Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boston - More Than A Feeling

Legend
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by Mon January 18th, 2010, 22:22

Another soft rock classic re-enters on iTunes!

Only #22 in UK, it would be great if this had a bigger second life!

#505 on iTunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSR6ZzjDZ94

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Mon January 18th, 2010, 22:52

how bout enough? Journey and Rage Against The Machine stand out as exceptions, and neither case should become a rule.
    for some reason... I'm here

by Mon January 18th, 2010, 23:07

Gotta love it. In 2010 the UK is suddenly discovering US arena rock of the 70's and 80's

Legend
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

by Tue January 19th, 2010, 07:57

Excellent song... one of the best rock anthems ever.

Surprised the UK didn't really catch on to it originally

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Tue January 19th, 2010, 10:49

One of my favorite rock songs ever along with Summer of 69

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by Tue January 19th, 2010, 10:53

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatin
    how bout enough? Journey and Rage Against The Machine stand out as exceptions, and neither case should become a rule.
    So you prefer girlbands, nauseatic dance a la Wiley and chav urban to fill the top 40?

More than a Feeling is indeed a top tune and easily my fav Boston song. Would be cool if UK finds out about Foreplay / Long Time and Amanda, too.
    Let's have a second referendum

by Tue January 19th, 2010, 12:01

Brilliant!

This track has now become inextricably linked with cult comedy show "Nighty Night", at least in my mind...

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Tue January 19th, 2010, 14:49

Quote Originally Posted by potojr
    So you prefer girlbands, nauseatic dance a la Wiley and chav urban to fill the top 40?
    no, I'd prefer if NEW good music came along instead of both idiotic attempts at reviving old songs and crappy modern music. the only way to go is forward

by Wed January 20th, 2010, 00:25

I'm really not getting why all these US AM radio rock hits got popular out of the sudden again - en masse.

I used to love More Than A Feeling to bits, but grew tired of it after some 1000 listens.

Legend
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by Wed January 20th, 2010, 02:02

no, I'd prefer if NEW good music came along instead of both idiotic attempts at reviving old songs and crappy modern music. the only way to go is forward
    Would you be saying that if say, Pet Shop Boys' Being Boring was suddenly popular or something obscure like The Indelicates? I'm not talking about campaigns, i'm talking about people simply discovering music - old, new, whatever.

by Wed January 20th, 2010, 02:32

Quote Originally Posted by Blondini
    Would you be saying that if say, Pet Shop Boys' Being Boring was suddenly popular or something obscure like The Indelicates? I'm not talking about campaigns, i'm talking about people simply discovering music - old, new, whatever.
    You have a good point there. I think it's wonderful if younger people discover older music that was never on their radar before. "More Than A Feeling" is a rock classic in the US so it's interesting to see how obscure it is over there. Not too surprising though since almost all of the "arena rock" bands like Boston, Journey, Styx, Foreigner, etc.... were much bigger stateside. Boston's s/t debut album has sold 17 million here, making it easily one of the biggest albums of all time.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Wed January 20th, 2010, 02:36

again, I don't really care. I'd love to see new Pet Shop Boys songs being more successful. or the Indelicates striking gold with 2nd album. I wouldn't want stuff like this to literally clog the charts. most recent example being a brand new Bob Dylan song denied a top 40 place by... Chris Rea's Christmas classic. much as it is fun that now everything can make the charts, I think old music should stay in the past. I mean, I'm all up for discovering something old, I do it all the time myself, but I don't think it should be done by the entire country at the same time. and for all the wrong reasons, too.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Wed January 20th, 2010, 02:44

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    Not too surprising though since almost all of the "arena rock" bands like Boston, Journey, Styx, Foreigner, etc.... were much bigger stateside.
    it's actually not that different these days. bands like Lifehouse, Dave Matthews Band, Matchbox Twenty, 3 Doors Down are almost entirely unknown in the UK. others get one hit (like Train) and fade back into obscurity. same with Styx having one top 10 hit and then nothing. Stateside rock has something about it that doesn't cross over to the UK very well. it's a question of appeal, really. it's not like the entire Journey's discography is gonna be dug out now. reasons for that lack of appeal are not that clear to me, but you guys don't usually let British rock bands have hits either, right? Western Europeans are most open-minded, we listen to everything

by Wed January 20th, 2010, 02:50

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    Not too surprising though since almost all of the "arena rock" bands like Boston, Journey, Styx, Foreigner, etc.... were much bigger stateside.
    it's actually not that different these days. bands like Lifehouse, Dave Matthews Band, Matchbox Twenty, 3 Doors Down are almost entirely unknown in the UK. others get one hit (like Train) and fade back into obscurity. same with Styx having one top 10 hit and then nothing. Stateside rock has something about it that doesn't cross over to the UK very well. it's a question of appeal, really. it's not like the entire Journey's discography is gonna be dug out now. reasons for that lack of appeal are not that clear to me, but you guys don't usually let British rock bands have hits either, right? Western Europeans are most open-minded, we listen to everything
    Yea, America is the worst in terms of closing it's borders to other countries. I still have yet to forgive America for giving Robbie the cold shoulder simply because of the "we're boycotting all things British because of the Spice Girls" mentality.

by Wed January 20th, 2010, 09:07

Western Europeans are most open-minded, we listen to everything
    Excuse me while I go off on a tangent...it's just that I find that statement quite unusual!

Working for a European organisation, I have colleagues from 36 countries, stretching from Iceland to Turkey. Being a child of the cold war era, I grew up with the strict definitions of "Western Europe" and "Eastern Europe". And now, I see some Polish and Hungarian colleagues visibly blanch when these countries are referred to as "Eastern European" - some of the people I know would prefer to be called "Central European". I've learned that it is very easy to cause offence or slight someone unintentionally when using geopolitical terms that don't match the other party's viewpoint. Look at the recent cancellation of the Islamic Solidarity Games, for instance, over an argument over the terms "Persian Gulf" vs "Arabian Gulf". I was also a little surprised when, in the opinions of my Mediterranean colleagues - and even some French from Normandy! - that both the Netherlands and Ireland are considered as "Northern European", a phrase I would not have used previously but would have considered interchangeable with the terms "Scandindavia/the Nordic countries". In Ireland, we tend to think purely in terms of East and West when it comes to Europe, preserving the concepts of North and South for our own little island.

But I don't know any Russians, and even though Russia's western edges lie in Europe, I am surprised to see that you apparently consider yourself as Western European. Forgive me, I'm not trying to be insensitive or abrasive, but I never expected that Russians would consider themselves European, let alone Western European. Are my assumptions complete balderdash? Or did I read too much into your use of "we" in that sentence? And if St. Petersburg lies in Western Europe - where is Eastern Europe?

(I may add that a large section of the British population may not consider themselves "European". And while the Irish are probably far more accepting of themselves as European, some terms used by the British and the Irish are often viewed with some amusement by my continental colleagues.

In Britain and Ireland it's quite common to refer to "Europe" as meaning the mainland of the continent, excluding Britain, or from an Irish context, excluding both Britain and Ireland, purely due to their island statuses. I've had to change some of my own stock phrases (to "the rest of Europe" or "mainland Europe") as a result in order to prevent giving the impression that I see myself and my country as being outside of, and apart from, the rest of the continent in more than just a purely geographical sense.)

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by Wed January 20th, 2010, 10:55

LOL, great post there Neil!

While, strictly geographically speaking you are absolutely right, I guess what Misha meant is that his musical taste fits more with that of the people in the UK or Ireland than that of the people in Russia, Kazakhstan or Belarus.

Coming from that region myself (and being lumped unfairly in the same "Eastern Europe" category with dictatorsips 5000 miles apart by ignorant Brits, French, Irish etc), I can see perfectyly where he is coming from, at least when it comes to music, as I never really identified with my fellow countrypeople either. I remember asking at every single CD store in my whole county, not city (i swear I am not exaggerating) for an album by the Jam and getting only blank stares and answers like "we never heard of them, but we just received the latest album by __________ (Insert local "turbofolk" / gipsy music etc crap).

Obviously all the rant above has a point only if Misha's "we" was not a typo
    Let's have a second referendum

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Wed January 20th, 2010, 16:13

lol, you know what. there was a typo in place here, but it wasn't "we". I confused East and West sorry guys
    thing is, in Russian East is "vostok", so it starts from the same letter as West, and even sounds similar, so I know lots of people learning the language who confuse them. so don't think too bad of me, I know the difference, just when I type too quickly, things like that can get away from time to time.

so, yes, I obviously meant Eastern Europe, not Western. and I do connect more with the tastes of Western European culture.

sorry

by Wed January 20th, 2010, 17:01

sorry guys
    thing is, in Russian East is "vostok", so it starts from the same letter as West, and even sounds similar, so I know lots of people learning the language who confuse them.
    Ah! As in "Vladivostok"? Cool!

so don't think too bad of me, I know the difference, just when I type too quickly, things like that can get away from time to time.

so, yes, I obviously meant Eastern Europe, not Western. and I do connect more with the tastes of Western European culture.

sorry
    No problem! I was just curious, that's all!

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

by Thu January 28th, 2010, 03:25

I love this song, it's a real good uplifting feel good track.

by Thu January 28th, 2010, 10:12

It's on the latest Barclaycard ad.
    You're sure it's Boston and not Gnarls Barclay?

Legend
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)

by Tue February 2nd, 2010, 09:29

I remember when in Beavis & Butthead they started singing "More Than A Feeling"
    I watched this when I was like 7 years old.
    Waffles are checked cookies