Thread: Elton John - Tiny Dancer

Legend
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by » Mon May 4th, 2009, 01:08

The original classic. Used brilliantly in the film Almost Famous and one of Elton's very best songs.
    Shame he said "yes" to Ironik. :-?

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Mon May 4th, 2009, 02:24

to be fair, Elton seems to be a yesman to everyone these days - if he gets a co-credit, which, err, looks quite dumb

"Blue featuring Elton John"
    "2Pac featuring Elton John"
    "Ironik feat. Chipmunk AND Elton John"

where's the dignity?

wonder why this song never was released in the UK
    for some reason... I'm here

by » Mon May 4th, 2009, 04:23

Definitely one of Elton's finest moments. It's a shame so many people think of Elton as that boring old poof who does Disney songs and tributes to dead famous friends, totally missing that Elton was once one of the greatest artists of his day. Anyone who dismisses him for his later work and have never heard a note of Tumbleweed Connection, Honky Chateau (ok, they might know Rocket Man, but do they know Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters?) or Captain Fantastic doesn't know what they're missing.

Legend
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

by » Mon May 4th, 2009, 04:56

One of many great songs he did back in the 70's... definitely one of his finest periods ever.

Legend
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by » Mon May 4th, 2009, 06:49

Almost Famous got me into this- as well as the first Scissor Sisters' album- Mary is virtually the same sound. Nice fanmade Almost Famous video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htGM53qvGRA using the original footage.

According to Wiki it WAS a UK single but never charted- it only made #41 in the US. It was inbetween big hits Your Song and Rocket Man. Could have been the 6 minute running time that put radio off. The album Madman Across The Water is one of Elton's lowest chart placings ever (#41). And Elton said he barely played the song live until the 2000 film Almost Famous made it one his most requested songs in his set!

by » Mon May 4th, 2009, 07:47

It's interesting how chartwise, Elton was much much bigger in the US than UK in the 1970's, yet today Elton can still score top 10 singles there and he hasn't even made the hot 100 here since 2000.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Mon May 4th, 2009, 08:10

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    It's interesting how chartwise, Elton was much much bigger in the US than UK in the 1970's, yet today Elton can still score top 10 singles there and he hasn't even made the hot 100 here since 2000.
    Well, the reason why he has not made the charts in the US anymore is obviously his lack of airplay (he hasn't released anything there since 2006, when downloads really took off, has he?)
    As for the UK in the 70s, he did have a lot of hit singles and a #1 (with Kiki Dee) and I think his UK chart positions were "right" given the quality of some of his US #1s (never really got why Benny & The Jets and his LSD cover (for example)went all the way to #1 there).
    I think he still sold heaploads of LPs here at the time, though.
    Let's have a second referendum

Legend
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by » Mon May 4th, 2009, 08:23

He only makes our top ten through marketing "gimmicks"/ duets/ charity occasions (Sacrifice/ Are You Ready.../ Electricity/ Candle 97) or guest spots like Ironik, 2Pac, Blue etc.
    His last "real" top ten hit was I Want Love in 2001. And before that The One way back in 92 (both two of his best "modern" (post-90) songs).

For a long time in the eighties he was much bigger in the US than here. Between 1988's I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That (a US #2, UK #30), past A Word In Spanish (a US #19, UK #91(!)), and up to Club At The End Of The Street in 1990 he had a run of US hits that the UK didn't care about. Including Sacrifice and Healing Hands, which both flopped in the UK and only went to #1 after he went on TV making a statement about all future royalties going to AIDS charities. The two songs were put together as a AA side and "ker-ching!". Suddenly the UK liked him again. None of this mattered in the States where he was allowed to fade away naturally.

Legend
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by » Mon May 4th, 2009, 09:33

This explains how Electricity "conned" it's way into the UKtop ten from http://www.eltonfan.net/news/archive/ne ... -2005.html

"Upset about "Electricity" chart position
    Tuesday, July 19 2005

The UK sales reports mid of week 27 suggested that the chart-topper would be "Electricity" with Elton joining the elite list of acts to have replaced themselves at Number One.

“Electricity” did not reach the Number One. However, "Electricity" made headlines anyway as the Official Charts Company suggested looking at the chart rules because of the amazing 14,165 downloads, which “Electricity” generated.

According to several media reports credit for the high chart placing of "Electricity" must go to the huge amount of online sales it made.

The single is probably the biggest selling release so far to be available through Mercury records' own 7Digital site, which allows consumers to download the track directly from the website after purchasing a pin code via SMS.

The upset is caused by the fact that the pin is automatically issued to the competition entrant although this pin does not have to be used.

The Official Charts Company ruled On July 15, 2005 that the downloads figure based on issued pins would stand and count towards the position. However, they also promised to look at the chart rules because of the upset."

Our own col89 may or may not have caused inflated sales for Girls Aloud's Untouchable through another 7Digital gimmick last week! See their thread!
    It certainly could have helped Ironik's Tiny Dancer shoot up from #10 in the mids to #3. :-?

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

by » Mon May 4th, 2009, 14:14

It's a shame so many people think of Elton as that boring old poof who does Disney songs and tributes to dead famous friends
    That sentence is hilarious!

by » Mon May 4th, 2009, 20:28

Quote Originally Posted by JimJim
    It's a shame so many people think of Elton as that boring old poof who does Disney songs and tributes to dead famous friends
    lol, it is true tho. On another board, a younger poster who admittedly thinks of Elton John as the guy his mom listens to and only knew Crocodile Rock, Your Song and Don't Go Breaking My Heart from his "heyday" (basically the Elton John album through Blue Moves) was laughing at me for saying I like his old stuff, when I don't think if he knew songs like Burn Down The Mission, Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters and Someone Saved My Life Tonight, that he'd automatically consider Elton as cringeworthy.

I do think pretty much everything past 1978 was patchy (but the last three albums have been his best since the 70's IMO), but that 1970-1976 period of his was legendary and the reason he's still around and respected IMO.

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Tue May 5th, 2009, 10:20

Quote Originally Posted by JimJim
    lol, it is true tho. On another board, a younger poster who admittedly thinks of Elton John as the guy his mom listens to and only knew Crocodile Rock, Your Song and Don't Go Breaking My Heart from his "heyday" (basically the Elton John album through Blue Moves) was laughing at me for saying I like his old stuff, when I don't think if he knew songs like Burn Down The Mission, Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters and Someone Saved My Life Tonight, that he'd automatically consider Elton as cringeworthy.

I do think pretty much everything past 1978 was patchy (but the last three albums have been his best since the 70's IMO), but that 1970-1976 period of his was legendary and the reason he's still around and respected IMO.
    It's the same with so many similiar artists. You may only see them on charity singles and Parkinson nowadays that you wonder why they are actually famous for in the first place.

The problem with artists like Elton John, or Rod Stewart, Neil Young, Stevie Wonder etc is that they have such massive catalogues that folks don't initially always know where to start...execpt for a compilation. The second half half of a retrospective of any of the artists above is likely to be so naff that it could deter folks from investigating more. (N.Y. is a bit different - his entire career fluctuates from glorious hit to miserable miss - you just never know what the next will be.)

If there is an act I am curious about I invariably start here http://www.allmusic.com ...the other best music site on the web.

Legend
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

by » Sun January 28th, 2018, 00:25

The "Almost Famous" scene:

#41 on the Hot 100 in 1972 - wow

It was not a single in the UK?