Akini's Daily Top 20: #1 She's no Lauryn Hill...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSparksFan
    Moderator and Site Supporter
    • 24 Jul 2009

Originally posted by phoenix98
    Sounds like a pretty fabulous itinerary! This might be a stupid question, but do you mean friends from high school who are living in Canada now, or friends from high school will be travelling with you to Canada (before you ditch them to rendezvous with your sister in NYC?)
    The latter, bolded bit.

**Nod** It also seems like straight actors are sometimes automatically given a little TOO much credit for being "willing"/"brave enough" to play LGBTQ+ characters (as if even pretending to be one of us is such a huge sacrifice/threat to their career/etc.) Then again, as long as there's still actors who flat-out refuse to play LGBTQ+ characters in order to preserve their "Christian values" and whatnot, I guess the ones who ARE willing deserve at least a little credit for that "support"? Idk...
    No, they don't. You shouldn't be rewarded for not being a bigot. That's setting the bar way too low.

Thanks - and I totally agree with your bubble remark! Celebs can very easily surround themselves with "friends"/colleagues who are essentially just groupies/yes-men/etc. who will shower them with praise/acceptance no matter what they say/do. Or celebs can just hop on Twitter and instantly find (in some cases literally millions of) fans willing to vehemently defend them and dismiss anyone offering a conflicting perspective as "haters." Why bother trying to better yourself/broaden your mind when millions of people treat you like a god anyway?
    Exactly!

Ugh, YES! I'm getting a bit off-topic here, but that change REALLY screwed me over too, and partially influenced my decision not to post a full year-end countdown for 2017 (since I haven't found a comparable free alternative site for making banners and such.) :x :x :x
    I've been using Facebook as a hosting site. I just make the pictures visible to me only, create the albums (for YEC songs, YEC albums, YEC artists, etc.) and keep it moving. I use Paint to make banners.

Ooh, that's actually a new one on me! It looks like it was an iTunes Countdown single (leading into the album's release), but never got a full proper push? As I'm hearing it now for the first time, it's definitely a jam You were/are a pretty big fan of JHud, yeah? Or at least a few of her tunes...?
    Ooh, super glad to hear you like it! I am a fan of J-Hud's talent, and when she's given the right song, she's dangerous. "Where You At" was a pretty big hit on my charts.

I'd love to know if/when you do!
    I'll let you know! I have a suspicion that not only does it hold that specific record, but that there's a sizeable gap back to #2, too.

• Ha, truly shading 2017 by closing out the year (and ringing in 2018) with a classic from 2011-2012.
    Well, "Titanium" is among my Top 10 songs ever, so I wouldn't call this umpteenth "Titanium" wave 2017 shade. 2017 was a decent year in music for me.
    Akini's Tribute to Donna Summer [#6]
    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Beautiful Things
    AlbumClash 2.0 [Kylie Minogue vs. The Libertines]
    Retro AlbumClash 2.0 [Katy Perry vs. No Doubt]

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

• JSparksFan
      • 24 Jul 2009

Wednesday's Top 20 (January 3rd)

01.(01) David Guetta - Titanium (feat. Sia)
      02.(NE) Lorde - The Louvre (Highest Debut)
      03.(RE) David Guetta - Night of Your Life (feat. Jennifer Hudson) (Best Comeback)
      04.(RE) Foster the People - Pay the Man
      05.(RE) Ella Eyre - Comeback
      06.(RE) Sean Paul - Got 2 Luv U (feat. Alexis Jordan)
      07.(RE) George Michael - You Have Been Loved
      08.(RE) Madonna - Love Tried to Welcome Me
      09.(RE) Jessie Ware - Selfish Love
      10.(NE) Lorde - Sober
      11.(RE) Ariana Grande - Into You
      12.(NE) Lorde - Supercut
      13.(RE) Sia - Cheap Thrills
      14.(RE) Madonna - Miles Away
      15.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
      16.(RE) Katy Perry - Bigger Than Me
      17.(RE) Madonna - Jimmy Jimmy
      18.(RE) Rihanna - Man Down
      19.(RE) Whitney Houston - I Bow Out
      20.(RE) Frank Sinatra - My Way

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

• Mainshow
        Legend
        • 06 Apr 2012

Re: Akini's Daily Top 20: #1 All your bullets ricochet...

You seem to have kicked off 2018 with a classic and empowering anthem! - What a great way to celebrate the beginning of 2018! "Titanium" is great! - I also love Guetta's "Night Of Your Life". It's nice to see one the very few good and brilliant tracks by Sean Paul on your chart! - "Into You", "Delicate", "Miles Away" and YEEEEEEEEEEES "Bigger Than Me" are brilliant chocies as well!

Good chart!
        Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

• JSparksFan
          • 24 Jul 2009

Originally posted by Mainshow
          You seem to have kicked off 2018 with a classic and empowering anthem! - What a great way to celebrate the beginning of 2018! "Titanium" is great! - I also love Guetta's "Night Of Your Life". It's nice to see one the very few good and brilliant tracks by Sean Paul on your chart! - "Into You", "Delicate", "Miles Away" and YEEEEEEEEEEES "Bigger Than Me" are brilliant chocies as well!

Good chart!
          Yeah, "Titanium" is definitely one of my favourite songs of all-time. It's perhaps Top 5 at this point.

I feel like you were the one that got me into "Bigger Than Me," so thanks for that!

Comment

• JSparksFan
            • 24 Jul 2009

Thursday's Top 20 (January 4th)

01.(10) Lorde - Sober (Greatest Gainer)
            02.(RE) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B) (Best Comeback)
            03.(02) Lorde - The Louvre (Biggest Free Faller)
            04.(RE) Little Mix - Wings
            05.(RE) Lorde - Tennis Court
            06.(RE) Mariah Carey - Hero
            07.(12) Lorde - Supercut
            08.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite
            09.(RE) Sia - The Greatest (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
            10.(RE) Hurts - Wonderful Life
            11.(RE) Sia - Day Too Soon
            12.(RE) Miley Cyrus - The Climb
            13.(RE) Lorde - Royals
            14.(RE) Mary Mary - Shackles (Praise You)
            15.(RE) Natasha Bedingfield - Pocketful of Sunshine
            16.(RE) Lorde - Team
            17.(RE) Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley)
            18.(RE) G-Eazy - No Limit (feat. A$AP Rocky, Cardi B, French Montana, Juicy J, & Belly)
            19.(RE) Katy Perry - Rise
            20.(RE) Kylie Minogue - All the Lovers

Comment

• Spartan
              • 28 Feb 2009

Re: Akini's Daily Top 20: #1 My hips have missed your hips..

Literally haven’t listened to Aphrodite (song nor album) in years but it had a couple of bangers on it. Yay for Pocketful Of Sunshine, Natasha became a Mum the other day, that song always puts me in a summery mood!

Comment

• JSparksFan
                • 24 Jul 2009

Originally posted by Spartan
                Literally haven’t listened to Aphrodite (song nor album) in years but it had a couple of bangers on it. Yay for Pocketful Of Sunshine, Natasha became a Mum the other day, that song always puts me in a summery mood!
                Happy New Year, Pete!

The title track screams positivity and self-confidence. It's one of Kylie's finest songs. I follow Natasha on Facebook, so I knew she was pregnant, but I didn't know she'd given birth yet. Good for her. Hope her child is healthy and lets her get some decent hours of sleep.

"Pocketful of Sunshine" does the same for me. It's on a 'Lift Me Up' playlist that I go to when I have a rough work day.

Comment

• JSparksFan
                  • 24 Jul 2009

Friday's Top 20 (January 5th)

01.(01) Lorde - Sober
                  02.(02) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B)
                  03.(03) Lorde - The Louvre
                  04.(RE) Britney Spears - Hold It Against Me (Best Comeback)
                  05.(RE) Paramore - Brick by Boring Brick
                  06.(RE) Nicki Minaj - Super Bass
                  07.(RE) Girls Aloud - Untouchable
                  08.(RE) Beyoncé - Run the World (Girls)
                  09.(NE) Miguel - Come Through and Chill (feat. J. Cole) (Highest Debut)
                  10.(RE) Katy Perry - Roulette
                  11.(RE) Shania Twain - I'm Alright
                  12.(RE) Miguel - Sky Walker
                  13.(RE) Lana Del Rey - Love
                  14.(RE) Kanye West - Monster (feat. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Bon Iver, & Nicki Minaj)
                  15.(17) Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley) (Greatest Gainer)
                  16.(RE) Kesha - Rainbow
                  17.(RE) Paramore - Crushcrushcrush
                  18.(RE) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite
                  19.(RE) Ariana Grande - Moonlight
                  20.(RE) Paramore - Still into You

Comment

• crystalphoenix
                    Site Supporter
                    • 29 Nov 2007

Originally posted by JSparksFan
                    The latter, bolded bit.
                    Right on. So you'll have some friend time, some family time...and hopefully some f**king time too. ;) ;) ;)

No, they don't. You shouldn't be rewarded for not being a bigot. That's setting the bar way too low.
                    Ha, fair point. A part of me wants to acknowledge any positive/community-friendly behavior as a way to (ideally) encourage similar behavior in others...but I can see how being too quick to show gratitude/commendation sends the message that we don't automatically deserve that basic level of respect anyway (like everyone else.) I guess it's like thanking someone for greeting you with a handshake instead of a face-slap...

I've been using Facebook as a hosting site. I just make the pictures visible to me only, create the albums (for YEC songs, YEC albums, YEC artists, etc.) and keep it moving. I use Paint to make banners.
                    Ah, that Facebook workaround is really clever! Thanks! I might have underestimated Paint too (I don't think I've ever seriously explored/toyed around with it...)

Well, "Titanium" is among my Top 10 songs ever, so I wouldn't call this umpteenth "Titanium" wave 2017 shade. 2017 was a decent year in music for me.
                    Maybe I was a little too quick to see "Titanium"s latest achievement in a negative light. It was just somewhat surprising to find it on top at a time when year-end nostalgia is usually in full force. Granted, your very first No. 1 of 2016 was "Dancing Queen"...

01.(01) Lorde - Sober
                    02.(02) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B)
                    03.(03) Lorde - The Louvre
                    04.(RE) Britney Spears - Hold It Against Me (Best Comeback)
                    06.(RE) Nicki Minaj - Super Bass
                    07.(RE) Girls Aloud - Untouchable
                    08.(RE) Beyoncé - Run the World (Girls)
                    10.(RE) Katy Perry - Roulette
                    15.(17) Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley) (Greatest Gainer)
                    16.(RE) Kesha - Rainbow
                    18.(RE) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite
                    19.(RE) Ariana Grande - Moonlight
                    20.(RE) Paramore - Still into You
                    • On my first listen through "Sober", I'm a little let-down by the understated chorus after the catchy/hypnotic "but my hips have missed your hips..." pre-chorus. I can definitely see why you'd respect the lyrics in this one, though - some impactful, thought-provoking stuff (aka Lorde being Lorde.)
                    • I was hoping to see "Finesse" on top after I noticed you sharing some kind words over in its thread, but a chart run of 2-2 is still a VERY solid start! I hadn't been paying much attention to the 24K Magic era in a while (I'd already played "Versace" so much back when it was a promo single in late 2016 that I didn't really get back into it when it became the third official single, and I didn't even realize "Chunky" was a kinda-sorta-proper single until I was reading an article about the new version of "Finesse"), but this remix (and its video) have really put Bruno back on my brain!
                    • Lovin' the random "Rainbow" re-entry! Of the three recent pop-girls-go-rock/country-ish albums (Joanne, Rainbow, and Younger Now), I was the most pleasantly surprised by Rainbow.

Yet another intoxicating chart, Akini!
                    last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• JSparksFan
                      • 24 Jul 2009

Right on. So you'll have some friend time, some family time...and hopefully some f**king time too. ;) ;) ;)
                      I love your new avi! It's very weather-appropriate!

To complete the trinity of F's. You know, I still haven't arrived at that "Express Yourself"/"Honey" phase of my life. I'm more in a..."Fantasy" sort of period. In good time, though.

Ha, fair point. A part of me wants to acknowledge any positive/community-friendly behavior as a way to (ideally) encourage similar behavior in others...but I can see how being too quick to show gratitude/commendation sends the message that we don't automatically deserve that basic level of respect anyway (like everyone else.) I guess it's like thanking someone for greeting you with a handshake instead of a face-slap...
                      Precisely.

Ah, that Facebook workaround is really clever! Thanks! I might have underestimated Paint too (I don't think I've ever seriously explored/toyed around with it...)
                      Granted, my banners aren't anything special, but Paint is a fantastically simple tool for resizing, collage-ing, etc. It's so underrated. Even if it's not a big production, I'm curious to see what your year-end wrap-up looks like.

Maybe I was a little too quick to see "Titanium"s latest achievement in a negative light. It was just somewhat surprising to find it on top at a time when year-end nostalgia is usually in full force. Granted, your very first No. 1 of 2016 was "Dancing Queen"...
                      Year-end nostalgia doesn't always prevail. Other January 1 chart-toppers have been: "Firework" (New Year's-appropriate anthem), "Poison" (WTF was going on with me then...but I guess it is a low-key bop, though I have to class it as a random discovery), "Just a Fool" (year-end countdown effect), "Pretty Hurts," (year-end countdown effect), and "I'm Alive" (New Year's-appropriate anthem). So the only outlier is "Poison" really.

• On my first listen through "Sober", I'm a little let-down by the understated chorus after the catchy/hypnotic "but my hips have missed your hips..." pre-chorus. I can definitely see why you'd respect the lyrics in this one, though - some impactful, thought-provoking stuff (aka Lorde being Lorde.)
                      "Sober" is a winner more for its eclectic, experimental, but punchy pop production, and clever intonation inserts, than its admittedly fantastic lyrical content. I think it's the best Melodrama song by some margin. It just may be her best song yet actually! It's definitely worth a revisit, I can assure you.

• I was hoping to see "Finesse" on top after I noticed you sharing some kind words over in its thread, but a chart run of 2-2 is still a VERY solid start! I hadn't been paying much attention to the 24K Magic era in a while (I'd already played "Versace" so much back when it was a promo single in late 2016 that I didn't really get back into it when it became the third official single, and I didn't even realize "Chunky" was a kinda-sorta-proper single until I was reading an article about the new version of "Finesse"), but this remix (and its video) have really put Bruno back on my brain!
                      Well, "Finesse" is already a #1 hit here, after peaking there on December 9, 2016. The remix 'should' have rocketed the song back to the top, but Lorde is a massive force right now, so she'll be keeping folks at bay for the foreseeable future. I am pleased with the remix, though. The original, for me, is still superior - it was my initial favourite 24K Magic track, and its parent album was my #2 LP of 2016, behind only the masterpiece that is Lemonade - but the remix is solid, and gives the song a fresh, perhaps even cooler, slant that I can appreciate. The video is disgustingly 90s, and so much fun to watch!

• Lovin' the random "Rainbow" re-entry! Of the three recent pop-girls-go-rock/country-ish albums (Joanne, Rainbow, and Younger Now), I was the most pleasantly surprised by Rainbow.
                      Well, Younger Now is barely music, so I get that, but Joanne is really impressive, so Rainbow is relegated to the middle for me.

Comment

• JSparksFan
                        • 24 Jul 2009

Saturday's Top 20 (January 6th)

01.(01) Lorde - Sober
                        02.(NE) Justin Timberlake - Filthy (Highest Debut)
                        03.(NE) Kylie Minogue - Butterfly
                        04.(03) Lorde - The Louvre
                        05.(RE) Céline Dion - I'm Alive (Best Comeback)
                        06.(RE) Sam Smith - Him
                        07.(RE) Kylie Minogue - On a Night Like This
                        08.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Please Stay
                        09.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Your Disco Needs You
                        10.(NE) Kylie Minogue - So Now Goodbye
                        11.(02) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B) (Biggest Free Faller)
                        12.(RE) Lorde - Writer in the Dark
                        13.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
                        14.(RE) Harry Styles - Sign of the Times
                        15.(RE) Portugal. The Man - So Young
                        16.(RE) Lorde - Supercut
                        17.(RE) Sam Smith - Pray
                        18.(18) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite
                        19.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Spinning Around
                        20.(NE) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama)

Comment

• Phoenixx
                          Legend
                          • 03 Apr 2012

02.(NE) Justin Timberlake - Filthy (Highest Debut)
                          03.(NE) Kylie Minogue - Butterfly
                          09.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Your Disco Needs You
                          11.(02) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B) (Biggest Free Faller)
                          13.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
                          16.(RE) Lorde - Supercut
                          18.(18) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite
                          Great to see JTs new Song at #02 debuting!

Comment

• JSparksFan
                            • 24 Jul 2009

Originally posted by Phoenixx
                            Great to see JTs new Song at #02 debuting!
                            It's that high because of the review I wrote for it. I typically play songs as I review them, so JT's 'airplay' was extraordinarily high yesterday. The song isn't that bad, though. It's at least better than "Suit & Tie".

Comment

• JSparksFan
                              • 24 Jul 2009

Sunday's Top 20 (January 7th)

01.(01) Lorde - Sober
                              02.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Crystallize (Best Comeback)
                              03.(NE) Lorde - Liability (Reprise) (Highest Debut)
                              04.(04) Lorde - The Louvre
                              05.(RE) Lorde - Green Light
                              06.(RE) Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes
                              07.(RE) Nancy Sinatra - I Can't Grow Peaches on a Cherry Tree
                              08.(NE) Stevie Wonder - Living for the City
                              09.(NE) Lorde - Liability
                              10.(RE) Taylor Swift - Getaway Car
                              11.(18) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (Greatest Gainer)
                              12.(08) Kylie Minogue - Please Stay (Biggest Free Faller)
                              13.(RE) Rita Ora - Anywhere
                              14.(RE) Lorde - Tennis Court
                              15.(RE) ABBA - Head Over Heels
                              16.(RE) Imagine Dragons - Thunder
                              17.(RE) Childish Gambino - Redbone
                              18.(20) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama)
                              19.(RE) Ed Sheeran - Shape of You
                              20.(RE) Miley Cyrus - Malibu

Comment

• JSparksFan
                                • 24 Jul 2009

Monday's Top 20 (January 8th)

01.(18) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama) (Greatest Gainer)
                                02.(11) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (feat. SZA, Khalid, & Post Malone)
                                03.(01) Lorde - Sober
                                04.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate (Best Comeback)
                                05.(04) Lorde - The Louvre
                                06.(03) Lorde - Liability (Reprise)
                                07.(RE) Mariah Carey - Stay the Night
                                08.(RE) Lil Kim - No Matter What They Say
                                09.(02) Kylie Minogue - Crystallize (Biggest Free Faller)
                                10.(RE) Madonna - The Power of Goodbye
                                11.(RE) Sam Smith - Him
                                12.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - I Had a Dream
                                13.(08) Stevie Wonder - Living for the City
                                14.(RE) Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
                                15.(RE) David Bowie - Space Oddity
                                16.(RE) Zayn - Like I Would
                                17.(RE) Charli XCX - Boys
                                18.(RE) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B)
                                19.(RE) Lorde - Writer in the Dark
                                20.(RE) Madonna - Rain

Comment

• JSparksFan
                                  • 24 Jul 2009

Tuesday's Top 20 (January 9th)

01.(01) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama)
                                  02.(RE) Lady Gaga - The Cure (Best Comeback)
                                  03.(RE) Christina Aguilera - Get Mine, Get Yours
                                  04.(03) Lorde - Sober
                                  05.(RE) Tina Turner - Till the Right Man Comes Along
                                  06.(02) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (feat. SZA, Khalid, & Post Malone)
                                  07.(RE) Zayn - Dusk Till Dawn (feat. Sia)
                                  08.(11) Sam Smith - Him (Greatest Gainer)
                                  09.(05) Lorde - The Louvre
                                  10.(RE) Jorja Smith - Teenage Fantasy
                                  11.(RE) Zayn - TIO
                                  12.(04) Taylor Swift - Delicate (Biggest Free Faller)
                                  13.(RE) Mariah Carey - Underneath the Stars
                                  14.(RE) Kygo & Selena Gomez - It AIn't Me
                                  15.(RE) Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
                                  16.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana
                                  17.(RE) Rae Morris - Do It
                                  18.(13) Stevie Wonder - Living for the City
                                  19.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Butterfly
                                  20.(RE) Rihanna - Diamonds

Comment

• JSparksFan
                                    • 24 Jul 2009

Wednesday's Top 20 (January 10th)

01.(06) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (feat. Khalid, SZA, & Post Malone) (Greatest Gainer)
                                    02.(RE) Fuel - Haemorrhage (In My Hands) (Best Comeback)
                                    03.(NE) Rina Sawayama - Cyber Stockholm Syndrome (Highest Debut)
                                    04.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
                                    05.(RE) Shania Twain - I'm Alright
                                    06.(01) Lorde - Sober (Melodrama) (Biggest Free Faller)
                                    07.(RE) Harry Styles - Sign of the Times
                                    08.(04) Lorde - Sober
                                    09.(NE) Outkast - Hey Ya!
                                    10.(RE) Selena Gomez & the Scene - Love You Like a Love Song
                                    11.(NE) Outkast - Roses
                                    12.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft
                                    13.(RE) Miley Cyrus - Thinkin'
                                    14.(RE) Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime
                                    15.(RE) Shania Twain - That Don't Impress Me Much
                                    16.(RE) Meghan Trainor - All About That Bass
                                    17.(RE) Shania Twain - Poor Me
                                    18.(RE) Girls Aloud - Untouchable
                                    19.(RE) All Saints - One Strike
                                    20.(RE) Rita Ora - Poison

Comment

• JSparksFan
                                      • 24 Jul 2009

Thursday's Top 20 (January 11th)

01.(08) Lorde - Sober (Greatest Gainer)
                                      02.(RE) Mariah Carey - The Beautiful Ones (feat. Dru Hill) (Best Comeback)
                                      03.(01) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (feat. SZA, Khalid, & Post Malone)
                                      04.(06) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama)
                                      05.(NE) Troye Sivan - My My My! (Highest Debut)
                                      06.(RE) Bruno Mars - Finesse
                                      07.(RE) Ciara - Dance Like We're Making Love
                                      08.(RE) Childish Gambino - Redbone
                                      09.(RE) Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad
                                      10.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
                                      11.(RE) Niall Horan - Slow Hands
                                      12.(RE) Auli'i Cravalho - How Far I'll Go
                                      13.(RE) Céline Dion - I'm Alive
                                      14.(RE) Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want
                                      15.(RE) Madonna - Rain
                                      16.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
                                      17.(RE) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
                                      18.(RE) Rihanna - Te Amo
                                      19.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana
                                      20.(RE) Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come

Comment

• crystalphoenix
                                        Site Supporter
                                        • 29 Nov 2007

I love your new avi! It's very weather-appropriate!

To complete the trinity of F's. You know, I still haven't arrived at that "Express Yourself"/"Honey" phase of my life. I'm more in a..."Fantasy" sort of period. In good time, though.
                                        Many thanks!

Ha, nOoOoOoOoOoO rush, then! That's a perfectly pleasant period to be in (and the anticipation can sometimes be better than the actual end product anyway.) I just hope you can achieve maximum satisfaction from this vacation in whatever ways suit you best.

Granted, my banners aren't anything special, but Paint is a fantastically simple tool for resizing, collage-ing, etc. It's so underrated. Even if it's not a big production, I'm curious to see what your year-end wrap-up looks like.
                                        Although I think you're selling your banner-making-skills a bit short, your write-ups are so epic that any accompanying visuals are a mere cherry on top. I've definitely been guilty of under-rating Paint, so kudos for giving it a proper chance and educating the rest of us on what we've been missing! I'm truly touched by the interest...but I don't plan on doing any year-end posts for 2017 I did take a glance at yours the other day, and added "Redbone" to my library as a result!

Year-end nostalgia doesn't always prevail. Other January 1 chart-toppers have been: "Firework" (New Year's-appropriate anthem), "Poison" (WTF was going on with me then...but I guess it is a low-key bop, though I have to class it as a random discovery), "Just a Fool" (year-end countdown effect), "Pretty Hurts," (year-end countdown effect), and "I'm Alive" (New Year's-appropriate anthem). So the only outlier is "Poison" really.
                                        As in Nicole Scherzinger's "Poison"? I mean, it's a pretty random New Year's entry, but definitely a jam (though it was "Don't Hold Your Breath" that really sold me on her as a solo act, after spending years resenting her for causing the premature downfall of PCD...)

"Sober" is a winner more for its eclectic, experimental, but punchy pop production, and clever intonation inserts, than its admittedly fantastic lyrical content. I think it's the best Melodrama song by some margin. It just may be her best song yet actually! It's definitely worth a revisit, I can assure you.
                                        Lord(e) knows you were spot-on with "A World Alone", so I've just added "Sober" to my library in order to give it at least a couple more proper listens in the coming days...

Well, "Finesse" is already a #1 hit here, after peaking there on December 9, 2016. The remix 'should' have rocketed the song back to the top, but Lorde is a massive force right now, so she'll be keeping folks at bay for the foreseeable future. I am pleased with the remix, though. The original, for me, is still superior - it was my initial favourite 24K Magic track, and its parent album was my #2 LP of 2016, behind only the masterpiece that is Lemonade - but the remix is solid, and gives the song a fresh, perhaps even cooler, slant that I can appreciate. The video is disgustingly 90s, and so much fun to watch!
                                        I'm a little surprised that Cardi's contributions + the video weren't enough to elevate this version above the original for you - but I'd definitely forgotten that you felt so strongly about the original in the first place. and since it had more than a year's head-start to firmly secure a place in your heart, I can understand how any new version would've had to REALLY deliver something special to overcome that.

ell, Younger Now is barely music, so I get that, but Joanne is really impressive, so Rainbow is relegated to the middle for me.
                                        So I guess you got around to giving that one a listen...and it made a less-than-favorable impression?

I mean, I wasn't too impressed either (it's easily my least favorite of those three), but I'm sorry to hear that Miley disappointed you THAT drastically!

01.(08) Lorde - Sober (Greatest Gainer)
                                        02.(RE) Mariah Carey - The Beautiful Ones (feat. Dru Hill) (Best Comeback)
                                        05.(NE) Troye Sivan - My My My! (Highest Debut)
                                        06.(RE) Bruno Mars - Finesse
                                        08.(RE) Childish Gambino - Redbone
                                        09.(RE) Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad
                                        10.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
                                        11.(RE) Niall Horan - Slow Hands
                                        12.(RE) Auli'i Cravalho - How Far I'll Go
                                        14.(RE) Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want
                                        15.(RE) Madonna - Rain
                                        16.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
                                        17.(RE) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
                                        18.(RE) Rihanna - Te Amo
                                        19.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana
                                        • For a long time, I'd considered "The Beautiful Ones" the closest thing to a mis-step/skippable moment on Butterfly (its length being a big factor, but I probably still would've found it too dull even edited down)...but I should see if I'd feel any differently today. I can't remember the last time I played through that iconic album from start to finish.
                                        • I gave "My My My!" a very quick listen earlier today, and it sounded pretty promising! Another tune that I just added to my library.
                                        • Cardi ommission aside, I'm not picking up on many differences in the original "Finesse." The backing vocals sound different at parts (and Cardi’s taken charge of the "we got it goin' on..." bit), but the production seems nearly identical throughout? Granted, not that that's a bad thing, since it means both versions sound equally fabulous to my ears! Unsurprisingly, you made a great pick for the 24K Magic standout.
                                        • Nice to see some confirmation of the encouraging words you shared about "Delicate" over in my thread!
                                        • I'll never get completely over "Te Amo" being passed over in favor of "Rockstar 101" in the US. SMH.

Yet another clear-headed chart, Akini!
                                        last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

• JSparksFan
                                          • 24 Jul 2009

Ha, nOoOoOoOoOoO rush, then! That's a perfectly pleasant period to be in (and the anticipation can sometimes be better than the actual end product anyway.) I just hope you can achieve maximum satisfaction from this vacation in whatever ways suit you best.
                                          That's the goal.

Although I think you're selling your banner-making-skills a bit short, your write-ups are so epic that any accompanying visuals are a mere cherry on top. I've definitely been guilty of under-rating Paint, so kudos for giving it a proper chance and educating the rest of us on what we've been missing! I'm truly touched by the interest...but I don't plan on doing any year-end posts for 2017 I did take a glance at yours the other day, and added "Redbone" to my library as a result!
                                          Aw, you've always been so sweet about my write-ups. Thanks! <3

"Redbone" meant a lot to me, so I was grateful that people were able to appreciate the song on some level. I'm elated that you've added it to your library, and I hope it resonates with you to some degree.

Boo at you not making any 2017 year-end lists! I was looking forward to the K-pop jams.

As in Nicole Scherzinger's "Poison"? I mean, it's a pretty random New Year's entry, but definitely a jam (though it was "Don't Hold Your Breath" that really sold me on her as a solo act, after spending years resenting her for causing the premature downfall of PCD...)
                                          Yeah, Nicole's "Poison" is so catchy and fun! It's basic, but good basic. I don't think "Don't Hold Your Breath" is as punchy/snappy.

PCD were a pretty bleh girls group anyway. They did deliver some bangers during their time together, though: "Don't Cha," "Buttons," "I Hate This Part".

Lord(e) knows you were spot-on with "A World Alone", so I've just added "Sober" to my library in order to give it at least a couple more proper listens in the coming days...
                                          Clever!

Hope you fall for "Sober"!

I'm a little surprised that Cardi's contributions + the video weren't enough to elevate this version above the original for you - but I'd definitely forgotten that you felt so strongly about the original in the first place. and since it had more than a year's head-start to firmly secure a place in your heart, I can understand how any new version would've had to REALLY deliver something special to overcome that.
                                          Yeah, the thing about remixes of songs that are already fantastic is that same bit I bolded. Britney's contribution to the "S&M" rihmix was fantastic, no doubt, but not fantastic enough to eclipse the already phenomenal original cut. I absolutely love Cardi B's look in the video, and she and Bruno are a winning pair in the clip, but I care more about the music itself than accompanying visuals (even solid ones). The song didn't really need a remix, in my opinion. It's like Beyoncé on "Perfect". Star power may help the song's commercial success, but if it's great in its solo version, you have to really be patient and work hard to come up with something to elevate it. #endoframblewithasinglepoint

So I guess you got around to giving that one a listen...and it made a less-than-favorable impression?

I mean, I wasn't too impressed either (it's easily my least favorite of those three), but I'm sorry to hear that Miley disappointed you THAT drastically!
                                          Yeah, it's Miley, so I had to check it out. I don't regret that I did, but, damn, it was bad.

• For a long time, I'd considered "The Beautiful Ones" the closest thing to a mis-step/skippable moment on Butterfly (its length being a big factor, but I probably still would've found it too dull even edited down)...but I should see if I'd feel any differently today. I can't remember the last time I played through that iconic album from start to finish.
                                          Oh my! I was thinking about how Butterfly is probably my favourite album of all-time, and "The Beautiful Ones" holds a really special place on that very special record. The ad-libs are phenomenal, but the emotion, Paul! I feel her despair, every ounce of it. The insecurity (Don't my kisses please you right?), the vulnerability (If I told you baby, that I was in love with you), the almost delusional optimism (If we get married, would that be cool?), and the inevitability of being a victim of a cyclical pattern of self-initiated heartbreak (You were so hard to find + the beautiful ones, they hurt you every time). The first four minutes and 20 seconds are merely preamble to the big Do you want me/I want you declaration. And the conclusion that the beautiful ones, they hurt you every time is one that I'm finding is true to a terrifying extent. It's so, so good. There are few songs where Mariah conveys such strong emotion so brilliantly and palpably. I really need to do another Mimi tribute. I know I gave that one a ridiculous ranking six years ago.

• I gave "My My My!" a very quick listen earlier today, and it sounded pretty promising! Another tune that I just added to my library.
                                          The video is lovely, too! Be sure to check it out.

• Cardi ommission aside, I'm not picking up on many differences in the original "Finesse." The backing vocals sound different at parts (and Cardi’s taken charge of the "we got it goin' on..." bit), but the production seems nearly identical throughout? Granted, not that that's a bad thing, since it means both versions sound equally fabulous to my ears! Unsurprisingly, you made a great pick for the 24K Magic standout.
                                          The bridge/hook (Fellas, grab your ladies if your lady fine...) is glossier on the remix, and I don't like the added gloss. To be fair, if the original version is a 10/10, the remix is probably a 9.2/10. It's not a big step-down, so I genuinely appreciate both.

• Nice to see some confirmation of the encouraging words you shared about "Delicate" over in my thread!
                                          I come around to your favourites more often than not.

• I'll never get completely over "Te Amo" being passed over in favor of "Rockstar 101" in the US. SMH.
                                          Which RiRi do you think America was more ready to embrace: sexuality experimentation Rihanna or straightforward, catchy pop/rock Rihanna? Homegirl had to think with her coins in mind!

Comment

Working...