Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane's Top 1000 Of The Last 8 Years [DONE!] :With Graphix

Legend
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

by Tue April 25th, 2006, 22:57

Well I've been compiling this chart for some time and it just so happens that at the end of March I was about done, which worked out quite well considering I started doing my personal chart at the end of March 1998.

The following chart is based on a points system where by a chart at #1 is worth 40 points, down to a placing at #40 in my personal chart is worth just 1 point, hitting all the stops on the way.

Some songs may be a little older than 8 years, but they just hit my chart later on.

I think that kinda sums it up.

I did a count down of my alltime top 200 artists last year based on a similar scoring system, though interestingly enough the following acts from that chart don't have a single song in the top 1000.

P Diddy [#59]
    Busta Rhymes [#67]
    B2K [#137]
    Ludacris [#169]
    Michelle Branch [#173]
    Tweet [#175]
    Tyrese [#184]
    Koffee Brown [#190]
    So Solid Crew [#191]
    Dubstar [#194]
    Oxide & Neutrino [#198]

I will usually show more than just 10 at a time but this post is gonna be long enough as it is..

Shall we begin?

A lone entry for Diana King who had a kinda non-existant hit with this in 2002, I remember a few people on UK Mix picking up on it though, including our very own deadman. More popular for songs like "Shy Guy" and "I Say A Little Prayer For You", I really enjoyed this track.

I actually remember hearing this song for the first time on frumpy station, "Magic", but thought it was lovely and by far their best, making it their only appearance in this chart. The album "The Love Junk Store" was a total flop and so was the end of this pretty little girl group.

After hearing the song "Don't Bring Sand To The Beach" I decided to investigate a little futher into this Scandanavian artist, Kinnda and really instantly liked this track from her album, K.

The first of 6 songs in the top 1000 by Faith Evans and this track was taken from her 2001 album, Faithfully, which strangely didn't have a single release in the UK, despite it being a great solid production in my opinion. This mid-tempo track was a stand out for me.

Code:
    06 - Alone In This World [#997]
    05 -
    04 -
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

Despite this being a big hit here in 2004, it first hit my chart in 2001 where it made #2 from the soundtrack to Save The Last Dance. The only appearance though from Ice Cube.

This song which introduced me to Outkast never actually made my top 10, and with 20 songs hitting my personal chart from this double act, they have strangely never hit #1 either. From their Stankonia album this is the first of only 2 songs in the top 1000.

Code:
     02 - Ms Jackson [#995]
    01 -

The only song in the chart from dance act, Fragma and again another that never actually made my top 10. This track featured Maria Rubia, who later went on to have a really crap flop with "Say It".

The first of 5 songs on the chart for the beautifully talented Keisha White, I remember hearing this song for the first time on a 5 track promo I was fortunate enough to pick up, so I was pretty excited when it finally became a single, and featuring rapper, Cassidy for the radio edit.

Code:
    05 - Don't Care Who Knows (ft.Cassidy) [#993]
    04 - 
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

The first of 4 tracks from Nelly was his breakthrough single from the "Nellyville" album, he's always been one of those rappers you love or hate, for me he's brought out the odd good track, but more recently it's gone into dirge, saying that I purchased both "Sweat" and "Suit".

Code:
    04 - Hot In Herre [#992]
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

The first of 4 appearances from Irish beauty, Samantha Mumba was a #1 for me in 2001, Always Come Back To Your Love, a big pop song for the hairbrush diva's out there.

Code:
    04 - Always Come Back To Your Love [#991]
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed April 26th, 2006, 14:30

Nice presentation Shane

So far woo for Outkast and Nelly

Legend
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

by Wed April 26th, 2006, 20:51

Thank You, I'll post the next 20 tomorrow.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

by Wed April 26th, 2006, 21:02

Woo for Oukast....great song!
    But ,wasn't the Nelly's "Hot In Herre" released in 2002? :-?

Legend
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

by Wed April 26th, 2006, 21:03

Yea

Whoops there's my first mistake already

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

by Wed April 26th, 2006, 21:30

Quote Originally Posted by SholasBoy
    Whoops there's my first mistake already
    Well, mistakes are the part of every job...especially of the very well ones so keep up the good work !

Legend
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

by Wed April 26th, 2006, 21:38

Good to see Outkast, Nelly and Samantha Mumba in there

Legend
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

by Wed April 26th, 2006, 21:41

Wow - Alice Band! Brilliant! Higher on my own all time chart than on this one, but still, great entry!

Have to meh at Ice Cube and Fragma though personally.

Legend
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)

by Wed April 26th, 2006, 22:39

Thumbs up for Diana King and Outkast!
    DRINK. SMOKE. DANCE. VIBE A LITTLE BIT | My last.fm

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu April 27th, 2006, 17:00

WOOOOS for King & Evans.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS for Outkast!

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Thu April 27th, 2006, 17:14

Woo for Fragma and Samantha Mumba. Meh at the rest

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu April 27th, 2006, 20:41

Great looking chart Shane. Good to see Keisha White feature aswell

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu April 27th, 2006, 21:11

Quote Originally Posted by mykka
    Woo for Fragma and Samantha Mumba. Meh at the rest
    Exactly what I wanted to say
    Never gonna give it up,
    I never wanna stop...

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

by Thu April 27th, 2006, 21:35

Love the presentation, but are you sure you're not gonna get bored halfway through?

Haven't heard much from this lot, but Fragma and Samantha Mumba are great choices.

Legend
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

by Thu April 27th, 2006, 22:07

A lone appearance from Montell Jordan, with a song from the album of the same name. The remix came with LL Cool J, it entered my chart 3 times, but still only had a peak of #10. I'm sure Montell will always be better known for "This Is How We Do It", but for me this was an alright release, not the worlds most exciting song, and I do think there are 989 better songs in the last 8 years

Here's the only appearence from Oakenfold (under that name anyway), a #1 for me in 2002, it was from the album Bunkka which I actually bought, with appearances on the album from Asher D, Keisha White, Nelly Furtado, Emiliana Torrini and Shifty on this track, from Crazy Town. I thought it was very catchy, very Summer and most agreed making it his only UK top 10 hit from the album.

The first of 7 appearences from these girls, originally Chilli, T-Boz and Left-Eye, with the death of the latter, new members O'So Krispie joined the girls thanks to a reality TV show and this was the first track they recorded under the new line up, though I don't believe it's been officially released and there's no real sign of an album. Still it grew on me very quickly and I found the new girl slided into the song very well.

Code:
    07 - I Bet [#988] 
    06 - 
    05 -
    04 -
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

The only appearance from the fantastic Nikka Costa in the chart is this funky number which was the lead single from her second album, Cantneverdidnothin', I loved the concept of this single, listing her lovers via the alphabet, finally getting to "U". Both clever and slutty!

And the first of 6 appearences from the wonderfully talented Estelle, and I can tell you that only one of them was released as a single in the UK. "Maybe" was one of the more laid back and relaxed track from her breakthrough album, The 18th Day, which I found to be one of the best 10's I'd ever spent! It's a more emotional side to Estelle, with a much slower rap and some real gorgeous vocals splashed about the place!

Code:
    06 - Maybe [#986]
    05 - 
    04 -
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

Unfortunately this will be the only appearance from goblin-esque scary freak, Rachel McFarlane, despite me still being fond of her own track, Lover and the other LMC release. This track features a U2 credit despite very little imput from the group themselves. It is, incidentally the only U2 song in the chart too (well there may be a higher entry featuring U2 as guests).

The first of 2 entries for So Solid's Lisa Maffia, who we already announced have no songs in the top 1000, I think it only leaves Lisa as Romeo, Harvey and Oxide & Neutrino all fall short of the list too. This one was never a UK single, but for me a stand out from her album, First Lady. Sounds like a cross between Ms Dynamite and Estelle to me!

Code:
    2 - Down [#984]
    1 -

One of the most successful artists in this top 1000 list is little pixie faced, Mya. This is actually the first of 10 Mya songs in the chart, making it hmmm...1% of the total list. "Sophisticated Lady" was a party song from her last album, Moodring, an album which has only one other song in the list.

Code:
    10 - Sophisticated Lady [#983]
    09 -
    08 -
    07 -
    06 -
    05 -
    04 -
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

And another highly successful act on the list is of course the gorgeous, Sugababes. At this point they were on album 2 with the line up, Heida, Mutya and Keisha. The first of 10 songs in the top 1,000 is "Blue", the album was Angels With Dirty Faces. This was one of the more upbeat tracks, I don't know if it would have made a great single but I was fond of it anyway!

Code:
    10 - Blue [#982]
    09 -
    08 -
    07 -
    06 -
    05 -
    04 -
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

I already revealed that Michelle Branch has no songs in the top 1000, however this feature on Santana's only appearance became very popular with me at the bottom end of 2002. Taken from his album, Supernatural, over in the US, this old crinkly has become one of the biggest sellers of the 21st Century, in my chart he's not been quite so successful, despite working with Wyclef Jean, Rob Thomas, Joss Stone and Macy Gray to name a few.

And the most successful group in the chart starts here, the first of a staggering 15 appearences (not including solo stuff) makes them the joint second most included act on this list. "Survivor" is actually one of my least favourite DC tracks now (haha), but at the time it did well in my chart because I was just excited about a DC come back, saying that the Survivor album bridged a gap between loads of #1s from the 2 albums either side. Still there are one or two more entries from that particular LP to come.

Code:
    15 - Survivor [#980]
    14 -
    13 -
    12 -
    11 -
    10 -
    09 -
    08 -
    07 -
    06 -
    05 -
    04 -
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

The first of 4 songs on the chart for Lovestation may be surprising to some. This was a #1 in my chart at the end of 1998, it was very popular on Radio 1 at the time I remember, though always sounded dated, but still really likeable in a weird way. Taken from their album Soulsation.

Code:
    04 - Sensuality [#979]
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

The first of 2 songs for the Jungle Brothers was originally a mash up of Q-Tips "Breathe & Stop" and Michael Jacksons "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough", before an official release came from Mr. On vs.Jungle Brothers. It had no trouble hitting #1 on my chart despite the original bootleg already making my top 10, oh and the Q-Tip original being huge, more on that to come!

Code:
    02 - Breathe Don't Stop (vs.Mr On) [#978]
    01 -

Here's a lone appearence from rock act, Feeder, though they've had nearly 20 top 40 hits in my chart over the years, this is by far the biggest. "Seven Days In The Sun" was a monster hit from the Echo Park album and was everything you need in a Summer rock/pop track, a catchy guitar riff and a very loud and happy sounding chorus.

The first act to have 2 songs come up in the chart is the gorgeous Samantha Mumba, this time with a song from 2002, which was taken from her unreleased second album, Woman. The version I have on my computer features some ragga rap on it, though I never did discover who the bloke responsible was. It was a catchy pop song, but just wasn't enough to secure the album a release.

Code:
    04 - Always Come Back To Your Love [#991]
    03 - I'm Right Here [#976]
    02 -
    01 -

Here's the first real duet on the chart which comes from Canadian powerhouse, Deborah Cox and Next front-man, RL. He has one more entry to come, though Deborah is right at the front of the pack with this being the first of 8 songs in the top 1000. This was from her album, One Wish and I believe it to be a huge hit in the US back in 1999. Although Deborah's voice is always on point, this was a track that really did manage to showcase her amazing range beautifully.

Code:
    08 - We Can't Be Friends (with RL) [#974]
    07 -
    06 -
    05 -
    04 -
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -
    Code:
    02 - We Can't Be Friends (with Deborah Cox) [#974]
    01 -

Time for a great pop song now and a single appearence from girlband, Hepburn who I remember seeing at a Radio 1 Road Show, back in 1999 when pop was all the rage! They came with a surge of chicks with guitars like 21st Century Girls and Thunderbugs and allowed lead singer, Jamie Benson a solo career too. Their follow ups, Bugs and Deep Deep Down were pretty cool too, but this was the big one.

The second song from Mya then and this one was lifted from her self-titled debut. It featured Sisqo and Mya soon got a name for herself working with all the boys, find out later where she charts with Jay-Z and Blackstreet for instance. This was a real slow and sexy song, listening to it now it's very simple and probably boring to some, but I remember being absolutely hooked on it back in my RnB heyday!

Code:
    10 - Sophisticated Lady [#983]
    09 - It's All About Me (ft.Sisqo) [#973]
    08 -
    07 -
    06 -
    05 -
    04 -
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

Released on Hooj Choons, I remember this track coming out of nowhere and hitting the UK top 20 on a very quiet week back in 1999. I instantly fell in love with it for it's cute vocals and atmospheric chorus build up. The follow up, Angry Skies with Maria Nayler was alright too! Both Matt Darey and Paul Van Dyk were credited on the CD single.

And finishing this selection, the first of 4 songs from the Fugees very own, Wyclef Jean. Taken from his album, The Preachers Son, which has one more song in the chart too. This one featured the lovely Monica and was catchy and cute.

Code:
    04 - Class Reunion (ft.Monica) [#971]
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

Legend
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

by Thu April 27th, 2006, 22:10

Quote Originally Posted by Grybop
    Love the presentation, but are you sure you're not gonna get bored halfway through?
    Of course not, I love playing with graphics

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri April 28th, 2006, 02:18

Quote Originally Posted by SholasBoy
    Of course not, I love playing with graphics
    You certainly do and you have a lot of talent with graphics You certainly show it in Cover Design unlike Georgy Porgy here, who has completely abondoned Cover Design Come back George
    Ok, got carried away there Let's get back to the countdown.

Woo for Montell Jordan, TLC, Santana, and Destiny's Child.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

by Fri April 28th, 2006, 14:18

Big Woo for Santana & Michelle Branch....I love that song!
    And woo for DC

Legend
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

by Fri April 28th, 2006, 23:49

Thanks guys, next update early next week as I'm away all weekend

Legend
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

by Sat April 29th, 2006, 00:52

Some great stuff, especially Oakenfold and Hepburn!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by Sat April 29th, 2006, 20:40

Woooooooooo for Santana, DC and especially Hepburn.
    Let's have a second referendum

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sat April 29th, 2006, 21:51

Great presentation. Oakenfold's Starry Eyed Surprise is one of my favourite songs of all time.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Sat April 29th, 2006, 22:17

Oakenfold had top10 hits under other guises such as Element Four which made #4 in 2000.

Legend
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

by Tue May 2nd, 2006, 23:16

ok let's quick get another 10 down.

Here's the first of 6 tracks from Madonna, though not the highest from the American Life album. Unfortunately the single version missed out my favourite part of the track "push the button..don't push the button..", although the album was officially certified a flop, it is the one with the most entries for her in this chart.

Code:
    06 - Hollywood [#970]
    05 -
    04 -
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

The first of 7 tracks from crazy girl, Kelis is the fabulous rock sound of "Perfect Day" from her flop album, Wanderland. For me it was certainly a stand out track (though wait to see which track I liked even more!) This track was very instant for me and should have cerainly been a single with a big guitar style video, something similar to Lenny Kravitz' Fly Away I always thought.

Code:
    07 - Perfect Day [#969]
    06 -
    05 -
    04 -
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

The only appearance from Baz is the beautiful sunny sounding, Smile To Shine. Dare I say this track reminds me a little of Corinne Bailey-Rae? A huge flop in the UK and follow up to the much hyped, though poor charting, Believers. She had another single, Never Ending Story across Europe but I suspect she's gone back to DJing now.

A solo appearance next from Kandice Love, to be honest I've searched and still have no idea what she looks like, but oh well. I do know however that I first encountered her on a track called "No You Didn't Say" on the Nutty Professor 2 OST, and also featured on LL Cool J's "LL Cool J" and "Amazing". But this was a proper girl power RnB anthem from the Rush Hour 2 OST, sounds a bit like something Kandi could've done.

And here's where we reveal Shola Ama has the most songs in the top 1000, a total of 18. That's 3 more than anybody else. "In Return" was the title track from her second album, an album which I enjoyed very much, this track was very chilled out and had Shola singing quite flat (which made it easier for me to sing along to ) ok not her most exciting track, but Shola's beautiful voice lightens up any track for me. The track also helped me realise the "In Return" referred to giving someone something in return, rather than announcing her return/comeback.

Code:
    18 - In Return [#966]
    17 -
    16 -
    15 -
    14 -
    13 -
    12 -
    11 -
    10 -
    09 -
    08 -
    07 -
    06 -
    05 -
    04 -
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

The first of 13 tracks on the chart comes here for Mariah Carey and from her 1999 album, Rainbow. Featuring Snoop Dogg, this wasn't a million miles away from the Pure Imagination Remix of I Still Believe or the Bone Thugs remix of Breakdown. It topped my chart and was unfortunately never released in the UK despite hitting charts elsewhere.

Code:
    13 - Cry Baby [#965]
    12 -
    11 -
    10 -
    09 -
    08 -
    07 -
    06 -
    05 -
    04 -
    03 - 
    02 -
    01 -

Now somehow this track won the award for her worst single on the recent UK Mix Arists Worst Single Poll. But it's my second favourite Sheryl song entering here. It reached my top 5 in 1999 and was the final single from her "Globe Sessions" album.

Code:
    02 - Anything But Down [#964]
    01 -

The first of 4 songs from my favourite rap bitch, Foxy Brown comes from her Carribean inspired 2001 album, "Broken Silence", this lead single had a hot video and was a new sound, or so I thought for Foxy which worked very well, the video also introduced me to another track on the album which is still to come

Code:
    04 - Oh Yeah [#963]
    03 -
    02 -
    01 -

Now we all know this has been a recent hit for Beverley Knight and is still to come on my chart, but in 2004 this entered my personal top 10, and I really can't remember why, it was never released officially in that year, I just kind of chucked it in there and it ended up making my alltime top 1000, I think it was something to do with me finding the original single in some London bargain basement!

The first of 3 songs on the chart from Sean-A-Paul comes from his Dutty Rock album. I'm afraid to say none of the actual singles are in this chart despite me liking them all very much, I think most of them hit the top 5 in my chart but quickly dropped for some reason. This was the first of 2 #1s for him in my chart, it did well after me hearing it from some posers car window after a short break in Amsterdam

Code:
    03 - Can You Do The Work? [#961]
    02 -
    01 -

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by Tue May 2nd, 2006, 23:29

oooooh, Anything But Down is definately one of my favorite Sheryl Crow tracks. Hollywood is perhaps my least favorite Madonna single of all time though. The Mariah and Kelis tracks are decent but not my favorite of either