapp style beat kicks in and it goes in a different direction. ‘Celebrate me for who I am’ she yells. It’s an attack on the people who dislike her, albeit a very kaballistic version. “Your names will never hurt” she says defiantly.
    It’s full of spiritual bible references, and some tragic lyrics. The worst being ‘ I’ll be the garden, you’ll be the snake, all of my fruit are for you to take.” Oh Christ, it’s the tree of life all over again isn’t it? It ends with classical guitars and is not the best song to end an album with. I don’t think much of this, although it could be a grower. 5/10

Johnny’s final word:
    So there you have it. I’m tired after hearing it, it’s exhausting. It’s so well layered, I imagine hearing new things every time I play it. It’s not as fun as I thought it would (for fun, see uplifting tracks like Cherish) but it’s very clever and very enjoyable.
    You’ll see Stuart Price has a formula, built up intro, verses, choruses, fade out, fade back and end with synths and orchestras. But nothing on this sounds tired or old, it’s fresh and it’s a bloody good listen. Final rating: it’s up there with the best, you won’t be disappointed. A solid 8/10

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue October 25th, 2005, 18:50

sounds incredible. hung up is such a head banging tune, this is gonna be wicked a album. i like that it says it's well layered and not over edited. sounds promising.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Tue October 25th, 2005, 19:13

so whens this masterpiece gunna be released?
    i shall put it on my wish list that week! hehe
    Oh can u find me in the darkness and love... dont let me down.

Legend
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

by » Tue October 25th, 2005, 19:18

The cover looks cheap and tacky, but the fonts look good. And my back feels sore now after seeing it!
    Heartbroken? Lovesick? Drunk?
    The video for my new single BOTTLE DOWN here!

♬ Once more, to the store, I'm a bottle down, again...

by » Tue October 25th, 2005, 20:56

i suppose if the songs are as good as "hung up" then it will be quite a good album really

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed November 2nd, 2005, 20:47

The album leaked!!!!!!!!!

Get it at WorldMix

edit: we had to remove the link. muzicmatters.net is actually gone now because they shared it!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

by » Wed November 2nd, 2005, 21:01

Oh I won't ruin my expectation....The expectation will make those songs so different when I rip of plastic, open the box and play the cd in player! Downloading doesn't have that magic

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed November 2nd, 2005, 21:14

^Same here, though I think it will take a while for the album to be imported over here! :x

by » Wed November 2nd, 2005, 23:05

I'm really disappointed, for me I think even "American Life" was a stronger album. After all the hype, there's nothing that particularly exciting about it. It's all a bit bland, like.

by » Thu November 3rd, 2005, 01:21

Quote Originally Posted by loopdaloop_69
    Anyone else notice that "Jump" is followed by "How High"?
    I thought the same!

Album sounds good, might get it for XMas
    You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

by » Thu November 3rd, 2005, 11:01

I love it, the Queen of pop is well and truly back!!

Highlights for me include the stunning 'Issac', 'Sorry', 'Push' and 'Let It Will Be'.

I love the fact all the songs merge into one whole mix. It's fabulous, album of the year by miles!!

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Thu November 3rd, 2005, 13:14

OMG!! it leaked

i'm gonna wait for it too.