Clear All
  • hellohello
    Manager
    • 01 Sep 2005

Originally posted by jochen
    Originally posted by Bojan
    So beautiful.

1999 world music awards
    Wow, I honestly thought that this was 1993/5 Janet. She looked stunning!
    Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney

Comment

• Yoshie
      Legend
      • 16 Jan 2006

Congratulations, Janet! Very excited to see her perform.

Comment

• Westen
        Legend
        • 11 Jun 2013

Weather you all like it or not JLO is an ICON, she had super successful career in both music and in Hollywood, this decade she slayed television and became touring force with HUGELY successful residency. She deserved it. Funny how you're all bitching about people/media discrediting women in industry and yet you are all about that...

JLo deserved it as much as others, at the end of the day they all got it the same way. So you're only discrediting award, not her.

Comment

• NothingFails
          Legend
          • 09 Jan 2004

Re: Janet Jackson

J. Lo had 3-4 years where she was really successful (1999-2003) and then the hits faded until she came back and had one more big hit in 2011.... Her "icon" status has more to do with her pop culture image as a whole and not just her music. Just from female artists who debuted around the same time as her, Britney, Beyonce and Pink all deserve it before her as all had more longevity and bigger eras than J. Lo ever had... even you could argue Christina is a bigger musical icon than J. Lo as yet another female star who came out around then. She's just like Jennifer Aniston who is a bigger star for the whole package, but nobody is going to give Aniston a lifetime achievement Oscar for a couple hit movies.
          My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

• Wayne
            Site Owner
            • 07 Sep 2006

Originally posted by Westen
            Weather you all like it or not JLO is an ICON, she had super successful career in both music and in Hollywood, this decade she slayed television and became touring force with HUGELY successful residency. She deserved it. Funny how you're all bitching about people/media discrediting women in industry and yet you are all about that...

JLo deserved it as much as others, at the end of the day they all got it the same way. So you're only discrediting award, not her.
            Within the confines of music, Jennifer Lopez is no more than half the star of any of those acts and when it gets to the likes of Celine and Prince, that percentage falls significantly less.

She simply does not deserve to be on that list.

Comment

• Bojan
              Manager
              • 29 Jul 2016

Originally posted by lovedeluxe
              This is her third "special award" from Billboard!

1995: Artist Achievement Award
              2002: Artistic Achievement Award
              2018: Icon Award
              1990, MTV Video Music Awards: Video Vanguard Award
              1993, American Black Achievement Awards: American Black Achievement Award
              1995, Billboard Music Awards: Artist Achievement Award
              1995, Congress of Racial Equality: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Award for Outstanding Achievement
              1995, International Dance Music Awards: Outstanding Achievement in Dance Music
              1997, Lady of Soul Awards: Lena Horne Award for Outstanding Career Achievement
              2002, Billboard Music Awards: Artistic Achievement Award
              1999, World Music Awards: Legend Award
              2001, MTV Icon Award
              2001, TMF Awards: Lifetime Achievement Award
              2004, Radio Music Awards: Legend Award
              2004, MOBO Awards: Icon Hall of Fame Award
              2004, Soul Train Music Awards: Lifetime Achievement Award
              2004, MTV Japan Video Music Awards: Inspiration Award
              2015, BET Awards: Ultimate Icon Award
              2017, OUT100 Gala: Music Icon Award
              2018, Billboard Music Awards: Icon Award

It's time for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
              Gone.

Comment

• HouseTargaryen
                Legend
                • 27 Jan 2008

Re: Janet Jackson

I prayed for it and it came true... My Jan Jan getting her Icon award. Lord have mercy.

Comment

• bm08
                  • 07 Apr 2013

It is Jennifer's only Billboard Award. https://www.billboardmusicawards.com/wi ... rCategory=

I'm sure her PR people approached Billboard with the idea. Janet could have gotten it at any point. But as you know Janet only does these things when SHE wants to.
                  I hate that Billboard changed their criteria for what counts as an official BMA. Using this new metric, it drastically reduces the number of awards won by artists such as Janet, Mariah and many 90s legends. It's ridiculous to believe Taylor Swift is their most awarded artist.
                  See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• NothingFails
                    Legend
                    • 09 Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bojan
                    This is her third "special award" from Billboard!

1995: Artist Achievement Award
                    2002: Artistic Achievement Award
                    2018: Icon Award
                    1993, American Black Achievement Awards: American Black Achievement Award
                    1995, Billboard Music Awards: Artist Achievement Award
                    1995, Congress of Racial Equality: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Award for Outstanding Achievement
                    1995, International Dance Music Awards: Outstanding Achievement in Dance Music
                    1997, Lady of Soul Awards: Lena Horne Award for Outstanding Career Achievement
                    2002, Billboard Music Awards: Artistic Achievement Award
                    1999, World Music Awards: Legend Award
                    2001, MTV Icon Award
                    2001, TMF Awards: Lifetime Achievement Award
                    2004, Radio Music Awards: Legend Award
                    2004, MOBO Awards: Icon Hall of Fame Award
                    2004, Soul Train Music Awards: Lifetime Achievement Award
                    2004, MTV Japan Video Music Awards: Inspiration Award
                    2015, BET Awards: Ultimate Icon Award
                    2018, Billboard Music Awards: Icon Award

It's time for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
                    She also received the Video Vanguard Award on the MTV VMA's back in 1990... not bad given she was only midway through the RN era and already receiving a lifetime award just for the Control and half of the RN videos. Most artists don't get those until they've been around at least 10-15 years (Beyonce and Timberlake being two I can think of who got those in recent years, even though they'd been around ages)

Comment

• Westen
                      Legend
                      • 11 Jun 2013

Originally posted by NothingFails
                      J. Lo had 3-4 years where she was really successful (1999-2003) and then the hits faded until she came back and had one more big hit in 2011.... Her "icon" status has more to do with her pop culture image as a whole and not just her music. Just from female artists who debuted around the same time as her, Britney, Beyonce and Pink all deserve it before her as all had more longevity and bigger eras than J. Lo ever had... even you could argue Christina is a bigger musical icon than J. Lo as yet another female star who came out around then. She's just like Jennifer Aniston who is a bigger star for the whole package, but nobody is going to give Aniston a lifetime achievement Oscar for a couple hit movies.
                      Not true. Just because she's not topping charts in US doesn't mean that she doesn't have hits, hit today are bigger than charts. She adopted to streaming very well and became beast on youtube. And her catalog is pushed a lot thanks to her new found power on youtube.
                      In case you missed them, these are her views for singles released this decade
                      1,200,000,000, On the floor
                      712,000,000, Adrenalina
                      629,000,000, We are one
                      585,000,000, Ain't your mama
                      512,000,000, Follow the leader
                      433,000,000, Dance again
                      325,000,000, Papi
                      269,000,000, Back it up
                      266,000,000, I'm into you
                      259,000,000, Booty
                      236,000,000, Goin in
                      225,000,000, Live it up
                      109,000,000, I luh ya papi
                      86,000,000, Ni tu ni yo
                      72,000,000, Amor amor amor
                      49,000,000, T.H.E.
                      43,000,000, Feel the light
                      36,000,000, First love
                      25,000,000, El Anillo - released 10 days ago
                      22,000,000, Same Girl

She's obviously relevant. On top of that she is on Forbes' list every single year.

I mean those 3-4 years you speak of were enough for her to have biggest gross per date in Vegas.

Award is not called ARTISTRY award, it's ICON award. And JLo is an ICON.

Like I said, she got it the same way as other artists in same category, so if you're only discrediting award itself because you saying JLO didn't deserve it obviously means that award itself is fake.

Comment

• HouseTargaryen
                        Legend
                        • 27 Jan 2008

Originally posted by bm08
                        It is Jennifer's only Billboard Award. https://www.billboardmusicawards.com/wi ... rCategory=

I'm sure her PR people approached Billboard with the idea. Janet could have gotten it at any point. But as you know Janet only does these things when SHE wants to.
                        I hate that Billboard changed their criteria for what counts as an official BMA. Using this new metric, it drastically reduces the number of awards won by artists such as Janet, Mariah and many 90s legends. It's ridiculous to believe Taylor Swift is their most awarded artist.
                        When it comes to this last decade, no one has dominated like Taylor. I don't like her music, and I am not trying to start a debate, but we cant pretend that Taylor isn't the most successful star in the last 10 years (in USA).

Comment

• NothingFails
                          Legend
                          • 09 Jan 2004

Originally posted by bm08

Not a Taylor fan but she has had four occasions where she had the #1 selling album of the year, and another year (2010) where she was a close second place. Reputation has seen a dropoff vs. the other albums before it, but you literally have to go back to MJ to think of an artist who was able to keep consistent for an entire decade with huge album sales.

Comment

• bm08
                            • 07 Apr 2013

Not a Taylor fan but she has had four occasions where she had the #1 selling album of the year, and another year (2010) where she was a close second place. Reputation has seen a dropoff vs. the other albums before it, but you literally have to go back to MJ to think of an artist who was able to keep consistent for an entire decade with huge album sales.
                            Yeah, not taking anything away from Swift (I'm a casual fan) but their reasoning behind essentially "stripping" artists of their award is questionable. Per their article:

The Billboard Music Awards began in 1990, and initially aired yearly through 2006. During those years, the Billboard Music Awards' categories and winners were based on Billboard's year-end charts, which are published in December each year. Not all year-end charts were represented on the yearly show. The BBMAs went on hiatus from 2007 through 2010. The BBMAs returned in 2011, on ABC. From 2011 onwards, the show's categories were no longer based on the year-end charts. Instead, they now honor chart performance during a 12-month span of time, roughly running from the charts dated in early April of the previous year to early April of the current year.

Acts With the Most Billboard Music Award Wins (1990-2016):

Taylor Swift, 21
                            Garth Brooks, 19
                            Adele, 18
                            Usher, 18
                            Whitney Houston, 16
                            Justin Bieber, 15
                            Mariah Carey, 14
                            R. Kelly, 12
                            Rihanna, 12
                            Lil Jon, 11 (includes six with East Side Boyz)
                            50 Cent, 10
                            Mary J. Blige, 10
                            Destiny's Child, 10
                            Eminem, 10
                            Janet Jackson, 10
                            Carrie Underwood, 10
                            https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... -1990-2016
                            Maybe it makes sense to others and I'm not grasping their intent but it seems a bit unfair to me. Should they strip artists of their #1s before streaming changed their chart rules too because there is a new criteria?
                            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• NothingFails
                              Legend
                              • 09 Jan 2004

Not true. Just because she's not topping charts in US doesn't mean that she doesn't have hits, hit today are bigger than charts. She adopted to streaming very well and became beast on youtube. And her catalog is pushed a lot thanks to her new found power on youtube.
                              In case you missed them, these are her views for singles released this decade
                              1,200,000,000, On the floor
                              712,000,000, Adrenalina
                              629,000,000, We are one
                              585,000,000, Ain't your mama
                              512,000,000, Follow the leader
                              433,000,000, Dance again
                              325,000,000, Papi
                              269,000,000, Back it up
                              266,000,000, I'm into you
                              259,000,000, Booty
                              236,000,000, Goin in
                              225,000,000, Live it up
                              109,000,000, I luh ya papi
                              86,000,000, Ni tu ni yo
                              72,000,000, Amor amor amor
                              49,000,000, T.H.E.
                              43,000,000, Feel the light
                              36,000,000, First love
                              25,000,000, El Anillo - released 10 days ago
                              22,000,000, Same Girl

She's obviously relevant. On top of that she is on Forbes' list every single year.

I mean those 3-4 years you speak of were enough for her to have biggest gross per date in Vegas.

Award is not called ARTISTRY award, it's ICON award. And JLo is an ICON.

Like I said, she got it the same way as other artists in same category, so if you're only discrediting award itself because you saying JLO didn't deserve it obviously means that award itself is fake.

Maybe WW J. Lo is a bigger hitmaker, but Billboard is a US-based publication, and On The Floor is the only huge single she's had post "All I Have". At this point J. Lo could retire from acting and music and she'll still sell celebrity gossip rags.

Seriously, please try and counter my argument that J. Lo doesn't deserve a "music legend" award before the likes of Beyonce, Britney or Pink, all of which have been around as long as her, had bigger selling peaks than she ever had, and also had a much longer patch of hits. J. Lo to those three is like Cyndi Lauper getting an icon award before Madonna, Janet and Whitney.

Comment

• beredy
                                Legend
                                • 09 Nov 2010

I hope she promotes a new single. Open the performance with a short snippet of the new single, go into a short medley (no more than 3 songs) of pure hits and finish with the new single.

Also it makes sense they did more US dates now. It was obviously well known in advance and they planned it to promote tour and sell it.

Comment

• Westen
                                  Legend
                                  • 11 Jun 2013

Maybe WW J. Lo is a bigger hitmaker, but Billboard is a US-based publication, and On The Floor is the only huge single she's had post "All I Have". At this point J. Lo could retire from acting and music and she'll still sell celebrity gossip rags.

Seriously, please try and counter my argument that J. Lo doesn't deserve a "music legend" award before the likes of Beyonce, Britney or Pink, all of which have been around as long as her, had bigger selling peaks than she ever had, and also had a much longer patch of hits. J. Lo to those three is like Cyndi Lauper getting an icon award before Madonna, Janet and Whitney.

So? That doesn't mean that they won't get them or they simply don't care about those awards, just like Madonna doesn't.

There is no criteria for that award, if she got it it's because Billboard wanted to give it to her.

Comment

• Bojan
                                    Manager
                                    • 29 Jul 2016

She also received the Video Vanguard Award on the MTV VMA's back in 1990... not bad given she was only midway through the RN era and already receiving a lifetime award just for the Control and half of the RN videos.
                                    At that moment she was officially the best selling video artist in America.

But yeah, she started receiving these accolades very early. She was only 23 when she was honoured with a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame.
                                    Gone.

Comment

• lovedeluxe
                                      Roadie
                                      • 18 Apr 2017

Is JLO an Icon? Yes! Is she super successful in music for her to be awarded the ICON award? IMO, No.

She ranks #36 of all-time for women on the Hot 100. https://www.billboard.com/charts/greate ... en-artists

No albums on the top 50 of all-time by women. https://www.billboard.com/charts/greate ... s-by-women

Does not appear on top 50 Billboard 200 albums artists (women) of all-time either. https://www.billboard.com/charts/greate ... en-artists

She's only had 10 top 10 hits in her career.

Even Jody Watley has had 8. Should we give her the Billboard Icon Award? Probably not.

As a brand JLO is an icon. I think for her chart success/music success, there are a lot of people that should have been awarded way before Jlo.

Comment

• Westen
                                        Legend
                                        • 11 Jun 2013

Is JLO an Icon? Yes!.
                                        So that means that she deserves ICON award...

Comment

• NothingFails
                                          Legend
                                          • 09 Jan 2004

Is JLO an Icon? Yes! Is she super successful in music for her to be awarded the ICON award? IMO, No.

She ranks #36 of all-time for women on the Hot 100. https://www.billboard.com/charts/greate ... en-artists

No albums on the top 50 of all-time by women. https://www.billboard.com/charts/greate ... s-by-women

Does not appear on top 50 Billboard 200 albums artists (women) of all-time either. https://www.billboard.com/charts/greate ... en-artists

She's only had 10 top 10 hits in her career.

Even Jody Watley has had 8. Should we give her the Billboard Icon Award? Probably not.

As a brand JLO is an icon. I think for her chart success/music success, there are a lot of people that should have been awarded way before Jlo.
                                          +1

Nobody disputes that J. Lo is in fact an icon and a brand. But if we're giving lifetime achievement awards out, usually it's either to an artist who had phenomenal game changing success (like a Whitney or Madonna or Janet or Mariah or Celine or someone) or on the other hand giving it to an artist who literally influenced hundreds of acts to follow and impact outweighs lack of sales (like Joni Mitchell, etc...), J. Lo is neither. Her biggest contribution to music was essentially copying what Mariah was doing five years earlier but just doing so at a time where pop audiences were more openminded to mainstream female stars working with rappers, and like said, Mariah was doing it at a time J. Lo was still playing bit parts in movies and being a backup dancer to Janet.

Comment

Working...