User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Corrs

by » Thu February 11th, 2010, 15:49

There have been a few reports in the Irish media over the past few days, including the one reproduced below, about a possible Corrs come-back.

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundalknews/Dundalk39s-must-famous-musical-family.6056914.jp
    The Dundalk Democrat[/url]]
    Dundalk's must famous musical family, The Corrs talk about a new album

DUNDALK's most famous musical family, The Corrs, are engaged in discussions about when to re-unite and start work on a new album.

Guitarist Jim told The Dundalk Democrat that the family have moved a step closer to getting back together again after a three-year hiatus.

"It's a possibility. We are talking about it right now. It's always been on the cards. We've been toying around with the idea for a while now," said Jim.

"There's nothing definite yet but at some stage in the future we would like to do another album. I imagine if we do it, the album will be a progression.

"It will have our own sound characteristic. We don't want to just re-hash what we've done in the past. We'd like to bring the sound forward.

He added: "I think it would be great to do an album. It's been a while since we've been in the studio. It would be good to get back to it.

"It's good fun touring but Caroline has three kids now and touring would be more difficult for her. She couldn't be away from them for long periods.

"We are just talking about whether or not we should do it at the moment. I think we will definitely do it; it's just a matter of deciding when we should do it.

"I still write a bit and work with ideas. I've a small set up. We are all writing bits and pieces. We would just come together with those ideas for the album and work collaboratively."

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu February 11th, 2010, 16:10

:-?

Despite its comparative "huge" success, "Breathless" is one of their poorest singles, in my opinion.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu February 11th, 2010, 16:11

Quote Originally Posted by aishawch
    Wow! Can't wait!
    Loved Breathless!
    “B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!”

“I’m staying right here.”

Legend
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu February 11th, 2010, 16:16

Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    :-?

Despite its comparative "huge" success, "Breathless" is one of their poorest singles, in my opinion.
    'Breathless' is fantastic! Not their best though. I think the beautiful 'Radio' is my fav.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu February 11th, 2010, 16:19

Quote Originally Posted by BanZai
    I think the beautiful 'Radio' is my fav.
    I forgot about Radio. Well all their songs are amazing. i'm not a big fan, but i like their music
    “B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!”

“I’m staying right here.”

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu February 11th, 2010, 17:37

I think Angel and Only When I Sleep are my favourites, however all of their singles are pretty good & enjoyable.

This is actually exciting - it's been a long time without them and I feel Andrea and Sharon's solo material has been explored and they'll come together naturally.

Breathless is pretty good I think as well. It's very Shania but still good.

I really hope they bring out some gems like Runaway, What Can I Do? I Never Really Loved You Anyway and Radio.

And showcasing how good Ireland is and not a joke a la Jedward.
    Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

by » Thu February 11th, 2010, 17:50

This is still only in the preliminary stages - and there is no guarantee that it will ever actually go ahead.

Jim Corr has gone off the rails in quite a big and worrying way over the last few years...and some commentators have wondered whether this would encourage his sisters to reform the group (and give him something constructive to fill his time with) or whether it would instead put them off working with him again as closely as they did previously.

To get an idea of how unhinged he now appears to be, you should have a look at his website. He was involved in a heated discussion with Ray D'Arcy on Today FM earlier this week for his contention that the recent Swine Flu epidemic was a planned conspiracy or a bioweapon; he surfaced during the Lisbon Treaty campaign last year to denounce it as a further campaign at introducing his feared New World Order; and there is plenty more conspiracy peddling at his website.

Here's how the Irish Sunday Times profiled him late last year when this new side of the man began to be revealed to the general public:

Quote Originally Posted by The Sunday Times
    Profile: Jim Corr

There is something strangely seductive about Jim Corr these days. The token boy in the family band has emerged as a geopolitical commentator of breathtaking confidence.

For weary web-surfers, jimcorr.com must be a reassuring haven, explaining as it does just about everything that is upsetting in this world. The September 11 terrorist attacks? Why, that was the work of George Bush’s government. The Lisbon treaty? A ploy to enslave the peoples of Europe. The global financial crisis? A masterfully engineered collapse of the world economy.

Then there’s the swine flu epidemic. “As crazy as it sounds, a growing number of people believe this to be a possible bio-weapon,” Corr explained in a recent e-mail. “After all, the virus exhibits unusual strains from different viruses across the globe.”

None of these phenomena is the result of a random, unpredictable world, according to Corr. Rather, they are signs that a shadowy elite is hell-bent on creating a “totalitarian One World Government with the subjugated masses underneath”.

How Corr, the driving force behind the band that brought celtic pop to the masses, stumbled upon the ugly truth of this “unfolding Orwellian nightmarish agenda” to oppress us all is something of a mystery. But he is not alone. Charlie Sheen, the American actor, reckons Osama Bin Laden was working for the Central Intelligence Agency in the run-up to the 9/11 attacks. He has published a transcript of a fictional encounter with President Barack Obama in which he explains how the official story of the attacks is a fraud. The American government blew up the buildings, he reckons.

Bizarre as this may seem to a mainstream audience, such views are remarkably prevalent in YouTube land. “You will meet people as I do occasionally [sic] who are unable to grasp the reality of what’s going on,” Corr explains on his website. “You may even meet them amongst family and friends but don’t get frustrated. It is understandably inconceivable for some people to contemplate that some governments at the behest of their globalist puppeteers could be staging terrorist attacks against their own populations, particularly for people whose reality doesn’t extend beyond the television set, which is being used highly effectively as a Weapon of Mass Deception.”

Corr, 45, is the father of a three-year-old boy, Brandon, whose mother is his former fianceé and former Miss Northern Ireland Gayle Williamson. The band he founded is on hiatus. Aside from various campaigns to enlighten us about the dark forces operating in the world, little is known about his day-to-day life.

His siblings are busy, however. Baby sister Andrea attempted a solo career which floundered, but she’s just married Brett Desmond, son of multimillionaire Dermot Desmond. Middle sister Caroline is married to property developer Frank Woods and is a mother of three. Sharon, the eldest of the girls, is also going solo, although her outing on The Late Late Show received mixed reviews.

Jim was a fixture on the social scenes of Dublin and Belfast for several years but he is now spotted only rarely, most recently at Andrea’s wedding. The latest gossip is that he is considering re-forming the band, which reportedly played together at Andrea’s nuptials. His sisters may agree, if only to stop their older brother from going off the rails.

Corr was born nine months after his parents, Gerry and Jean, married. Jean hailed from Donegal. Her father worked for the Customs Service and the family lived in several border towns before settling in Dundalk. When her husband died, Corr’s grandmother raised 11 children on her own.

Corr was close to both his mother and his grandmother. Jean was regarded as a local beauty and her voice compared favourably to Karen Carpenter’s. With Gerry, she played in several local bands. At one point, the couple set up their own band, Sound Affair.

A second boy, Gerard, was born three years later. Shortly after Sharon, the oldest girl, was born, a horrific road accident claimed three-year-old Gerard’s life. He was hit by a car outside the family home when he ran onto the road to retrieve a football. Six-year-old Jim witnessed the accident.

“I’m sure it’s affected me in ways I don’t realise,” he said. “But the trauma I experienced was nothing compared to what my parents went through. Still, it was hard for me to understand. He was my pal.”

Corr attended the local Christian Brothers school, Colaiste Ris. He admits he wasn’t much of a student. “Unfortunately, I was bored with school in general,” he said. “I was interested in science. I was shit at maths and history. I loved music. I could focus on music.”

After Corr left school, he travelled Europe as a jobbing musician, working for the likes of Linda Martin and Dolores Keane. When he returned to Dundalk, he rented a gate lodge on an estate near his family home. It was here that The Corrs was born. His three sisters would visit after school and rehearse in an upstairs room.

When Corr was asked to audition for The Commitments, he asked if he could bring his sisters along. The three girls caught the eye of John Hughes, himself a struggling musician at the time, who decided to become the fledgling group’s manager. He flew them to New York and sat the three girls on a sofa outside the door of David Foster, a producer who was working with Michael Jackson. Jim was left to one side. They got an audition and the following day had a deal with Atlantic. For 11 years, they toured a unique brand of celtic pop, all violins and warbling vocals.

Jim became something of a socialite, enjoying fame and fortune while developing a combative attitude to paparazzi. His tendency to date high-profile models clashed with a fierce desire to keep his private life under wraps. He dated Andrea Roche, a former Miss Ireland and a regular in the gossip pages. But Corr was openly non-committal about the relationship in interviews. Chrissy Iley, who interviewed him for The Sunday Times in 2001, surmised that, like many men, Corr had a commitment phobia.

By then, his beloved mother, Jean, had died of a rare lung disease. Corr, though 37, could hear his own biological clock ticking. “But I’d want to make sure it was with the right person,” he said about settling down.

Shortly afterwards, it appeared that Corr had met “the one”, in the shape of model Williamson. He divided his time between Dublin and an apartment in Crawfordsburn, near Belfast. One of his neighbours was the Rev Ian Paisley, who had a retirement home. Corr got a helicopter licence and was a frequent user of the apartment scheme’s helipad.

Jim has his website and his theories. “You will see programmes and articles trying to explain away a believer in so-called ‘conspiracy theories’ as having a ‘troubled background’ or being of ‘unsound mind’, or of the psychological need that people have to invent stories in times of great trauma and upheaval,” he tells visitors.

“When you witness myself and/or others like me being called ‘conspiracy theorists’, don’t let that shut down your own critical thinking as it’s designed to do.”

He concludes: “May the divine force be with us all.” Amen, Jim.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu February 11th, 2010, 17:58

“May the divine force be with us all.”

I love him. He's went from the one no one noticed to someone with passion. I hope he is well though, I'm sure he is.

I imagine it will happen. The Corrs would never split up, they'll still be performing when they're in their old age.

A new album of new songs though would be fabulous though and quite wanted by fans.
    Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu February 11th, 2010, 18:10

I LOVE The Corrs, and it would be AMAZING if they did do another album, no matter how successful it was.

'Breathless' is probably my favourite single by them. Its so gloriously sunny and warm.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri August 13th, 2010, 11:29

Sharon confirmed this past Sunday on Weekend Wogan that they will do something again in the "not too distant future"....probably "next year"!

She's releasing her own album next month and Andrea is still due to release a 2nd solo album (which has already been recorded).
    -Mathias

"It's the moment you think you can't, you'll discover that you can" - Céline

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri August 13th, 2010, 13:31

It'll be great to have them back again! I do miss them and listen to their music all the time. I kind of get the feeling that they'll always get back together - no matter how successful their music is doing. They have a solid fanbase and their tours are always quite successful.

I wasn't too keen on their 'Home' album, but the others are all classics in their own right I think. My faves include 'Only When I Sleep', 'Queen of Hollywood', 'Runaway', 'Somebody for Someone' and 'Radio' to name but a few.
    Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu January 19th, 2012, 14:32

I miss them! I love all their albums!

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2013, 14:47

Rediscovering their greatest hits this weekend. Absolute gems - I rme we thinking there wasn't anything really like them at the time (mainstream), and IMO have left a bit of a hole. Runaway and What Can I Do are still great songs. Any other fans?
    SLOW DOWN PAPI... NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2013, 14:49

I am a huge fan! They are incredible! I love all their songs! I wish they would reunite!

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2013, 20:23

I'd love them to reunite, but do they even want to? At this point in their lives it could be that they're just happy playing together for family and friends, away from big crowds. I do wish they'd do a Victoria Beckham and do it all again to show the kids that 'Mummy was a popstar!'. Not sure if they could do an arena tour though?
    SLOW DOWN PAPI... NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun November 24th, 2013, 05:18

I think they're all busy with their kids! Anyway, I would love for them to have another Unplugged album!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun November 24th, 2013, 11:11

Going to move this to General Artists Discussion since this is more of a general discussion....shall merge it with the existing topic.
    Let's embrace the point of no return.

Legend
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun November 24th, 2013, 12:09

Andrea Corr is Beautiful !

I had the biggest crush on her back in the day.
    "Music starts with M and ends with C"

Mariah Carey

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun November 24th, 2013, 14:35

I forgot which TV show in the US they appeared in. the host made fun of them in a good way! He said "I should have been in band camp in Ireland where the band geeks are smokin' hot because band geeks here never looked as hot as those three girls right there" or something to that effect!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat June 13th, 2015, 09:14

So excited to hear from them again!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat June 13th, 2015, 09:41

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack
    So excited to hear from them again!
    Was listening to Borrowed Heaven a few weeks back, and love Hideaway

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat June 13th, 2015, 12:47

This is great news!! Glad they're back together - can't wait to hear what they come up with. Still listen to their music today, their albums are all great. My least favourite was 'Home' but the others are all awesome.
    Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.