Thread: The B-52's - Rock Lobster (1979)

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed May 13th, 2009, 01:43

Well, their most famous track (OK, 2nd most famous) and considering I have just been dancing around so much to it, the sweat dripping off me has caused my t-shirt to stick to my back, I thought I'd make a topic.

Since there's no official video, here it is Live in London in 2008. I was standing just below Kate on the 2nd row, and unfortunately the camera doesn't capture me dancing like an escaped mental patient.

Rock Lobster

I just love this song, one of those songs that the more I live the more I fall in love with it. The riff's, the squaking...it's magic. Everytime I play it, for ages afterwards I have that 'doo doo doo dododdodo do do' guitar riff in my head.

"There goes a dog-fish
    Chased by a cat-fish
    In flew a sea robin
    Watch out for that piranha
    There goes a narwhal
    Here comes a bikini whale!"
    Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

by » Wed May 13th, 2009, 01:49

great track, the whole debut album of theirs was very revolutionary and I can just imagine how it must've sounded in 1979-1980. I have to admit with the albums, I give Wild Planet a small edge over it though.

Legend
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

by » Wed May 13th, 2009, 05:53

A classic in ever way imaginable. Still one of their best to this day.

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:00

Quote Originally Posted by FreakyFlyBry
    A classic in ever way imaginable. Still one of their best to this day.
    Only peaked in UK seven years later- getting to #12 after stalling at 37 in 1979.

by » Wed May 13th, 2009, 23:34

what caused the resurgence in 1986 there? Sympathy over the death of Ricky Wilson who died in late 1985? Because in 1986, Bouncing Off The Satellites was their poorest selling US album comparatively speaking (even though IMO that was a shame since it was much better than Whammy and Good Stuff, and at the risk of sounding sacreligious, I like it as much as Cosmic Thing).

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Wed May 13th, 2009, 23:45

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    what caused the resurgence in 1986 there? Sympathy over the death of Ricky Wilson who died in late 1985? Because in 1986, Bouncing Off The Satellites was their poorest selling US album comparatively speaking (even though IMO that was a shame since it was much better than Whammy and Good Stuff, and at the risk of sounding sacreligious, I like it as much as Cosmic Thing).
    I think it was part of a marketing campaign by Island Records- who had just had a big hit with a reissue of Grace Jones' Pull Up To The Bumper (#53 in 1981, #12 in 1986). I think there was an Island Records compilation out that featured these songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UqKRGW6_rw

1979 live clip.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Thu May 14th, 2009, 00:20

I have to say over the last couple of years I've preferred the live version of Rock Lobster, there are many versions. The b&w videos from the 70's on youtube is just magic but the live version that was on the Juliet Of The Spirits Ep from 2008 is my most played.

I just think it sounds 'alive' and especially after being lucky enough to hear it live, it's just got this energy that works.

Always remember George sending me a video in 2003 pre youtube and in the 'down down' bit, they all fell down on stage.

by » Thu May 14th, 2009, 05:20

Quote Originally Posted by Skelofect
    Always remember George sending me a video in 2003 pre youtube and in the 'down down' bit, they all fell down on stage.
    I remember that. Incidentally, that was the video they'd play on MTV, since, as you already said, there is no official video.
    That performance from last year is amazing, they still got it! Kate's voice is unbelievable!

About the song... It's just epic, unique, a piece of progressive pop for the masses, superbly weird, random and funny, a true classic.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Fri June 12th, 2009, 23:01

Quote Originally Posted by Grybop
    That performance from last year is amazing, they still got it! Kate's voice is unbelievable!
    Rock. Lobster!

Just seen this. This performance from last month is even more amazing! I can't actually believe it! I love it once it starts getting towards the end and they dance like crazy & the camera being knocked about - so typical due to the dancing crazy to that song.

They never stop amazing me.

by » Mon June 22nd, 2009, 23:35

They're so great live. I hope it'll be a shorter wait this time for another album. Funplex IMO doesn't rank with their Ricky Wilson output but still was a welcome return and I certainly want more.

I come from the land of the ice and snow, From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Fri September 4th, 2009, 18:19

It is indeed a unique and cool song

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

by » Sat January 27th, 2018, 16:48

#37 in the UK
    #52 on the Hot 100 in 1980 (after first being released in 1978)

Legend
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

by » Sat January 27th, 2018, 19:25

You know what? I used to prefer Love Shack to this but now it’s the other way around. This song is excellent.

Legend
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)

by » Sat January 27th, 2018, 19:56

This song is perfect Love Shack is still my favourite though. Also love some other songs from them
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

by » Sun January 28th, 2018, 00:16

So much better than Love Shack IMO. It was nice they had their big pop moment in 1989-1990 but the first two albums are where its at. Love the energy and excitement to this song.