User Tag List

Page 106 of 107 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107 LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 2672

Thread: Paulboard Top 30 | 02.15.19 | a whole lot of baggage...

Manager
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 08-01-19, 02:16

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix98
    40.) "HEAD ABOVE WATER" | Avril Lavigne | 131pts
    35.) "GIRL OF THE YEAR" | Allie X | 134pts
    31.) "N'OUBLIE PAS" | Mylène Farmer ft. LP | 137pts
    28.) "LITTLE THINGS" | Allie X | 141pts
    11.) "DELICATE" | Taylor Swift | 202pts | No. 24 of 2017
    07.) "GTFO" | Mariah Carey | 224pts
    04.) "DANCING" | Kylie Minogue | 251pts
    03.) "NO TEARS LEFT TO CRY" | Ariana Grande | 252pts
    01.) "STOP ME FROM FALLING" | Kylie Minogue | 311pts
    Great to see all these on your end of year list. Especially the Mylène and Allie X tracks!
    I enjoyed following your chart in 2018 and will continue to do so this year

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 08-01-19, 11:13

Paulboard Top 50 of 2018

50.) "EVERY LITTLE PART OF ME" | Kylie Minogue | 117pts
    49.) "BACKSEAT" | Charli XCX ft. Carly Rae Jepsen | 119pts
    48.) "GET OUT" | CHVRCHES | 120pts
    46.) "ALL I AM" | Jess Glynne | 122pts
    45.) "NEVER SAY DIE" | CHVRCHES | 122pts
    44.) "SINCERELY YOURS" | Kylie Minogue | 123pts
    42.) "MAKE THEM GOLD" | CHVRCHES | 129pts
    41.) "DON’T LEAVE ME ALONE" | David Guetta ft. Anne-Marie | 129pts
    39.) "MAKE ME FEEL" | Janelle Monáe | 131pts
    38.) "DIRTY COMPUTER" | Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 132pts
    36.) "PYNK" | Janelle Monáe ft. Grimes | 133pts
    34.) "LOVE" | Kylie Minogue | 134pts
    33.) "SOLO" | Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 134pts
    32.) "HIGH HORSE" | Kacey Musgraves | 135pts
    30.) "A NO NO" | Mariah Carey | 139pts
    29.) "CLEAREST BLUE" | CHVRCHES | 140pts
    27.) "THE MIDDLE" | Zedd ft. Maren Morris & Grey | 148pts
    26.) "BACK TO YOU" | Selena Gomez | 151pts
    23.) "I LIKE THAT" | Janelle Monáe | 155pts
    22.) "A LIFETIME TO REPAIR" | Kylie Minogue | 157pts
    21.) "NEVER BE THE SAME" | Camila Cabello | 158pts
    20.) "THANK U, NEXT" | Ariana Grande | 160pts
    19.) "BREATHIN" | Ariana Grande | 162pts
    18.) "CURIOUS" | Hayley Kiyoko | 168pts
    17.) "THE DISTANCE" | Mariah Carey ft. Ty Dolla $ign | 169pts
    16.) "LEAVE A TRACE" | CHVRCHES | 171pts
    15.) "PARTY FOR ONE" | Carly Rae Jepsen | 171pts
    14.) "ALONE" | Halsey | 179pts
    13.) "BLOOM" | Troye Sivan | 179pts
    12.) "CAPITAL LETTERS" | Hailee Steinfeld ft. BloodPop® | 181pts
    10.) "GOODNIGHT N GO" | Ariana Grande | 202pts
    09.) "IF YOU’RE OVER ME" | Years & Years | 205pts
    06.) "ALL FOR YOU" | Years & Years | 232pts
    05.) "GRAVES" | CHVRCHES | 244pts
    Ok, so I guess it’s not a big surprise to see me liking so many songs from your Year-End countdown and I don’t even know where to start with it!

As expected, Kylie makes a big impact here, but I definitely didn’t expect “Stop Me From Falling” to be your year-end #1 Congrats to her!
    I’m impressed with the Top3 placement for “No Tears Left To Cry”. I forgot that it actually did so well for you! Also very happy with “Goodnight N Go” in the Top10 and for all other entries by Ariana.

Years & Years’ album is one of my favorite ones from last year, so I love to see their appearances as well. “All For You” should have been a hit in the UK… :x

Love to see some pop gems such as “Delicate”, “Capital Letters”, “Bloom”, “Never Be The Same”, “Back To You” and “The Middle”.

“Don’t Leave Me Alone” was a #1 on your weekly chart at some point, wasn’t it? Surprised that one isn’t higher on the list, while “Head Above Water” is definitely an unexpected entry at #40. Good for Avril though! Really looking forward to her new album

Nice to see “Solo” appearing as well!

Last but not least, also nice to see the two underrated “Alone” by Halsey and “Curious” by Hayley making your Top20. I definitely need to check the latter out more, her album was quite good.

Legend
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 10-01-19, 15:30

Okay, a few things to catch up with! Let's start with your year-end top 50!

What metric did you use as tiebreaker for songs with the same number of points? Chart peak? Length of chart run?

I'm delighted with all the Janelle Monáe entries! I wish "I Like That" had earned six more points, so it could've made the top 20, but overall Janelle definitely performed better here than I expected.

Good showing for Ariana as well. "Breathin" being top 20 is great, and we actually ranked "Thank U, Next" in exactly the same place.

I remember seeing SZA a lot on your chart in 2018, but I still didn't expect "Prom" to make it all the way to #2!

But your artist of 2018 is clearly Kylie! Six entries - the most of any act - and the #1 to boot! "Stop Me from Falling" is lovely, with a delightful video and track-enhancing remix, and it might've performed a bit better on my charts were I not enamoured with, and distracted by, "Raining Glitter".

44.) "SINCERELY YOURS" | Kylie Minogue | 123pts
    43.) "BABE" | Sugarland ft. Taylor Swift | 127pts
    41.) "DON’T LEAVE ME ALONE" | David Guetta ft. Anne-Marie | 129pts
    39.) "MAKE ME FEEL" | Janelle Monáe | 131pts

38.) "DIRTY COMPUTER" | Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 132pts
    36.) "PYNK" | Janelle Monáe ft. Grimes | 133pts
    35.) "GIRL OF THE YEAR" | Allie X | 134pts
    33.) "SOLO" | Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 134pts
    32.) "HIGH HORSE" | Kacey Musgraves | 135pts

30.) "A NO NO" | Mariah Carey | 139pts
    27.) "THE MIDDLE" | Zedd ft. Maren Morris & Grey | 148pts
    25.) "LOVE GALORE" | SZA ft. Travis Scott | 151pts
    24.) "HEAVEN WASN’T MADE FOR ME" | Terror Jr | 151pts
    23.) "I LIKE THAT" | Janelle Monáe | 155pts
    22.) "A LIFETIME TO REPAIR" | Kylie Minogue | 157pts
    21.) "NEVER BE THE SAME" | Camila Cabello | 158pts
    20.) "THANK U, NEXT" | Ariana Grande | 160pts
    19.) "BREATHIN" | Ariana Grande | 162pts

17.) "THE DISTANCE" | Mariah Carey ft. Ty Dolla $ign | 169pts
    15.) "PARTY FOR ONE" | Carly Rae Jepsen | 171pts
    13.) "BLOOM" | Troye Sivan | 179pts
    10.) "GOODNIGHT N GO" | Ariana Grande | 202pts
    09.) "IF YOU’RE OVER ME" | Years & Years | 205pts
    06.) "ALL FOR YOU" | Years & Years | 232pts
    05.) "GRAVES" | CHVRCHES | 244pts
    02.) "PROM" | SZA | 274pts

As for your most recent chart, I am ecstatic to see "Baby" at #1! It's easily one of the finest pop songs of 2018, and just might be the best thing Marina's ever done. I also checked out the two songs in the top three I didn't know, and "Mama" was decent.

It seems that "Imagine" has made more of an impact on a few of my favourite personal charters than it's made on me. For me, the song doesn't really say much. Sure, it's cool to hear Ariana challenging herself vocally and accessing her whistle register, but the vocals don't distract me from what is really a mediocre track.

01 (RE) 02 | "Baby" - Clean Bandit ft. Marina & Luis Fonsi | 1 (1) | [G]
    02 (NE) 01 | "Nowhere" - Clean Bandit ft. Rita Ora & KYLE | 2 (1)
    03 (NE) 01 | "Mama" - Clean Bandit ft. Ellie Goulding | 3
    04 (01) 03 | "Imagine" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [G]
    05 (07) 08 | "Thank U, Next" - Ariana Grande | 1 (2) | [P]
    06 (RE) 07 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1) | [P]
    07 (02) 04 | "Tell Me It's Over" - Avril Lavigne | 1 (1) | [G]
    09 (RE) 12 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [2xP]
    13 (13) 20 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [2xP]
    16 (RE) 06 | "Rockabye" - Clean Bandit ft. Anne-Marie & Sean Paul | 7 | [G]
    18 (RE) 08 | "Never Be The Same" - Camila Cabello | 4 | [P]
    19 (RE) 04 | "We Appreciate Power" - Grimes ft. HANA | 11
    20 (RE) 02 | "Tears" - Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson | 20
    22 (08) 07 | "Love Galore" - SZA ft. Travis Scott | 2 (2) | [P]
    30 (06) 08 | "Head Above Water" - Avril Lavigne | 6 | [G]
    Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 17:00

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    Thanks. Ah, that could be the case, though he also plays less Pokémon these days. Anyways, speaking about games, have you started to play Super Smash Bros. as well? I’m finally back into the gaming mood and picked this up, so maybe I’ll finally play Let’s Go as well…

Ah okay. Somehow I thought I saw you posting a picture with your sister on facebook, but I guess my memory is completely wrong on that one then
    I haven't checked out Smash Bros at all yet (I'm usually not into/good at fighting games I only played the free demo of Pokkén), but I'm excited to hear that it got you back on your Switch! Who's your favorite fighter to use? **Fingers crossed** some of that enthusiasm/hype carries over to Let's Go ;) In my Eevee game, I'm currently traversing Victory Road/Siegesstraße.

I clarified about the sister stuff over in your thread, but I'm sorry for not making that connection sooner! She and I have referred to each other that way on Facebook for many years now, so I should've figured that's who you meant. I'm a bit embarrassed for "forgetting" about her when you first brought it up...

Hehe… I see. I think this is one of these things where people are either ‘Team Mac’ or ‘Team Windows’. I really want to get a non-Mac laptop at some point too though, as there are some stuff which can’t be done on a Mac and vice versa.
    Ha, true, people can be VERY passionate about their tech-brand loyalty I like to think I've got a healthy balance going between those two groups: I LOVE my iPhone, Apple Music, and iTunes...but when it comes to actual computers/laptops, I'm much more comfortable with a PC.

Oops! Only shows how much her popularity decreased!
    So true While most acts obviously fade over time, it hurts to see how she fell SO far from the multi-platinum-basically-everywhere Loose to not even entering most album charts with The Ride just 10 years later.

Aw. Well, yeah, some of the random songs you’re mentioning are also in the bottom for me, though I rarely count these when I do rankings or stuff. Haha…
    Same!

This makes absolutely sense, radio is similar to streaming these days, though with streaming people can choose by themselves what they want to listen to. But as you say, it’s similar with radio, as people could change the station when they don’t like what gets played. But with radios it’s easier to manipulate things IMO – I’m just throwing in the word payola. Labels or artists with good connections (or money…) could be played more even though they may be flopping with the general public. There are always some songs very high on the airplay charts yet they’re nowhere on streaming and iTunes. I wonder how people reacted back in the days when they announced radios would be part of the Hot 100 as well. From what I remember it’s already that way for decades…
    I'd like to think that blatant payola is somehow monitored and prevented, but I'm sure labels use other slightly-more-subtle ways to get songs played more often (like offering free concert tickets to DJs/radio staff, or booking acts for interviews with the station only if their songs are played a certain amount, etc). Granted, there are those "We'll be playing X's new single at the top of every hour today!" promotions, which definitely seem like pure payola/manipulation :x I'm all for putting more power directly in the hands of the listeners when it comes to selecting/controlling exactly which songs they want to hear. The sad thing is that streaming services OFFER that power, but so many people just stick to the curated playlists anyway... :x

It did! I just fell in love with that atmosphere on that song in combination with her heavenly voice. It sounded so brilliant back then! Since “Close To Me” is actually picking up in some countries now I think we’ll definitely get some more new music by Ellie this year, can’t wait!
    Agreed! That slow start for "Close To Me" had me worried, but it's managed to crack the UK Top 20, just re-entered at No. 32 in Australia, and leapt from No. 60 -> No. 33 on the latest Hot 100!

No, I’m not interested in these movies at all, so I’ll definitely won’t see Bumblebee. I’m not sure how an album from her would do… yes, she has successful singles, but she seems to get the hits more based on promo, radio support and them just clicking with the GP, not because it’s Hailee. She also doesn’t seem to care for her music career as other actress-turned-singer did (Ashley Tisdale, Ashlee Simpson, Selena Gomez…).
    Ah, that's an excellent point, and it really would explain why getting a full album out hasn't seemed like a top priority for her. She still might see herself as an actress first (who occasionally puts out a single too).

So happy that you checked out Clean Bandit’s “What Is Love?”. Fun fact: I’m currently listening to the album while writing this reply :cool:

I think it’s a very good album but they probably already released too many singles, so it doesn’t really feel like a cohesive record anymore. Which is weird, as Rita Ora basically did the same yet “Phoenix” sounds like a cohesive pop album. Speaking of Rita, her song “Nowhere”, the Ellie collaboration “Mama” and the Anne-Marie song “Should’ve Known Better” are my favorite ones from the album tracks, so I’m very glad to see these being so successful on your charts! The singles remain top notch – especially pleased about that high re-entry for “Solo” this week.
    Beautiful I love when little coincidences like that connect us even from across the globe. <3

Yeah, and I think cohesion can be an especially big issue for DJ/producer-based albums like this that have different vocalists on basically every track. I'd be curious to see what they'd pick for another single, but since "Baby" hasn't been doing so hot in the UK, I'm not sure if they'll bother with any more. "Solo" and "Baby" are definitely on their own level for me (though "Rockabye" and "Symphony" aren't TOO too far behind), but there were still some worthwhile album tracks to discover (like the ones you mentioned, and I gotta mention "In Us I Believe" too).

Other than that, I love that little comeback for “We Appreciate Power” and also good to see “Back To You” & “Capital Letters” back. Somehow I feel like a certain Year-End Charts may have been the impact on these re-entries?
    Oh, you mean Akini's? ;) ;) ;)

Thanks again, Tancel!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 17:15

Quote Originally Posted by Fan
    Let me start this post with wishing you a very happy new year!!
    Same to you, sir! It seems like you had a pretty amazing 2018 (success in love, at work, on trips, and more), so hopefully 2019 will turn out just as well (or even better...)

Haha, it could be a belated Christmas gift I do celebrate Christmas, not massivly, but usually a nice family affair. I spend the holidays in the UK for the first time this year, with my boyfriend and his family! How were your holidays? I hope you have had a lovely time.
    Aw, that's a pretty massive step! You've gotta fill in a few more details there! ;) My holiday enthusiasm has definitely dampened with age (not TOO shockingly), but it was still nice enough.

Ah, yes. I adore All Saints. They have released soo many good songs. Like I said, Never Ever may be one of my all time favourite songs. But Pure Shores and Black Coffee are absolute classics as well. They are still going strong, their latest record-released last year- had some very good songs.
    Wasn't Never Ever a hit over there? I can imagine them a bit of a one-hit wonder in the States though. No Spice Girls status.
    It was! It cracked the Hot 100 Top 5, so maybe my local stations just snubbed it back in the day (or I just didn't care for it as a kid, so I always changed the channel), which is why it doesn't ring many bells now So "Never Ever," "Pure Shores," "Black Coffee"...can I get two more picks to complete an All Saints Top 5 from you? I'm not ready to dive into a full album of theirs right now, but I'm open to adding your favorite five to my library.

Yes! That is exactly what I said as well. I liked the concert quite a bit, but I just don't enjoy it as much when they only do instrumental parts. Gets a bit dull for me
    **Nod** I always felt that way whenever I'd hear the jazz band in high school, and it still has that effect on the rare occasion that my Dad drags me to a jazz show now.

Ah really?? It was absolutely massive over here, so I can see why it stopped Stop. It's a good song, just not as good as Stop mind
    Not. even. CLOSE!

Wow, at the Clean Bandit invasion! Good to see Baby at #1. Some Marina loving will always make me smile.
    "Baby" has me hooked in a BIG way right now, and I'd love to hear more about your Marina faves! I only have a handful of her singles in my library, and her biggest Paulboard hits (as the lead) have been "Primadonna," "Oh No!," and "How To Be A Heartbreaker."

And amazing to see Stop Me From Falling as your #1 of 2018. Fantastic song.
    YES! Not shocked - but still relieved and appreciative - to see that you approve. <3

Thanks again, Fan!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 17:20

Quote Originally Posted by KokoCollino
    Yassss Baby <3

Great to see it still charting so high! It's slowly falling on my charts, but it's still amazing and among my top of 2018.
    Hey Koko Many thanks for stopping by!

I'm definitely a little late to the party with "Baby" It charted very briefly right after it first dropped in November, but soon got over-shadowed by other album releases, holiday hype, and year-end-countdown fever. Seeing it land higher than expected on several year-end lists here helped me get back into it in a big way, and even inspired me to dive into Clean Bandit's full album.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 17:35

Quote Originally Posted by GaGarazzi
    Great to see all these on your end of year list. Especially the Mylène and Allie X tracks!

I enjoyed following your chart in 2018 and will continue to do so this year
    I figured you'd enjoy seeing Mylène and Allie X make the cut ;) I'm glad to learn that Avril, Taylor, Mariah, Ari, and Kylie's offerings all did something for you too!

I really appreciate all the love you've been showing my chart, and I'll definitely try to be better about reciprocating in 2019!

Thanks again, GaGarazzi!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 17:40

Ok, so I guess it’s not a big surprise to see me liking so many songs from your Year-End countdown and I don’t even know where to start with it!
    <3 Ha, yeah, I know it was a lot to just dump the whole Top 50 at once here but I wanted to share it for comparison's sake, and get it all posted before the end of 2018.

As expected, Kylie makes a big impact here, but I definitely didn’t expect “Stop Me From Falling” to be your year-end #1 Congrats to her!
    Although "Dancing" has more personal relevance for me at this point in my life (not that I'm close to death or anything but 30 is kind of a big milestone that makes you reflect on where you've been and where you're headed), "Stop Me From Falling" is just SUCH a perfect country-pop blend! Other popstars' recent dabbling in more rock and country-influenced material hasn't worked quite as well for me, but SMFF (and most of Golden) hits me as hard as Kylie's material often has in the past, while still sounding different from anything she's tried before. I'm charmed by basically every second of the song, and that chorus in particular is such a toe-tapping, hand-clapping good time: "for yooooOoOu...". There's no stopping me from falling for this tune over and over again.

I’m impressed with the Top3 placement for “No Tears Left To Cry”. I forgot that it actually did so well for you! Also very happy with “Goodnight N Go” in the Top10 and for all other entries by Ariana.
    Yeah, NTLTC wound up having a lot more staying power than I initially expected! It became one of my main go-to options whenever I needed a little pick-me-up/shot of encouragement throughout 2018.

Years & Years’ album is one of my favorite ones from last year, so I love to see their appearances as well. “All For You” should have been a hit in the UK… :x
    YES! The injustice :x I truly don't understand how one minute, the upbeat, poppy "If You're Over Me" (which I also love) can go Top 10...and then their equally-upbeat, poppy follow-up single can't climb higher than No. 47. What changed?!

Now it looks like "Play" will be a much bigger UK hit than AFY too, which is fine, but I just don't get what AFY was lacking in comparison. :-?

“Don’t Leave Me Alone” was a #1 on your weekly chart at some point, wasn’t it? Surprised that one isn’t higher on the list, while “Head Above Water” is definitely an unexpected entry at #40. Good for Avril though! Really looking forward to her new album
    Good memory! "Don't Leave Me Alone" fell pretty fast for a multi-week-No. 1: *1* - 1 - 3 - 11 - 14 - 27 - OUT, while "Head Above Water" benefitted from both "Tell Me It's Over" hype and year-end-countdown hype on my last couple charts of the year. Without that last-minute resurgence, it wouldn't have had enough points to make the final Top 50: 14 - *6* - 6 - 13 - 29 - OUT - 12 - 6

Nice to see “Solo” appearing as well!
    Although it's way too soon to say anything for sure, I've been in such a big Clean Bandit/What Is Love? mood lately (partially thanks to seeing "Baby" land higher than expected on several year-end charts), "Solo" might be able to appear on my 2019 list too...

Last but not least, also nice to see the two underrated “Alone” by Halsey and “Curious” by Hayley making your Top20. I definitely need to check the latter out more, her album was quite good.
    Underrated is right! Although Expectations was pretty hit-or-miss for me overall (and most of it didn't really sound anything like "Curious," which was disappointing), I'll definitely check out her next album. Same goes for Halsey's!

Thanks again, Marsike!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 17:50

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    What metric did you use as tiebreaker for songs with the same number of points? Chart peak? Length of chart run?
    I seriously love you for asking questions like that <3 You've already answered it quite well yourself, though! The tiebreaking factors are (in order):

• Peak on my weekly chart
    • Number of weeks spent at that peak
    • Number of weeks spent inside the Top 5, Top 10, Top 20, Top 30 (however deep I have to go to break the tie)

I'm delighted with all the Janelle Monáe entries! I wish "I Like That" had earned six more points, so it could've made the top 20, but overall Janelle definitely performed better here than I expected.
    Yeah, it was a fairly-tight race almost all throughout the Top 50 (with some exceptions, especially closer to the top), so just one more strong week could've made quite a difference in points/placement. For example, "Head Above Water" only made the cut thanks to a strong resurgence on the last two charts of the year. Exact point discrepancies aside, though, "I Like That" wouldn't have done nearly as well without your strong endorsement that helped open my eyes and clean out my ears.

Good showing for Ariana as well. "Breathin" being top 20 is great, and we actually ranked "Thank U, Next" in exactly the same place.
    Ha, yeah, I was really pleased and amused to see that too! Despite our different year-end formulas and general chart disparity throughout 2018, I love that at least something (especially an Ari gem) somehow landed in the exact. same. spot. I guess her powers are even greater than I realized...

I remember seeing SZA a lot on your chart in 2018, but I still didn't expect "Prom" to make it all the way to #2!
    Admittedly, I still don't entirely understand the story she's telling throughout the song (and how exactly it all relates to prom), but enough of the lyrics ring loud-and-clear to me that I kept coming back to it over and over:

"Fearin' not growin' up,
    Keepin' me up at night,
    Am I doin' enough?,
    Feel like I'm wastin' time,
    Promise to get a little,
    Better as I get older..."

Once she starts dropping Wizard of Oz references (one of my all-time-absolute-favorite movies and book series since childhood), she's spoken straight to my soul:

"Hoppin' through poppy fields,
    Dodgin' evil witches,
    These houses keep droppin' everywhere..."

The overall sound of the song made it an instant standout on Ctrl too.

But your artist of 2018 is clearly Kylie! Six entries - the most of any act - and the #1 to boot! "Stop Me from Falling" is lovely, with a delightful video and track-enhancing remix, and it might've performed a bit better on my charts were I not enamoured with, and distracted by, "Raining Glitter".
    Golden was easily the standout album of my 2018 (my most-played by a very healthy margin). Somewhat surprisingly, Ari actually beat Kylie as my most-played artist, though her Scrobbles were spread across some standalone singles (and the fact that I re-visited her catalog for Mainshow's epic Artist Survivor). I'm really glad that the SMFF remix made a noteworthy difference for you! That version nearly cracked my Top 50 on its own (well, Top 80ish, at least).

As for your most recent chart, I am ecstatic to see "Baby" at #1! It's easily one of the finest pop songs of 2018, and just might be the best thing Marina's ever done. I also checked out the two songs in the top three I didn't know, and "Mama" was decent.
    The surprise of seeing "Baby" place so high on both your and Tansike's countdowns definitely played a big role in re-kindling my enthusiasm for it (and lead to me checking out What Is Love? in its entirety). I'm not too shocked that "Nowhere" missed the mark for you - it's undeniably pretty run-of-the-mill/generic, but that "that's why I fooolloww, when you lead me noOoOwhere" hook (well, pretty much all of the chorus) REALLY burrowed into my brain. Simple, but effective (for me). I'm relieved that Ellie at least earned a "decent," though!

It seems that "Imagine" has made more of an impact on a few of my favourite personal charters than it's made on me. For me, the song doesn't really say much. Sure, it's cool to hear Ariana challenging herself vocally and accessing her whistle register, but the vocals don't distract me from what is really a mediocre track.
    Aw, I did notice its absence when I popped into your thread the other day, so I'm not totally gobsmacked to hear this now. Although the good has outweighed the bad for me, I still have mixed feelings about the track overall: there's parts of it that I really love (like that super-catchy "click, click, click and post" pre-chorus, and the beautifully intimate "love how my face fits so good in your neck" line), but Ari made some questionable choices in there too (like the needlessly long outro with her simply repeating the title over and over).

I figured the fact that the song isn't about all that much is kind of the point, though, since experiences like the ones she's describing can be/possibly have been especially hard for someone like Ari. Simple pleasures (ordering take-out, staying up late, then enjoying a lazy day together in bed) might be surprisingly hard to come by in a complicated celebrity life. Not only because of her celebrity status, but her relationship history too (especially after losing an ex to overdose and breaking off an engagement with someone else in the same year). Situations that seem so mundane on paper might feel truly hard to even imagine for her right now. Granted, I also might be trying a little too hard to give this song some gravity due to my general pro-Ari bias.

Thanks again, Akini!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 18:00

Paulboard Top 30
    Chart Date: 01/11/19

• Clean Bandit swipe the top spot from themselves and become the first act to monopolize the entire Top 5 since Grimes back in February 2016.

TW | LW | WKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

01 (06) 08 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (2) | [P]
    02 (01) 03 | "Baby" - Clean Bandit ft. Marina & Luis Fonsi | 1 (1) | [G]
    03 (03) 02 | "Mama" - Clean Bandit ft. Ellie Goulding | 3
    04 (08) 02 | "In Us I Believe" - Clean Bandit ft. ALMA | 4
    05 (02) 02 | "Nowhere" - Clean Bandit ft. Rita Ora & KYLE | 2 (1)
    06 (NE) 01 | "Move On" - Mike Posner | 6
    07 (RE) 07 | "More And More" - Fleur East | 2 (1) | [P]
    08 (23) 02 | "24 Hours" - Clean Bandit ft. Yasmin Green | 8
    09 (RE) 10 | "Alone" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [P]
    10 (RE) 03 | "Hopeless" - Halsey ft. Cashmere Cat | 6 | [G]
    11 (20) 03 | "Tears" - Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson | 11
    12 (NE) 01 | "Fading" - Alle Farben ft. ILIRA | 12
    13 (RE) 02 | "Without Me" - Halsey | 8 | [G]
    14 (RE) 16 | "Colors" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [2xP]
    15 (RE) 03 | "Breakfast" - Fleur East | 11 | [G]
    16 (NE) 01 | "Favourite Thing" - Fleur East | 16
    17 (07) 05 | "Tell Me It's Over" - Avril Lavigne | 1 (1) | [G]
    18 (16) 07 | "Rockabye" - Clean Bandit ft. Anne-Marie & Sean Paul | 7 | [G]
    19 (14) 02 | "Should've Known Better" - Clean Bandit ft. Anne-Marie | 14
    20 (RE) 15 | "Closer" - The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey | 1 (3) | [3xP]
    21 (RE) 06 | "Remedy" - Little Boots | 2 (1) | [P]
    22 (04) 04 | "Imagine" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [G]
    23 (RE) 03 | "100 Letters" - Halsey | 6
    24 (29) 05 | "Feeling Of Falling" - Cheat Codes ft. Kim Petras | 2 (1) | [G]
    25 (10) 02 | "Out At Night" - Clean Bandit ft. KYLE & Big Boi | 10
    26 (RE) 07 | "At Night (I Think About You)" - MNEK | 8 | [G]
    27 (RE) 06 | "Close To Me" - Ellie Goulding ft. Diplo & Swae Lee | 10 | [G]
    28 (RE) 10 | "Now Or Never" - Halsey | 13 | [P]
    29 (11) 06 | "Surrounded By Heads And Bodies" - The 1975 | 1 (2) | [G]
    30 (RE) 03 | "Casanova (Remix)" - Allie X ft. VÉRITÉ | 10 | [G]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
    [PLAT] = 50+ total plays

Superstar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 18:13

Wow! I don't think I've ever had nab five positions in the top 10, not even sure about the whole top 20. I will have to check out some of these songs. Though I found myself a bit bored by the Mike Posner song. Such a hard tumble for Imagine!

Manager
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-01-19, 00:00

21 (RE) 06 | "Remedy" - Little Boots | 2 (1) | [P]
    What a surprise to this this '00s classic in your charts this week! Any reason in particular for its reentry?
    One of my favourite songs from last decade. Still listen to it quite regularly.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 08:48

I haven't checked out Smash Bros at all yet (I'm usually not into/good at fighting games I only played the free demo of Pokkén), but I'm excited to hear that it got you back on your Switch! Who's your favorite fighter to use? **Fingers crossed** some of that enthusiasm/hype carries over to Let's Go ;) In my Eevee game, I'm currently traversing Victory Road/Siegesstraße.

I clarified about the sister stuff over in your thread, but I'm sorry for not making that connection sooner! She and I have referred to each other that way on Facebook for many years now, so I should've figured that's who you meant. I'm a bit embarrassed for "forgetting" about her when you first brought it up...
    Ah, so this means you never played one of the Smash Bros series? This used to be one of my favorite games on the N64, loved it so much back then and now they’ve added so many new things, it’s really good! Currently I’m always picking Lucario :cool: I hope so too! The thing about Let’s Go is that I only want to play it on the TV, as it’s new to have a Pokémon game like this on the big screen, while Smash Bros is something I can easily play without the TV screen, so I can play that one in other occasions (for example when my partner is playing a game on the TV screen and I’m next to him playing a game as well ). That ‘restriction’ is probably a reason why I never really got into Let’s Go as I rarely have time to be in front of a TV, though that’s a restriction I gave myself Oh wow, that’s far! Good luck for the Top4!

Yes, thanks for that!

Ha, true, people can be VERY passionate about their tech-brand loyalty I like to think I've got a healthy balance going between those two groups: I LOVE my iPhone, Apple Music, and iTunes...but when it comes to actual computers/laptops, I'm much more comfortable with a PC.
    Oh, that’s a good mixture of both for sure! Interestingly, I think I know no one who is doing it like you, it’s either everything Apple or everything something else (like a Samsung smartphone, windows computer etc.). Wasn’t it easier back in the days when you have one Apple device to have everything from Apple for the connection/cloud and stuff like that? That’s probably why it’s either all Apple or not, but I guess this changes now? Not sure though… I’m really not a technic guy

So true While most acts obviously fade over time, it hurts to see how she fell SO far from the multi-platinum-basically-everywhere Loose to not even entering most album charts with The Ride just 10 years later.
    Yeah. Even “The Spirit Indestructible” was a huge flop and iirc got no certifications at all (maybe Gold in Canada?). One would think there’s still a fanbase left for her but this basically shows that there isn’t and she had her huge success only due to the music clicking with the general audience and casual music consumers, instead of creating an own fanbase like Christina Aguilera for example. She’s been flopping as well and had a big decline, but she’ll always get a nice peak with her releases as she created a loyal fanbase.

I'd like to think that blatant payola is somehow monitored and prevented, but I'm sure labels use other slightly-more-subtle ways to get songs played more often (like offering free concert tickets to DJs/radio staff, or booking acts for interviews with the station only if their songs are played a certain amount, etc). Granted, there are those "We'll be playing X's new single at the top of every hour today!" promotions, which definitely seem like pure payola/manipulation :x I'm all for putting more power directly in the hands of the listeners when it comes to selecting/controlling exactly which songs they want to hear. The sad thing is that streaming services OFFER that power, but so many people just stick to the curated playlists anyway... :x
    Hmmm I’m not 100% sure about that. I think it’s definitely not as bad as it was some years ago, but I think there’s still some payola going on. I guess we will never know what really goes on behind the scenes though. But all that is exactly why I don’t think airplay should be part of the official charts as well, streaming, digital and physical sales should be all that counts.
    Haha yeah, these playlists are so popular. That’s really the new radio I think, and just a few people can basically decide what’s hot and what’s not. Streaming has to be a part of the charts, but it’s also easy to manipulate sadly.

Agreed! That slow start for "Close To Me" had me worried, but it's managed to crack the UK Top 20, just re-entered at No. 32 in Australia, and leapt from No. 60 -> No. 33 on the latest Hot 100!
    Yes, this is shaping up to me a nice hit now. Good for Ellie, the track itself still doesn’t do much for me though :( How would you rank “Close To Me” compared to Ellie’s previous singles? I guess it’s also in the weaker half for you?

Ah, that's an excellent point, and it really would explain why getting a full album out hasn't seemed like a top priority for her. She still might see herself as an actress first (who occasionally puts out a single too).
    Yep, and as long as it’s working, that’s probably fine. Though she hinted something on social media lately and there may be an album out soon.

Beautiful I love when little coincidences like that connect us even from across the globe. <3

Yeah, and I think cohesion can be an especially big issue for DJ/producer-based albums like this that have different vocalists on basically every track. I'd be curious to see what they'd pick for another single, but since "Baby" hasn't been doing so hot in the UK, I'm not sure if they'll bother with any more. "Solo" and "Baby" are definitely on their own level for me (though "Rockabye" and "Symphony" aren't TOO too far behind), but there were still some worthwhile album tracks to discover (like the ones you mentioned, and I gotta mention "In Us I Believe" too).
    <3 <3 <3

True. Someone like David Guetta already hast he same problems with his albums. I really hope they do bother for more singles, it would be weird to have singles being released two years prior the album comes out, and once it finally comes out there are no more singles… I definitely think they should try it with “Mama”, it’s so catchy and already got a nice feedback from the public.

Oh, you mean Akini's? ;) ;) ;)
    No, yours! <3

?
    <3 Ha, yeah, I know it was a lot to just dump the whole Top 50 at once here but I wanted to share it for comparison's sake, and get it all posted before the end of 2018.
    That’s good though, because I know we talked about this year-end-charts last year (or two years ago?) as well and you said you don’t feel like sharing it, so I’m very glad you decided to still post it now! I always love to see these countdowns, as the weekly charts are not always showing the best picture of what’s really hot and what’s not. “Don’t Leave Me Alone” is a good example, two weeks at #1 on the weekly chart yet it’s not even in the Top40 of the YEC – I expected something around the 20s

Although "Dancing" has more personal relevance for me at this point in my life (not that I'm close to death or anything but 30 is kind of a big milestone that makes you reflect on where you've been and where you're headed), "Stop Me From Falling" is just SUCH a perfect country-pop blend! Other popstars' recent dabbling in more rock and country-influenced material hasn't worked quite as well for me, but SMFF (and most of Golden) hits me as hard as Kylie's material often has in the past, while still sounding different from anything she's tried before. I'm charmed by basically every second of the song, and that chorus in particular is such a toe-tapping, hand-clapping good time: "for yooooOoOu...". There's no stopping me from falling for this tune over and over again.
    Wait, did you just say your age? I think that’s the first time I got to know it! Not that it’s a big deal of course, but I always love to get to know more from my favorite UKMixers <3 I completely understand you though, I turned 27 last months and I feel like I’m slowly getting in a similar situation, so I can imagine how it is when someone really reaches that milestone. So happy Kylie impressed you so much with that song and the album overall!

YES! The injustice :x I truly don't understand how one minute, the upbeat, poppy "If You're Over Me" (which I also love) can go Top 10...and then their equally-upbeat, poppy follow-up single can't climb higher than No. 47. What changed?!

Now it looks like "Play" will be a much bigger UK hit than AFY too, which is fine, but I just don't get what AFY was lacking in comparison. :-?
    Good question and I have no idea what happened there. I know you enjoy “If You’re Over Me”, but it’s by far the most generic song on the album IMO so it’s shocking how it was such a success compared to other songs on one side, but on another side it’s kinda expected. “Sanctify” flopped as well. I can only imagine what was the main reason why these songs didn’t really click with the audience, but I hope I’m wrong, as that would be that these songs are ‘too gay’ for the GP.

Oh, “Play” is starting to take off? Had no idea!

Good memory! "Don't Leave Me Alone" fell pretty fast for a multi-week-No. 1: *1* - 1 - 3 - 11 - 14 - 27 - OUT, while "Head Above Water" benefitted from both "Tell Me It's Over" hype and year-end-countdown hype on my last couple charts of the year. Without that last-minute resurgence, it wouldn't have had enough points to make the final Top 50: 14 - *6* - 6 - 13 - 29 - OUT - 12 - 6
    Thanks for writing down these chartruns! It’s impressive how the one for “Don’t Leave Me Alone” looks much better compared to “Head Above Water” on the first look but when you look closer it’s not better at all. Even going by my own system (points), “Head Above Water” would be ahead of “Don’t Leave Me Alone” Exactly what I meant above!

Thanks again, Tancel!

Thanks again, Marsike!
    Love that! <3 <3 <3

Paulboard Top 30
    Chart Date: 01/11/19

09 (RE) 10 | "Alone" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [P]
    10 (RE) 03 | "Hopeless" - Halsey ft. Cashmere Cat | 6 | [G]
    13 (RE) 02 | "Without Me" - Halsey | 8 | [G]
    14 (RE) 16 | "Colors" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [2xP]
    16 (NE) 01 | "Favourite Thing" - Fleur East | 16
    20 (RE) 15 | "Closer" - The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey | 1 (3) | [3xP]
    23 (RE) 03 | "100 Letters" - Halsey | 6
    26 (RE) 07 | "At Night (I Think About You)" - MNEK | 8 | [G]
    27 (RE) 06 | "Close To Me" - Ellie Goulding ft. Diplo & Swae Lee | 10 | [G]
    28 (RE) 10 | "Now Or Never" - Halsey | 13 | [P]
    I’m not quoting all the CB songs now and just quoting the new/re-entries this week…
    Obviously, I love that slayage for Clean Bandit this week and especially the current Top3, as they’re all awesome. “Solo” reaching #1 again after being out for so long must be a rare feature to happen, right?

Haven’t heard Mike Posner’s new song yet but I read he’s releasing an album this month, so I’ll check it out for sure.

Great impact on this weeks charts by Halsey! Also, good to see Fleur East’s “Favourite Thing” entering, Love it at the moment!

Last but not least, some of the certifications are quite impressive (“Without Me” being Gold with a #8 peak and two weeks on the charts, similar with Fleur East’s “Breakfast”, “Now Or Never” being Platinum with a #13 peak…). Really speaks for their longevity outside your Top30!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 18-01-19, 16:30

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills
    Wow! I don't think I've ever had nab five positions in the top 10, not even sure about the whole top 20. I will have to check out some of these songs. Though I found myself a bit bored by the Mike Posner song. Such a hard tumble for Imagine!
    You'll have to let me know if you find out which act(s) came the closest to achieving that feat on your chart! The fact that I allow any album tracks to enter here definitely makes it more possible, though I feel like Clean Bandit's accomplishment might warrant an asterisk. They're technically the lead act on all of those songs in the Top 5, but each track does feature completely different vocalists...

Bummer that Mike's latest offering isn't doing much for you. I don't often seek out his new releases, but this one pleasantly surprised me! It's kind of what I expected Justin's Man Of The Woods material to sound like.

Thanks again, cheap!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 18-01-19, 16:35

Quote Originally Posted by GaGarazzi
    One of my favourite songs from last decade. Still listen to it quite regularly.
    I owe JakeP for inspiring that re-entry! He's been charting this new collaboration of hers called "Fridaycity," and while that particular offering isn't doing much for me, it did put me in the mood to revisit "Remedy." I hadn't spun it in years but it still sounds as good as ever!

Merci encore, GaGarazzi!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 18-01-19, 16:50

Ah, so this means you never played one of the Smash Bros series? This used to be one of my favorite games on the N64, loved it so much back then and now they’ve added so many new things, it’s really good! Currently I’m always picking Lucario :cool: I hope so too! The thing about Let’s Go is that I only want to play it on the TV, as it’s new to have a Pokémon game like this on the big screen, while Smash Bros is something I can easily play without the TV screen, so I can play that one in other occasions (for example when my partner is playing a game on the TV screen and I’m next to him playing a game as well ). That ‘restriction’ is probably a reason why I never really got into Let’s Go as I rarely have time to be in front of a TV, though that’s a restriction I gave myself Oh wow, that’s far! Good luck for the Top4!
    I remember trying out the original Super Smash Bros on the N64 back in the day, but none of the sequels. Ooh...Lucario's a VERY badass choice! Have you been playing through the game's story mode, or mostly against your partner? Who does he like to use? Does the winner get any kind of prize...? ;)

Ah, I can totally understand wanting to play Let's Go on the TV - but I've actually been the total opposite I tried it that way once or twice, but otherwise I strongly prefer handheld mode (partially because that's how I've always played Pokémon games). I find it easier to notice all the little background and overworld details when the screen is closer to my face, so I'm able to get more immersed when I'm playing in handheld mode. The new catching method feels a lot easier in handheld too.

Oh, that’s a good mixture of both for sure! Interestingly, I think I know no one who is doing it like you, it’s either everything Apple or everything something else (like a Samsung smartphone, windows computer etc.). Wasn’t it easier back in the days when you have one Apple device to have everything from Apple for the connection/cloud and stuff like that? That’s probably why it’s either all Apple or not, but I guess this changes now? Not sure though… I’m really not a technic guy
    Ha, same, and I might not have been able to jump between the different systems (Apple phones but not Apple computers) without access to my bf's tech knowledge.

Yeah. Even “The Spirit Indestructible” was a huge flop and iirc got no certifications at all (maybe Gold in Canada?). One would think there’s still a fanbase left for her but this basically shows that there isn’t and she had her huge success only due to the music clicking with the general audience and casual music consumers, instead of creating an own fanbase like Christina Aguilera for example. She’s been flopping as well and had a big decline, but she’ll always get a nice peak with her releases as she created a loyal fanbase.
    Well said! Christina's a great example, since she's been out even longer than Nelly and hasn't scored a big hit (of her own/without a collabo) in quite a while, yet even her recent "flop" album debuted inside the Top 20 (often Top 10) most places. For whatever reason, people just completely bailed on Nelly after Loose (granted, I'm kind of one of them, aside from "Spirit Indestructible," so...)

Yes, this is shaping up to me a nice hit now. Good for Ellie, the track itself still doesn’t do much for me though :( How would you rank “Close To Me” compared to Ellie’s previous singles? I guess it’s also in the weaker half for you?
    Yeah...though, now that I think about it, she has made some questionable single choices over the years: "Guns And Horses" as the follow-up to "Starry Eyed," then both "Figure 8" and "Explosions" from Halcyon. Although "Close To Me" has definitely surpassed my initial disappointment with it, most of her other singles still do more for me. As of right now, it's my 28th-most-played Ellie song on last.fm out of ~70 (including album tracks)...so it's far from dead last, but a ways from the top too.

Yep, and as long as it’s working, that’s probably fine. Though she hinted something on social media lately and there may be an album out soon.
    I'll believe her when I see a pre-order up on iTunes Granted, even those can get cancelled, so...

True. Someone like David Guetta already hast he same problems with his albums. I really hope they do bother for more singles, it would be weird to have singles being released two years prior the album comes out, and once it finally comes out there are no more singles… I definitely think they should try it with “Mama”, it’s so catchy and already got a nice feedback from the public.
    Ha, true, though I think that's how some J-Pop and K-Pop albums have worked (the era ends when the album finally drops after a string of singles). Like you said, though, I think What Is Love? still has some potential left, and since "Tears" and "Rockabye" were so long ago, it really doesn't feel like the album's had 6 singles already.

That’s good though, because I know we talked about this year-end-charts last year (or two years ago?) as well and you said you don’t feel like sharing it, so I’m very glad you decided to still post it now! I always love to see these countdowns, as the weekly charts are not always showing the best picture of what’s really hot and what’s not. “Don’t Leave Me Alone” is a good example, two weeks at #1 on the weekly chart yet it’s not even in the Top40 of the YEC – I expected something around the 20s
    Yeah, maintaining a whole formal year-end countdown thread can feel like a bit of a chore sometimes (making sure to respond to everyone's comments and keep posting updates regularly enough that it doesn't take until February or March to finish) Kudos to you, Akini, Jake, and others for sticking with it and making it work! Hopefully you're not TOO mad about this end result for "Don't Leave Me Alone" I know you've got a soft spot for Anne-Marie, but I didn't think you were a huge fan of that particular single.

Wait, did you just say your age? I think that’s the first time I got to know it! Not that it’s a big deal of course, but I always love to get to know more from my favorite UKMixers <3 I completely understand you though, I turned 27 last months and I feel like I’m slowly getting in a similar situation, so I can imagine how it is when someone really reaches that milestone. So happy Kylie impressed you so much with that song and the album overall!
    Ha, I honestly didn't realize that I'd never mentioned my age to you before! I vaguely recall you and I talking about how you prefer older men (who don't actually look much older), so I joked about how I sort of fit that mold... ;)

Also: I think I completely missed your birthday, and I'm seriously sorry for that Hopefully your man showed you a damn good time, and if there's any way I can make it up to you... ;)

Good question and I have no idea what happened there. I know you enjoy “If You’re Over Me”, but it’s by far the most generic song on the album IMO so it’s shocking how it was such a success compared to other songs on one side, but on another side it’s kinda expected. “Sanctify” flopped as well. I can only imagine what was the main reason why these songs didn’t really click with the audience, but I hope I’m wrong, as that would be that these songs are ‘too gay’ for the GP.

Oh, “Play” is starting to take off? Had no idea!
    Uugggghhhhh :x I hate to think you're right about that, but you probably do have a point there... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yeah, I was pretty shocked too, but it skyrocketed once all the holiday tunes vanished from the UK chart: 60 - 61 - 50 - 80 - 19 - *11* - ?

Obviously, I love that slayage for Clean Bandit this week and especially the current Top3, as they’re all awesome. “Solo” reaching #1 again after being out for so long must be a rare feature to happen, right?
    Definitely! Good observation. The last case was SZA's "Prom," which initially went to No. 1 last February, then returned to the top in August (since some of the lyrics felt especially relevant around my birthday). Machine Gun Kelly's "Bad Things" had a similar fate: debuting at No. 1 in October 2016, then rebounding in January 2017 (thanks to year-end hype, and that might've been when it started smashing on the Hot 100 too).

Haven’t heard Mike Posner’s new song yet but I read he’s releasing an album this month, so I’ll check it out for sure.
    I don't usually seek out Mike's new releases, but I gave this one a try on a whim, and I was pleasantly surprised! It kind of sounds like what I expected from JT's Man Of The Woods material.

Last but not least, some of the certifications are quite impressive (“Without Me” being Gold with a #8 peak and two weeks on the charts, similar with Fleur East’s “Breakfast”, “Now Or Never” being Platinum with a #13 peak…). Really speaks for their longevity outside your Top30!
    Exactly! I know "Without Me" in particular had a few weeks lately where it narrowly missed out on charting/still got played 2-3 times during those weeks. The excitement of seeing it top the Hot 100 gave it the extra boost it needed to get back on the chart.

Thanks again, Tancel! (Hopefully you really DO love these nicknames, because I'll keep using them until you say otherwise...)

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 18-01-19, 17:00

Paulboard Top 30
    Chart Date: 01/18/19

• Betty's the one who manages to curtail Clean Bandit's domination, thus claiming her first-ever No. 1 with "I Remember."

01 (NE) 01 | "I Remember" - Betty Who | 1 (1)
    02 (NE) 01 | "Just Thought You Should Know" - Betty Who | 2 (1)
    03 (NE) 01 | "Focus (Analog Version)" - Allie X | 3
    04 (02) 04 | "Baby" - Clean Bandit ft. Marina & Luis Fonsi | 1 (1) | [P]
    05 (RE) 05 | "Lucky Strike" - Troye Sivan | 5 | [G]
    06 (NE) 01 | "Dancing With A Stranger" - Sam Smith ft. Normani | 6
    07 (01) 09 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (2) | [P]
    08 (13) 03 | "Without Me" - Halsey | 8 | [G]
    09 (05) 03 | "Nowhere" - Clean Bandit ft. Rita Ora & KYLE | 2 (1)
    10 (09) 11 | "Alone" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [2xP]
    11 (RE) 09 | "The Middle" - Zedd ft. Maren Morris & Grey | 2 (1) | [P]
    12 (NE) 01 | "Girl Of The Year (Analog Version)" - Allie X | 12
    13 (NE) 01 | "Mama Say" - Betty Who | 13
    14 (NE) 01 | "Want You Back" - Grey ft. LÉON | 14
    15 (NE) 01 | "Little Things (Digital Concert)" - Allie X | 15
    16 (22) 05 | "Imagine" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [G]
    17 (RE) 02 | "I Love You Always Forever" - Betty Who | 17
    18 (RE) 05 | "Seventeen" - Troye Sivan | 5 | [G]
    19 (RE) 05 | "Plum" - Troye Sivan | 2 (1) | [G]
    20 (NE) 01 | "Sunflower" - Post Malone ft. Swae Lee | 20
    21 (07) 08 | "More And More" - Fleur East | 2 (1) | [P]
    22 (10) 04 | "Hopeless" - Halsey ft. Cashmere Cat | 6 | [G]
    23 (23) 04 | "100 Letters" - Halsey | 6 | [G]
    24 (06) 02 | "Move On" - Mike Posner | 6
    25 (30) 04 | "Casanova (Remix)" - Allie X ft. VÉRITÉ | 10 | [G]
    26 (08) 03 | "24 Hours" - Clean Bandit ft. Yasmin Green | 8
    27 (03) 03 | "Mama" - Clean Bandit ft. Ellie Goulding | 3
    28 (27) 07 | "Close To Me" - Ellie Goulding ft. Diplo & Swae Lee | 10 | [G]
    29 (NE) 01 | "Ignore Me" - Betty Who | 29
    30 (04) 03 | "In Us I Believe" - Clean Bandit ft. ALMA | 4

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
    [PLAT] = 50+ total plays

Legend
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 19-01-19, 02:30

Just listened to your #1. It's a bit unmemorable on the first spin.

Good to see that you appreciate "Dancing with a Stranger", but no love for "More Than That"?

01 (NE) 01 | "I Remember" - Betty Who | 1 (1)
    04 (02) 04 | "Baby" - Clean Bandit ft. Marina & Luis Fonsi | 1 (1) | [P]
    05 (RE) 05 | "Lucky Strike" - Troye Sivan | 5 | [G]
    06 (NE) 01 | "Dancing With A Stranger" - Sam Smith ft. Normani | 6
    07 (01) 09 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (2) | [P]
    08 (13) 03 | "Without Me" - Halsey | 8 | [G]
    11 (RE) 09 | "The Middle" - Zedd ft. Maren Morris & Grey | 2 (1) | [P]
    12 (NE) 01 | "Girl Of The Year (Analog Version)" - Allie X | 12
    16 (22) 05 | "Imagine" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [G]
    18 (RE) 05 | "Seventeen" - Troye Sivan | 5 | [G]
    19 (RE) 05 | "Plum" - Troye Sivan | 2 (1) | [G]
    25 (30) 04 | "Casanova (Remix)" - Allie X ft. VÉRITÉ | 10 | [G]
    27 (03) 03 | "Mama" - Clean Bandit ft. Ellie Goulding | 3

I figured the fact that the song isn't about all that much is kind of the point, though, since experiences like the ones she's describing can be/possibly have been especially hard for someone like Ari. Simple pleasures (ordering take-out, staying up late, then enjoying a lazy day together in bed) might be surprisingly hard to come by in a complicated celebrity life. Not only because of her celebrity status, but her relationship history too (especially after losing an ex to overdose and breaking off an engagement with someone else in the same year). Situations that seem so mundane on paper might feel truly hard to even imagine for her right now. Granted, I also might be trying a little too hard to give this song some gravity due to my general pro-Ari bias.
    You made some solid points here! The song is still meh, but I appreciate this new perspective.
    Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 25-01-19, 16:30

Just listened to your #1. It's a bit unmemorable on the first spin.
    Ha, fair enough, but thanks for giving it a try! I think it took at least a couple of plays before getting seriously stuck in my brain. This type of light, breezy, dreamy pop seems especially rare in recent years, so "I Remember" feels like a refreshing ride for me. This might just be on my mind because Betty's also Australian, but I could envision Kylie recording this track.

Good to see that you appreciate "Dancing with a Stranger", but no love for "More Than That"?
    I hadn't been thinking about Sam much lately, since The Thrill Of It All singles that I heard and "Promises" didn't do a whole lot for me, so Normani deserves some credit for helping him craft his first offering in a while that's really caught my ear!

"More Than That" didn't go over well with me at first, but I warmed up to it a bit after a week or so (partially thanks to both you and Tansike showing it love). I don't think it's grown on me enough to enter here (yet), but I've started to feel the sexiness you've described.

You made some solid points here! The song is still meh, but I appreciate this new perspective.
    Ha, I did have to reach a little there, so I'm glad my attempt at giving that song some significance was still worth the read. Ultimately, I think my enjoyment of it mostly boils down to her sounding stellar and painting scenes that I'd love to get lost in myself.

Thanks again, Akini!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 25-01-19, 16:52

Most of the songs I have heard from Betty Who don't do a lot for me - her voice is in a weird range for me to appreciate her. Seems like this #1 is one of her better ones though.

What's with all the Troye Sivan re-entries? Reminiscing?

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 25-01-19, 16:55

Most of the songs I have heard from Betty Who don't do a lot for me - her voice is in a weird range for me to appreciate her. Seems like this #1 is one of her better ones though.
    Yeah, when I first checked Betty out back in 2017, she didn't do much for me either (her cover of "I Love You Always Forever" is fine, but definitely not enough to eclipse the original). Seeing her on UKMIX 2018 year-end lists encouraged me to give her another try, and some of the pre-release material from her upcoming album was a really pleasant surprise!

What's with all the Troye Sivan re-entries? Reminiscing?
    Pretty much! More of the year-end effect (especially Jake's countdown lately). He recently dropped a delightful video for "Lucky Strike" too.

Thanks again, cheap!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 25-01-19, 17:00

Paulboard Top 30
    Chart Date: 01/25/19

• Although it lost its grip on the Hot 100, "Sunflower" springs to the top of Paulboard, transforming Post Malone's first-ever entry into his first-ever No. 1.

01 (20) 02 | "Sunflower" - Post Malone ft. Swae Lee | 1 (1)
    02 (01) 02 | "I Remember" - Betty Who | 1 (1) | [G]
    03 (13) 02 | "Mama Say" - Betty Who | 3
    04 (15) 02 | "Little Things (Digital Concert)" - Allie X | 4
    05 (14) 02 | "Want You Back" - Grey ft. LÉON | 5
    06 (12) 02 | "Girl Of The Year (Analog Version)" - Allie X | 6
    07 (NE) 01 | "7 Rings" - Ariana Grande | 7
    08 (02) 03 | "Just Thought You Should Know" - Betty Who | 2 (1)
    09 (06) 02 | "Dancing With A Stranger" - Sam Smith ft. Normani | 6
    10 (04) 05 | "Baby" - Clean Bandit ft. Marina & Luis Fonsi | 1 (1) | [P]
    11 (03) 02 | "Focus (Analog Version)" - Allie X | 3
    12 (08) 04 | "Without Me" - Halsey | 8 | [G]
    13 (07) 10 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (2) | [P]
    14 (RE) 09 | "Say So (Vasco Remix)" - Terror Jr | 2 (1) | [P]
    15 (05) 06 | "Lucky Strike" - Troye Sivan | 5 | [G]
    16 (RE) 10 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1) | [P]
    17 (RE) 02 | "Play" - Jax Jones ft. Years & Years | 17
    18 (RE) 12 | "All For You" - Years & Years | 1 (2) | [2xP]
    19 (18) 06 | "Seventeen" - Troye Sivan | 5 | [G]
    20 (09) 04 | "Nowhere" - Clean Bandit ft. Rita Ora & KYLE | 2 (1) | [G]
    21 (RE) 04 | "Rollin" - Jess Glynne | 4 | [G]
    22 (16) 06 | "Imagine" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [G]
    23 (27) 04 | "Mama" - Clean Bandit ft. Ellie Goulding | 3 | [G]
    24 (RE) 09 | "Thank U, Next" - Ariana Grande | 1 (2) | [P]
    25 (RE) 05 | "Never Let Me Go" - Jess Glynne | 4 | [G]
    26 (RE) 05 | "Nevermind" - Jess Glynne | 2 (1) | [G]
    27 (RE) 18 | "Crystallize" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (2) | [3xP]
    28 (RE) 24 | "Heartbreaks" - Terror Jr | 1 (3) | [4xP]
    29 (NE) 01 | "Pretend You're Missing Me" - Betty Who | 29
    30 (NE) 01 | "Wanna Be" - Betty Who | 30

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
    [PLAT] = 50+ total plays

Superstar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 25-01-19, 17:19

Was it irresistible to debut 7 Rings at #7?

Sunflower making a 20-1 jump - I guess that's the biggest there can be in your chart - has that happened before?

Bringing back my faves Ari, Troye and Years You just need to put Janelle in there and you'll have summed up 2018 for me!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 01-02-19, 16:30

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    Was it irresistible to debut 7 Rings at #7?
    Ha, you know me so well already The songs at No.'s 7 – 10 were actually all tied for play counts, so I couldn't resist putting "7 Rings" at No. 7 (though it did truly feel like it had the biggest impact on my week out of those tied tunes. It was certainly on my mind the most, for better or worse...)

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    Sunflower making a 20-1 jump - I guess that's the biggest there can be in your chart - has that happened before?
    Ah, that's a fun chart history question! After consulting the archives, it looks like that No. 20 ---> No. 1 leap for "Sunflower" is the biggest jump to the top (not counting debuts or re-entries) since Lauv's "Paris In The Rain" bounded from No. 27 ---> No. 1 in December 2017. That appears to match the biggest climb of all-time, tied with Carly Rae Jepsen's "Tug Of War" (December 2012) and Glee Cast's "It's My Life/Confessions Part II" (January 2010).

Thanks again, cheap!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 01-02-19, 17:00

Paulboard Top 30
    Chart Date: 02/01/19

• Fueled by album-release-hype, Terror Jr happily procure their fourth chart-topper (and deny Lauv his third in the process).

01 (NE) 01 "Happy Place" Terror Jr 1 (1)
    02 (NE) 01 "I'm So Tired" Lauv ft. Troye Sivan 2 (1)
    03 (NE) 01 "Terrified" Terror Jr 3
    04 (NE) 01 "Little Bit" Terror Jr 4
    05 (01) 03 "Sunflower" Post Malone ft. Swae Lee 1 (1) [G]
    06 (NE) 01 "Kinda Iconic" Terror Jr 6
    07 (02) 03 "I Remember" Betty Who 1 (1) [G]
    08 (24) 10 "Thank U, Next" Ariana Grande 1 (2) [P]
    09 (NE) 01 "Hungoverheadcrack" Terror Jr 9
    10 (14) 10 "Say So (Vasco Remix)" Terror Jr 2 (1) [P]
    11 (NE) 01 "Have You" Terror Jr 11
    12 (RE) 10 "A Different Way" DJ Snake ft. Lauv 1 (1) [P]
    13 (NE) 01 "Favorite Bitch" Terror Jr 13
    14 (NE) 01 "Yamaguchi" Terror Jr 14
    15 (28) 25 "Heartbreaks" Terror Jr 1 (3) [4xP]
    16 (23) 05 "Mama" Clean Bandit ft. Ellie Goulding 3 [G]
    17 (08) 03 "Just Thought You Should Know" Betty Who 2 (1) [G]
    18 (NE) 01 "Maker" Terror Jr 18
    19 (RE) 03 "There's No Way" Lauv ft. Julia Michaels 8
    20 (RE) 14 "I Like Me Better" Lauv 1 (2) [2xP]
    21 (RE) 10 "Heaven Wasn't Made For Me" Terror Jr 1 (2) [P]
    22 (RE) 08 "Paris In The Rain" Lauv 1 (1) [P]
    23 (NE) 01 "Losers R Lovers" Terror Jr 23
    24 (NE) 01 "Pretty" Terror Jr 24
    25 (RE) 16 "Do Or Die" Terror Jr 1 (1) [2xP]
    26 (15) 07 "Lucky Strike" Troye Sivan 5 [G]
    27 (13) 11 "Solo" Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato 1 (2) [2xP]
    28 (NE) 01 "Loner" Terror Jr 28
    29 (11) 03 "Focus (Analog Version)" Allie X 3
    30 (26) 06 "Nevermind" Jess Glynne 2 (1) [P]

[GOLD]
    = 25+ total plays
    [PLAT]= 50+ total plays
    Last edited by phoenix98; 01-02-19 at 22:45.