Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 21st, 2006, 19:18

Quote Originally Posted by child_destinys
    Quote Originally Posted by cidermaster
    Its past its sell by date because singles are not important anymore.
    Albums are a true statement of most artists in the business and even more so now.
    Do you really care about the amount of crap that stains the top 40 nowadays.And mostly in limited sales.

Cheers Cidermaster.
    Novelty singles aside, most of the crap that "stains" the Top 40 singles chart will also go on to stain the album chart too.

I don't see how singles aren't important anymore; I thought sales were increasing. Certainly legal downloads are anyway!
    Exactly. In terms of chart movement, the singles chart is the healthiest it's been in 12 years. Sales have been steady for many months now, and no they're not at the level that they were 10/8/6/4 years ago but the introduction of downloads gave it a much needed boost and especially now they're letting downloads in a week early and looking to introduce download sales from the very moment they become available - things can only get better!

by » Wed June 21st, 2006, 21:26

Well, who's to say some other terrestrial channel won't seize the opportunity, and launch their own singles chart show? Channel 4 might be a contender, having recently launched The Album Chart Show, although it's buried in graveyard slots (except for a repeat on E4 on Saturday). Could be a good fit for them, and they've shown they can get performers to turn up for the show. An alternative format would be the old MTV "Hitlist UK" format...which could easily be assembled by any channel with the will to do so, and the necessary licensing arrangements with the OCC. Maybe Chart Show TV, which grew out of the old ITV Chart Show, can make a return with the official chart on either ITV or its original home, C4?

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 21st, 2006, 21:37

Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    ...ah, memories!
    This post is highly unlikely to be serious. Please treat it accordingly. Unless it's music-related, in which case I'm damn well right.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 21st, 2006, 21:42

Quote Originally Posted by thelazyboy
    ...ah, memories!
    haha innit! used to love watchin that, it was on saturday afternoons wasn't it?
    "as long as there is hunger from the public to see others suffer, the media will always get away with bullying creative people." MIKE SKINNER

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 22nd, 2006, 10:58

I've not watched TOTP for years, although I used to watch it religiously every week. I think I got bored of all the miming that they did on there, I think a purer, live music show would be much better in it's place similar to Jools Holland

Legend
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 22nd, 2006, 16:28

...ah, memories!
    i LOVED that show. It was responsible for making Sisters of Mercy huge. I first saw Bjork on that show singing Birthday and most of her other vids were only shown on there. Unfortunately MTV and cable music telly is responsible for the death of terrestrial music tv. Its OUR fault for wanting more music telly, too much competition.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon July 10th, 2006, 19:01

Something tells me it will be like Doctor Who that in 10/15 years time when 'bringing old shows back' is fashion again, this will be.
    He's finally made a come back. I'm now offically a semi-professional comedian. http://forums.chortle.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=35879.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue July 11th, 2006, 09:53

Good news, if you're feeling a tad depressed about TOTP ending...Top Of The Pops Reloaded will be returning on September 9th for a new series. And yes, regretablly, Sam & Mark are presenting again with Fearne...
    If there's lessons to be learned, I'd rather get my jam of words in first...

by » Mon July 17th, 2006, 14:10

Primal Scream frontman Bobby Gillespie had his nose broken in a hotel bar brawl, it was reported today.

The 42-year-old singer was the victim of an unprovoked assault in Madrid on Friday, according to The Sun.

He showed up late to a Top of the Pops recording yesterday with two black eyes.

A TOTP source told the paper: “Bobby turned up for filming sporting two nasty-looking black eyes and a swollen nose.

“The band were scheduled to film their performance on Sunday morning, but Bobby was in no fit state to be in front of a camera.

“He looked like he had taken one hell of a beating. Everyone was amazed he even turned up. It’s not easy to hold a note when your nose is broken.”

A band spokesman said: “There was an incident in Madrid on Friday.

“Bobby was in the hotel bar when a guy lunged at him in an unprovoked attack that left him with facial injuries.

“The band were late for the show because doctors advised him not to fly until Sunday afternoon.”

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed July 26th, 2006, 19:35

Well the last TOTP this Sunday :(

Would be good to see Christina #1 and finish it off, although I have a feeling she wouldn't have bothered with a live performance and they'll probably just show the video :-?

Well live music tv is officially dead now.
    LONG LIVE GIRLS ALOUD

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun July 30th, 2006, 14:13

I bet the last episode tonight pulls the highest audience it's had a while.
    He's finally made a come back. I'm now offically a semi-professional comedian. http://forums.chortle.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=35879.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun July 30th, 2006, 14:25

im not going to pay the tv licence. and when in court im asked why, i will explain.

honestly its fuckin wrong! what can be done?
    "as long as there is hunger from the public to see others suffer, the media will always get away with bullying creative people." MIKE SKINNER

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun July 30th, 2006, 14:31

Quote Originally Posted by DjBreakz
    im not going to pay the tv licence. and when in court im asked why, i will explain.

honestly its **** wrong! what can be done?
    People have tried it in the past. Taking their TV apart so they cannot receive the BBC channels even took the BBC to court over it. The BBC always wins there very very powerful and always get what they want and their own way. You'll never win. You have a TV signal coming into your house you pay simple as that.

It's my 2nd strongest political desire to privatise them (but that is for another thread)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon July 31st, 2006, 11:36

42 Years and that pitful ending was all you could come up with?? BBC you sicken me

I seriously think like certain buildings & landmarks. We should get certain TV shows like this that was a milestone in popular culture listed so their never allowed to axe them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon July 31st, 2006, 12:07

LOL, it was a bit crap. Especially the final #1 just being a video everyone's been seeing for the last few weeks

Though it was nice to see the Spice Girls' first performance. They were awful, but great at the same time and having so much fun.

It's funny how much girl groups have changed - they'd never get away with the bad miming, outfits, dancing and average body-shapes the Spices did. I don't know if that's a good thing though...

Jimmy Saville is a crap presenter, I don't get the hype around him at all :-?
    You said turn around so I cannot see your tears falling...

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon July 31st, 2006, 12:34

TOTP had been crap for many years,should not have lasted so long,goodbye.

Cheers Cidermaster.
    You can never have enough luxury lemon drizzle cake

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon July 31st, 2006, 12:37

the reason if failed is not because of MTV its because of mismanagement and poor ideas.

It could of gone for ever they should of kept it to friday , now there really isnt anywhere to see artists live on tv.

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon July 31st, 2006, 13:57

TOTP died because they decided to follow other music channels like sheep and play songs weeks before release.

When you could tune in and you'd know you'd get the week's variety of new singles that had hit the top 20 then it was worth watching.

Once it turned into "Here's a selection of big names who want to do some promotion for stuff out in 6 weeks time" I turned off pretty much.

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon July 31st, 2006, 14:10

Sad, as it has made its mark on the UK music scene and all that, but in recent years (i.e. since it got re-branded around late 2003-ish) it fell by the wayside to the numerous stream of music channels on Digital TV. Moving its timeslot to Sundays pretty much marked the end for them IMO.

I used to watched it avidly between the mid-90's to 2003.
    "It's so COOOOOOOOOOOLD in the D."

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon July 31st, 2006, 16:27

Quote Originally Posted by matthew_dixon
    Once it turned into "Here's a selection of big names who want to do some promotion for stuff out in 6 weeks time" I turned off pretty much.
    Yeah, they should never have changed the format of it.

People who say its crap are just people who lost touch of current music, and it's why I loved TOTP because it was always fresh and of the moment.

Then again all bands I like pre 90's have usually appeared on it too...and it's an achievement to get on it.

I found the last show good, but a bit unecessary to have a top 10. They should have played it out with a performance or clips of the last 42 years.

Jimmy is such a legend, I wish when I'm 79 I'm as cool as him, he's still on the ball. It was sad when he turned of the lights.

And why dont they just continue it, but have it as a music video show - just show music videos from that week - it'd be cheap to make and it would still 'live on'...honestly.

I'm angry it's been taken away from us...ANGRY. :evil: :evil: :evil:
    Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon July 31st, 2006, 16:40

It was quite a crap way to end the show.

They should never have changed the format and kept on the new releases on the week instead of adding new ones before their release, that's what kept it exciting.

It reportedly peaked an audience of over 4 million, the highest it has ever got since moving to BBC2, so nice way for it to bow out I guess.
    LONG LIVE GIRLS ALOUD

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon July 31st, 2006, 17:11

...ah, memories!
    Jeeeez yeah! I used to love this! Used to be on on a Saturday lunchtime if my memory is correct.
    Thought that I was the devil?
    But I'm an angel waiting for my wings.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon July 31st, 2006, 18:53

For anyone who saw the repeat documentry that followed on later at 10pm. Pete Waterman is a complete moron!

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon July 31st, 2006, 20:21

Quote Originally Posted by Skelofect
    And why dont they just continue it, but have it as a music video show - just show music videos from that week - it'd be cheap to make and it would still 'live on'...honestly.
    What would be the point of that when there's so many music video channels?

I know the only reason I ever tuned in was to see someone perform live and was always a bit let down when they just played a video!
    You said turn around so I cannot see your tears falling...