User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which album do you prefer?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Control

13 24.53%
  • janet.

40 75.47%
Page 488 of 580 FirstFirst ... 388438478486487488489490498538 ... LastLast
Results 12,176 to 12,200 of 14487

Thread: Janet Jackson

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JanetShe is literally, every artist's favorite artist. She is forever trending. We are living in a Janet Nation. Every day we feel her impact.

Solange | Tame Impala | Kelela | The xx

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 02:38

BoBo,

I'm so excited. I don't know if I will cry, cheer, do the splits, back bend, pass out or what... I am so excited to see auntie perform.
    Diva!!!

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 02:45

Me too. I've been waiting for so long. It still seems unreal to me.
    JanetShe is literally, every artist's favorite artist. She is forever trending. We are living in a Janet Nation. Every day we feel her impact.

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 02:50

Janet Jackson's Costume Designer on Creating Her Iconic Concert Style

Robert Behar talks inspiration behind the musician's tour outfits in honor of her 52nd birthday

[img]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/janet-jackson-10172017-jl-167x-1-1526416935.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.739xh;0,0.0484xh&resize=1200:*[/img]

Twenty-five years ago, "That's the Way Love Goes," the first single from Janet Jackson's fifth studio album, Janet, kicked off an eight-week run on the Billboard Hot 100. The album would go on to generate six more number-one singles, with the R&B singer embarking on world tours and donning statement-making concert attire (canes, hats, and androgynous tailored suits) that would become the stuff of legend. Her elaborate stage shows, fusing elements of hip-hop, dance pop, and R&B, would incorporate heavily choreographed routines and intricate clothing that would cement Jackson as a cultural and style icon for years to come.

Now on her eighth concert tour, the international "State of the World" Tour to promote her 11th album, Unbreakable, Jackson's involvement in her shows span from her dancers' outfits and shoes to the clothing she wears for any specific song. On the singer's 52nd birthday, CR caught up with costume designer Robert Behar, who has worked with Jackson for over 13 years, to talk inspiration behind her latest concert looks.

[img]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/gettyimages-2069675-1526410110.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=768:*[/img]

How did you first meet Janet?
    Her makeup artist at the time Fran Cooper introduced me to her. It was when she was receiving a GLAAD Award and we did her performance for the Bahamas right after that. For me, what was amazing is to work with her, and the focus is really, really intense. You get into this creative bubble and she’s there with you and she holds your hand and she’s personable and kind but also her vision is very clear. She makes it incredibly easy. Plus, she’s a very beautiful woman so you just kind of float with that. I’m incredibly lucky to be working with her.

What mood did you want for the clothing for this tour?

We always try to be innovative and 100-percent Janet. I wanted to make it a reflection of her. Her looks are always modern, always forward-thinking, so that’s what we start on and then we developed from there. I create sketches of ideas, do mood boards, and we dissect until we get to the diamond, so to speak.

[img]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/7cb4edaacc26ae2df3214f582cf52699-1526413806.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=768:*[/img]

Do you ever look back on old concert pictures for inspiration?
    Once the tour’s done, it’s done. We don’t go back to those things. The only time we went back was for the BET Awards when she was given the Ultimate Icon: Music Dance Visual Award. I did an interpretation of the clothes for Ciara, Jason Derulo, and Tinashe, which was almost literal, but still a bit more modern. That was it, but when it comes to her tour, it’s always forward. I try to never look back. We want it to be different and something she hasn’t done before.

With this tour, there has been a lot of black-and-white as well as uses of different types of leather. What was the costume design process like?

I do research, which is inspired by the words "sensual," "effortless," "futuristic," "new," and "modern." I start searching image after image and I do an edit of those images to create a mood board. When we worked on this tour, it was about creating a vibe with the dancers. We call them the “kids.” It’s inspired by both fashion and the street, and with a futuristic element. We like different textures, so even though they're not wearing the same outfit, there's a theme to it. We did a black-and-white theme, where they wear a different outfit from the same collection. With Janet, we were very inspired by two designers she loves: Haider Ackermann and Rick Owens.

What does she like about those designers in particular?
    With Haider Ackermann, it’s an understated sexiness. With Rick Owens, there’s more of a dramatic, futuristic sexiness without being in your face. There’s the comfort as well.

What was Janet’s input on the clothing?
    Janet is one of those artists who is involved in every little detail of the show, from the costumes to the music. We look at pictures, we like certain details and emotions, and we start designing the clothes. I'll send her sketches and once we adjust them to what feels comfortable to us, then we’ll start making the clothes. She’s involved in the fittings, the hair, the makeup, and the wardrobe. Everything is shown to her one by one on each dancer, and everything is adjusted for the final result.

[img]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/screen-shot-2018-05-15-at-3-43-15-pm-1526413415.png?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=768:*[/img]

What's your favorite costume for this tour?
    I like the opening costume: the short-sleeve coat with the cane and leather gloves. You can see the costume underneath, but not all of it. It’s the first one in my head and it’s the one we had the most time to work on. It’s a different attitude for her. It’s a very strong opening moment. I like the deconstructed look, but it's also very chic and very Janet.

How do you change up the looks for Janet with each concert?
    We’ll experiment with different looks, but I like to see her wearing clothes in which she looks effortless. You still see Janet—you don’t see just the clothes. She’s chic and elegant, and she has an incredible eye for fashion, art, and music.
    https://www.crfashionbook.com/celebrity ... the-world/

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Diva
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 05:14

Yes! It's fantastic.

Serbian magazine from 1988.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 13:39

The Knowledge

So criminally underrated. I love When I Think of You too.

And a very happy belated birthday to Janet. I hope she had a wonderful day.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 16:05

OMG! She has an interview and cover as well!!! She'a doing promo again!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 16:36

My god what a legend! Billbiard is going all out for her!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 16:38

Great interview! Great shoot! I just love her!

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 16:41

"Despite the hectic sprint to rehearse for the shows while recording new songs for an as-yet-unannounced release..."

I'm in heaven!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 17:47

Has anyone ever heard her cover of “Pillow Talk” that she recorded for the janet album?

https://twitter.com/mr_taylor/status/997154078349197312

The Diva
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 17:49

Nope. That was a revelation in the interview

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 18:01

I wonder how the author got his hands on it...

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 18:06

David Ritz is her biographer. His text is in the "Design of a Decade" booklet, he did a Rolling Stone interview with her in 1998 and co-wrote her book "True You."

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 18:20

This part! ?

I’m very intuitive about writing. Anything can inspire me. This morning, I saw this lovely elderly Japanese woman walking down the streets of Hollywood wearing an adorable bonnet with bright red flowers. She might be a song. I remembered an especially painful chapter in my early life last night before going to bed. That might be a song. I woke up this morning and heard a bird chirping in a rhythm that captivated my heart. Maybe that will turn into a new groove. Like everyone else, my feelings are fluid. My ideas are fleeting. I like to keep it that way. I can’t decide in advance what a song or an album concept will be. I have to let those songs and concepts come to me rather than chase them down.

Legend
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 21:43

she looks phenomenal in the pictures. <3 queen indeed.

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 22:37

Variety: Looking Back at Janet Jackson’s Innovative ‘janet.’ 25 Years Later

On its release 25 years ago, on May 18, 1993, there was nothing lower-case about Janet Jackson’s album “janet.” except its title.

Jackson’s previous two albums for A&M Records, “Control” (1986) and “Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation 1814” (1989), had reached No. 1 on the national charts and been certified for sales of 11 million total units. No longer a modestly successful R&B singer, she was a major crossover talent whose commercial profile had begun to rival that of her older brother Michael.

An intense bidding war for Jackson’s services ensued in 1991, with Virgin Records prevailing with a then-unprecedented and headline-making bid that the label’s founder Richard Branson later identified as $25 million. (On the heels of that pact, Michael Jackson would renegotiate his own contract with Sony Music for an even more astronomical sum.)

Branson, who had to scramble to assemble the financing for the deal, wrote in 2016, “Signing Janet would confirm Virgin Records’ position as the world’s sexiest record company. I was damned if I was going to let the caution of our bankers stop us.”

In the face of Jackson’s track record and Virgin’s huge commitment, expectations for her next album were high in the business, and one might imagine that intense pressure to replicate the previous successes would be felt by the vocalist and her producing and songwriting partners Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, who had helmed the A&M hits (with Jellybean Johnson, a fellow former member of the Minneapolis band the Time).

But Jam notes coolly today, “I remember that she had signed a big deal, but for us, in the studio, that really didn’t matter a whole lot. My analogy was always, if you’re a baseball player and somebody gives you a huge contract, when you go up in front of a pitcher all you’re trying to do is hit the ball.”

Like the preceding two collections, “janet.” was tracked at Flyte Tyme, Jam and Lewis’ studio in Edina, MN, outside the Twin Cities. Jam says, “Part of the magic of the ‘janet.’ album was that it was recorded in Minneapolis, so we didn’t have any interference…You couldn’t just drop by the studio. Which was great for us.”

Today, Jam sees the writing on “janet.” as part of a continuum of personal and artistic development seen in Jackson’s earlier records with the production team.

“What you’re watching is a natural progression of a woman who’s young and just starting off [on “Control”], and then growing in confidence, recognizing things in the world around her that bother her on ‘Rhythm Nation,’ and then someone who knows herself a little bit better, who’s in a happy place and in love. You’re watching an evolution, which is I think part of her appeal over the years. People literally watched her grow up on records.”

He adds, “The record just reflects where Janet was in her life at that point in time. Looking back on it, we always said that the ‘Rhythm Nation’ album was our ‘What’s Going On.’ The ‘janet.’ album was our ‘Let’s Get It On.’ – the progression that Marvin Gaye did.”

Indeed, several of the songs on “janet.” – “You Want This,” “Throb,” “The Body That Loves You” – and some of the interstitial interludes that connect the album’s tracks afforded an eyebrow-raising peek behind Jackson’s bedroom door. (In 1991, she had married actor Rene Elizondo, whose hands could be seen cupping his wife’s bare breasts on an uncropped version of the “janet.” album art that ran on the cover of Rolling Stone in September 1993.)

Some of the original material was heated by old-school samples from James Brown, the Supremes, Kool & the Gang, Stevie Wonder and the Average White Band. The album’s lone cover, a version of blue-eyed soul singer Johnny Daye’s 1967 Stax single “What’ll I Do For Satisfaction,” was Jellybean Johnson’s only production contribution to the set.

While “Control” and “Rhythm Nation” were made by the Jackson, the core production team and a platoon of session contributors, “janet.” exited the team’s comfort zone by employing some new and unexpected collaborators.

“That was Janet’s idea,” Jam says. “Up to that point, we hadn’t really done any recording with anyone outside of Janet and ourselves…We wanted to think outside the box a little bit.”

He continues, “Janet had such a rich history of music growing up. She loved musicals, she loved opera, she had such a wide palette, and she said, ‘I’d love to do something with Kathleen Battle.’”

One never would have imagined that Battle, the Metropolitan Opera star, would be a simpatico vocal foil for Jackson, but the diva made her first appearance on a pop record with a hypnotic counterpoint contribution to the track “This Time.”

“She obviously just killed it,” Jam says, laughing at the recollection. “We just had her sing — we didn’t really tell her what to sing. She enjoyed it, because she got a chance to improvise her part. The one little signature line that we ended up using was amongst a whole bunch of different things that she did. We took the vocal and kind of manipulated it – not changing what she did, but just placing it.”

Public Enemy’s front man Chuck D became an integral part of the album’s most politically pointed track, “New Agenda,” authoring a fierce rap that gave the track its keen edge.

“We’re both huge Public Enemy fans,” Jam says. “‘New Agenda’ was really her concept. I always want to make the guests feel at home…and studying the tracks that Chuck had done with Hank Shocklee and the Bomb Squad, [we noticed] there were a lot of samples, and there was always a kind of dissonant tension to all those tracks. Literally, that track was like the kitchen sink.”

The rapper’s impact extended beyond his vocal work, Jam adds: “Chuck became a very important part of ‘That’s the Way Love Goes’ becoming the first single.”

As the album was nearing completion, Jackson and Virgin’s American co-presidents Jeff Ayeroff and Jordan Harris were leaning toward “If,” a guitar-driven slab of new jack swing, as the leadoff single. Jam and Lewis were stumping for “That’s the Way Love Goes,” a ballad that rode a sampled lick from James Brown’s “Papa Don’t Take No Mess.”

In the studio, Jam and Jackson played the songs for Chuck D and asked for an opinion.

Jam remembers, “Chuck goes, ‘Yeah, man. ‘”If,” that’s like a Janet record, man. I can see the video in my head right now. That’s gonna be crazy.’ Janet’s looking at me like, ‘Mm hm, see?’ And then he goes, ‘But that other record – that other record reminds me of when Sade releases a record. Not a lot of hype, but all of a sudden that record is out and you’re goin’, ‘Man, who is that?’ And I looked at Janet like, ‘Mm hm.’

“So I said to him, ‘What do you think?’ He said, ‘Man, I like that ballad, man. Nobody’s expecting that, man. I think I’d go with that.’ So anyway, Janet said, ‘Cool. That’s the single.’ It set the table perfectly for us.”

“That’s the Way Love Goes” spent eight weeks at No. 1 on the pop charts and four weeks at the apex of the R&B charts and became Jackson’s second platinum single; on the pop side, it matched Maria Carey’s “Dreamlover” for longevity on the singles chart. It became the first of six top-10 pop singles drawn from the album, which sold more than 7 million copies domestically and 14 million worldwide.

Not only did “janet.” serve to justify the enormous investment made by Virgin, but it offered artistic validation for Jackson as well: “That’s the Way Love Goes” reaped a Grammy in 1994 as best R&B song for the singer and her collaborators.

Jam – who went on to co-write and co-produce four more multi-platinum and platinum albums with Jackson — views that achievement as a harbinger of the contemporary scene, where creative forces ranging from Beyoncé to Janelle Monae are making their mark.

“We’re certainly in an enlightened time right now when we’re recognizing the power and the talent of females, producers and engineers and musicians. Janet was doing it before anybody, really, at that level, and I don’t think she gets recognized enough for that.”

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-05-18, 22:53

Billboard: What She's Done for Us: The Essential Guide to Janet Jackson's Career

Janet Jackson: pop music innovator, brilliant songwriter, genre game-changer, mother and influential legend. There are many titles the artist possesses, and she will be adding yet another prestigious one to her collection when she receives the Icon Award at the Billboard Music Awards this Sunday (May 20).
    But before the triple-threat takes the stage to accept the honor, Billboard takes a deep dive into Janet’s impeccable career -- ranging from her most inspiring albums to performances that doubled as major pop culture moments. So if you're just now getting into her music, this guide will take you through all the essentials of the pop and R&B Icon’s catalogue.

The Albums

Starting point: Control, Rhythm Nation and janet.

When it comes to a proper introduction to Janet Jackson’s music, Control is the ideal place to start. It may have only been the singer’s third album, but it was the first insight into the star quality she possessed. Released in 1986, the LP showed Janet confidently embracing her artistic freedom after severing management ties with her father Joseph. The album’s music reflected this new chapter, with master production duo Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis helping Janet experiment with commanding proto-New Jack Swing beats (“Nasty,” “What Have You Done for Me Lately”), emotive R&B ballads (“Let’s Wait a While,” “Funny How Time Flies (When You’re Having Fun”) and blissful pop jams (“When I Think of You,” “The Pleasure Principle”). Compared to her previous work, this album found Janet becoming more aggressive -- both in her vocals, and lyrics that alluded to her annulled marriage to R&B star James DeBarge. Control became the blueprint for future female singers who felt confined by the shackles of their record label and wanted to take, well, control of their musicianship.

With 1989’s Rhythm Nation, the singer quickly transitioned from pop star to icon before she even turned 25 years old. The concept album (accompanied by a longform video) is deeply rooted in social issues, ranging from racial injustice (the title track) to poverty and drug wars (“State of the World”). There was also a little romance sprinkled in with songs like “Miss You Much” and “Love Will Never Do (Without You)” -- two of the album’s seven top five hits on the Billboard Hot 100, a chart record that still stands today. Rhythm Nation was Janet’s mission statement, a militant call to action that proved pop music can in fact be both boldly political and digestible for a massive mainstream audience.

In contrast to the sharpness of Rhythm Nation, 1993’s janet. explored sexual freedom and all of the intricate layers of womanhood. A more feminine Janet sported loose, flowing curls on the album cover and showed off her enviable curves in the song’s videos. The music reflected this change, becoming both erotic and vulnerable, with highlights including the orgasmic (literally) ‘90s house jam “Throb” and the sensual groove “That’s The Way Love Goes,” her longest-reigning No. 1 on the Hot 100. This album was another risk for Janet, and showed women that they don’t have to be submissive -- in the bedroom or the boardroom.

Fan favorites: The Velvet Rope, Discipline

1997’s The Velvet Rope is loved by diehard Janet fans, due to the brashness of its production and its introspective look into the singer’s struggles with depression and questions of self-worth. This album had a darker, edgier tone as Janet tackled topics that were taboo to discuss, especially coming from a young Black woman. The Velvet Rope was stuffed with references to domestic abuse (“What About”), homophobia (“Free Xone”) and BDSM (“Rope Burn”). Even the album's biggest hit, the Hot 100-topping dance club anthem “Together Again,” was inspired by a friend Janet had lost to the AIDS epidemic. Its personal intensity inspired future artists (Rihanna, The Weeknd, Beyoncé, Britney Spears) to dig deeper into their flaws and transform them into art.

While it didn't gain as much success, 2008's Discipline stands as one of Janet's most underrated works to date. The singer’s 10th album was a lively experiment with various dance genres -- house, electro-pop, techno -- that was fused with Janet’s love for classic R&B. Discipline had a more refreshing flair, with Janet trading in her right-hand guys Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis for younger producers and songwriters like Stargate, The-Dream, Darkchild and Ne-Yo, resulting in standout tracks like the euphoric “Rock With U” and the tender ballad “Greatest X.”

Other suggestions: All For You, Damita Jo

For more casual listeners, 2001’s All For You and 2004’s Damita Jo remain key Janet albums. All For You is a lighthearted party that smoothed the razor edges of The Velvet Rope four years prior. It had touches of “fuck you with a smile” sassiness, and found Janet trying out New Age and glam rock sounds. It’s a shame Damita Jo didn’t get the love it needed due to coming in the aftermath of the embarrassing halftime incident at Super Bowl XXXVIII, but it is an intimate record that is dripping with sex appeal. Co-production from a College Dropout-era Kanye West gave the album a soulful, sample-filled edge.

The Singles

Starting point: “Nasty,” “Control,” Rhythm Nation,” “That’s The Way Love Goes,” “Together Again,” “All For You”

“Nasty” was Janet’s 1986 sonic slap in the face to men who had sexually harassed her on the Minneapolis streets, and birthed the iconic line: “No, my first name ain't baby / It's Janet… Ms. Jackson if you're nasty.” “Control” was her funky way of taking ownership of her artistry, while “Rhythm Nation” was a bold conversation about the world’s social inequality and a plea for everyone to come together peacefully. “That’s The Way Love Goes,” from 1993, is an hypnotic ode to warm romance, The Velvet Rope’s “Together Again” was a love letter to a close friend who died from AIDS and later became a LGBTQ+ anthem, and 2001’s “All For You” is a flirtatious dancefloor staple that instantly puts a smile on your face.

Fan favorites: “When I Think of You,” “If,” “The Pleasure Principle,” “Any Time, Any Place,” “I Get Lonely,” “Rock With U,” “All Nite (Don’t Stop),” “Love Will Never Do (Without You),” “No Sleeep” “Again,” “Got Til’ It’s Gone”

“When I Think Of You” and “The Pleasure Principle,” from Control, showed different facets of young and fleeting love, while ‘90s jams “Any Time, Any Place” and “I Get Lonely” had a grown-up Janet unapologetically laying out her sexual needs. “If” was a block-rocking, genre-blending banger that broke up a run of slower-paced janet. hits, while 2008’s “Rock With U” was a glittering futuristic disco jam that easily transitioned from the club to beneath the sheets.

“All Nite (Don’t Stop)” from Damita Jo served as another example of Janet’s affinity for house-inflicted beats that paired well with her breathy vocals. Rhythm Nation’s final Hot 100 topper “Love Will Never Do (Without You)” will make you want to fall in love over and over again, and the J. Cole-featuring “No Sleeep,” from her most recent LP Unbreakable, is a quiet storm that longs for a sensual reunion with a special lover. Jackson rarely does ballads like 1993’s tearful “Again” (an Oscar-nominated smash from the Janet-starring romance Poetic Justice), but it’s definitely her best. And “Got ‘til It’s Gone” is a mellow hip-hop charmer that slotted her seamlessly into the nu-soul era of the late ‘90s.

Other suggestions: “Doesn’t Really Matter,” “Someone To Call My Lover”

“Doesn’t Really Matter,” lifted from the 2000 Nutty Professor II: The Klumps soundtrack, is a poppy reminder to love someone’s inner being without being too swayed by their physical appearance. And the America-sampling “Someone To Call My Lover,” from a couple years later, is a solid, breezy pop/rock jam that holds on to hope when it comes to finding romance after a long relationship.

The Videos

Starting point: “Rhythm Nation,” “Together Again,” The Pleasure Principle,” “That’s The Way Love Goes”

“Rhythm Nation” set a huge standard for pop singers’ music videos after its release, thanks to its black-and-white military-inspired themes that highlighted Janet’s dedication to choreography that was just as intricate as her brother Michael. The lyrical themes of “Together Again” became even more hopeful with its accompanying video, which was based in a fantastical version of the African safari, as Janet mingled with the animals surrounding her. The clip for “The Pleasure Principle” remains an enduring inspiration for female artists, with acts like Britney Spears and Cassie mimicking Janet’s solo dance routine, in their own videos for 2000’s “Stronger” and 2006’s “Me & U,” respectively. And “That’s The Way Love Goes” gave us the first look into Janet’s newly realized adult femininity, where she seduced the camera with her tight figure.

Fan favorites: “What’s It Gonna Be?!,” “Love Will Never Do (Without You),” “I Get Lonely,” “If”

The Hype Williams-directed “What’s It Gonna Be?!” oozed with futuristic sexuality from both Janet and Busta Rhymes as they sung about wet dreams, while “Love Will Never Do (Without You)” was a more subdued display of sensuality in black + white through the eyes of renowned photographer Herb Ritts. “If” showcased Janet’s masterful dance skills as she toyed with sexual voyeurism, and “I Get Lonely” is another choreography-based video that highlighted the singer’s coveted body,” which has been oft-copied by many singers in the years since.

Other suggestions: “Scream,” “Alright”

“Alright” is one of Janet’s more theatrical videos, where she paid homage to Hollywood in the ‘30s and ‘50s (how dope did she look in that zoot suit?), and “Scream” is the iconic, futuristic collaboration between the singer and her brother Michael that found the pair reaching their limits with the media prying into their personal lives. (It also went down in history as the most expensive music video of all time, with a whopping price tag of $7 million.)

The Performances

Starting point: 1990 MTV VMAs, 2001 MTV VMA Icon Award, 2009 MTV VMA Awards, 2009 AMA Awards

Janet showed everyone how an opening awards show performance is done with her controversial rock star rendition of “Black Cat” at the 1990 MTV VMAs, where she shocked the audience by ripping her shirt open to expose a black bra. You could almost hear the world’s mouths drop in awe once Janet emerged onto the stage at the same awards in 2009, where she honored her late brother (who had died the previous June) with an emotional performance of their “Scream" duet.

She kept the tribute going during her 2009 AMAs performance, with a powerful medley filled with hits like “Control” and “Make Me,” before dedicating “Together Again” to Michael. And we cannot forget her showstopping performance at the 2001 MTV VMAs, where she received the Icon Award.

Fan favorites: “Would You Mind” live in Hawaii (2002), 1993 MTV VMAs, 1998 VH1 Fashion Awards

Janet’s love for erotica transcended on stage, and a lucky fan got the experience of a lifetime when the singer gave him a lapdance to “Would You Mind” while on tour in Hawaii. The poor guy couldn’t control himself once Janet expertly straddled him, and fans couldn’t keep their eyes off the pair. The singer’s “That's the Way Love Goes / If” mashup at the 1993 MTV VMAs was all about Janet’s appreciation for dance, and her harrowing, tear-stricken rendition of “What About” at the 1998 VH1 Fashion Awards was unforgettable.

Other suggestions: 2004 Super Bowl halftime, 1990 MTV VMAs, 1987 Grammys

Janet was criticized to no end following the controversial Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime performance, but many forgot how incredible she was on stage before the “Nipplegate” incident, as she amped up the crowd with classics like “All For You” and “Rhythm Nation.” A few decades prior, the singer took control of the stage with a fiery "What Have You Done for Me Lately"/"Nasty" performance at the 1987 Grammys.