Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 990

Thread: Janet Jackson :: The "20 Y.O." Era

  1. #1
    Legend
    Join Date
    12 May 2005
    Posts
    10,458
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 03:21

    OK so the album isn't out yet, but I'm wonder what everyone think the album will sell worldwide. I think it will sell more than Damita Jo that's for sure. Maybe 2M in the U.S. and 3M worldwide = 5M. No?

    Maybe this album will help her worldwide sales reach 70? 80? million mark. Her worldwide sales of past albums are of course debatable.

    I guess we'll find out by next week how well this album is gonna do

  2. #2
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 03:48

    somebody from the janet.xone forum posted a reply of jermaine in his myspace. he asked if he will be applying for the recertification fo janet's albums. jermaine said yes so don't be surprised if between control to damita jo, she already reached WW sales of 70M to 80M. I just hope jermaine is true to his word

  3. #3
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 03:50

    After one day of sales, 20YO debuted at no. 11 in the japanese comprehensive charts. today it is already at number 7 in the same charts. Damita Jo landed only at no. 10 while AFY reached number 4 (No. 1 among foreign albums). So things are looking better for janet this time around in Japan.

  4. #4
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    23 Jun 2005
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,709
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 03:50

    I hate to be a grim reaper as I am a huge Janet fan and was really pulling for a HUGE comeback, but I think her new album is going to tank.

    I am guessing 1.2 million in the U.S. and maybe 2.7 million worldwide. I know that sounds harsh, and maybe I will be wrong, but the public just isn't biting on this one - her first two singles didn't even do that well on iTunes, honestly.

    Her Oprah appearance next week will goose her first week sales - but after that - I think this thing is gonna fall faster than an anvil on a Looney Toons character.

  5. #5
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 04:09

    Quote Originally Posted by ManTooth
    I hate to be a grim reaper as I am a huge Janet fan and was really pulling for a HUGE comeback, but I think her new album is going to tank.

    I am guessing 1.2 million in the U.S. and maybe 2.7 million worldwide. I know that sounds harsh, and maybe I will be wrong, but the public just isn't biting on this one - her first two singles didn't even do that well on iTunes, honestly.

    Her Oprah appearance next week will goose her first week sales - but after that - I think this thing is gonna fall faster than an anvil on a Looney Toons character.
    i hope your wrong though...but what this album is lacking is a big international hit single to sustain the sales. TVR had Together Again, and AFY had All For you (single). call on me was only successful in the US while So Excited hasn't made any impact yet. hopefully afyer her Oprah performance of So Excited is will experience a big surge in airplay and downloads

  6. #6
    Manager
    Join Date
    17 Jul 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    4,289
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 05:05

    'All For You' and 'The Velvet Rope' did like 3 million outside the US, so I highly doubt this album is going to do that much. I'd say like 2 million in the US and 3.5-4 million worldwide if everything goes well.

  7. #7
    Manager
    Join Date
    14 Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,142
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 10:35

    Think it will do worldwide on a par with Damita Jo. There's no massive tune to really launch the project, for a start - JJ always usually has a fantastic first and often second singles to get the album going, but this time, like last, the general reaction of radio seems to be a bit blah - already.

    I think the main problem is not changing her team. Jam and Lewis are great, but their best moments prob are behind them. The whole sound of this album isn't classic, just a bit tired.

    So Excited will flop in UK, esp given the downloads situation - lucky to make top 40, I'd say.

    Album I think will go top 20 in UK, perhaps sell 100K total.
    Mummy, mummy, it's the Gods!

  8. #8
    SholasBoy's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    01 Aug 2002
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    41,099
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

    by » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 10:47

    The album will bomb, I didn't even realise it was coming out already.

  9. #9
    joao's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    30 Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,063
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

    by » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 13:01

    I wouldn´t be surprised if this album ends up selling even less then Damita Jo. When an artist has a flop like that he must comeback with a huge tune to conquer back his fanbase, like Madonna did with Hung Up and Mariah with WBT, but sorry, Janet´s new single is laughable. That isn´t even worth being a b-side. She failed with her last album with great songs like Just A Little While and Dance All Night, so I have no reasons to think she will have any sucess with a totally unatractive and unappealing song like Call On Me. In USA it can´t do much more then 1 million. Internationally, she doesn´t have a proper fanbase... In most countries, Damita Jo charted like 37 - 98 - out, which means she virtually doesn´t have a fanbase in these countries. Damita Jo´s performance in Europe made Mariah´s Glitter look like Thriller in terms of chart sucess.

  10. #10
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 14:44

    Quote Originally Posted by joao
    I wouldn´t be surprised if this album ends up selling even less then Damita Jo. When an artist has a flop like that he must comeback with a huge tune to conquer back his fanbase, like Madonna did with Hung Up and Mariah with WBT, but sorry, Janet´s new single is laughable. That isn´t even worth being a b-side. She failed with her last album with great songs like Just A Little While and Dance All Night, so I have no reasons to think she will have any sucess with a totally unatractive and unappealing song like Call On Me. In USA it can´t do much more then 1 million. Internationally, she doesn´t have a proper fanbase... In most countries, Damita Jo charted like 37 - 98 - out, which means she virtually doesn´t have a fanbase in these countries. Damita Jo´s performance in Europe made Mariah´s Glitter look like Thriller in terms of chart sucess.
    oh i disagree. it will MOST definitely out perform Damita Jo. it already is a success in japan relative to damita jo:

    Itunes Japan:

    the album is #1 pop album and the deluxe edition is #5 pop. 20 y.o. is #2 on the overall chart and the deluxe is #17 on the overall chart. so excited is @ #4 for R&B Songs and #79 on the overall single chart. Call On Me is #8 on the PoP singles chart and #63 on the overall singles chart. There is also an add for the All For You video along with the add for the new album up.

    Summary of singles in Itunes Japan:

    altogether Janet has 11 entries on the Itunes Japan Pop Singles Chart. For some reason Call On Me is on there twice and So excited is also listed as a pop single.

    #8 COM
    #11COM
    #18 Doesnt Really Matter
    #25 So Excited
    #35 All For You
    #45 With U
    #52 Take Care
    #53 Someone To Call My Lover
    #68 Daybreak
    #77 Get It Out Me
    #92 Enjoy

  11. #11

    Join Date
    11 Sep 2005
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    by » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 15:02

    I've never been a big fan of Janet but I just hope the best for her and her new album. If she gets platinum in the USA, also in Europe and sell like 3 millions copies WW that would be a good improvement.

    Worts scenario/Copies shipped:
    America: 550K
    Europe: 450K
    Rest: 500K

    1.4 millions :-?
    Whiskey River take my mind,
    Don't let her mem'ry torture me.
    Whiskey River don't run dry,
    You're all I've got, take care of me.

  12. #12
    joao's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    30 Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,063
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

    by » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 20:26

    I know midweeks is not allowed, but that horrible single is strugling to have a position in the UK top 20, charting even worse then the first single from Damita Jo, so be prepared for another album charting somewhere near # 35 and leaving the chart after just 1 or 2 weeks in UK. This album will NEVER get close to 1 million copies in Europe, lucky to sell 1/3 of that.

  13. #13
    Roadie
    Join Date
    01 Apr 2006
    Posts
    589
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    by » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 21:15

    Damita Jo didn't go top 20 in one EU country
    she's such a local act.
    Christina Aguilera-Back To Basics in stores 15th August

  14. #14
    Manager
    Join Date
    21 Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,453
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Sat September 23rd, 2006, 01:15

    Quote Originally Posted by joao
    I know midweeks is not allowed, but that horrible single is strugling to have a position in the UK top 20, charting even worse then the first single from Damita Jo, so be prepared for another album charting somewhere near # 35 and leaving the chart after just 1 or 2 weeks in UK. This album will NEVER get close to 1 million copies in Europe, lucky to sell 1/3 of that.
    It will DEFINATELY be top 20 in the UK, it's 20-30% ahead of no.20 positions sales but still a poor position I guess....

  15. #15
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Sat September 23rd, 2006, 02:27

    Quote Originally Posted by blade699
    Quote Originally Posted by joao
    I know midweeks is not allowed, but that horrible single is strugling to have a position in the UK top 20, charting even worse then the first single from Damita Jo, so be prepared for another album charting somewhere near # 35 and leaving the chart after just 1 or 2 weeks in UK. This album will NEVER get close to 1 million copies in Europe, lucky to sell 1/3 of that.
    It will DEFINATELY be top 20 in the UK, it's 20-30% ahead of no.20 positions sales but still a poor position I guess....
    i hope it cracks the top 10. COM was top 20 right?

  16. #16
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Sat September 23rd, 2006, 06:48

    update in itunes japan:

    20YO is now the number 1 album in the overall charts. the deluxe version is at number 20. does itunes downloads count in the oricon charts same way billboard counts album downloads for the albums charts?

    things are looking up for ms. jackson in Japan and this is without any promotion yet. she starts promoting in Japan come October...

  17. #17
    Superstar
    Join Date
    26 Mar 2006
    Location
    behind the sun
    Posts
    6,645
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Sat September 23rd, 2006, 08:32

    Damita Jo was amazing-and it flopped

    I don't know how 20yo can top the chart success of dj

  18. #18
    Yoshie's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    16 Jan 2006
    Posts
    24,205
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    by » Sat September 23rd, 2006, 09:46

    20 Y.O. is a really good album - don't think it deserves to flop at all.

    Call On Me WILL be top 20 in the UK this week.

  19. #19
    stevyy's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    14 May 2005
    Location
    .dk
    Posts
    55,817
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)

    by » Sat September 23rd, 2006, 10:33

    20 Y.O. starts a bit low but becomes better and better in the end. Great album.. I think it could do 1.5 mill in the US and maybe 1.5 mill outside.

  20. #20
    Legend
    Join Date
    12 May 2005
    Posts
    10,458
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Sat September 23rd, 2006, 15:38

    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzy
    Damita Jo was amazing-and it flopped

    I don't know how 20yo can top the chart success of dj
    I didn't think Damita Jo was amazing. It had some decent songs on it but none of the songs that got released made any impact on the charts. To me it was her weakest album to date. At least with 20 Y.O. Call On Me made a little impact and it looks like So Excited is about to take off a little. Let's hope it's gonna have some success to help sell the album.

  21. #21
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Sat September 23rd, 2006, 15:43

    Quote Originally Posted by stevyy
    20 Y.O. starts a bit low but becomes better and better in the end. Great album.. I think it could do 1.5 mill in the US and maybe 1.5 mill outside.
    i have a feeling that it will do better. jermaine and virgin will push this album ad hard as they can.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    22 Jan 2006
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    by » Sat September 23rd, 2006, 17:29

    Quote Originally Posted by robbyds
    update in itunes japan:

    20YO is now the number 1 album in the overall charts. the deluxe version is at number 20. does itunes downloads count in the oricon charts same way billboard counts album downloads for the albums charts?

    things are looking up for ms. jackson in Japan and this is without any promotion yet. she starts promoting in Japan come October...
    Very Good!!!

  23. #23
    Roadie
    Join Date
    07 Aug 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    752
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    by » Sat September 23rd, 2006, 18:00

    Personally I think that although this album is better than Damita Jo, it's one of her weakest. Plus the lead single is pretty bad. So Excited has the potential to be a big hit but people en masse just don't seem to be biting. I'm not expecting big things in the US. Worldwide she may fair better though.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    06 Apr 2006
    Posts
    382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    by » Sat September 23rd, 2006, 18:01

    "So Excited" Sep 16 - Sep 22

    Top-40 Stations: 13 spins (down 11) at .06 M audience impressions

    Rhythmic: 189 spins (up 40) at 3.346 M audience impressions

    Urban: 743 spins (up 378) at 4.669 M audience impressions.

    Her rank on overall airplay chart is in the 230-240 range. To crack Top-100 she needs about 20 M, Top-50 35 M, and Top-20 60 M.

    It might be an OK urban hit with overall airplay peaking around #75 on US Airplay Chart, but with very little potential of cross-over.

  25. #25
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Sun September 24th, 2006, 06:50

    Quote Originally Posted by yalejock76
    "So Excited" Sep 16 - Sep 22

    Top-40 Stations: 13 spins (down 11) at .06 M audience impressions

    Rhythmic: 189 spins (up 40) at 3.346 M audience impressions

    Urban: 743 spins (up 378) at 4.669 M audience impressions.

    Her rank on overall airplay chart is in the 230-240 range. To crack Top-100 she needs about 20 M, Top-50 35 M, and Top-20 60 M.

    It might be an OK urban hit with overall airplay peaking around #75 on US Airplay Chart, but with very little potential of cross-over.
    thanks for the update. let's wait and see. I heard that the official add date for Pop and Rhythmic has still yet to come...that's why it has only grown in Urban...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •