Thread: Michelle Williams

Legend
    So when I see you, say "Hey, hey, hey daddy"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 02:01

Michelle Williams, one third of on-hiatus R&B trio Destiny's Child, is currently in London playing Roxie Hart in Chicago. Whilst a reissue of her last record Unexpected is on the cards, she has also begun working on her next studio record.

As most people will know, Michelle is (mis-)managed by Matthew Knowles' Music World Management. She is signed to Columbia both as part of Destiny's Child and as a solo artist. Her first two solo records, Heart To Yours and Do You Know were released through Sanctuary/Columbia, topping Gospel and Contemporary Christian charts and selling a combined 350,000 in the US alone. Her third solo record, Unexpected, was released through Music World/Columbia and sold 54,000 worldwide.

In addition to Chicago, she has also previously starred in The Color Purple and Aida, and made small participations on some US TV series. According to recent interview with That Grape Juice, she has also been meetinng with a movie producer and is looking at some scripts.

Today she was out with infamous record producer Quincy Jones and his girlfriend fashion designer Heba Elawadi, and is set to work with Amadeus, a producer recently signed to Bad Boy. Her next album most likely will be in the same mainstream radio-ready vein as Unexpected, and I wouldn't be surprised if she worked with some of the same people. Prior to Unexpected, she worked on an album called Phoenix, which was along a more traditional R&B/Soul/Inspirational route. Although Phoenix was shelved Michelle has hinted in the past that she could, potentially, put it out at any time. She has also recorded a duet with Ultra Nate which is, as of yet, unreleased. Furthermore, she recorded some new tracks for the US re-release of Unexpected, so between these new tracks and the unused Phoenix tracks she could very well be only a few tracks away from having enough material for her 4th album.

Personally I love Michelle, she's got the full package - she can sing, she can act, she can dance, she writes songs, she's sweet, likeable, sexy, sassy, vibrant. I support her 100% and can't wait for whatever's next!
    Hater-bitch, we're taking you to the left.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 02:06

Who is still funding her? Go back to gospel or just give it up.
    I'm gonna do you like drugs tonight...

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 05:27

54k worlwide of "Unexpected" such an amazing album would deserve like 2M copies at least, damn!!! I wonder i'm the only person here in the Czech republic who purchased the album

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 05:37

I loved "Unexpected" but i think Michelle is flat lining in "nice" and "sweet". A major part of Beyonce's draw is the whole "Sasha Fierce" persona and the sexuality it exudes and even Kelly's biggest hits have branched out from the DC sound to embrace different themes and sounds. I'd LOVE Michelle to come back with something truely shocking (in a good way) so that people will finally sit up and take notice of her as a soloist instead of "that other one from DC3" but she needs the label and her management behind her which I can't really see happening while she still has associations with World Music.
    Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 06:29

Quote Originally Posted by tada
    54k worlwide of "Unexpected" such an amazing album would deserve like 2M copies at least, damn!!! I wonder i'm the only person here in the Czech republic who purchased the album
    I have the album, but it´s not that great ...
    nekoo.cz - follow me

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 06:35

Quote Originally Posted by Baditude
    Who is still funding her? Go back to gospel or just give it up.
    I hope your happy now

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 06:50

That Grape Juice interviews Michelle Williams:

http://www.thatgrapejuice.net/2009/08/t ... helle.html

That Grape Juice caught up with Michelle Williams last week here in London, backstage at 'Chicago' - the award winning West End theatre production the 29 year old is currently starring in. A great of That Grape Juice's, Michelle chats with us about her role as Roxy Hart in 'Chicago', the performance of her 'Unexpected' album, Kelly leaving 'the nest', hair weave and so much more. A great watch, I must say. Michelle is hilarious! Enjoy!

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 10:46

People are just not checking for her but she released a veryyyyy solid record! I wish her the best, I feel so sorry for her. :x

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 10:51

She could do with finding her own sound, something in the middle of Urban and gospel I think. I hope she gets success one day, because she's a talent, and It annoys me that she gets blanked when Beyonce gets bowed down to as some sort of Goddess.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 11:02

No that definitely NOT the point. We always want to blame it on not having your own sound, thats so not true we should just face it that NOBODY cares about her. If there's someone to blame, I blame her label.
    Solange came with a unique and own sound, well she FLOPPED BIG TIME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 11:12

OK seriously she deserves more success than this. A first single kind of "The Greatest" would be amazing!

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 11:53

Quote Originally Posted by abi
    OK seriously she deserves more success than this. A first single kind of "The Greatest" would be amazing!
    The Greatest is one of my all-time fave songs, so sad it flopped.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 12:58

If this is anything like Unexpected.. I am EXPECTING a marvelous album!!! Unexpected was my favorite album of last year!

Also cannot wait for the Jazz/Hip Hop infused Remix album! The snippets on her Myspace are incredible!!

Michelle has superb vision and taste!!
    Representing the real truth in music....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-08-09, 14:33

Great interview from TGJ!

I love UNEXPECTED. I like the mixture of Dance, Pop & R&B. Very disappointing it didn't sell that much.
    I'm looking forward to the re-release with remixes and the Ultra Naté and Calvin Harris duets

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-08-09, 07:56

I've come to terms with the fact that she most likely will never have even half the success she deserves... . As long as she keeps putting music out, I will be supporting her! And if others ignore her - well, bad for them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-08-09, 09:49

I really want her to have success...The Greatest was the best song of the album...And I am probably the only one who bought her album here in Italy
    BEYONCE 120.000.000 Records Worldwide

Beyoncé is Billboard Female Artist of the Decade!

Legend
    So when I see you, say "Hey, hey, hey daddy"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-08-09, 12:11

I wouldn't call it a day on Michelle's career just yet.

Keri Hilson, Lady Gaga, Kesha, and many other artists, lived in obscurity and struggled for years on end writing songs and demos which they then fought to sell onto other artists, in order to make ends meet and build up their reputation, before finally being picked up and blowing up. Jonas Brothers and Katy Perry had flop albums before making big time, and so did many other big names.

It only takes one little thing to send a person's career into orbit. One big name collaboration, one scandal, one movie role, one TV role, the use of one song in one popular commercial or soundtrack, a good viral video campaign, etc etc, can make an unknown into an A-lister almost overnight.

And Michelle is no unknown. She has been in the business a while now, has a record deal, a managament deal, has worked with big name producers, and knows alot of important people. She has also invested in her acting and is slowly but surely building up a very credible curriculum vitae in that field. If she continues to make mainstream music, the next Destiny's Child reunion could very easily provide the launching pad for chart success. In fact, I actually think that whenever a DC3 reunion does occur (hopefully sooner rather than later) ALOT of old and new DC fans alike will end up picking up Unexpected. And even withouot a DC3 reunion, all she needs is the "right" song to break US radio, which isn't impossible considering the radio-ready sound of most Unexpected tracks and the calibre of producers she is hooking up with.

I think it is utterly stupid to say "oh well, whatever Michelle does, people just aren't interested". That is just ridiculous. Its not like the public has some vendetta against Michelle and has decided that they don't like her and won't support her career. The problem is that the general public as a whole has no idea wtf Michelle Williams is. Many people who heard WBTD and Unexpected loved it, and even her gospel albums were big sellers in that genre. So all she needs is to make herself known, get herself out there, with the right song, album, image, packaging and marketing, and she will hit the big time.
    Hater-bitch, we're taking you to the left.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-08-09, 14:41

From her Twitter:

I got some gooooooooooooooood news yesterday!! Of course I like to tease u guys! I'll share when the papers r signed!!! LOL!!!
    Whatever it is, I'm really happy 4 her!!

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-08-09, 14:52

The leading role in a big screen musical adaptation? *fingers crossed*

Oh, whatever it is, I'm happy for her.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-08-09, 14:54

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLinda
    The leading role in a big screen musical adaptation? *fingers crossed*

Oh, whatever it is, I'm happy for her.
    LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-08-09, 15:22

Yay! I hope it's more in the vien of the last album again. Loved it so much! Shudda been massive!

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-08-09, 15:27

Unexpected is one of the best pop albums ever. Shes so amazing.
    CALL ME CALICE, CALL ME COLD. YOU'RE ITALIC, I'M IN BOLD.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-08-09, 15:33

I hope this is another good album. I don't even care for success, although it would be nice.
    IMO "Unexpected" is the best Destiny's Child project (solo or as a group). The only album I can listen to from start to finish without skipping.

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 28-08-09, 01:46

Hopefully she's signed with another management company, lol.
    Any news is good news as far as Michelle is concerned. She seems excited about it which is awesome. We'll have to wait see what's coming next.
    Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 28-08-09, 07:42

She has no place in music now, Kelly Rowland went disco - europpean style and she's done great... she's so cool and looks flawless.

Bee = Legend in the making, no question... but Michelle? What can she do? Damn, just give up MICHELLE