User Tag List

Thread: Sexcassettes - AKA the return of Cathy Dennis!!

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 07-12-07, 19:42

from Popjustice (and Music Week)...

Here's something you may or may not have been expecting to read on a Friday morning in 2007: Cathy Dennis is back next year with a new album.

Music Week have the story and from that we can reveal (nick) the following:

» The artist name will be Sexcassettes.

» There will be an album and live performances.

» She's been co-writing and producing with Dr Luke, Greg Kurstin and Mark Ronson. That's the sort of list of collaborators you'd usually expect to feature '...and Cathy Dennis', although in this case Cathy Dennis actually IS Cathy Dennis, which is both confusing and straightforward.

» Notes Cathy: “I had an idea of starting a project for me to record a few new songs where I sing. Now it is turning into something more than that, as I have an album’s worth of material to record and take on tour.”

» There's no record label yet because Simon Fuller wants it to be an organic 'n' creative process (ie get the whole thing finished before a load of major label A&Rs start 'sticking their oars in'.)

» Fuller also notes that "it’s very quirky pop music, with a real contemporary guitar feeling".

» We hope this isn't going to be another Wigwam.

It's true that for every 'Toxic', 'Sweet Dreams My LA Ex' and 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' there's been a ropey S Club Juniors album track, a dodgy A*Teens effort or a Gareth Gates fiasco, but we'd expect the quality control on this project to be fairly high.

and what do I think?

ABOUT. BLOODY. TIME!!

the fact that she's workin with Mark Ronson excites me and makes me think it won't turn out to be a dissapoint

let's hope she's still HOT
    "Free me, FreE.M.I!" - sing it Joss!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 07-12-07, 19:46

It's going to be bloody amazing! Cathy Dennis' music is just essential, period. She should be getting the credit for reviving almost half of our favorite pop-tart's careers here.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 08-12-07, 00:58

The A*Teens effort was NOT dodgy.

Heartbreak Lullaby was a fantastic song.

Why can't I laugh?
    Why must I cry?
    Every time we say goodbye.
    Why does it rain?
    Here in my heart.
    Every day that we're apart.
    Why can't it be?
    Just you and me.
    What will it take to make you see?
    These are the words to my heartbreak lullaby

This is why postjustice annoys me, they act like because they're pop experts they know everything but they're completely biased at times. I mean, what's their point that every song she writes isnit a big hit? Who exactly are the songwriters out there do write hit after hit?

Anyways this should be awesome. Cathy has written some amazing songs.
    Heartbreak Lullaby
    Can't Get You Out Of My Head
    Catch You
    Toxic

Sexcassettes? Love it.
    Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 08-12-07, 18:28

Quote Originally Posted by Skelofect
    The A*Teens effort was NOT dodgy.

Heartbreak Lullaby was a fantastic song.

Why can't I laugh?
    Why must I cry?
    Every time we say goodbye.
    Why does it rain?
    Here in my heart.
    Every day that we're apart.
    Why can't it be?
    Just you and me.
    What will it take to make you see?
    These are the words to my heartbreak lullaby

This is why postjustice annoys me, they act like because they're pop experts they know everything but they're completely biased at times. I mean, what's their point that every song she writes isnit a big hit? Who exactly are the songwriters out there do write hit after hit?

Anyways this should be awesome. Cathy has written some amazing songs.
    Heartbreak Lullaby
    Can't Get You Out Of My Head
    Catch You
    Toxic

Sexcassettes? Love it.
    sounds pretty dodgy to me!
    i'd describe it as 'awful' actually, its like a Steps b-side, so i totally agree with Popjustice!

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 08-12-07, 20:57

at Steps b-side.

That is actually so innacurate it's hilarous.

If you think it's awful fair enough but none of their songs sound like Steps. And they sung live and danced during most of their performances. I hate Popjustice roping them in with groups like S Club Juniors and Steps when they're more on par with Girls Aloud for consitent, strong melodies and live vocals.

A*teens are amazing...and all 4 of them are releasing poptastic solo stuff in different genres. Sweet Dreams by Rachel Stevens totally rips off Let Your Heart Do All The Talking, so while I love Cathy Dennis A*Teens did do it first.

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 08-12-07, 21:32

Quote Originally Posted by Skelofect

at Steps b-side.

That is actually so innacurate it's hilarous.

If you think it's awful fair enough but none of their songs sound like Steps. And they sung live and danced during most of their performances. I hate Popjustice roping them in with groups like S Club Juniors and Steps when they're more on par with Girls Aloud for consitent, strong melodies and live vocals.

A*teens are amazing...and all 4 of them are releasing poptastic solo stuff in different genres. Sweet Dreams by Rachel Stevens totally rips off Let Your Heart Do All The Talking, so while I love Cathy Dennis A*Teens did do it first.
    Dunno if you've heard of the word but it's called 'opinion'?! And that's mine. As i'm sure many would agree with me and also many won't like yourself which is the whole point of discussion...
    So to call my point 'innacurate' is innacurate itself as its not actually 'fact' that A*Teens were 'amazing'. Far from it...

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 08-12-07, 22:15

If you dont like the song, like I said 'fair enough' but that song is not being lowered to be called a Steps b-side.

Like I pointed out Popjustice would be first in line to claim Sweet Dreams awas an amazing piece of pop when because they don't know A*Teens music, they're calling it dodgy.

It was written by top songwriter Cathy Dennis and remixed by top remixer Ray Hedges...so, I mean...what else do they expect?

If it is dodgy it's because it was the only single they released with a UK writer & not their typical style. The fact they were big all over the World, sang live, wrote some of their own songs, had a steady career of hit singles coming from what they started as...is amazing. So Popjustice can blow it out their biased-we're-so-right arses.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-12-07, 00:23

How dare the bastards insult S Club Juniors. All of their singles were superb. This is destined to be good though
    You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-12-07, 05:20

Any pop music web-site is meant to be totally biased. If it was devoid of any critique, it would be another mindless fan site. Having said this, i am very excited to hear about Cathy's return to her roots as a solo artist. I am actually a big fan of her later material, I love West End Pad and Am I The Kinda Girl?, which I discovered after purchasing her greatest hits album.

Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YOU cant blame nobody but YOU