Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaliyah

by Wed August 3rd, 2011, 21:50

geeez people I seriously don't get all the talk, if Aaliyah was still alive, Beyonce, Ciara or Rihanna would be nowhere
    bullshit
    as somebody said Beyonce was already knows as Destiny's Child, although her style is different that Aaliyah's so I don't understand why it wouldn't be enough room for them both, the same for Rihanna

as for Ciara, it was all about the tomboy style, BabyGirl wasn't the first and the last person who dressed like that, so why are people still thinking CiCi copied her with that? all the singles from Goodies sounded so different than anything Aaliyah done, Promise is probably the only CiCi song which can be similar to Aaliyah's work (Promise nad One in a milion mush up is amazing ) but I think the song is more Prince-inspired

as I freakin love Ciara, Aaliyah was just...;( the smooth voice, the beauty everything...

the problem with Aaliyah was that she was just getting started! nobody can tell if she could be a super star or not, seriously you just can't tell!

'Aaliyah' album is a masterpiece, still sounds so fresh, all the singles were amazing, her & Timbo & Missy would continue to make fantastic music together, they were the future of modern r&b, then she died and Timbo lost all his amazing flow and inspiration

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

by Thu August 4th, 2011, 23:51

She's getting a BET special later this month.
    The Queen. Period.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri August 5th, 2011, 14:49

Quote Originally Posted by therealestMC
    She's getting a BET special later this month.
    Yayyy
    Frank Ocean

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri August 5th, 2011, 14:50

Quote Originally Posted by G00dies
    geeez people I seriously don't get all the talk, if Aaliyah was still alive, Beyonce, Ciara or Rihanna would be nowhere
    bullshit
    as somebody said Beyonce was already knows as Destiny's Child, although her style is different that Aaliyah's so I don't understand why it wouldn't be enough room for them both, the same for Rihanna

as for Ciara, it was all about the tomboy style, BabyGirl wasn't the first and the last person who dressed like that, so why are people still thinking CiCi copied her with that? all the singles from Goodies sounded so different than anything Aaliyah done, Promise is probably the only CiCi song which can be similar to Aaliyah's work (Promise nad One in a milion mush up is amazing ) but I think the song is more Prince-inspired

as I freakin love Ciara, Aaliyah was just...;( the smooth voice, the beauty everything...

the problem with Aaliyah was that she was just getting started! nobody can tell if she could be a super star or not, seriously you just can't tell!

'Aaliyah' album is a masterpiece, still sounds so fresh, all the singles were amazing, her & Timbo & Missy would continue to make fantastic music together, they were the future of modern r&b, then she died and Timbo lost all his amazing flow and inspiration
    I understand what you try to say , I dont see the similarities between Cici and Aaliyah too
    I love both thats all I know

sorry if it disturbs you but I bet she would have been a superstar !
    Frank Ocean

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri August 5th, 2011, 15:03

They should be doing a special release this month :-?

by Fri August 5th, 2011, 22:12

Quote Originally Posted by Valentino
    sorry if it disturbs you but I bet she would have been a superstar !
    well the 'you can't tell' thing was referring to people overall!

I, as a BIG fan, knew that she was someone special, her unique voice and sound made her stand out
    none of the current pop/r&b singers haven't reach the epicness of One in a million or Rock the boat

so she was, she is and she will be always a superstar, icon and legend for me

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by Mon August 8th, 2011, 08:02

Quote Originally Posted by G00dies

I agree!!!

And let's not forget that she has the makings of an A-list actress...

1. Romeo Must Die (decent debut but nothing really spectacular)
    2. Queen of the Damned (great performance and quality film)
    3. Matrix Trilogy (would have catapulted her to even bigger films in the future)

Manager
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

by Thu August 11th, 2011, 09:30

MTV played the past winners for Best Female on VMA and Aaliyah's Try Again was played. Obviously, it won the VMA Best Female Video Award. And I felt sad, thinking it will be her 10th death anniversary this coming 25th.

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by Thu August 11th, 2011, 10:24

I remember feeling so devastated when she passed away. I became a huge fan since "Journey to the Past", became a 'stan' with "Are You That Somebody", "Try Again", and "Back in One Piece", and was enjoying her then-new song "We Need a Resolution".. :-?

Time flies by so fast, I can't believe it's been 10 years this month.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu August 25th, 2011, 00:49

10 years ago today :( R.I.P. Aaliyah
    Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by Thu August 25th, 2011, 04:45

Quote Originally Posted by RockTheBoat
    R.I.P. Aaliyah

by Thu August 25th, 2011, 08:58

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheBoat
    R.I.P. Aaliyah

I hate it when people say she had just gotten started/ It's innacurate. She had 3 albums out. Her last album was the one that positioned her at pretty much the top of commercial R n B. She had movies coming out/ working.

It was the cookie cutter trajectory to stardom cut short.

The comparisons to other artists bit is hard to question. Beyonce and Aaliyah were worlds apart in terms of style and musical output so to say they both wouldn't exist is ridiculous.

Ciara on the other hand I see a lot of similarities with. I love Cici and own all her albums but I would be lying if I didn't start getting interested in her as a replacement for Aaliyah. I still think Aaliyah's last album is more current and fresh sounding than anything Ciara has released as I think although Aaliyah didn't have the strongest voice, she utilises it as an asset on songs where as Ciara's voice is usually an addition to the production.

It would have been interesting to see the musical landscape if Aaliyah was still alive because undoubtedly it would be different.

:(
    "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Manager
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Thu August 25th, 2011, 09:01

Still Love her. One of my favourites.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by Thu August 25th, 2011, 09:10

I think Aaliyah's voice is often unappreciated, she had amazing control and depth to her vocals. Yes she had a an amazing head light head voice but she could belt also and live performances showed how rich her voice was. I wish there was more unreleased material from her that was good enough for another album.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Thu August 25th, 2011, 10:51

Quote Originally Posted by naughtynae
    I think Aaliyah's voice is often unappreciated, she had amazing control and depth to her vocals. Yes she had a an amazing head light head voice but she could belt also and live performances showed how rich her voice was. I wish there was more unreleased material from her that was good enough for another album.
    I agree! People say she couldnt sing but she actually could, just because she isnt a high belter doesnt mean she couldnt sing.

WOW 10 years have fLOWN!! R.I.P Aaliyah. I Miss You :(
    R.I.P Aaliyah 1979-2001

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu August 25th, 2011, 10:57

Quote Originally Posted by R_D
    I agree! People say she couldnt sing but she actually could, just because she is a high belter doesnt mean she couldnt sing.

OMG thatsexactly what I think about her voice ! I think she has a unique sound, and really angelic!
    I miss Babygirl so much, all my love tho her family and friends, R.I.P Babygirl you`re truly one in a million !!!
    Frank Ocean

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Thu August 25th, 2011, 11:09

Quote Originally Posted by Valentino
    Quote Originally Posted by R_D
    I agree! People say she couldnt sing but she actually could, just because she is a high belter doesnt mean she couldnt sing.

OMG thatsexactly what I think about her voice ! I think she has a unique sound, and really angelic!
    I miss Babygirl so much, all my love tho her family and friends, R.I.P Babygirl you`re truly one in a million !!!
    Oops it was suppose to say "isnt a high belter" lol but yes her Voice voice so unique and deffinetly angelic, you can see in her performances she used to hold back alot.
    R.I.P Aaliyah 1979-2001

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu August 25th, 2011, 12:11

I posted this in the "R.I.P. Aaliyah" thread and bumped it in the Urban section, but I'll post it in here since the conversation is more active:

10 years today. It really is proof that time flies. I still remember the moment I find out about her death, back in the day when I didn't have the internet and found out over teletext. Needless to say, despite not being a huge fan like others would be, I was gutted and devastated that the worst lost such a special talent and at such a young age. She really did have it all going from her, and it just ended so tragically.

R.I.P. Aaliyah. Not a year has gone by that you weren't thought about. Hopefully you're in a better place for leaving the world so prematurely.
    I can't believe that it's 10 years already. It's unbelievable, really.

'Try Again' still sounds as fresh as ever.
    LONG LIVE GIRLS ALOUD

by Thu August 25th, 2011, 14:25

<!!!!>
    I hate when people say she can't sing, WHAT THE F*CK
    her voice was so unique, so smooth, she sounded like no one else

R.I.P Babygirl :(

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu August 25th, 2011, 20:47

10 years and your still slaying me!

RIP Babygirl!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu August 25th, 2011, 21:47

She's still dearly missed! R.I.P. babygirl!

Legend
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by Thu August 25th, 2011, 21:50

Can't believe it's been 10 years! I remember hearing the news like it was yesterday. It makes me sad when I think of that very moment.

RIP Babygirl, you're truly missed but your music still lives on.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)