Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dido - No Angel

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue April 14th, 2009, 20:52

NO ANGEL

'No Angel' is the debut studio album of British Solo artist Dido. It was initially released in 1999, but found a mass audience in 2001, where, according to her official site, went on to sell in excess of 15 Million copies Worldwide confirmed sales, including over 3 Million in the UK, becoming the Best Selling Album of 2001, and the second biggest selling album of the 21st Century, behind James Blunt - Back To Bedlam.

The album then went on to win numerous awards, including the BRIT Award for Best British Album in 2002, and Best British Female, for Dido herself.

UK Tracklist
    1.Here With Me
    2.Hunter
    3.Don't Think Of Me
    4.My Lover's Gone
    5.All You Want
    6.Thank You
    7.Honestly OK
    8.Slide
    9.Isobel
    10.My Life
    11.I'm No Angel
    12.Take My Hand" (bonus track)

The album yeilded the successful singles 'Here With Me', 'Thankyou', which was sampled by Rapper Eminem on his song 'Stan', a UK #1 hit, 'Hunter' and 'All You Want'. The first two singles went UK top 5, with Hunter going top 20, after the album had already sold massive amounts.

The album launched Dido as one of the most successful female singers of the 21st century, and earned her an army of fans around the globe. The purpose of this thread is to discuss this phenomenal album.

Official Website -

www.Didomusic.com
    www.myspace.com/Dido

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

by » Tue April 14th, 2009, 23:39

Honestly, one of the signature albums of the decade and became a template for all of the Radio 2 Divas to come out since then: Norah Jones, Katie Melua, Duffy...

And that's why she's earned that title by all accounts.

Hunter, My Lover's Gone, & Don't Think Of Me are all time classics.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue April 14th, 2009, 23:43

I think this, along with Back To Black, are the defining albums by British Female Artists of the 21st Century.

My personal favourites are - Hunter, Dont Think Of Me, My Lover's Gone, All You Want and Thank You.

The whispers at the end of 'Dont Think Of Me' are a highlight. Especially where she says 'when I was a child, I used to dream about being in another house, with another family'. Really powerful lyric.

I do prefer Life For Rent on the whole though.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue April 14th, 2009, 23:51

IMO this is Dido's best album. It's very raw and brings back memories when I listen to it.
    I'd love to see her top it, but it's too good.
    Just cos I said it, don't mean that I meant it

Legend
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

by » Wed April 15th, 2009, 00:06

One of the best pop albums EVER, dunno really if it is her best or not.

Such great memories of every track on the LP. Diserved success it had.

Legend
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by » Wed April 15th, 2009, 04:28

Hardly "Retro". It may have been released ten years ago but wasn't popular until two years later, and is still a constant seller, with it's big songs all over the radio. Not retro, still very much current.

Great album, nonetheless.

by » Wed April 15th, 2009, 20:18

Her best album and a masterpiece.

All the songs has something special and get you inside.
    "Roses" by THE CRANBERRIES now ON SALE
    "Not your Kind of people" on May 15 by GARBAGE

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Wed April 15th, 2009, 20:30

Bought this on a whim before 'Stan' made her famous and fell in love. Got me through some hard times did this album, each song a masterpiece in it's own right. Personal favourites are 'Dont think of me', 'Isobel' and 'Take My Hand'. The latter being the most perfect end to an LP I've ever heard. 'Isobel' is so haunting.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Haven't been early since '88

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed April 15th, 2009, 22:31

I think that this is her most 'confident' sounding album. I love the way she really 'belts' it out on some of the tracks, especially at the end of 'Hunter', where she goes 'Let me Go....'. Amazing.

This album has her best backing music as well, my favourite being on 'Hunter' and 'Dont Think Of Me'. Its epic.

Im exceptionally proud of this album for her. How well it sold, and all the critical acclaim it achieved. Its amazing how 'normal' she is, it proves you dont have to do drugs and wear a beehive to be successful.

Just wish she'd carried on the trend with 'Safe Trip Home' tbh. Its not as good, but still a great album.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sat April 18th, 2009, 12:37

loove this album

never liked stan and then i hear here with me on rosswell and loooooved it, its one of my favorite
    Scholasboy is the nicest person in the entire world

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by » Sat April 18th, 2009, 20:03

I think I was probably one of the very few people who didn't enjoy this album that much.

"Here With Me", "Hunter" and "Don't Think Of Me" are amazing though.
    "I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sun April 19th, 2009, 10:21

I LOVE this album. But i liked Life For Rent even more. I'll do a complete analysis some day.

by » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 00:19

Quote Originally Posted by Tom92
    I think this, along with Back To Black, are the defining albums by British Female Artists of the 21st Century.

Couldn't agree more.

"No Angel" is Dido's best album and one of my best albums ever. I love ALL the tracks of the album especially: Take My Hand, Don't Think of Me, My Life, My lover's gone and Hunter.

If i remember right, it was the first English album i bought. Well, to be honest my parents bought it for me

Bring back that Dido! :x

Superstar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

by » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 10:46

A masterpiece, wonderful album.

by » Fri April 24th, 2009, 13:56

My Life is one of the all time fav songs of mine and it speaks out my mind soo well

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

by » Sat April 25th, 2009, 20:45

This album brings so much good memories... I want the old Dido back. The memories hurt when we look at the whole apathy Dido shows on everything these days... I wish she could comeback with more inspired music and with a proper career. What type of "musician" doesnŽt even make small concerts from time to time? But honestly I donŽt think thatŽll happen... Her peak is past and in a few years sheŽll already be considered too old for pop...

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sat April 25th, 2009, 20:58

Quote Originally Posted by joao
    This album brings so much good memories... I want the old Dido back. The memories hurt when we look at the whole apathy Dido shows on everything these days... I wish she could comeback with more inspired music and with a proper career. What type of "musician" doesnŽt even make small concerts from time to time? But honestly I donŽt think thatŽll happen... Her peak is past and in a few years sheŽll already be considered too old for pop...
    Hi Joao. Havent seen you around the forums for a while.

Yeah I agree, she's not really been doing her job properly recently, but still, we dont know what will happen in the future. I think its really tragic that her first two albums are both in the Top 5 best sellers of the 21st Century so far, yet her last one barely ruffled the charts.

I hope we see this Dido back with the next album. More confident sounding, and out there on the road doing what she did back then.

She's in the studio working on her Fourth album now according to her 'Ask Dido' questions on her site.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue May 5th, 2009, 10:06

Check This out -

Its an official remix of 'Here With Me' and Kanye West's 'Say You Will, from her website -

http://www.didomusic.com/gb/news_and_di ... youtube_3/

I think its BRILLIANT.
    Kanye West has now also blogged the track

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue May 5th, 2009, 16:18

As with most Dido albums, it's a bit hit and miss, but the least hit and miss album of her career.

Don't Think Of Me, aside from White Flag, is her best song overall.
    I sing for the things money can't buy me.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed May 6th, 2009, 23:30

Really Theberen? I think all of her albums are really solid compared to 99% of albums out there, and I listen to her album tracks more than her singles.

I really like some of the leaked stuff from her 'Odds and Ends' EP as well, that was made before No Angel. I particularly like the tracks 'Hurry Home' and 'Give Me Strength'.

There's an original version of 'Dont Think Of Me' hanging round on Youtube as well, titled 'Sweet Eyed Baby', its very stripped back, which I like. You should check it out if you haven't already

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed June 17th, 2009, 23:25

I think 'Hunter' is my favourite from this album. Other highlights for me is the first verse of 'Thankyou', 'My Lover's Gone' and 'Dont Think Of Me' - She gets ANGRY!

She sounds really sexy compared to on Safe Trip Home, which is filled with devastating grief.

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by » Tue June 30th, 2009, 22:17

This album is fantastic. I especially love 'Hunter', 'Here With Me' and 'Thank You'

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue January 19th, 2010, 16:38

NOMINATED - BEST BRITISH ALBUM OF THE LAST 30 YEARS - 2010 UK BRIT AWARDS

GO VOTE !!!