Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Precious

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu February 5th, 2009, 14:26

Push: Based on a Novel by Sapphire is an upcoming film about an African-American teenaged girl living in Harlem, which first showed at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2009.

Push stars newcomer Gabourey Sidibe as a teenager named Precious Jones, Mo'Nique as her mother, and Paula Patton as her teacher.[3] Also appearing are Lenny Kravitz as a nurse and Mariah Carey as a social worker.

The film is based on the novel Push by Sapphire.

The film is directed by Lee Daniels and co-produced by Daniels' company, Lee Daniels Entertainment and Smokewood Entertainment Group, which is owned by Sarah Siegel-Magness and Gary Magness; the two production companies also collaborated on Tennessee.

Push: Based On A Novel by Sapphire won two awards at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival. In the Dramatic category, the film won both the Grand Jury Prize and the Audience Award.[6] The film was picked up for distribution by Lionsgate and will also receive promotional assistance through Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Productions and Tyler Perry's 34th Street Films.

The theme song titled "Push" was written and produced by Robin Thicke AKA Paula Patton's husband.

With sheer audacity and utter authenticity, director Lee Daniels tackles Push: Based on the Novel by Sapphire and creates an unforgettable film that sets a new standard for cinema of its kind. Precious Jones (Gabourey Sidibe) is a high-school girl with nothing working in her favor. She is pregnant with her father’s child—for the second time. She can’t read or write, and her schoolmates tease her for being fat. Her home life is a horror, ruled by a mother (Mo’Nique) who keeps her imprisoned both emotionally and physically. Precious’s instincts tell her one thing: if she’s ever going to break from the chains of ignorance, she will have to dig deeply into her own resources.Don’t be misled—Push is not a film wallowing in the stillness of depression; instead, it vibrates with the kind of energy derived only from anger and hope. The entire cast are amazing; they carry out a firestorm of raw emotion. Daniels has drawn from them inimitable performances that will rivet you to your seat and leave you too shocked to breathe. If you passed Precious on the street, you probably wouldn’t notice her. But when her story is revealed, as Daniels does in this courageous film, you are left with an indelible image of a young woman who—with creativity, humor, and ferocity—finds the strength to turn her life around.

Recipient of the Grand Jury Prize: U.S. Dramatic, the Audience Award presented by Honda: U.S. Dramatic, and A Special Jury Prize for Acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mJFU4s7Q1s

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu February 5th, 2009, 14:39

Variety review

An urban nightmare with a surfeit of soul, “Push: Based on a Novel by Sapphire” is like a diamond -- clear, bright, but oh so hard. To simply call it harrowing or unsparing doesn’t quite cut it; “Push” is also courageous and uncompromising, a shaken cocktail of debasement and elation, despair and hope. Everyone involved deserves credit for creating a movie so dangerous, problematic and ultimately elevating. Marketing will be a problem because the shorthand description is so unpalatable. But this is, for all its scorched-earth emotion, a film to be loved.
    Adapted by Damien Paul from the work by one-time Harlem teacher and poet Sapphire, “Push” is the story of Claireece “Precious” Jones (newcomer Gabourey “Gabby” Sidibe), a character who might have sprung from the collective brain of Charles Dickens, Toni Morrison and whoever carved the heads on Easter Island. With a jutting jaw and barely visible eyes, Claireece’s face is a monument to the racial crimes of the past 400 years (that this miserable child of 16 can look in the mirror and fantasize seeing a blonde white girl is pungent shorthand for a raft of evils).

Mute and mountainous, a stolid outsider who can barely read, Claireece is pregnant -- again -- by her father and on the verge of being kicked out of school. She’s also cruelly oppressed by her mother, Mary (Mo’Nique), whose daily routine consists of watching daytime TV, smoking cigarettes and treating her daughter like a slave (any historical parallels are not an accident). The situation is so dire that you almost have to laugh -- the way you might laugh, nervously, during the darkest moments of a horror movie.

“Push” is a horror movie, of course, and Mary is a monster, whose one glimmer of humanity -- which Mo’Nique, who is utterly brilliant, reveals in a tour de force soliloquy at the finale -- only makes her more horrible.

Second-time helmer Daniels (“Shadowboxer”) demonstrates a remarkable, balletic ability to juggle emotional extremes. Claireece has her fantasies, and their visualizations -- of the girl as satin-clad pop star, movie star or supermodel -- work as relief valves. They’re never funny, but they do humanize a character who has been reduced, by those who are supposed to love her, to a piece of meat, and who presents herself to the world as a very different, far less attractive creature than the Claireece we hear in voiceover.

Daniels never allows the film, however gothic and nightmarish, to lose its footing in the real world, and that world includes a certain amount of hope: Despite her mother’s hostility, Claireece enrolls in an alternative school where a teacher named Blu Rain (Paula Patton) prepares young women for their GEDs. Patton is terrific, beautiful but carrying the weight of the world in her eyes. And Claireece’s classmates, with their street-smart banter, give the film some needed levity.

Among the many delightful surprises in the film is Mariah Carey, who is pitch-perfect as a welfare counselor and serves as this demi-tragedy’s Greek chorus. It’s possible that many viewers won’t recognize her until the final credits, but like so many things about “Push,” the performance is disarming.

Production values are tops.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 15th, 2009, 03:11

I saw the trailer for it...it immediately drew me in, I can't believe how great it looks. I think this will be my favorite movie of the year...maybe even all-time if it pulls it off Never been this excited for a movie before!

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 15th, 2009, 03:30

I really want to see this movie. I have my popcorn and box of tissues ready! I know this is gonna be good.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 15th, 2009, 10:36

^ Finally people comment lol was getting lonely in here!

PRECIOUS ** 1/2 out of 4
    By Michael Giltz

This film by director Lee Daniels received a ton of acclaim at Sundance, so I'm in the minority for not being blown away by it. However, I do think this story of a large teenage girl pregnant with her second child (both fathered by her biological dad) and finding a ray of hope in an alternative school is a serious leap forward by Daniels. It captures the pugnacious, dreaming, hopeful tone of the book by Sapphire very well and contains a clutch of good performances, including the lead (Gabourey Sidibe), Mariah Carey (!) and especially Mo'Nique as Precious's hateful mother. She's so good it's possible she'll even get an Oscar nomination. I can't wait to see the next film by Daniels. It's called Tennessee and it stars Carey. So there.
    Source: Huffington Post

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri May 15th, 2009, 11:23

the trailer blew me away!
    can't wait to see it.. yet I'm kinda afraid it would be too sad! I tend to get emo a few days afterwards
    I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(?)_/¯

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu September 10th, 2009, 15:33

I just saw the Trailer for this!

In one word: WOW!!

This looks sooo good!!I was nearly in tears at the trailer.I had to watch it twice to spot Mariah Carey

Cant wait to see this!

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri September 11th, 2009, 13:58

Mo'Nique and Abby Sidourne FTW at the 2010 Oscars.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri September 11th, 2009, 14:54

Wow! This should be great. Mariah looks older but it seems as if she's a better actress. Monique has always been a good actress but I'm so happy she's doing more serious roles.

Paula Patton is gonna be overshadowed in this movie by Monique and Gabourey, deservingly.
    I'm gonna do you like drugs tonight...

Manager
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri September 11th, 2009, 15:08

Has anyone else read the book?

I loved the trailer so much I bought the book. It seems like they've changed a few things in the film which I'm not a fan of, but it should still be good.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed September 23rd, 2009, 17:44

TORONTO (Reuters) – "Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire" won the top award at the Toronto International Film Festival Saturday, giving the Oprah Winfrey-produced film some early momentum heading into Oscar awards season.

The film, a gritty tale of the abuse and redemption of a teenage girl in Harlem, captured the festival's People's Choice award, which is voted on by filmgoers. Last year it went to best picture Oscar winner "Slumdog Millionaire."

Critics have roundly praised "Precious" since its debut at the Sundance Film Festival in January, and audiences in Toronto warmly received the film, which is directed by Lee Daniels and will hit theaters in November.

"I made this film for every person out there who ever looked in the mirror and felt unsure about the person looking back," Daniels, who is traveling in Spain, said in a statement read out at an awards reception in Toronto.

In addition to "Slumdog Millionaire," past winners of the award that have gone on to win the best picture Oscar include "American Beauty"

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed September 23rd, 2009, 19:19

I don't usually anticipate many films, but I seriously can't wait to see this.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun November 1st, 2009, 03:26

BUMP THIS! It's almost out! I can't decide whether to bring someone. I know I'm going to cry and I don't like crying in front of people, but I don't want to see it alone either. Hmmmm...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun November 8th, 2009, 10:35

I read it might shock you more than it would make you teary..

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun November 8th, 2009, 15:14

I really want to see this!

Manager
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon November 9th, 2009, 18:23

Precious Stuns With $100K Weekend Average

Lee Daniels' "Precious: Based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire" has exceeded even the highest of expectations in its opening weekend, according to estimates provided by Rentrak earlier today. The film - which has been the source of much anticipation and buzz since its Sundance debut in January - grossed a stunning $1,800,000 from just 18 theaters over the weekend, averaging an essentially unheard of $100,000. That gives it the third best live action per-theater-average of all time, surpassed only by 2006's "Dreamgirls" and 2005's "Brokeback Mountain." However, those two films had opened on 3 and 5 theaters respectively. "Precious"'s wide-by-comparison 18 theaters make it all the more impressive.

"Precious" was distributed by Lionsgate, who had acquired the film shortly after Sundance in a heated bidding war. The deal, brokered by Cinetic, was said to be worth $5.5 million, and weaved in the support of both Oprah Winfrey and Tyler Perry, who came on board as executive producers. The plan obviously seems to have worked so far, with theaters in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Atlanta reporting large crowds and sell out shows for "Precious." The film grossed $587,859 on Friday, and then rose to $699,514 on Saturday (averaging $38,800 per theater on that day alone), and was estimated to take in an additional $512,627 today.

The numbers countered the early expectations that director Lee Daniels says he had for the movie. "It's still a bit premature as all the weekend numbers aren't in yet," Daniels told indieWIRE on Saturday, just as the film passed the $1 million mark. "Remember, I thought 'Push/Precious' was going straight to DVD and I was cool with that. So, when I got this info I was slayed."

"Precious" will expand considerably this Friday, November 13th, both within the markets it debuted in and in the Philadelphia, Dallas, Washington, San Francisco, and Houston areas.

Manager
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon November 9th, 2009, 18:24

Also Mariah has been getting rave reviews

New York Magazine: The most offbeat touch is a social worker played by Mariah Carey. She's a tad too goody-goody, but her toasty, caressing voice is a gift beside Sidibe's mush-mouthed monosyllables.

Entertainment Weekly: Dave Karger: Best Supporting Actress, Mariah Carey: Once people get past the strange concept of Carey as an Oscar contender, they won't be able to deny the power of her few scenes as a social worker. If you ask me, she more than deserves to be in this race.

Salon: And Mariah Carey, in a superb, tough little performance, plays a welfare worker, Mrs. Weiss, who tugs like a terrier to get Precious to open up. Carey's approach to the character is both hard-nosed and delicate: She understands the idea of intimidation as an act of kindness.

Entertainment Weekly Peter Travers: "Other shocking things about this - Mariah Carey, totally de-glammed playing the social worker for Precious, who is amazing! How did she do this? That whole Glitter fiasco, she can act now."

New Yorker: Sitting opposite during this tempest is a social worker, Mrs. Weiss (Mariah Carey). Hold on: a stern, song-free, compassionate piece of acting from Mariah Carey? That sounds like one of Precious's fantasies, but it's for real.

Slate: All the Each One Teach One girls are deftly sketched and well-cast, as is an exasperated social worker played with surprising finesse by Mariah Carey.

Roger Ebert: Sidibe is heartbreaking as Precious, that poor girl. Three other actresses perform so powerfully in the film that academy voters will be hard-pressed to choose among them. Audiences may be hard-pressed to recognize them. The comedian Mo'Nique plays Mary, Precious' chain-smoking couch potato of a mother, treating her daughter like a domestic servant and turning a blind eye on years of abuse. Paula Patton is Ms. Rain, Precious' teacher, who is able to see through the girl's sullen withdrawal and her vulgarities, and wonder what pain it may be masking. Mariah Carey is Ms. Weiss, a social worker.

Moviefone: You may have heard that it's the film in which a nearly unrecognizable Mariah Carey (playing a social worker) finally earns some respect as an actress.

Associated Press: The makers of "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire," who assembled some of the unlikeliest ingredients - Mariah Carey, Mo'Nique, and a lead actress plucked from an anonymous casting call - to create a wondrous work of art. Carey delivers warmly and honestly in a small role as a social worker, a surprising turnaround from her laughable musical bomb "Glitter."

Entertainment Weekly: Rating: A. Precious comes to the attention of a welfare counselor, played by Mariah Carey with an authentically deglammed compassion, and once she's in the class, she starts to wake up.

TIME: But that's only the second or third chapter in a story whose brutal revelations come at regular intervals. A riveting scene near the end of the movie – with Mary, Precious and a social worker played by a makeup-free Mariah Carey (who should work for Daniels every chance she gets) – is as powerful as anything on film this year.

New York Daily News: Rating: 4/5 stars. So why is everyone talking about this movie? Well, it doesn't hurt to have Oprah and Tyler Perry, both executive producers, on your side. But the film's real strength is its cast, from an Oscar-bound Mo'Nique to a notably deglammed Mariah Carey (as an overwhelmed social worker). The actress who most deserves credit, however, is the one we don't already know: first-timer Sidibe. She provides the faintly beating heart of this movie, muted enough to overlook but strong enough to keep everything going.

Chicago Tribune: Rating: 3½ stars. And Mariah Carey -- who knew the pop diva had such a good, honest, clean performance in her? She plays a social worker, and in a couple of lengthy interactions, Carey and Sidibe find common performance ground where you wouldn't think any existed.

Star-Ledger NJ: Actually, the smaller but ultimately more startling surprise here is Mariah Carey, stripped of makeup and playing a Jewish social worker with an accent that could stop Fran Drescher in her tracks. If Carey ever wants to jump to the glamorous world of indie film, it's waiting.

USA Today: Precious begins learning to read and write, thanks to the dedication of her teacher Blu Rain (Paula Patton). A compassionate social worker (Mariah Carey in a startlingly subtle performance) helps Precious gain strength.

Metromix: Her breakthrough performance is just one of the movie's many believe-it-when-you-see-it selling points.

Los Angeles Times: Most of the characters are a study in restraint. Mariah Carey, sans makeup and minis, is almost unrecognizable and a pleasant surprise as the tough New York social worker who eventually gets Precious' case.

Backstage: Among the fine supporting cast, Patton is warm and stern as the kind teacher who takes Precious under her wing and encourages her to fly. Mariah Carey completely erases the memory of "Glitter" and is quite effective as a no-nonsense social worker, while Lenny Kravitz and Sherri Shepherd are fine in their brief roles.

Rolling Stone: Rating: 3½ / 4 stars. The Precious support system consists of Nurse John (an excellent Lenny Kravitz) and Ms. Weiss (the de-glittered Mariah Carey is a revelation), a social worker who knows the roots of Precious' problems.

FilmCritic: Aided by a social worker (an unrecognizable and shockingly strong Mariah Carey), Precious begins a slow, rough detachment from her life with Mary.

MSNBC: Ultimately, though, it's really about the intensity of Sibide and Mo'Nique, although supporting players Patton and an unrecognizable Mariah Carey (her powerful performance as a social worker officially absolves her for "Glitter") certainly have an impact as well. Make whatever hay you want out of what this film does or doesn't say about the black experience or living in poverty or the cycle of familial abuse, but there's no denying the searing performances that Daniels has elicited from his fine cast.

New York Post: Rating: 3½ / 4 stars. Daniels even manages to draw a highly effective performance out of a severely de-glamorized Mariah Carey (complete with faint mustache) as a sympathetic but tough social worker who has to referee a climactic showdown between the newly empowered Precious and Mary.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon November 9th, 2009, 19:05

WOW everybody is praising her performance hope she gets nominated for an oscar, but I have a feeling she wont, the Academy awards have something against "singers-turned-actresses" :x Screw them
    I don't think you know...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon November 9th, 2009, 19:22

I read this book a few years ago. It will anger you more than it will make you cry.

I plan to see it the movie this weekend. I loved what Lee Daniels did with the direction of "Shadowboxer". I'm sure I will love "Push" as well.
    Anything too stupid to be said, is sung.
    - Voltaire

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri November 27th, 2009, 23:26

There is some seriously amazing acting in this movie. It's so sad and such an emotional story, but you just HAVE to see this film.

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat November 28th, 2009, 03:58

This film is an emotional rollercoaster and a must see. I bought my Mum the book for Christmas.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat November 28th, 2009, 05:00

Quote Originally Posted by alxx
    I really want to see this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    Not a real song, post it in one of your hit This N That threads

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat November 28th, 2009, 19:58

Quote Originally Posted by Rutter
    the Academy awards have something against "singers-turned-actresses" :x Screw them
    *cough* Jennifer Hudson *cough*