X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timor
    Personal Assistant
    • 16 Jun 2002

Originally posted by Liberty_X_fan
    Victoria Beckham is the only spice girl to have all her releases singles and album top 10...........
    I wouldnt call VB a singer.

Comment

• Maripol
      Manager
      • 14 Jul 2005

Originally posted by TheBiatches
      Originally posted by Maripol

If hard sales are quite good, and downloads are really bad, that is a clear indicator that it's only people who collect all her formats ie big big fans are still buying her music. And you can look at the album sales too. Who knows if more promo would have made a difference. At the end of the day, a dull tune is a dull tune.

I actually think doing Downtown was a big mistake - just made her look like a cheap karaoke act. I mean, who would really take her seriously now?
      We don't know how the physical sales went, we don't know if she sold a few hundreds and that's it. It's OBVIOUS that if the song was #16 on physicals it's because her fans bought it, but it's kind of normal considering the fact that the song wasn't added to any major playlist and that it didn't even make the Airplay Top50, and she only did two performances on TV.

Looking at the sales of the album, which sold more than 40,000 copies, you can see that not only hardcore fans bought it, because otherwise, the single would have been much higher than #60, don't you think?

As for people not being able to take her seriously, who knows, perhaps she didn't want to be taken seriously in the first place. And I seriously don't see anything wrong with covering a song like 'Downtown', it's not like she went and did her own version of the 'Cheeky Song'.
      my point about doing a cover version is, it's only a really short-term answer. As soon as you do a cover of a song that's very well known already, sure you get a big hit, but afterwards... where do you go from there. Pop acts usually resort to doing covers when the a) the record label doesnt want to comnmit or is unsure where the artist is going b) to tread water while they decide.

And yeh if a paltry 40,000 bought the album - in itself a disaster - and a smaller number bought this single, it pretty much shows even her fanbase is deserting her.

Either way, it's over for this Emma album.

Bring on the Spice reunion!
      Mummy, mummy, it's the Gods!

Comment

• TheBiatches
        Personal Assistant
        • 24 Feb 2006

Originally posted by Timor
        Victoria Beckham is the only spice girl to have all her releases singles and album top 10...........
        I wouldnt call VB a singer.
        I would. She was in a band and had a solo album and recorded a second one. Now if you want to say she was a BAD singer, fine. But she was definitely a singer for a while.

my point about doing a cover version is, it's only a really short-term answer. As soon as you do a cover of a song that's very well known already, sure you get a big hit, but afterwards... where do you go from there. Pop acts usually resort to doing covers when the a) the record label doesnt want to comnmit or is unsure where the artist is going b) to tread water while they decide.

And yeh if a paltry 40,000 bought the album - in itself a disaster - and a smaller number bought this single, it pretty much shows even her fanbase is deserting her.

Either way, it's over for this Emma album.

Bring on the Spice reunion!
        Well, it was 'Children In Need' giving her the chance to record 'Downtown' for them. She obviously agreed to do it, but it doesn't mean that it was the record company making her do it because they weren't too confident about her.

As for her fanbase, i doubt she's got 40,000 fans, that's what i was trying to tell you. It definitely wasn't her hardcore fans buying the album because she surely doesn't have so many. It was random people, and had these people had the chance to hear 'All I Need To Know', you never know what might have happened. I agree that the song FLOPPED, but I can't agree when you say that she doesn't interest people anymore when those people didn't get the chance to hear the song on the radio.

Still, the song is a huge flop. And a Spice Girls reunion would be FANTASTIC.
        http://www.instagram.com/bornsimond

Comment

• Cactuar
          Superstar
          • 24 Dec 2006

Well, look at how much has she released. If Emma stopped before "We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight", she'd end up with the same title that VB has.
          Stan of: Devendra Banhart / Taylor Swift / Grimes / Utada Hikaru / Tori Amos
          Follow me on Last.fm?

Comment

• Homogenic
            • 17 Feb 2007

i think emma has definitely run her course now...charity singles generally do very well and the fact that downtown wasn't on the charts for very long and didn't sell all too many copies shows that it's maybe time for her to step away from music. her album flopped, this single will prob flop too. shame cos she has a really good voice! waste...
            You see everything, you see every part, you see all my light...and you love my dark [Alanis Morissette]

Comment

• RandyH
              • 19 Dec 2005

I like the album, but it just doesn't have the same amount of instantly catchy songs, or upbeat tracks included that Free Me had, and I think that has made it very difficult. Quite a few growers, but for a single, there's rarely enough time for growers to actually kick in and grab the attention of the general public. Add to that that the song didn't really get a ton of promotion and it was bound to go all wrong.

Emma should have released something a little more single-worthy, but I think any second single was going to struggle after the album didn't chart well. Doing the Downtown single was fine, but I think the album was released at the wrong time - Yes she had the television stuff going on, but the fact that Downtown was a charity single meant that there was no way to really guage how much support and momentum she had going for her. I would have liked to have seen a second single released, a more upbeat one, and then follow it up with the album. Anyway, with the baby news, I guess Emma can now focus her attention on that, everything happens for a reason ;)

Comment

• Cactuar
                Superstar
                • 24 Dec 2006

Such a shame though, now no one will realise there's a mega-polished gem on the album should have been a single. "Life In Mono" deserves a shot too at promoting the album, it's flawless Top 5 material given the right promotion and music video. Perhaps it's too wintery for a summer release?
                Stan of: Devendra Banhart / Taylor Swift / Grimes / Utada Hikaru / Tori Amos
                Follow me on Last.fm?

Comment

• babyboy
                  Personal Assistant
                  • 07 Mar 2004

what about sales?

Comment

• Nava22
                    Manager
                    • 22 Mar 2005

on a completely different note i've just found out Emma's moved into a new house with Jade just around the corner from me!!

i'll keep my eyes peeled for secret Spice reunions!
                    "Free me, FreE.M.I!" - sing it Joss!!

Comment

• Frederic
                      Legend
                      • 02 Jul 2005

I read she has ended her contract with her label ..

Comment

• Colin
                        Legend
                        • 05 Nov 2005

Originally posted by Frederic
                        I read she has ended her contract with her label ..
                        OMG no!

LIM is a great album.
                        LONG LIVE GIRLS ALOUD

Comment

• Frederic
                          Legend
                          • 02 Jul 2005

The message even says she's ended her carrier :-?

Comment

• GoodBoyGoneBad
                            Legend
                            • 20 Sep 2008

The Bimbo Jones remix is such an anthem!

I need new Emma!
                            My Chart

My Rihanna Countdown

Comment

• CrazyCrazy
                              Legend
                              • 06 Jan 2008

I really like this track from Emma, always have!
                              My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

• Fan
                                Legend
                                • 11 Jun 2006

This has always been such a cute, little song. Most certainly not the best single choice, as shown by it's chart performance, but it is lovely. I really miss the days of solo Spice music and just the pop world in 2006/2007 in general.
                                without any meaning, we're just skin and bones
                                like beautiful robots dancing alone

Comment

• Artoo
                                  • 01 May 2005

Originally posted by Fan
                                  This has always been such a cute, little song. Most certainly not the best single choice, as shown by it's chart performance, but it is lovely. I really miss the days of solo Spice music and just the pop world in 2006/2007 in general.
                                  She has a new single coming out the end of Feb. Video is done.
                                  I don't need no good advice, I'm already wasted​.

Comment

• Fan
                                    Legend
                                    • 11 Jun 2006

Yeah, I know. But we all know that probably won't even make the top 200 and makes this look like a big hit.
                                    without any meaning, we're just skin and bones
                                    like beautiful robots dancing alone

Comment

• Spartan
                                      Moderator and Site Supporter
                                      • 28 Feb 2009

Originally posted by Fan
                                      I agree, it’s a very cute song, nothing more though.

Comment

• BlueScorpion
                                        Superstar
                                        • 19 Nov 2011

WTF was she thinking here. Nobody will listen to this more than once.
                                        You ain't gotta break down,
                                        YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

Working...