Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 1680

Thread: Prince :: Charts & Sales History

  1. #26

    by » Mon August 6th, 2007, 18:03

    Quote Originally Posted by borderwolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny86
    What's the reason of the re-enter of Ultimate this week? Sold at the tour?
    20.002 copies sold in U.K.
    Thanks, but my question was more like "what caused the sales increase?"... ;)

  2. #27

    by » Tue August 7th, 2007, 02:44

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny86
    Quote Originally Posted by borderwolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny86
    What's the reason of the re-enter of Ultimate this week? Sold at the tour?
    20.002 copies sold in U.K.
    Thanks, but my question was more like "what caused the sales increase?"... ;)
    just maybe the 2.8mil ppl who got the cd in the papers went out and bought them. I dont think he is sellin it at the o2 since it is a warner release he doesnt get as much royalty from warner as compared to the new releases and the kinda deal he currently has with sony he could sell stuff at the o2 and keep 100% of the proceeds. Like if he sold musicology he would get 100% of the profit unlike other acts who only get to keep 10%

  3. #28
    borderwolf's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    11 Dec 2006
    Location
    Traversetolo - Italy
    Posts
    45,278
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

    by » Tue August 7th, 2007, 09:49

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny86
    Quote Originally Posted by borderwolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny86
    What's the reason of the re-enter of Ultimate this week? Sold at the tour?
    20.002 copies sold in U.K.
    Thanks, but my question was more like "what caused the sales increase?"... ;)
    Apologies for quote: my intentions was to add another info...
    Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

  4. #29

    by » Sat August 11th, 2007, 15:57

    Quote Originally Posted by asg
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny86
    Quote Originally Posted by borderwolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny86
    What's the reason of the re-enter of Ultimate this week? Sold at the tour?
    20.002 copies sold in U.K.
    Thanks, but my question was more like "what caused the sales increase?"... ;)
    just maybe the 2.8mil ppl who got the cd in the papers went out and bought them. I dont think he is sellin it at the o2 since it is a warner release he doesnt get as much royalty from warner as compared to the new releases and the kinda deal he currently has with sony he could sell stuff at the o2 and keep 100% of the proceeds. Like if he sold musicology he would get 100% of the profit unlike other acts who only get to keep 10%
    Yes, that makes sense, thank you!

  5. #30

    by » Sat August 18th, 2007, 12:32

    UK: Ultimate falls 6-9
    US: Planet Earth falls 11-20

  6. #31
    Legend
    Join Date
    14 Nov 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    11,969
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    by » Sat August 18th, 2007, 14:46

    Sign O the Times in #198 in UK !
    25 June 2009, the day the Music died

  7. #32

    by » Sun August 19th, 2007, 17:45

    Quote Originally Posted by MJDangerous
    Sign O the Times in #198 in UK !
    Genius album, his best.

    Altho I also like Dirty Mind and 1999.

    All of his 80s albums are worth investigating.
    Mummy, mummy, it's the Gods!

  8. #33
    AutomaticBR's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    03 Jul 2004
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    12,804
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    by » Sun August 19th, 2007, 21:20

    "Ultimate" Sales in the UK :: 93,897

  9. #34

    by » Sun August 19th, 2007, 23:27

    I wonder where Planet Earth will end up at in America. The album has mixed word of mouth at best, and even among Prince fans, this album seems to already be regarded as one of the weakest in his catalog (and considering the albums he recorded between 1992-1999, barring Gold Experience, this says something). I always like to see Prince sell well, but I don't think the album will be able to wind up doing even what 3121 did. 3121 was generally regarded as a good album.

  10. #35
    thebigham's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    16 Aug 2005
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    57,324
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

    by » Sun December 9th, 2007, 02:12

    12/08/07 Catalog chart

    200 PRINCE VERY BEST OF PRINCE 3,179 +67% 1,898 1,401,976 (1xp)

  11. #36

    by » Tue December 25th, 2007, 02:41

    On a whim earlier, I was looking at reviews on Amazon and decided to type in Prince. Outside of the two most recent collections and a few of the poorer catalog sellers (like Come and Symbol), the entire Warner Prince catalog is currently available only via used CD's, even the bigger titles like 1999 and Purple Rain that would never go out of print.

    Makes me wonder if this means Warner is planning on releasing remaster editions of his 1978-1994 catalog in the new year. 2008 would make sense since it not only marks Prince's 50th birthday but also 30 years from the release of "For You", his debut. Does anyone know if they are working on these or if it's just a mere coincidence and the majority of his albums all sold out at once?

    If this is the case, what a nice Christmas present from Warner.

  12. #37

    by » Tue December 25th, 2007, 12:41

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    On a whim earlier, I was looking at reviews on Amazon and decided to type in Prince. Outside of the two most recent collections and a few of the poorer catalog sellers (like Come and Symbol), the entire Warner Prince catalog is currently available only via used CD's, even the bigger titles like 1999 and Purple Rain that would never go out of print.

    Makes me wonder if this means Warner is planning on releasing remaster editions of his 1978-1994 catalog in the new year. 2008 would make sense since it not only marks Prince's 50th birthday but also 30 years from the release of "For You", his debut. Does anyone know if they are working on these or if it's just a mere coincidence and the majority of his albums all sold out at once?

    If this is the case, what a nice Christmas present from Warner.
    I wish it could be! Nevertheless, Prince really don't care about it...Maybe when he dies?

  13. #38

    by » Tue December 25th, 2007, 17:22

    Quote Originally Posted by facedown36
    Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    On a whim earlier, I was looking at reviews on Amazon and decided to type in Prince. Outside of the two most recent collections and a few of the poorer catalog sellers (like Come and Symbol), the entire Warner Prince catalog is currently available only via used CD's, even the bigger titles like 1999 and Purple Rain that would never go out of print.

    Makes me wonder if this means Warner is planning on releasing remaster editions of his 1978-1994 catalog in the new year. 2008 would make sense since it not only marks Prince's 50th birthday but also 30 years from the release of "For You", his debut. Does anyone know if they are working on these or if it's just a mere coincidence and the majority of his albums all sold out at once?

    If this is the case, what a nice Christmas present from Warner.
    I wish it could be! Nevertheless, Prince really don't care about it...Maybe when he dies?
    true, but it is probably Warner's doing. Purple Rain still sells exceptionally well for a studio album from 1984 (it's catalog sales are slightly lower than Thriller and much stronger than Born In The U.S.A.) that I don't think Warner would just up and delete it without good reason. Come to think of it, I've noticed stores have been low on Warner Prince stock for a few months, so maybe the remasters are something that are really going to happen. Purple Rain is way too good a catalog seller to just delete, it was still selling at over 2000 a week a few months ago.

  14. #39
    thebigham's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    16 Aug 2005
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    57,324
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

    by » Thu January 24th, 2008, 22:15

    1/26/08 chart:

    2 WAR 162 159 PRINCE VERY BEST OF PRINCE 1,641 -21% 2,078 1,420,253 (1xp)

  15. #40
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    27 Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Thu January 24th, 2008, 22:34

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigham
    1/26/08 chart:

    2 WAR 162 159 PRINCE VERY BEST OF PRINCE 1,641 -21% 2,078 1,420,253 (1xp)
    Very good numbers for Prince but it seems like it has cut into "Purple Rain's" sales because it's not charting catalog wise like it was several months ago.

  16. #41

    by » Thu January 24th, 2008, 23:15

    Purple Rain is currently out of print in America right now, the entire Warner output (barring Very Best Of and Ultimate Prince, both released this decade) is currently deleted and no longer available at Amazon (and the Best Buy by me that used to have a lot of copies of Purple Rain and 1999 are out of it since they sold the remaining copies). I'm guessing we're going to have an announcement of remasters sometime this year, since Prince is turning 50 this summer and this summer also marks 30 years since For You was released.

  17. #42
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    27 Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Thu January 24th, 2008, 23:22

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    Purple Rain is currently out of print in America right now, the entire Warner output (barring Very Best Of and Ultimate Prince, both released this decade) is currently deleted and no longer available at Amazon (and the Best Buy by me that used to have a lot of copies of Purple Rain and 1999 are out of it since they sold the remaining copies). I'm guessing we're going to have an announcement of remasters sometime this year, since Prince is turning 50 this summer and this summer also marks 30 years since For You was released.
    Wow, i didn't know that thanks Nothing Fails.

  18. #43

  19. #44
    Legend
    Join Date
    14 Nov 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    11,969
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    by » Wed February 6th, 2008, 14:30

    From the NYT :



    In just three weeks, Prince's nine-song soundtrack album for ''Batman'' (Warner Brothers) has soared to No. 1 on Billboard's pop album chart, at least temporarily displacing ''The Raw and the Cooked'' by the Fine Young Cannibals. The album has already sold more than 1.6 million copies, and reorders continue to pour in at over 100,000 a week. ''Batdance,'' Prince's single from the soundtrack, has sold more than 980,000 copies and is No. 4 on Billboard's pop singles chart.
    25 June 2009, the day the Music died

  20. #45
    Edu's Avatar
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    08 Apr 2004
    Location
    Coimbra, Portugal
    Posts
    1,013
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Sun October 26th, 2008, 23:11

    Don't ask me why only now, but last October 17, the Prince's album 1999 was certified Platinum by the BPI !!

    So, since 2004 we had

    "Diamonds & Pearls" at 3xPlatinum (November 2004)
    "Prince" , Silver (November 2004)

    and now 4 years later "1999".

    And i ask, where is the certification for "Purple Rain"???

    It's now 18 years (!!) since its 2xPlatinum award...


    :evil:

  21. #46

    by » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 21:46

    good time to update this as

    Prince to release new CD set through Target

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090302/ap_ ... lcF3FxFb8C

    Prince is coming to a Target near you.

    The superstar is releasing a three-disc CD set through the retailer at the end of this month. The set will include two new albums — "LOtUSFLOW3R" and "MPLSoUND" — as well as a third by his new artist, Bria Valente, for the price of $11.98.

    Prince is just the latest music legend to release new music exclusively through a major retailer. AC/DC and the Eagles were among the acts who sold millions of CDs through their partnership with Wal-Mart.

    Prince has released his recent CDs through major labels, but they were one-album deals that gave him the flexibility to go elsewhere when the project was done. Last fall, he released a coffee table book of photos titled "21 Nights" documenting his record-breaking, 21-night run at London's 02 Arena in 2007. The book also included a CD of live performances.

    "Prince has long been renowned as one of the world's most original and iconic musical artists," said Mark Schindele, Target's senior vice president of merchandising. "We are thrilled to have the opportunity to share his most recent work with our Target guests."

    The CD set will be on sale at Target and its Web site on March 29.

    Prince and Target: Match Made in Discount Heaven

    http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0 ... topstories



    When you think of Prince, do you expect to get more and pay less? Probably not, but that hasn't prevented Target, the 1,677 store discount chain, from striking a deal with his royal funkiness to be the exclusive retail outlet for Prince's new three-disc set. The Prince collection features two predictably tough to spell-check original studio albums, LOtUSFLOW3R and MPLSoUND, and a third record, Elixer, which will introduce the world to Bria Valente, the next in the long line of purple protégés.

    Target will bundle all three albums together for $11.98, available starting March 29.

    Other than the fact that both hail from Minneapolis, what brings this odd couple together is one thing: money. Linking up with an exclusive retailer is not a new idea, but of late it's proven to be quite a profitable one, at least for well-established musicians. The Eagles and AC/DC released their most recent original albums exclusively through Wal-Mart — in January, Bruce Springsteen gave the chain an exclusive greatest hits set — and each benefited from massive in-store promotion and stop-the-cart placement; AC/DC's Black Ice sold 1.92 million copies to rank as the fifth best-selling album of 2008. Paul McCartney also saw some of the best sales of his solo career when he struck a less exclusive deal with Starbucks and its record arm Hear Music.

    While no one on the music or retailing sides is desperate to reveal the price tag of an exclusive rights deal, several sources indicate that bands have received in the mid-six figures to fork over their music and participate in promotion.

    As interesting as Prince's new music is likely to be — and through all of his experiments and career meandering, he's never made a dull album — the marriage of musician and retailer is just as intriguing. The upside for Prince is obvious: in an era when record sales continue to slide, there's nothing quite as sweet as cash up-front, even if it does mean your face on a big cardboard display right next to the Swiffer. For Target, there's a small element of brand burnishing — Prince likes us! — but the music is primarily just one more product to seduce shoppers into stores.

    Whether Target sees an uptick in sales of purple linens remains to be seen, but each of these rock and retail experiments brings the future of the record industry into slightly sharper relief. And for mature acts who can bring an upscale fan base into stores, that future appears to be brightening.

  22. #47
    borderwolf's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    11 Dec 2006
    Location
    Traversetolo - Italy
    Posts
    45,278
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

    by » Sat April 4th, 2009, 13:16

    U.S.A.
    Top SOUNDTRACKS
    Week Ending 3/29/09
    WAR 33 35 30 PRINCE PURPLE RAIN 1,170 1,057 11 2,522,331
    Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

  23. #48

    by » Sun April 5th, 2009, 07:50

    bring on the remasters!!!

    With this being the 25th anniversary of Purple Rain, it'd be stupid if Warner doesn't cash in and do a remaster/deluxe edition or something like that. These 1980's Prince cd's need a sound upgrade. I think Around The World In A Day, Parade, Sign O' The Times and Lovesexy have the potential to sound amazing remastered. All four of those albums have so much sonically going for it that hearing them remastered would be like listening to them for the very first time.

  24. #49
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    23 Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,180
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Sun April 5th, 2009, 14:42

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    bring on the remasters!!!

    With this being the 25th anniversary of Purple Rain, it'd be stupid if Warner doesn't cash in and do a remaster/deluxe edition or something like that. These 1980's Prince cd's need a sound upgrade. I think Around The World In A Day, Parade, Sign O' The Times and Lovesexy have the potential to sound amazing remastered. All four of those albums have so much sonically going for it that hearing them remastered would be like listening to them for the very first time.
    Yeah. I bought Purple Rain 6 months ago. Of course, it definitely needs remastering.
    Warner should be remastering all of his albums from 1979-1988, or at least just the huge classics - "Dirty Mind", "1999", "Purple Rain", "Parade" and "Sign O' the Times". ATWIAD and Lovesexy are good albums, but not masterpieces...
    BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & BARBRA STREISAND celebrating their 9th #1 albums this year. Still making history...

  25. #50

    by » Tue April 7th, 2009, 21:21

    according to HDD (I hope Soundscan too), LotusFlow3r is #1 with 185k. Giving him a fifth US #1 album!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •