User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Madeleine McCann

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 08-05-07, 12:29

Well im just astonished with the way british media has treated this case, in particular the attacks that have been made to the portuguese police.

As we all know, lil' Maddie disapeared thursday in a hotel resort in Algarve, when her parents were taking diner at a nearby restaurant, leaving 3 children home alone.

During that period, one of the children, Madeleine, suddendly disapeared.

By this time, 5 days later, the police is still reuning evidences and prooves, as it seems that the missing is so complex that its still unknown if Maddie is alive or not.

I was just watching Sky News, and i just got horrified how the journalist was interviewing a british investigator, more interested in humiliating portuguese police rather than gathering relevant answers to the public.

British media is ferocious, used to get all the information they want, whenever they want. But in an investigation all care must be taken, specially the information that is given and how much is given.

The criminal investigation portuguese police (policia judiciaria) is ranked one of the best worldwide, globally reckonized. In national cases, all the treatment that is given follows the same path: the information given to the media is scarce and poor, probably that is the success of their work.

Anyways, just want to know some opinions on how this matter, specially the british media cover of this case.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 08-05-07, 17:50

Oh, this is the 3 year old girl who was kidnapped on holiday from a British family...
    LONG LIVE GIRLS ALOUD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 08-05-07, 18:16

Her poor family!! it is so sad they even got celebrities such as cristiano ronaldo appealing for her now.. it is so sad.. :( but what irratates me is the media giving out about the portugese police in all fairness the matter here is the little girl and her family.. hopefully she will be ok.. even if it isnt lokking too good.. my thoughts and prayers are with her and her family members
    'If you feel like running away, you know I'd understaaaand..' - I am also an All American Reject

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 08-05-07, 19:48

I was just reading the Evening Standard (which is not a tabloid as far as I know), and, apparently, the Portuguese police did act like novices... The first line in the article was something like "the police called off the search until the next day, as it was already midnight". I hope this is just a bad ES joke, if not, I fully agree with the British press (and I do not do that often, believe me!)
    Let's have a second referendum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-05-07, 00:23

Well aparently your media is too harsh on police.

here the police LANGUAGE PLEASE!! to the media pressures...

they do what must be done. Our laws are VERY EXTREMLY restrictive to what and how many information police can give to the public.

they consider that could affect somewhat the investigations.

In the UK it seems police are front page...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 11-05-07, 12:37

I was just reading the Evening Standard (which is not a tabloid as far as I know), and, apparently, the Portuguese police did act like novices...
    Today the breaking news in Portugal, around all TV channels, include a statement from Maddie's parents slamming british press for all the dirty campaign (that the world is used to see) on the portuguese police investigation, saying that they are doing everything that can be done and all efforts and resources are being gathering to find Madeleine McCann.

Funny how i watched Sky News (who is in the front row of this dirty campaign) and they didnt even refered this fact, not even they broadcasted (yet) the parents statement...

As you know portuguese police is colaborating with 2 investigators from UK, that arrived yesterday to Algarve. A national TV channel (SIC) in Leicester tried to reach the british police criminal department looking for some answers that suposedly the portuguese is not fond to give.

Ironicly, the portuguese reporters were given the confirmation that 2 investigators had been sent to Portugal but could not advance further informations..

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 14-05-07, 22:56

OH MY GOD

IS THIS REALLY NEEDED?

who gives a flying fuck about the "dirty campaign" the most important thing is finding the kid

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 14-05-07, 22:59

*update*: Police have been questioning a British Man who lives 160 yards away from where she was snatched. He'd been there from the start of the search, and came across as quite suspicious... http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?...mentid=4922157

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-05-07, 00:15

A major TV program in Portugal has just broadcasted that 3 people have been made suspects.

An english man and his mother (both residents in Algarve) and another man.

The english man (in his 30's-40's) was made suspect by the PORTUGUESE criminal police because the man has not been seeing in the neighbourhood for some days by now, though he was among the people of the nearby community that was offering help and volunteership twenty for seven.

His mother, a long term resident in Algarve, was on the news a few days ago after she decided to establish a street desk in which she encouraged the local population not fond of giving informations to the police, to give them to herself that could lead the police's investigations to the trill of Maddie. She would later direct that information to the police.

These kind of behaviours made the local police suspect of their real intentions and activities. It is reported that some relations between the english man and his mother and another english couple are being investigated too.

However not much information is given by the portuguese police for all the legal procedures that the national criminal investigation operates under.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-05-07, 00:21

who gives a flying **** about the "dirty campaign" the most important thing is finding the kid
    belive me, there were very few times in my life that caused me tears and one of those moments are Maddie's missing.

The whole portuguese nation is stuck on newspapers and TV channels to find out more news on Maddie.

Today as the national Tv broadcasted new informations that ive already explained above, the entire team that works with me at Lisbon's airport just completely stopped to watch the news.

HOwever, we cannot ignore how dirty british media have been to our efforts that, i repeat, are not even comparable to those applied to portuguese missing children.

Sky News (as a regard as the front line responsible for this campaign against portuguese criminal police of nothing been done) has contradicted itself by posting today this quote in Skynews.com:

Madeleine was taken from the apartment where her family had been staying while on holiday, sparking a massive police investigation and a worldwide media appeal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-05-07, 18:27

Quote Originally Posted by arronlei
    OH MY GOD

IS THIS REALLY NEEDED?

who gives a flying **** about the "dirty campaign" the most important thing is finding the kid
    well said..
    'If you feel like running away, you know I'd understaaaand..' - I am also an All American Reject

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 18-05-07, 23:25

The British media are probably the most savage in the world, they can get away with anything

But I don't think in this case the police were treated badly, they were just angry that the Portuguese police for some reason kept schtum when really they should be working with the media to publicise the case

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 18-05-07, 23:34

Hello,
    Under Portuguese Law, the Police there cannot tell the Media loads of information every step of the way - unlike in the UK.

The Portuguese Police have simply been working under Portuguese Law. To the UK Media, it looks like they are being too secretive. And, that they have no clues - but, really, I believe that they know more than they can tell us - and we should all pray for the Little Girl to be found, rather than picking on the Portuguese Police, just because their Privacy Laws are much tougher than in the UK.

Yes, if their Laws on this matter were not so tough, we would have been given far more information - but, it is not up to the Police to change their Country's Laws - it is up to the Portuguese Parliament.

Just as the UK Police have to obey the Laws that the UK Parliament tells them to work under.

Zeus555

by 02-05-11, 12:57

McCanns mark Madeleine anniversary

Kate and Gerry McCann are to mark the fourth anniversary of their daughter Madeleine's disappearance privately with family and friends.

The couple are keeping a low profile as Mrs McCann, 43, prepares to publish her account of how the little girl vanished on a family holiday to Portugal in 2007.

Proceeds from the book - which is simply entitled Madeleine and goes on sale on May 12 - will boost their dwindling fund to search for their daughter.

They also hope that the publication of the work will prompt people holding vital information about what happened to the child to come forward at last.

The McCanns, from Rothley, Leicestershire, are not giving any interviews to mark the anniversary of Madeleine's disappearance this year, although they will do some to promote their book.

Family spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: "It will be a private day marked with family and friends. The anniversary is normally a very low-key occasion at home for them."

He added that there were no plans for them to return to Portugal for the sad four-year landmark.

The 384-page book, which Mrs McCann has written herself without the aid of a ghost writer, has a recommended retail price of 20 and is expected to become a best-seller.

It was originally due to be published last week but publishers Transworld postponed the release date by a fortnight to avoid clashing with the royal wedding.

Extracts from the book will be serialised by newspapers from this weekend before the book is published on Madeleine's eighth birthday.

Copyright (c) Press Association Ltd. 2011, All Rights Reserved.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 02-05-11, 13:15

Why would you leave your children home alone in a foreign country. Their own neglectful fault
    "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Legend
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 02-05-11, 19:10

I still don't know how they can function in life with this hanging over them, it'd be on my mind every living second it must be pure hell! Although it'd be devastating, at least if she were found dead they could grieve and have closure on it once and for all.

by 03-05-11, 10:29

Quote Originally Posted by aaliyahman
    Why would you leave your children home alone in a foreign country. Their own neglectful fault
    Of course - it's the parents' fault. So there should have been no attempt whatsoever to find Madeleine, right? They deserved what happened to them.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 03-05-11, 13:03

:( Be terrible for those parents. Poor little Madeleine.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 03-05-11, 14:35

Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    Quote Originally Posted by aaliyahman
    Of course - it's the parents' fault. So there should have been no attempt whatsoever to find Madeleine, right? They deserved what happened to them.
    Did I say that? No. They should definitely try and find her and it is awful that she has been snatched but yes the parents ARE partly to blame. I feel sympathy for them and great worry for Madeleine but it is limited for the parents by their own negligance and the massive outpour of all media concerning their grief etc etc. Plenty of other children have gone missing before and have been murdered yet this case has been lodged in the news since it happened. In other cases, the ONLY one to blame has been the kidnapper or murderer. Why, in the instance where the parents have not given their correct duty of care, has there been such sensationalisation?

by 03-05-11, 14:40

You seem to have forgotten that most of the media coverage about the McCanns was extremely negative - with suggestions (if not outright allegations) in sections of the Portuguese (who, in this instance, were far worse than the UK tabloids) and British press suggesting that the McCanns had (perhaps accidentally, while trying to sedate the children) murdered Madeleine and disposed of her body before raising the alarm and "acting" the part of the grieving parents.

You seem to think they left the kids and went somewhere else, miles away - they were having dinner just outside the apartment complex, and were checking on the children at regular intervals.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 03-05-11, 14:52

Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    You seem to have forgotten that most of the media coverage about the McCanns was extremely negative - with suggestions (if not outright allegations) in sections of the Portuguese (who, in this instance, were far worse than the UK tabloids) and British press suggesting that the McCanns had (perhaps accidentally, while trying to sedate the children) murdered Madeleine and disposed of her body before raising the alarm and "acting" the part of the grieving parents.

You seem to think they left the kids and went somewhere else, miles away - they were having dinner just outside the apartment complex, and were checking on the children at regular intervals.
    I haven't forgotten that at all. This is getting the same, if not more coverage than say the James Bulger murder. How do you know what 'I seem to think'. Checking in on them from a distance is still at a distance. ESPECIALLY in a foreign country.

by 03-05-11, 15:07

So they should have camped out in the childrens' bedroom then? Had they been in the apartment, but not in the same room, they may not have been aware that someone had broken in - if someone is determined to get in silently, it's possible, and when a child is asleep, it is certainly possible to take them from their bed without waking them. Because IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY one should expect someone to break into a child's bedroom and abduct a child?