Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Jackson - HIStory

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sun July 5th, 2009, 13:16

Another marvelous MJ album and although it was nearly as good as any other of his previous albums it was lacking a bit of the FLARE of the others even though the TUNES were still very intact.

But someone please tell me why they haven't re-released the HIStory album on its own apart from its GH attached at the hip?? Surely it would just bring in more sales, I'm sure many casual MJ fans think it's just two disc GH set and don't know there's a totally different album on the second disc. Anyway, Stranger in Moscow is the clear winner of the album.

Legend
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

by » Sun July 5th, 2009, 13:21

No surprises here, but I absolutely love this album.

It features 3 of my favourite Michael Jackson songs - Scream, Stranger In Moscow and Earth Song.

"You Are Not Alone" is simply amazing too - MJ's vocals are brilliant on that one.

"They Don't Care About Us" (along with You Are Not Alone) ranks in my top 20 all-time favourite songs from Michael Jackson I think. Lyrically brilliant, I love to blare this song from my speakers.

Other highlights are of course "HIStory" (album version is the best) and "Tabloid Junkie" and "D.S."

I love the more edgier, rockier and angrier sounding MJ. This album is just classic for me.

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Sun July 5th, 2009, 18:59

Quote Originally Posted by Dreams
    Anyway, Stranger in Moscow is the clear winner of the album.
    Haven't heard the whole album but 'Stranger In Moscow' is my fave from the tunes that I have from it! It's BEAUTiful!
    My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sun July 5th, 2009, 22:59

The best compilation of him of course : the cover is fantastic, very impressive, the work of a perfect megalomania and I love that ! The tracklisting of the compilation volume is very good and the new songs are great, in particular Stranger In Moscow and Money !

by » Mon July 6th, 2009, 07:42

I do think the album suffers from MJ's insistance of filling the entire space of a cd, so there's a little bit of bloatedness to it. But regardless, I think it's incredibly underrated and there are a lot of great tracks here and are largely unheard when compared to the tracks off OTW, Thriller, Bad and Dangerous. I always thought highly of this album because you could tell MJ really was angry and had something to say after the fiasco of 1993. Earth Song IMO is my favorite of his "make the world a better place" ballads and was IMO his last masterpiece, Childhood is one of his most poignant numbers, and especially these days is a heartwrenching number, Stranger In Moscow is another one of his greats that by large seemed to fly under the radar when it came out.

I agree 100% with Dreams that they should reissue the second disc on its own much like they've reissued disc one, especially right now that everything MJ is red-hot and a lot of people don't want to pay double the price of a regular CD when they already own the tracks on disc one. In 1995 it made sense since there wasn't a MJ hits cd on the market at the time and a lot of people were still upgrading their old albums to CD, but in 2009, it hinders the "new" material from reaching a larger audience.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Wed April 3rd, 2013, 22:07

Great album. The last of his super massive records and contains real classics from my childhood, scream, earth song and you are not alone. His megalomania here didn't do anything to stop his detractors but when you've such absolute classics like they don't care about us does it matter?
    The Emancipation of Jack Daniels

Legend
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

by » Thu April 4th, 2013, 01:38

I really like this album, it got a lot of flak at the time by the regular press, but fans didn´t care much, and hey Scream was such an Event, like only the big names can provide

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by » Fri April 5th, 2013, 14:40

Great album, one of my favorites of the year. They Don't Care About Us and Earth Song are the highlights of the album IMO.

But the hits disc was unnecessary. I wonder if it had been as successful if it didn't include the old hits.

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

by » Sun April 7th, 2013, 20:33

It includes some of my all time Jacko ballads. You Are Not Alone, Little Susie and Smile.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Legend
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

by » Mon April 15th, 2013, 00:27

they don't care about us and stranger in moscow are 2 of my alltime favourite jackson songs. ooh and earth song... the album is really good.

by » Tue April 16th, 2013, 00:11

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Great album, one of my favorites of the year. They Don't Care About Us and Earth Song are the highlights of the album IMO.

But the hits disc was unnecessary. I wonder if it had been as successful if it didn't include the old hits.
    Well, the reason wasn't to put out a greatest hits as such, but simply a way to entice the public to buy his material after the 1993 debacle. I'm always sad it was labelled Vol. 1, and that we never got a 2nd volume.

I like the album, but I'm not a fan of its production. It was a definite evolution of what he started on Dangerous, but I'm not a fan of the harsh, unsympathetic sound found here on songs. I'm not really all that good with technical lingo, but there was something missing in the mix of each song - the songs are 'light' and have no depth sound wise.
    M08T10

Legend
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

by » Mon May 6th, 2013, 10:04

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy
    It includes some of my all time Jacko ballads. You Are Not Alone, Little Susie and Smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    Cuz you ugly and can't relate

by » Sat May 11th, 2013, 16:54

It was also MJ's only album with six top 5 UK singles.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2013, 22:50

Somedays I consider this as his best effort ever

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Wed May 15th, 2013, 21:55

Quote Originally Posted by Play
    Somedays I consider this as his best effort ever
    +1

HIStory was one of my favorite single from him

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sat May 18th, 2013, 01:24

The rawest Michael Jackson... it's pure emotion captured throughout the entire album. Even though this album isn't highly praised by the media, it's no disappointment to a true fan.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon May 27th, 2013, 17:54

I have a love/hate relationship with this album...when it's good, it's great...but when it's bad...it has some of the worst tracks he ever did.

Tracks like Childhood (and that video...OMG that video! ), You Are Not Alone (it's an R. Kelly song...not a MJ song lol), the unnecessary cover for Come Together, the verses from Tabloid Junkie and Little Susie are bad or tacky or simply ridiculous.
    I was also disappointed when he changed They Don't Care About Us because some people didn't get it...i hate that about an artist. Create your art and if someone doesn't like it, let them deal with it! Don't change anything! If you backtrack your decisions you'll look ridiculous!

But than we got his best tracks for me: Scream (my fav single from him), They Don't Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow, Earth Song (yeah "what about elephants, dogs, cats, giraffes, your granny" part included ). I also loved HIStory (song)...it's a mess, but a great one!
    Also Money...oh well it's 50/50 really.

I just don't like this "poor me" persona he created around this album in songs like Childhood. (i prefer the badass MJ from Scream) That's kinda the reason why the media never left him alone. The more you show yourself affected by something, the worse they will treat you! :-?
    "Your actions speak louder than promises/You're inclined to make and inclined to break"

by » Fri May 31st, 2013, 18:20

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoRodrigues
    I have a love/hate relationship with this album...when it's good, it's great...but when it's bad...it has some of the worst tracks he ever did.

Tracks like Childhood (and that video...OMG that video! ), You Are Not Alone (it's an R. Kelly song...not a MJ song lol), the unnecessary cover for Come Together, the verses from Tabloid Junkie and Little Susie are bad or tacky or simply ridiculous.
    I was also disappointed when he changed They Don't Care About Us because some people didn't get it...i hate that about an artist. Create your art and if someone doesn't like it, let them deal with it! Don't change anything! If you backtrack your decisions you'll look ridiculous!

But than we got his best tracks for me: Scream (my fav single from him), They Don't Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow, Earth Song (yeah "what about elephants, dogs, cats, giraffes, your granny" part included ). I also loved HIStory (song)...it's a mess, but a great one!
    Also Money...oh well it's 50/50 really.

I just don't like this "poor me" persona he created around this album in songs like Childhood. (i prefer the badass MJ from Scream) That's kinda the reason why the media never left him alone. The more you show yourself affected by something, the worse they will treat you! :-?
    I completely agree, although I quite like You Are Not Alone. I hate Childhood with a passion, and the reason he did Come Together was because he owned the rights to the song

But overall I don't like it because its not an album, but a bunch of songs. It's not as cohesive as his albums normally are, and possibly has quite a bit of filler - the first for an MJ album in that respect.

Really it needed something with a beat. It was missing a 'Black or White' or 'Unbreakable'.
    M08T10

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Sun June 9th, 2013, 10:08

interesting album. unusual combination of songs that I think are awesome and among his best (Earth Song, They Don `t Care About Us, Stranger in Moscow) and a few absolute fillers.
    Childhood ... I do not know how to relate to this song, but I have a friend who is very rock-oriented guy, who included the song on his list of the top 100 favorite songs ever, in fact it was the only song from Jackson and one of the 8-10 pop songs on that list.

I love Little Susie. gloomy and depressing masterpiece.

by » Sat December 23rd, 2017, 22:16

This record is so underrated. It's Michael's richest in emotion, and absolutely deserves more appraisal from the general public.

by » Sat December 23rd, 2017, 22:20

Also, Morphine from HIStory in the Mix might be my favourite Michael song. What a haunting, stunning masterpiece.

Manager
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by » Thu June 20th, 2019, 18:37

This masterpiece was released 24 years ago today.

- #1 in the US, 8x platinum
    - #1 in 20 other countries, Top 10 in 9 countries
    - spawned a #1 and a Top 5 hit
    - best selling double album of all time
    - $ 30 million were spent on promo
    - "Scream" won the Grammy for Best Music Video - Short Form
    - more than 28 million copies sold worldwide
    Last edited by JeremySpears; Thu June 20th, 2019 at 21:31.

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

by » Thu June 20th, 2019, 19:05

Really good album, I listen to this recently.
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?