Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaliyah

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Sat February 7th, 2009, 22:01

Quote Originally Posted by spc08
    Same here Blizzy, '98-'02 was the best of Aaliyah. Are You That Somebody, Try Again, More Than A Woman, We Need A Resolution,Rock Da Boat, I Care 4 U, One in a Million. Just some of the tracks that came out during that time. Is definitely the best of Aaliyah and I would say her last studio album "Aalyiah" was her best album.
    aree with you.
    You owe it to yourself. Set the world on fire.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Sat February 7th, 2009, 22:04

I absolutely agree with most people here in that I think that "Aaliyah" was the pinnacle of the material that she had released thus far. I definitely believe that had she not so suddenly and tragically passed away, she would have gone on to eclipse some of the acts around at the moment. "I Can Be" is an absolutely stunning track in my opinion and one of my favs, along with the fantastic "Rock Da Boat".
    Pop Ate My Heart

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Sun February 8th, 2009, 01:12

I love Aaliyah's progression

Age Ain't Nuthin But A Number:
    Smooth R&B dance with R. Kelly - (Back And Forth, At Your Best remake)

One In A Million: She hooked up with Missy and Timbaland, Playa, and so on. She created a digital r&b sound, which was the prelude to Ginuwine and Destiny's Child "Bills."

Aaliyah: My favorite and a masterpiece.
    I ran to buy this cd. Her songs got deeper: Never No More - domestic abuse, More Than A Woman, I Refuse, progressive rock infused What If, beautiful ballad It's Whatever

Soundtracks Are You That Somebody, Try Again, I Don't Wanna, Journey To The Past

I Care For You Miss U, Erica Kane, Don't Know What To Tell You

by » Sat October 9th, 2010, 09:13

like Michael Jackson, i wonder what her music would be like today, if she was still alive.

She was starting that super-SUPA star status, cause she came with hit after hit.
    Music should make you feel something, not just have you in awe of their singing abilities.[/

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

by » Fri November 12th, 2010, 04:39

Lately she has been my favorite artist. She was SO amazing! I love how she came across in interviews, how dope her dancing was, her beauty, and her voice. She had the entire package. It still makes me so sad thinking about how she died. Aaliyah & Timbaland were the perfect duo. Everything they did together was fresh and edgy.
    The Queen. Period.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Fri November 19th, 2010, 21:54

^^ I agree with the whole post! Altough my favourite songs with Aaliyah are only singles, her discography is really impressive!

1. We Need A Resolution
    2. Miss You
    3. Try Again
    4. More Than A Woman
    5. Rock The Boat
    Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
    and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Sat January 1st, 2011, 17:20

Listen to this mash-up!!!

Aaliyah - We Need A Resolution (Ciara - Go Girl Remix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyzxyddbagY

I'm obsessed with it!
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Wed January 26th, 2011, 02:48

Quote Originally Posted by Vindrag
    ^^ I agree with the whole post! Altough my favourite songs with Aaliyah are only singles, her discography is really impressive!

1. We Need A Resolution
    2. Miss You
    3. Try Again
    4. More Than A Woman
    5. Rock The Boat
    These songs have been so intense during almost 2 years now, so it does take a while to go from one Aaliyah song to the next one. But I can now add It's Whatever to that list of songs!

She sounds so comfortable, but not self-conscious.
    She never oversings, great songwriting!
    I love it!
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Wed January 26th, 2011, 02:59

Yeah definitely Aaliyah was getting better with every album. "Age Ain't Nuthin' But A Number" was hits+filler, "One In A Million" was far more cohesive as a whole but it had its fair share of filler and I think she delivered her best and most complete work with "Aaliyah". Which makes her passing even more tragic. On the other hand her passing gave the opportunity to people to appreciate her music, the sad thing is that "Aaliyah" was completely slept on before her death, so no I don't think she would have been huge if she was alive today, frankly none of the '90s R&B divas are although all of them are still releasing good material

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Wed January 26th, 2011, 03:07

And her passing might've also created an exxagerated picture of her music, because the emotional level rises alot due to such a terrible "accident". I'm not sure, I have not given Aaliyah's albums that proper listen yet, but I hear songs from left and right now and then, it's quite obvious that "Aaliyah" was her most creative album, and that it contained alot of substance. As if the sound was unfamiliar, but still sounded contemporary at that time?

Sad to hear it was slept on before her death!

One thing is for sure, she definitely knew how to control her singing! It's always very pure, confident and humble - and most of all her voice expresses alot!

(But I wonder if this is also a result of her as an "angel", that's passed away?)
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Wed January 26th, 2011, 03:28

Yeah possibly. I was a big fan of R&B/pop in the '90s (I'm not anymore) and I knew Aaliyah's hits but "Aaliyah" was the first album I purchased by her (I bought it before her passing). After she died I immediately bought the other two and I have to say I wasn't impressed (although "One In A Million" is a good album). Unlike almost all other '90s R&B divas Aaliyah reached her quality peak in the '00s.

Yeah she definitely could sing, then again in the '90s all R&B divas could. Not hating but I find Aaliyah's use of her more limited voice a much more pleasant experience than, say, Beyonce's constant acrobatics or Rihanna's simply acceptable voice. The difference in singing quality from the '90s to the '00s is simply huge

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

by » Wed January 26th, 2011, 08:36

I was the biggest Aaliyah fan around late 1999, when she released "Are You That Somebody?" She was so beautiful and the Timbaland sound was so fresh at that time. Even her outfits at that time were really good, she has a classy image too.

Manager
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

by » Sat February 26th, 2011, 19:35

This year will mark Aaliyah's 10th death anniversary. :(

by » Sun February 27th, 2011, 04:39

Quote Originally Posted by Baditude
    God, everytime someone dies they're suddenly the greatest thing ever. I agree she had great material and was very talented. She wasn't even that big of a superstar. She was never bigger than Beyonce or Rihanna. Even in her prime.
    Omg I thought I was the same one who felt like this lol.
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

by » Sun February 27th, 2011, 04:58

Quote Originally Posted by Baditude
    Her prime was her album Aaliyah. You never know when they've reached their prime until they stop releasing albums. What if her material just all of a sudden was crap after Aaliyah? Alanis Morissette reached her prime critically and commerciallly with her 3rd album "Jagged Little Pill". So why couldn't Aaliyah have reached her prime with her 3rd album.
    Obviously, because you can't gauge her peak and relevance since she already passed away! There's obviously no new material to compare the Aaliyah album to afterwards!

by » Sun February 27th, 2011, 05:03

But even then she wasn't THAT big. She was only big in the r'n'b market..not a global star.

I don'teven think she has a numbber 1 song?
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

by » Sun February 27th, 2011, 05:20

She wasn't a global superstar, but she was just on her way to becoming a big star at that time. In 2000, she had her biggest hit "Try Again" which went to #1 in the Hot 100. During that time, she started getting recognized in the Grammys by getting nominations for "Are You That Somebody?" and "Try Again". She was also on her way to break out in movies like Romeo Must Die, The Queen of the Damned and The Matrix sequels. She even won Best Female Video in the 2000 MTV Video Music Awards, wherein she beat out bigger stars like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Macy Gray and Toni Braxton.

During those years up until her death (1999-2001), it's safe to say that she was already on her way to becoming a big artist and actress.

by » Sun February 27th, 2011, 08:06

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack
    She wasn't a global superstar, but she was just on her way to becoming a big star at that time. In 2000, she had her biggest hit "Try Again" which went to #1 in the Hot 100. During that time, she started getting recognized in the Grammys by getting nominations for "Are You That Somebody?" and "Try Again". She was also on her way to break out in movies like Romeo Must Die, The Queen of the Damned and The Matrix sequels. She even won Best Female Video in the 2000 MTV Video Music Awards, wherein she beat out bigger stars like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Macy Gray and Toni Braxton.

During those years up until her death (1999-2001), it's safe to say that she was already on her way to becoming a big artist and actress.
    If Ciara has died in 2007 you could have said said the same thing... (minus acting)
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

by » Sun February 27th, 2011, 11:12

I would have said that Ciara's biggest era was the first era.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed April 13th, 2011, 22:18

Quote Originally Posted by gboichris
    People like you sicken me if Aaliyah was here today Beyonce and Rihanna would be in the shadows. You truly don't know nothing.And her album sales are greater than both of them.
    Beyoncé was already owning the charts as a part of Destiny's Child whilst Aaliyah was still alive. They could co-exist perfectly fine. What the previous poster said, is actually try.
    no shade, no hate

by » Tue April 19th, 2011, 16:14

Aaliyah,Monica,Brandy

my idols when i was a child.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue April 19th, 2011, 16:19

1999-2001 ? you must be kidding me

Aaliyahs One in a million and Aaliyah album are one of the best r&b albums ever ! Thats what critics say !

Personally I would rate it the best album.

She was big with Are you that somebody and very know in the r&b scene with smashes like If your girl only knew & 4 Page Letter. Those are classics

And Ciara was never big like Aaliyah, second is still a role model for several people I know.

There are stars which were made to stars and then theres Aaliyah where you can almost catch the sweetness !
    Frank Ocean

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

by » Tue April 19th, 2011, 16:50

Quote Originally Posted by Star
    10 years this year
    It crossed my mind too! Times flies!!! :(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Wed August 3rd, 2011, 14:53

Are Blackground really doing nothing for the 10 year anniversary? I thought that they were bringing out one final package for this?