Page 2 of 174 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin :: Charts & Sales History

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Tue October 11th, 2005, 22:11

Ah, a voice of dissent... don't you know Zeppelin did not release singles in the UK? It was a policy of theirs + Peter Grant. Led Zep was an album band... singles did'nt interest them in the UK.

Zep always had a significant UK following, and plenty of gold + platinum records from the start. Hint: this was BEFORE the BPI era (1973-present), but Zeppelin still earned plenty of UK certifications 1969-1973.

Zeppelin had a massive fan base early on in the UK, just take the Bath festival of June 1969: 80,000 people attended. Zep headlined it, this being less than a year of their debut as a band. Quick success followed them anywhere they went.

As for your statement about certifications? Zeps first 4 albums sold about a million each, and BPI only covers releases from 1971-onwards. That leaves Zep I,II, and III out of the BPI's tally. LZ IV has been listed at Platinum x5. Certifications hardly ever tell the story; sales however, do.

Zeppelins sales in the UK are as follows for their first four: Zeppelin I sold 1 million, Zeppelin II sold 2 million, Zeppelin III sold 1.5 million and Zepplin IV sold 1.5 million. Not overwhelming numbers here, but certainly consistent and respectable success.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed October 12th, 2005, 00:02

i know what youre saying asm. I am a very big zep fan but agree with what youre saying. yeah they had the 8 consecutive number ones, but nothing really looks that good after 4 in the guiness book. the weeks stayed in chart are very shit after 4. cant remember youre name, but, nice thread about the compelation stuff really knocking the catolgue to sh1t, so true it just aint shiftin, the uk sales for the double package (early days')absouloutly sh1ts on htwww, bbc sessions or any catalogue cd/lp. from its time of release, (308000) so far.

by Wed October 12th, 2005, 00:04

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir75
    One thing that has slowed down Zeppelin sales is the damned file sharing out there... it's really taken a toll on Zeppelin revenues the past 5 yrs. :( I smile every time the RIAA comes out with a new lawsuit against those people. They are not fans of music, they are just common thieves.
    I don't think that's the whole of it. File-sharing hasn't put a damper in AC/DC or Pink Floyd (two "contemporary" artists). A lot of people probably don't feel the need to buy Led Zeppelin IV when the bulk of the songs are on Early Days. When you consider that Early Days and the Early Days/Latter Days have sold over 2 million in the past 5 years, that somehow justifies it.

Also, it wouldn't hurt for Warner to drop the price on the albums anyways. "Back In Black"'s sales are twice now that it's midline priced than it was when the retail was $18.99. If Warner dropped the price of "Led Zeppelin IV" from full-price to midline, the sales will spike. It's kind of a joke that Zeppelin IV costs three times now on CD that it did to buy on record in 1971, and for reasons like that, I don't feel sorry for the RIAA when people "steal" music.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed October 12th, 2005, 00:08

thats mad in the Uk back in black has never dropped to midprice, its always 9.99 at the cheapest, you can pick LZ4 for 4.99 sometimes, usually 9.99, but drops all the time to 5 or 6.

by Wed October 12th, 2005, 00:27

Quote Originally Posted by jimmypages59
    thats mad in the Uk back in black has never dropped to midprice, its always 9.99 at the cheapest, you can pick LZ4 for 4.99 sometimes, usually 9.99, but drops all the time to 5 or 6.
    that's weird how different it is in US and UK, in the US, LZ4 is always full list-price, while Back In Black is constantly available for $8.99-10.99 here (compared to $15.99-18.99 for LZ4). Since Epic reissued BIB in 2003 at a lower price than what Atlantic was charging, the sales of it have been much higher, almost always in the top 20 on Pop Catalog these days (while it rarely made the pop catalog charts pre-2003, and when it did, it was never top 5 like it sometimes is now)

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed October 12th, 2005, 00:33

in the UK back in black sells nothing a year, couple of thousand if youre lucky, LZ4 10-20 thousand a year. so neither is particularly spectacular. even at a cheap price does not exactly fly of the shelves. they are just not that big in the UK, more a big, big cult following.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed October 12th, 2005, 10:05

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    Since Epic reissued BIB in 2003 at a lower price than what Atlantic was charging, the sales of it have been much higher, almost always in the top 20 on Pop Catalog these days
    That is correct, Epic's version is selling better, especially since the DualDisc was released in feb05.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    (while it rarely made the pop catalog charts pre-2003, and when it did, it was never top 5 like it sometimes is now)
    That is not true. Atlantic's version charted 437 times from 1991-2003 peaking at # 1. (so far Epic's version peaked at # 2)
    In the 2002 year end catalog chart it was # 15. (however Epic's version was # 11 last year and will probably reach the top 10 this year)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed October 12th, 2005, 10:12

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir75
    BPI only covers releases from 1971-onwards. That leaves Zep I,II, and III out of the BPI's tally.
    Ah, I see. Didn't know that, thanks.

by Wed October 12th, 2005, 13:53

Dear Kashmir Do you reside in the UK? It was BATH 1970! that Zeppelin headlined! Ans I REPEAT!! in the 1970's at the actual time their LP's came out in the U.K they did not break ANY sales figures! in 1969 Led Zep 1 only sold 75,000 UK sales. in 69/70 L.Z 2 did approx 200.000! It was a MILE! behind Simon & Garfunkel. NOT ONE of their 70's albums on year of release challenged Beatles, Abba, Saturday Night Fever, Grease or The BAY CITY ROLLERS in UK sales terms! Yes I know they didn't release UK singles! They were the main culprits of that Snotty "Feels Like A Grown Up Caught In The Kiddies Playground" Mentality that certain `Heavy/Progressive` groups had in late 60's/early 70's. All i'm asking for is a bit of reality please! Led Zeppelin were certainly popular in the UK from 1969-76 but not especially so! Not like in the USA. I was around in that era-and I can assure you that LED ZEPPELIN never came close to the popularity of The Beatles or Rolling Stones!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Wed October 12th, 2005, 16:18

For the record, Led Zep played four times at Bath. '68, '69, '70 and '71.

And from their era 1968-80, *no one* had more #1's in the UK than Led Zep. Don't get mad at me about it, go yell at the charts or something.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed October 12th, 2005, 19:10

Of the top of my head they only played Bath Festival in 69 and 70. They did not do another UK festival until 1979 (Knebworth).

As for the 8 No. 1's yes that is some feat and its only in the past five years or so that a lot of very established artists and groups have caught up with them or passed them onto 9, taking a hell of a lot longer to do so. But as for weeks on chart (about 500 i think), weeks at number and units shifted they unfortunately don't stand up very well against groups like Queen, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd all near or over 1000 weeks, Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel have had one Lp that has stayed at No1 longer than Zep's 8 (14 weeks) as for units shifted its easily LZ2 and LZ4 that are their biggest sellers (about 1.5 million each) but artists like Dido have better selling albums (2 CD's at 2.5m or more). Even from their time (70's)albums like Dark Side' & Bridge Over' and Rumours easily outsold/outsell the leading Zep sellers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Wed October 12th, 2005, 20:48

They played twice at the Bath Pavilion, and twice at the Bath Festival.

Several groups have 8 or more #1 albums in a music career, but what's amazing is that Zep had *consecutive #1's*. Abba had 8 #1's over 6 yrs, the Beatles 7 #1's over 3 yrs. Zep had 8 over 10 yrs. In this sense, they dominated the 70's UK music scene.

by Thu October 13th, 2005, 14:21

Kashmir 75 I am peeved at you-because you definatly seem to have virtually no idea about the music scene in the UK late 60's early 70's. For me-your thread is MIsrepresentation of the true appeal Zeppelin had!In the UK certainly! Unlike the states they weren't worshipped as demi-gods, just another very successfull group like Deep purple, T.rex, Slade etc. In fact circa 1972-74 Slade meant more to UK record buyers than Zeppelin. Your UK sales figures are to be judged mostly on CD sales from the 80's/90's. And sure! on those Zeppelin have done superb! BUT! when the original Vinyl albums were released, they set no UK sales records at all! Far from it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Thu October 13th, 2005, 14:36

If some one wants to repond to asm, feel free. :-?

by Thu October 13th, 2005, 15:02

Kashmir I'm happy to have people reply to me! I just find some of the stuff you posted utterly untenable! E.G in your third post you stated that on 31 Jan 1970 Led Zep toppled the Beatles on charts, and A few months later the Beatles quit! Revelation! So John, Paul, George & Ringo weren't at each others throats! They quit because Led Zeppelin had toppled them! You state Led Zep had broken the Beatles run of Eightin a row Melody Maker poll wins by 1970. Yes the MM poll came out in Sept 1970, by then the Beatles weren't a group any more. AND the Rolling Stones beat The Beatles in the 1964 MM poll! which means The Beatles only won Five in a row 1965/6/7/8 & 9. Finally this `BATH` businness! What Bath pavillion has got to to woth the Shepton Mallet Bath Festival in Somerset is beyond me-and i'm sure any other British readers of your thread! The 1969 BATH festival was well overshadowed by Blind Faith's and Rolling Stones Hyde Park Festivals In June/July, Zeppelin shared equal billing in 1969 with Fleetwood Mac, but that years festival didn't make much of a real impact, due to the Two Hyde Park spectaculars mentioned. Zeppelin really made 1969 headlines in their Sunday 28th June Pop Proms Night at the Royal Albert Hall, along with The Liverpool Scene Group, and some of Fleetwood Mac who joined in a Rock N' Roll finale! That was Zeppelins REAL breakthrough UK gig! It was the Bath festival (Shepton Mallet) in July 1970 they were the acknowledged headline act. THAT was the BIG Bath Festival! OK! I know i'm sounding tough-but I really feel that your thread was far too subjective! and the UK Zeppelin popularity data so WAY OUT!

by Thu October 13th, 2005, 17:16

I think Led Zeppelin were one of the greatest rock groups ever but with regards to their UK impact, I have to agree with ASM on the matter.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by Thu October 13th, 2005, 17:22

Physical Graffiti is now 2xPlatinum in UK...
    25 June 2009, the day the Music died

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu October 13th, 2005, 23:41

well it says that in the music week chart, yeah two times platinum. Yet it only has the 3 weeks, the 3 weeks that it has rentered at, should that be added to the 27 originally, 30 now.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu October 13th, 2005, 23:43

ASM while i justify what you say and have said so in previous arguments. Why have you got such a problem with Led Zeppelin?

by Fri October 14th, 2005, 14:17

Dear Jimmy I don't have a problem with Zeppelin themselves! I really rate a lot of their stuff very highly. The first LP is for me-a masterpiece! an outstanding debut on any level! I'm lucky enough to have a copy (Plum Label) with the groups name on the cover in Turquoise! I also adore the Third LP-fantastic musical variety, showing a dexterity that put them above Sabbath & Purple! (I believe it got panned by American critics though!)Its the way Kashmir 75 presented the thread on them which got to me! Some of his `facts` -especially pertaining to Zeppelin acheivements in the UK, were off the ball. To just put sales figures without explaining how they came about and over what time-scale, I believe, is paramount to such a thread! I actually enjoy much of Zeppelins output, with only "In Through The Out Door" misfiring!For me it was a disaster! Anyhow, I just wanted to put in perspective their sales and other achievements of the period 1969-79 particulary UK wise! Sorry if I was a bit rough though!

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri October 14th, 2005, 17:30

ASM, fair enough. I suppose I used to (when I was younger) pretend that Zep were up there in the UK, with regard to everyhing, sales, fans etc, but in subsequent years I have taken a more rational outlook on their status In the UK. They certainly are a very big band, but really can't compete with a lot of other artists in the UK. Queen for instance are nowhere near Zep interms of US sales, fans, concert attendances, yet over here they are massive easily beating Zep on all accounts. I really think in a way the no singles decision, has kind of back fired on them in the long run. Bands like Queen, Beatles, U2, Rolling Stones etc, through singles, tv appearances, videos have placed themselves more and deeper into the minds of the UK music buying public, well general public. 8 UK number 1's is a remarkable feat (out of 9 releases, at the time) but I put that down to a very large hardcore fanbase, they dont sell (beyond say the first 4 LP's) to the general public as much as say The Beatles or Queen, look at best of sales for the 3 bands, Remasters has done Double Platinum 600,000 in the UK (probably more now), but the Beatles and Queen comps' have shifted immense amounts. I feel the same could be levelled at Pink Floyd, OK Dark Side still sells, maybe The Wall and Wish You Were Here do as well, but beyond that I can't imagine anything still shifting great number per year (maybe Echoes). You could ask any Joe Bloggs of the street to name 10 Queen, Beatles, Rolling Stones songs and they could, but I'd be surprised if your average man knew 1 Zep song outside Stairway To Heaven, same with The Floyd maybe Another Brick, Wish You Were Here, but not many or any more.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri October 14th, 2005, 18:59

Quote Originally Posted by jimmypages59
    I suppose I used to (when I was younger) pretend that Zep were up there in the UK, with regard to everyhing, sales, fans etc, but in subsequent years I have taken a more rational outlook on their status In the UK.
    That's how I feel about AC/DC. I've always thought they were HUGE in the UK too, but after finding this forum I've realized they were nowhere as big in the UK as in the US (or as in Germany, France & Spain for that matter...)

Still they're my faves and that's what really counts for me

by Thu October 20th, 2005, 15:15

Jimmy Zeppelin taking the stance not to release any `official` singles certainly is a factor! In the 1969/70 era the singles chart was seen a a sort of `Kiddies Playground` by many of the Heavy/Progressive outfits of that era! Remember, the practise of trailing a single to promote the parent LP was virtually unknown in the UK then-unlike the states! (I think Blondies "Parrallel Lines" L.P in 1979 changed this) Zeppelin were the most prominent act not to have a single out! I feel that when the singles market became more relevant circa 1971-75 they might have dipped a toe in the water! By 1976-79 Zeppelin were virtually the most castigated act by the Punk/New Wave explosion! Sadly I think they had painted them selves into a corner! Look at the difference in sales and critical impact of "In Through The Out Door" in UK and USA! Hard to say if like Queen (Who were similary abused in the late 70's) they could have regained ground in the UK!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

by Sat October 22nd, 2005, 13:11

Hello,
    Only ABBA and Led Zeppelin had 8 Number 1 UK albums in a row.

In the end, ABBA had 9, when 'Gold' made Number 1 in 1992. (And again in 1999)

However, The Beatles had about 15 UK Number 1 Albums - beating both Groups - but, their most in a row was 7.

ODDLY, the 8th - and final - Led Zeppelin UK Number 1 Album, ('In Through The Out Door'), was recorded at ABBA's Polar Music Studios, in Stockholm, in 1979(?). Or was it in late 1978?

So, the only 2 Groups, that 8 UK Number 1 Albums in a row, recorded Albums at the SAME Swedish Studios, at one stage! ABBA were doing, 'Voulez Vous', and Led Zeppelin, did, 'In Through The Out Door'.

A weird coincidence really.

Not that either Album influenced the other! (LOL!).

Colin