Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Belgian Chart Archives - Questions & Answers

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 10-09-07, 13:26

A new online archive of the weekly Top 30 singles chart for Dutch-speaking Belgium which has been broadcast on various radio stations (currently, all the regional variants of "Radio 2") for the past 37 years has been created over the last few months - and is now (very nearly!) complete and accurate. It can be found here:

http://radio2.be/top30overzichtarchief.cfm

The link "Wil je ons archief doorzoeken? Klik dan hier... " leads to a page allowing the whole archive to be searched for particular artists, titles etc:

http://radio2.be/programmapaginatop30_zoek.cfm?regio=22

However, it should be borne in mind that there are some inconsistencies in spelling and other matters of presentation, so if you are looking for full chart-runs it might be worth checking the individual weekly lists, just to be certain. For example, some of the hits of Holland's most successful group are shown as BZN and others are B.Z.N. - so the search engine will not find all of them with the same search!

I say "very nearly" complete, because my checks have revealed two missing weekly charts (out of 1,952!) and around two dozen other anomalies, which I've e-mailed to the compilers. Hopefully they will rectify these in due course. (If anyone spots anything else that seems wrong, maybe they could note it on this thread?)

It should be noted that this Top 30 has been the "official" Flanders chart (or one of the "official" charts) for most of, but not all of, the last 37 years.

More specifically:

From 1971 to early 1995 it was the BRT Top 30 (also known as the VRT Top 30?) - which was the chart from which the Top 15 was used in the Europarade. There was a period starting in the late 1980s, however, when Dutch-language singles were excluded from this chart (although they remained in other charts!).

From early 1995 until early 2001 the Radio 2 Top 30 was just the Top 30 of the Ultratop 50.

From early 2001 the compilation basis was changed such that certain types of hit were excluded or relegated to much lower positions than their sales would merit.

Since the end of 2006, the weekly Top 30 has been significantly different from the Ultratop, and has included several singles which haven't even been UltraTips, and so probably have barely been selling at all! So the basis of compilation has clearly changed again, but I don't know how. Maybe other readers can clarify this?

Anyway, it's still a very full and potentially useful new archive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 10-09-07, 19:34

Hi CZB
    Thanks for the Belgian archive. I hope that was a sales only chart.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 11-09-07, 12:13

Thanks, CZB!
    Well, I have a question:
    http://radio2.be/archiefpagina.cfm?type ... oudzoekers
    are certified Gold the albums on that link?
    I have problems with english, you know, and with Flanders language is not better.....
    Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 11-09-07, 13:29

Quote Originally Posted by borderwolf
    Thanks, CZB!
    Well, I have a question:
    http://radio2.be/archiefpagina.cfm?type ... oudzoekers
    are certified Gold the albums on that link?
    I have problems with english, you know, and with Flanders language is not better.....
    I think this is just a page about one of their radio shows, in which they feature a well-known album every week.

I don't think it is about certifications.

I could be wrong, though!

Quote Originally Posted by dariusz_regiel
    Hi CZB
    Thanks for the Belgian archive. I hope that was a sales only chart.
    It certainly was from April 1995 until April 2001, when they started tinkering with it.

Before then, I'm not sure what the BRT / VRT top 30 was based on. I thought it was just sales, but the introduction to "Het Belgisch Hitboek" doesn't confirm this one way or the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 11-09-07, 19:01

Quote Originally Posted by CZB
    Before then, I'm not sure what the BRT / VRT top 30 was based on. I thought it was just sales, but the introduction to "Het Belgisch Hitboek" doesn't confirm this one way or the other.
    As far as I know, it was a mix of sales and airplay (or listener choices), but sales counted much more. It was mainly based upon a telephone survey at a large number of record shops across Flanders and Brussels. Anyway, it was certainly by far the chart which was considered most official for the Flemish part of Belgium.

Around 1988/89 Dutch-language singles from Belgium were excluded and listed in a separate "Flemish top 10" (which still exists today), while Dutch-language singles made in the Netherlands continued to be able to chart in the main chart. This however did not happen often in these 6 years.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 11-09-07, 19:35

Quote Originally Posted by cavefan
    Quote Originally Posted by CZB
    As far as I know, it was a mix of sales and airplay (or listener choices), but sales counted much more. It was mainly based upon a telephone survey at a large number of record shops across Flanders and Brussels. Anyway, it was certainly by far the chart which was considered most official for the Flemish part of Belgium.

Around 1988/89 Dutch-language singles from Belgium were excluded and listed in a separate "Flemish top 10" (which still exists today), while Dutch-language singles made in the Netherlands continued to be able to chart in the main chart. This however did not happen often in these 6 years.
    The "Hitboek" says it was "mid-1988" when the Dutch-language singles from Belgium were excluded - and the last one I can see in the chart before they went was "Ik Mis Je" by Dany Fabry ( 12 - 10 - 8 - 4 - 6 - 12 - 12 - 29 - 29 ), its last week being 14th May 1988.

And yes - Dutch-language singles from the Netherlands did still chart - but not often! The only two that come to mind are "Alles kan...." by Rene Froger (from near the beginning of that period) and "Dromen Zijn Bedrog" by Marco Borsato (from near the end). I don't think there were many others in between!

The Ultratop book has this to say about the more primitive methods of compilation which came before it:

Before Ultratop, the charts were produced by means of a telephone survey carried out by an official overseer, and later on the basis of units reported by the industry. Neither of these systems gave an accurate picture of sales. Responses to the telephone survey were not only easy to manipulate, they were also invariably subjective. Retailers found it easier to remember their recent sales and harder to remember those at the beginning of the week.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 01-12-07, 17:23

Nearly two months on, I've just looked back at this new archive - and unfortunately none of the anomalies I identified have been rectified. I didn't receive any reply to my e-mail - so maybe it didn't reach them.

So I'll list here the (only!) 19 potential or definite errors/omissions, in the hope that anyone else with details of the charts concerned might be able to fill in some of the remaining blanks, or confirm or deny my thoughts.

Starting with the most recent, ending with the oldest:

1. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 14 februari 2004

The archive shows:

13 11 5 Ladies Night ATOMIC KITTEN
    14 12 12 It's My Life NO DOUBT

I think these should be:

13 12 12 It's My Life NO DOUBT
    14 11 5 Ladies Night ATOMIC KITTEN

2. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 29 december 2001

This week is missing - the chart shown is the Top 30 of the year 2001. All positions except number 18 can be found from the next week's chart - and the number 18 is probably Peter Van Laet & Walter Grootaers with "De Gedachten Zijn Vrij" ?

3. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 23 juni 2001

The archive shows:

23 15 You JUDITH

I think this should be

23 15 Destiny X-SESSION

4. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 16 juni 2001

The archive shows:

15 11 You JUDITH

I think this should be

15 10 Destiny X-SESSION

5. De UltraTop 30 van zaterdag 26 december 1998

This week is missing - the chart shown is the Top 30 of the year 1998. All positions except 29 and 30 can be found from the next week's chart.

6. De UltraTop 30 van zaterdag 3 oktober 1998

The archive shows:

26 27 6 Freak Me ANOTHER LEVEL
    27 25 7 Een Vrouw OPIUM
    28 26 21 Innocence MACKENZIE FT. JESSY
    30 0 1 Everybody Get Up FIVE

These are from the previous week's chart. This week's should be:

26 22 11 Pata Pata COUMBA GAWLO
    27 23 18 Het Ploplied KABOUTER PLOP
    28 27 8 Een Vrouw OPIUM
    30 28 22 Innocence MACKENZIE FT. JESSY

7. De UltraTop 30 van zaterdag 18 juli 1998

The archive shows:

25 26 My Heart Will Go On CELINE DION
    29 0 My Heart Will Go On CELINE DION

These should be:

25 0 C'est La Vie B*WITCHED
    29 26 My Heart Will Go On CELINE DION

8. De UltraTop 30 van zaterdag 30 augustus 1997

The archive shows:

10 10 Maria (Un, Dos, Tres) RICKY MARTIN
    29 21 Maria (Un, Dos, Tres) RICKY MARTIN

These should be:

10 10 Fiesta De Los Tamborileros SUNCLUB
    29 21 Maria (Un, Dos, Tres) RICKY MARTIN

9. De UltraTop 30 van zaterdag 23 augustus 1997

The archive shows:

10 18 Maria (Un, Dos, Tres) RICKY MARTIN
    21 18 Maria (Un, Dos, Tres) RICKY MARTIN

These should be:

10 16 Fiesta De Los Tamborileros SUNCLUB
    21 18 Maria (Un, Dos, Tres) RICKY MARTIN

10. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 23 augustus 1980

The archive shows:

12 18 Emotional Rescue ROLLING STONES
    29 18 Emotional Rescue ROLLING STONES

One of these is wrong.

11. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 7 januari 1978

The archive shows:

22 23 Miss Broadway BELLE EPOQUE
    23 0 Miss Broadway BELLE EPOGUE

One of these is wrong.

12. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 29 juni 1974

The archive shows:

20 18 A La Espagnola JOHN TERRA
    23 18 A La Espagnola JOHN TERRA

One of these is wrong.

13. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 16 februari 1974

The archive shows:

16 15 Rock And Roll CATS
    25 15 Rock And Roll CATS

One of these is wrong.

14. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 27 oktober 1973

The archive shows:

23 22 La Malaguena LOS ANGELES
    24 14 One Is One NICK MACKENZIE
    27 22 La Malaguena LOS ANGELES
    28 14 One Is One NICK MACKENZIE

Two of these are wrong.

15. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 25 augustus 1973

14 24 Mooi Als Rode Rozen WILLY SOMMERS
    19 24 Mooi Als Rode Rozen WILLY SOMMERS

16. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 1 september 1973

8 14 Mooi Als Rode Rozen WILLY SOMMERS
    28 19 Mooi Als Rode Rozen WILLY SOMMERS

17. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 8 september 1973

11 8 Mooi Als Rode Rozen WILLY SOMMERS
    24 28 Mooi Als Rode Rozen WILLY SOMMERS

In these three weeks the same hit appears twice. Depending what other hit it has been
    mixed up with, it may also be wrongly listed in the charts of 15 and 22 september.

18. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 17 juli 1971

The archive shows two number 26s, no number 29:

26 0 How Can You Mend A Broken Heart BEE GEES
    26 26 Puppet Man TOM JONES
    27 27 Goodbye Yesterday JIMMY CLIFF
    28 28 I Am...I Said NEIL DIAMOND

These should probably be:

26 0 How Can You Mend A Broken Heart BEE GEES
    27 26 Puppet Man TOM JONES
    28 27 Goodbye Yesterday JIMMY CLIFF
    29 28 I Am...I Said NEIL DIAMOND

19. De Radio 2 Top 30 van zaterdag 29 augustus 1970

The archive shows:

10 11 Lola THE KINKS
    24 11 Lola THE KINKS

One of these is wrong.

Just nineteen problems in nearly 2000 charts is pretty good - but if anyone can help, please do!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 04-01-08, 17:32

I have now been able to obtain independent confirmation that the amendments I set out at numbers 6, 7, 8 and 9 above are all correct, and also to ascertain the two missing positions in the chart of 26 December 1998 - number 5 above. These were:

29 19 12 PULVERTURM - NIELS VAN GOGH
    30 ---- 01 I'M YOUR ANGEL - CELINE DION & R. KELLY

I confirmed these from an excellent new archive of the first thirteen years of the Belgian Ultratop charts, which went online earlier this week at:

http://www.ultratop.be/nl/index.asp

As well as the full Ultratop charts, it seems to have the full Ultratip charts too, parts of which I don't think have ever been previously published. And there are all the album charts, yearly analyses and all the other sorts of things, similarly to the archives of other countries at http://hitparade.ch/ , http://lescharts.com/ and all the others. There's just one major irritation, though - a large black silhouette image at the top right, which inexplicably keeps sliding down and obscuring the drop-down menus or other details that I'd prefer to be able to read!!! :evil:

If anyone can resolve any of the other fourteen anomalies of the BRT charts I've noted from since 2001 or from 1970-1980, do please post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 05-01-08, 01:13

I love that new site!! I added Wallonia to my archive!

But is there a chart for Wallonia before Ultratop?

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 05-01-08, 21:48

Quote Originally Posted by bat52390
    I love that new site!! I added Wallonia to my archive!

But is there a chart for Wallonia before Ultratop?
    Now that's a good question! Wallonia has been included in the Euro Top 100 for as long as I can remember (and I have had the impression, which I will now be able to confirm or disprove from this new website, that its charts almost invariably contain similar hits to those of neighbouring France and Switzerland!) - but this wouldn't extend any further back than the 13 years covered here. And Wallonia has never been a component of the Europarade - although seven new countries have been added since Ireland in 1983, Wallonia is not among them.

I've had another look at the Ultratop book in case it reveals anything on this matter, but there's nothing obvious. Perhaps the part I quoted earlier in the thread, some months ago (!), also applies to Wallonia as well as Flanders? I find it difficult to believe that the charts were an entirely new concept in this country in 1995 - but I fear that tracking anything down from prior to Ultratop may well prove difficult or impossible. There already seems to be little or nothing easily available for larger countries such as Italy, Denmark and Spain prior to 2000, nor even for France earlier than the mid-1980's!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 05-01-08, 22:47

Between 1986 and 1994 Belgian had a national chart uniting sales of Flanders and Wallonia. I may be in the possession of these charts soon, but I don't have them yet. This list was compiled under responsibility of Sabem/Sibesa. I think it started as a top 75, and later became a top 50, until separatism took over the music industry already in 1994.

I also recall that somewhere in the 70s there used to be a Billboard Benelux magazine which also held a national Belgian chart (Top 40).

So both charts incorporated the French-speaking part of this country. I am also not aware of any Wallonia only chart before 1995 ....

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 06-01-08, 08:28

Quote Originally Posted by Arttrend
    Between 1986 and 1994 Belgian had a national chart uniting sales of Flanders and Wallonia. I may be in the possession of these charts soon, but I don't have them yet. This list was compiled under responsibility of Sabem/Sibesa. I think it started as a top 75, and later became a top 50, until separatism took over the music industry already in 1994.

I also recall that somewhere in the 70s there used to be a Billboard Benelux magazine which also held a national Belgian chart (Top 40).

So both charts incorporated the French-speaking part of this country. I am also not aware of any Wallonia only chart before 1995 ....

Are you speakin' also about albums?
    Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 06-01-08, 11:14

It was actually the opposite: a Top 50 during the 80's, then a Top 75 from 1990 on to 1994. Sibesa changed its name to IFPI Belgium in 1990. I have most of those charts for the period of late 1989 until end of 1991, and some info for 1992 as well. They were based on shipments, not on real sales over the counter. Although these charts had the advantage of being the national ones, the fact that obscure dance tracks and Flemish-speaking singles were charting so high and in such big number (especially in the early 90's) made me doubt about its accuracy. Anyway, these charts were the ones used by the compilers of the Eurochart Hot 100 for Belgium, while the Europarade used the BRT-Top 30 (as already mentioned).

I am also not aware of any Wallonia only chart before 1995
    The counterpart of the Flemish BRT-Top 30 was the Top 25 Wallonie-Bruxelles compiled and broadcast by the RTBF's radio "Frequence Wallonie" (RTBF is to Wallonia what BRT/VRT is to Flanders). I don't know when it was launched, but I discovered it in the late 80's. It may still exist today, aside the Ultratop Wallonia now regarded as the official chart. I used to listen to this chart regularly as well, but didn't take any notes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 06-01-08, 17:02

to go along w/ CZB's latest post, here's my list of the 22 countries w/ official singles charts and what archive exists for each one (book & Intenet)

USA - Billboard.com/Joel Whitburn books

Canada - http://www.webfitz.com/lyrics/Chartlst.html (1957-1974); Canadian Chart Book 1975-1996 by Nanda Lwin; Billboard.com 1997-Present

UK - www.chartstats.com

Ireland - Irishcharts.ie (Top 30 only); www.chart-track.com Top 50 2000-Present

Germany - www.chartfreaks.com (1970s-Present)

Austria - austriancharts.com

Swiss - hitparade.ch

Flanders- www.ultratop.be; BRT archive link in this thread

Wallonia - www.ultratop.be

Netherlands - dutchcharts.com

Denmark - danishcharts.com (2001-present)

Norway - norwegiancharts.com

Sweden - swedishcharts.com

Finland - finnishcharts.com (1995-Present); a Finnish chart book exists, i don't know the author or years covered

France - apparently there's a book covering pre-1980s, idk what it is; lescharts.com (1985-present)

Spain - http://afyvecharts.blogspot.com/ [thank you davidalic] (1987-Present); davidalic is usually gracious enough to share pre-1987 if he has it, when asked on this forum

Italy - Artisti in Classifica Singoli 1960-1999 by
    J.J. Spinetoli (musica e dischi); www.fimi.it (FIMI 2000-Present)

Greece - www.mad.tv* (2001-present) *very tedious to search I might add. I'm still sorting thru this one

Hungary - www.mahasz.hu (2002*-present) **apparently this is when Hungary's official singles chart began

Australia - Australian Chart Books 1940-1969 & 1970-1992 by David Kent (for pre-ARIA); australiancharts.com (ARIA Top 50); http://pandora.nla.gov.au/tep/23790?pi=23790 (ARIA Top 100 2001-present)

New Zealand - chartz.org.nz

Japan - Japanese Charts - The Archives thread on this forum OR ORICON website if you can read Japanese

As you can see, the biggest problem countries are Denmark and Greece. The rest are taken care of unless you want pre-Ultratop Wallonia data or FIMI 1997-1999 data

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 06-01-08, 17:19

I just discovered another error in the Radio 2 archive:

De UltraTop 30 van zaterdag 6 september 1997

The archive shows:

27 21 I Hate 2 Love U ZOHRA

This should be:

27 21 Magic Flight 2 FABIOLA

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 14-01-08, 17:35

It should be like this

29/08/70

24(14) Groovin with mr.bloe - MR.Bloe
    10(11) Lola - Kinks

17/07/71

Ok like above

25/08/73

19(24) Mooi als rode rozen - Willy Sommers
    14(23) One and one is one - Medicine Head

01/09/73

28(19) Mooi als rode rozen - Willy Sommers
    8(14) One and one is one - Medicine Head

08/09/73

24(28) Mooi als rode rozen - Willy Sommers
    11(8) One and one is one - Medicine Head

15/09/73

20(11) One and one is one - Medicine Head

22/09/73

27(20) One and one is one - Medicine Head

27/10/73

28(14) One is one - Nick Mckenzie
    27(22) La malaguena - Los Angeles
    24(29) 48 Crash - Suzy Quatro
    23(27) Angeline - Peter Koelewijn & His Rockets

16/02/74

16(15) Rock & roll - The Cats
    25(18) Tchip tchip - Cash & Carry

23/02/74

30(25) Tchip tchip - Cash & Carry

29/06/74

23(18) A la espagnola - John Terra
    20(19) Love epidemic - Trammps

06/07/74

25(20) Love epidemic - Trammps

07/01/78

22(23) Miss Broadway - Belle Epoque
    23(26) Black is black - Belle Epoque

23/08/80

29(18) Emotional rescue - Rolling Stones
    12(14) It's a real good feeling - Peter Kent(out of Top30 on 30/08/80)

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 14-01-08, 17:43

This are some answers and it is in 3 parts but they are correct,because i have the TOP30 archive from the very beginning and i have checked this answers twice.It's with pleasure that i see that there are people who are intressed to know about the Belgium archives.If i can't help with other information,please ask.

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 14-01-08, 18:03

It's true that for the rest of Europe the Spanish and France charts are difficult to find,but i must say that i have the Spanish book 'Solo Exitos 1959-2002' and the France book 'Hit Parades 1950-1998'.That means for Spain that i can give every chart position of that period and every Album position from 1970 on.The book of the France charts is a book that gives every month the charts from 1956 on,these are the charts who continue in the '1984 Les Charts Francais'like mention above.There is also a link on the pc that calls 'Infodisc France'where you can see a lot of information from before 1985.This and les charts francais are different charts.Sorry for my broken English,but i hope that everyone can understand it a little bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-01-08, 15:26

Quote Originally Posted by bat52390
    This is not the official singleschart, only a radiochart. The official singles- and albumcharts, and others, are from RPM. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/rpm/ ... lrcijlch56

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-01-08, 15:41

Since some weeks ago that there are archives in:

http://www.ultratop.be/fr/index.asp (Wallonie)

http://www.ultratop.be/nl/index.asp (Flandres)

Did you know that Celine's D'eux was #1 in Wallonie for 37 weeks ?
    CELINE DION - THE WORLD'S BIGGEST SELLING ARTIST OF THE LAST 20 YEARS

www.celinedioncharts.com

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 22-01-08, 12:05

Quote Originally Posted by francisplaiy
    This are some answers and it is in 3 parts but they are correct,because i have the TOP30 archive from the very beginning and i have checked this answers twice.It's with pleasure that i see that there are people who are intressed to know about the Belgium archives.If i can't help with other information,please ask.
    Is it possible to request Madonna's official Belgian chart peaks from the pre-Ultratop era?

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 22-01-08, 17:58

Quote Originally Posted by Danny86
    Is it possible to request Madonna's official Belgian chart peaks from the pre-Ultratop era?
    Holiday 26 18 XX 24 22 27 16 8 30 28

Like A Virgin 16 12 8 9 5 5 5 2 11 12 18

Material Girl 20 13 4 4 3 4 9 24

Angel 27 18 20 XX 30

Crazy For You 22 17 21 XX 13 28

Into The Groove 20 12 7 3 2 1 1 1 1 3 6 13 20 27 28 30

Dress You Up 18 12 4 5 4 4 3 4 7 14 17 28 27 28 28

Gambler 17 12 10 30 28 29 15 10 10 16 20

Borderline 17 21 8 5 4 4 8 5 8 25

Live To Tell 8 5 4 5 6 8 7 11 17 27

Papa Don't Preach 18 4 4 2 2 1 1 2 2 3 6 9

True Blue 16 4 3 4 3 4 4 5 13 27