Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Of The Pops

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 1st, 2006, 01:21

Because then it wouldn't have to end for good, it's gone now - end of. 42 years gone because 'they cant compete with music channels'. What a pile of crap, that we can have rubbish like Coronation Street lasting for years and this goes. Music in an important part of everybody and should be represented.

And if it wasn't for TOTP music channels wouldn't have had inspiration to exist.

Or why not have a TOTP music channel...I mean, there are possibilites - why does it have to end! :evil:
    Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 1st, 2006, 12:47

Quote Originally Posted by Skelofect
    Because then it wouldn't have to end for good, it's gone now - end of. 42 years gone because 'they cant compete with music channels'. What a pile of crap, that we can have rubbish like Coronation Street lasting for years and this goes. Music in an important part of everybody and should be represented.

And if it wasn't for TOTP music channels wouldn't have had inspiration to exist.

Or why not have a TOTP music channel...I mean, there are possibilites - why does it have to end! :evil:
    what a bloody brilliant idea!! a BBC music channel, no adverts or ringtones!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where do i sign??
    "as long as there is hunger from the public to see others suffer, the media will always get away with bullying creative people." MIKE SKINNER

by » Wed August 16th, 2006, 17:26

Quote Originally Posted by DjBreakz

what a bloody brilliant idea!! a BBC music channel, no adverts or ringtones!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where do i sign??
    Well, it's not a BBC channel - and it's actually Irish run, if not actually broadcast from Ireland (no BCI license, but has an OFCOM license, so transmits from the UK) but Bubble Hits should be on air now (Sky 374, can someone with Sky check? Ta), and among the presenters are Glenda Gilsen, ex-gf of Irish rugby captain Brian O'Driscoll, and one of the guys from Six, the band that Nadine Coyle from Girls Aloud was booted out of when she slipped up on the Irish version of Popstars and revealed that she was too young to be in the band.

Supposedly broadcasting without ads.

http://www.bubblehits.com

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed September 6th, 2006, 12:04

Quote Originally Posted by Juddster89
    Good news, if you're feeling a tad depressed about TOTP ending...Top Of The Pops Reloaded will be returning on September 9th for a new series. And yes, regretablly, Sam & Mark are presenting again with Fearne...
    EDIT: As it turns out it's a new music/entertainment variety thing aimed at tweeny-boppers on a Saturday morning with just those two buffoons presenting, sadly. Still, at least it sparks the return of some Saturday morning madness.
    If there's lessons to be learned, I'd rather get my jam of words in first...

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue October 28th, 2008, 20:54

Christmas TOTP has now also been axed. That is such a shame, it was always something to look forward to.

TOTP2 has been recommissioned for a new 8 part series though so the brand is not yet completely dead.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue October 28th, 2008, 23:40

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    Christmas TOTP has now also been axed. That is such a shame, it was always something to look forward to.
    I suppose without the original TOTP it is pretty pointless.

Shame because for me it was an institution - it was one of THE things that made Christmas Day for me.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue October 28th, 2008, 23:48

BBC just gets worse :-? they axe this but still show that c**p Dale Winton game show on Saturdays :-?
    RIP The Queen Of Disco

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue October 28th, 2008, 23:59

It's sad cos it reminds me of growing up, after I'd opened all the presents and played with them the next thing to look forward to was TOTP while having Xmas dinner and even as an adult it was still presents -> pub -> TOTP/dinner.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed October 29th, 2008, 17:07

Simon Cowell has made an offer to the BBC for the Top Of The Pops format.

Following the news that the broadcaster has axed its annual TOTP Christmas special, the X Factor producer has voiced his desire to revive the flagship music show.

He told The Sun: "I've got a suggestion for them. If they don’t want it, I'll take it. I'm serious. They can give it to me or I will give them a bit of money. Why end the tradition? It's like not having Christmas pudding. I don't believe in breaking with tradition.

"This year has been phenomenal for British music and we should celebrate by making Top Of The Pops at Christmas a fantastic event. I've made them an offer and let's see if they accept."

Former TOTP presenter Scott Mills said that the decision to pull the show has "ruined Christmas".

He added: "It'll be weird not having it there. It's like one less present to open. I can see how it's less popular now, with MTV and YouTube, but I always thought it would stay. I really want it back. It's not too late for the BBC to change their minds. It would be brilliant."

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed October 29th, 2008, 19:30

Well Simon would want it to stay, seeing as The X Factor winner will always be guaranteed a slot for as long as the show keeps running!

Legend
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed October 29th, 2008, 22:52

Quote Originally Posted by steophonic
    Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    I suppose without the original TOTP it is pretty pointless.

Shame because for me it was an institution - it was one of THE things that made Christmas Day for me.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu October 30th, 2008, 14:01

I've always liked and watched TOTP, it's one of my favourite shows, I hope it makes a comeback.
    Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu October 30th, 2008, 16:53

I really hope they change their mind because their should be a Christmas special like every year.
    i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed November 12th, 2008, 16:10

a comeback with the blue logo would be awesome
    I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(?)_/¯

by » Thu November 20th, 2008, 15:28

Well...the BBC have done a U-turn on axing the Christmas special - and are also going to air a New Years Eve special as well!

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian
    The BBC has reversed its decision to axe the Christmas edition of Top of the Pops – and announced it will return for two one-off shows over the festive period.

Simon Cowell said he would like to buy the show and put it on ITV after the BBC announced it would not be returning last month.

The BBC had previously said the long-running music show – which was axed from its regular weekly slot in 2006 – had not earned its place in the Christmas schedule.

However, today Top of the Pops was welcomed back with open arms, with not one but two editions on BBC1 on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.

The BBC1 controller, Jay Hunt, said: "With shows on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve, Top of the Pops has never been bigger.

"The shows will form the centerpiece of a massive musical offering during the festive season that we hope viewers are really going to enjoy."

The BBC announced on October 28 that Top of the Pops would not be returning this year, instead unveiling plans to show eight special episodes of archive series TOTP2 on BBC2.

"We said ... the Christmas special would continue but would have to earn its place every year," a spokesman said at the time.

The Top of the Pops Christmas Special will be hosted by Fearne Cotton and Reggie Yates and filmed at BBC TV Centre.

New spin-off show Top of the Pops New Year's Eve Special will review the year in pop.

However, there remain no plans to bring the show back full time to BBC1.

Cowell said last month he would rather take the show to ITV than let it "just sit in the dustbin".

"If the BBC wanted to do a deal, and I can get ITV to buy it and broadcast it, I'd put it on ITV," the X Factor judge added.

by » Thu November 20th, 2008, 15:30

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/11_november/20/totp.shtml
    BBC Press Office[/url]]Top Of The Pops to return with one-off Christmas and New Year's Eve specials

Category: BBC One; TV Entertainment
    Date: 20.11.2008
    Printable version

The BBC announced today that Top Of The Pops will be returning to BBC One this Christmas with two special, one-off shows – one on Christmas Day and one on New Year's Eve.

The Top Of The Pops Christmas Special is an hour-long celebration of all things pop.

Hosted by Fearne Cotton and Reggie Yates and filmed in BBC Television Centre, it will feature exclusive performances from some of the year's biggest stars and will count down the chart to the all important Christmas number one.

The Top Of The Pops New Year's Eve Special is a brand new show that will review the year in pop.

Fearne and Reggie will take in the year's smash hits, highlights from music festivals such as BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend and Glastonbury, as well as unique performances from BBC sessions.

This hour-long special marks the first time BBC One has shown a New Year's Eve edition of Top Of The Pops.

Both shows are part of an extended musical line-up on the BBC this Christmas, which includes TOTP2 and Jools Holland's annual Hootenanny on BBC Two alongside The Big Finish on BBC One.

Jay Hunt, Controller, BBC One, said: "With shows on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve, Top Of The Pops has never been bigger.

"The shows will form the centrepiece of a massive musical offering during the festive season that we hope viewers are really going to enjoy."

TOTP host Fearne Cotton added: "I am beyond excited at the thought of a return to the mighty TOTP studios for these one-off shows.

"Reggie and I feel truly honoured to be able to introduce this year's number one – both shows are going to be huge!"

Notes to Editors

The Christmas and New Year's Eve specials are one off programmes. There are no plans to bring back TOTP full-time.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu November 20th, 2008, 18:29

At least they succommed to the calling of the many fans who wanted at least an xmas special.

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu November 20th, 2008, 23:09

This is fantastic news, especially as they are adding a New Year's Eve special - maybe this will also become a new permanent fixture?

However a part of me wonders if this was now a publicity stunt to test the public's reaction and pull in more viewers on the day? Not bothered though, will just be great to watch it as usual!

by » Fri November 21st, 2008, 09:32

^I'm not sure we can expect the start of a new TOTP NYE tradition - 'specially when up until yesterday they had intended scrapping the Xmas Day show!

At the rate things change in the BBC, they could decide between Xmas Day and NYE to pull the show...

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri December 5th, 2008, 01:06

CRACKERS won’t be the only thing going pop on Christmas Day.

Today I can reveal the acts who will be gracing our TV screens on the Top Of The Pops Christmas Special.

And it promises to be a poptastic affair — lead from the front by chart kings TAKE THAT.

Like the weekly show in 2006, the festive special was axed by BBC Scrooges this year but the Christmas show was reinstated after I campaigned for its return.

GIRLS ALOUD, PUSSYCAT DOLLS, DUFFY, KAISER CHIEFS, DIZZEE RASCAL and CALVIN HARRIS, McFLY and of course the X Factor winner — I mean the artist with the Christmas No.1 — will perform in a celebration of pop music which dominated the charts.

And yesterday stars of the show Take That — who had a No. 1 in 1995 with Back For Good — begged BBC bosses to restore TOTP to its weekly slot for good too.

MARK OWEN told me: “Top Of The Pops is a national institution. It should come back every week.”

Take That will perform current single Greatest Day and promise a “special” performance.

ROBBIE WILLIAMS to be flown in from the wings dressed as an angel maybe?

The TOTP special will be hosted by REGGIE YATES and FEARNE COTTON on BBC1 at 2pm.

Girls Aloud will sing The Promise, Duffy will belt out Mercy, Pussycat Dolls will flash some flesh to I Hate This Part, and the Kaisers are to play their hit Never Miss a Beat.

Reggie is particularly excited about introducing Dizzee and Calvin’s No1 smash Dance Wiv Me.

He told me yesterday: “When they said they weren’t going to do Top Of The Pops I was a bit in shock like everyone else but I’m glad it’s back.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing Dizzee perform because he’s a friend of mine.”

Fearne said she’d love it if the weekly show returned, but added: “It would have to be in the right way.”

More acts for the special will be confirmed in coming days but I can spot a gaping whole in the line-up.

Rock veterans STATUS QUO have released their first festive song, It’s Christmas Time, but are absent from the pop-orientated performers’ list.

I can feel another campaign coming on.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... 005756.ece
    LONG LIVE GIRLS ALOUD

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri December 5th, 2008, 11:27

Oh come on BBC they could have done better than that I'm not excited about ONE act!

by » Fri December 5th, 2008, 11:44

^Interesting idea! What would be your ideal lineup?

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri December 5th, 2008, 11:51

I don't know really but I mean its TOTP's! I can't think of an act who'd turn them down its like an honour to be even asked for that show

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri December 5th, 2008, 19:33

I think it's about right actually. The best of the year, and I'm sure more will be added, like The Ting Tings and Estelle.

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri December 5th, 2008, 19:54

Only 8 performances? Surely they fit a few more than that in? Kaiser Chiefs haven't been as big this year, I hate how they've just become a Christmas TOTP shoe-in.