Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full searchable Irish charts database now online

by » Fri February 3rd, 2006, 20:02

At long last, IRMA's site www.irishcharts.ie is open for business. Fully searchable, and seems to be right back to the first ever chart! I'll be spending hours on this site...

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by » Fri February 3rd, 2006, 20:15

Does the top 20 of all time consist of the best sellers or chart points?

by » Fri February 3rd, 2006, 20:18

Hi LostAvenger,

it's best sellers.
    Unfortunately, accurate sales info only exists for the period 1992 onwards, when Gallup computerised the compilation of the charts, tracking sales in retailers, which explains why the oldest title in the Top 20 is from 94 (for the first 30 years, the charts were compiled on shipments by the labels to the retailers, not on over-the-counter sales). However, it's likely that singles were selling more from the mid to late 90s (Celtic Tiger and all that) than for many years before that...although as you'll see, most of the longest running titles in the chart date from the 70s to early 90s or thereabouts.

N

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by » Fri February 3rd, 2006, 20:22

In other words, the top 20 best selling singles 1992-2006.

Elton would probably still be #1 overall either way.

And good god, alot of crap outsold "...Baby One More Time"! Hard to believe "Can't Fight The Moonlight" did better than it!

by » Fri February 3rd, 2006, 20:26

Quote Originally Posted by LostAvenger

And good god, alot of crap outsold "...Baby One More Time"! Hard to believe "Can't Fight The Moonlight" did better than it!
    Well, as they say "Top 20 of all time" it might be that they've held the shipment totals for the period prior to 1992 and used that info too...though you'd expect at least the original Band Aid "Do They Know It's Christmas?" to be in an all-time Top 20 sales. When ChartTrack mention historical records in their chart reports, they usually mention that their records only date to 1992, but there's no such mention here.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Fri February 3rd, 2006, 22:43

Every country should have a website like this one! (plus certifications archive lol)

Thanks for letting us know that the website is finally open!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 00:17

Well, i can't find that adress, it says it doesn't exist...and on the official IRMA site there is no sign of any archive...am i missing something?

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 03:46

Quote Originally Posted by Edu
    Well, i can't find that adress, it says it doesn't exist...and on the official IRMA site there is no sign of any archive...am i missing something?
    it's not opening here too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 11:20

is the link maybe changed???

Superstar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 11:30

the site isn't loading for me either and can't be "pinged" either, so it appears to have been taken down completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 13:09

Yep, the topic name must be changed :
    "Full searchable Irish charts database not online".

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 13:44

Judging from how long it took them to put it up in the first place (it was "coming soon" for a few months) it could be a while longer before they sort out their teething problems...

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 14:35

I think it's too soon. They probably work these days for making this website the best archives database in the world. Hope they will!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 15:43

Quote Originally Posted by LostAvenger

As if that song wasn´t another crap itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 16:05

...baby one more time rocks!
    a classic pop song, like it or not

but the link doesn't work here :-?
    don't act like I never told ya!

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 17:37

Well, at the time of writing, the site is up and running....

Superstar
    Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 19:04

it finally works! great site

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 19:24

Hey Folks,
    we're delighted there is so much interest in the Irish Charts website & thank you for visiting.

Let me apologise for the on/off availibility of the site - it was only soft-launched yesterday and we're still ironing out some teething problems with the load on the server.

We're working round the clock on this and these issues will be sorted over the next day or so. Please hang in there and visit the site again soon.

I'll post here again when everything has been fixed.

Thanks for your patience,

Jaclyn Ward
    Fireball Media.

Legend
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 19:33

After many attempts to log into this new website since someone here very kindly sent me a message to let me know it was up and running, I have finally succeeded in gaining access.

It may be that there are some initial teething troubles, but the "search number ones" by date is not finding some that I have tried, even when the individual entries by artist or by hit are correct. (Examples available on request!!).

Also, there are a couple of errors in the "facts and figures" - "Longest runners" page -

http://www.irishcharts.ie/facts/longest_in_chart.htm

Although an effort, mostly successful, has been made made to combine all chart runs, including re-entries, for this list, two have been overlooked:

(1) The total weeks for "The Fields Of Athenry" by Paddy Reilly are showing as 72, which would be its first two chart runs in 1983-1984 and 1985. (And I believe this should actually be 73 weeks) . Searching for this hit individually shows something I never knew, but which no doubt Shakyfan or others who followed the charts at this time can confirm - it also returned for three more weeks in 1995! - so the total should really be 76 weeks.

(2) The total for "A Bunch Of Thyme" by Foster and Allen is given as 40 weeks - combining several, but not all of its ten chart runs ( listed separately in the list Shakyfan posted on the 80s Archive thread).
    Searching for this hit on www.irishcharts.ie finds it as a 40-week hit and also as a 13-week hit. So the total of all its appearances should be 53 weeks, and it should be the all-time 3rd longest runner rather than 4th.

I tried to use the "contact us" to pass on these corrections - but unfortunately the "This Page Cannot Be Displayed" which I've been getting on all previous attempts came back at that point, so I didn't succeed!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 20:13

Can I add another correction in relation to one of this weeks new entries? Jesse McCartney's single at 25 is Beauiful Soul and NOT Beautiful South!

But great site!

by » Sat February 4th, 2006, 20:22

I've noticed a few errors.

"What A Beautiful World" is incorrectly attributed to Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue(!) rather than Nick Cave and Shane McGowan

Also, the following Kylie singles are not mentioned, maybe Shakyfan, beatlened or CZB can confirm for me, as I doubt that these ALL missed the Top 30:

Breathe
    Did It Again
    Put Yourself In My Place
    Some Kind Of Bliss
    Where Is The Feeling?
    Wouldn't Change A Thing

As regards the number of weeks...are you including weeks that you may know of outside the Top 30? I think they are confining themselves to the Top 30, though I accept it's likely they made some errors.

I have no recollection of "The Fields Of Athenry" being in the charts again in 1995. How high did it get?