10. Hold an Old Friend's Hand

I could go ON AND ON

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue February 23rd, 2010, 21:52

I was only born in 1989 so I only really know "I Think We're Alone Now" which I love.

Legend
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 24th, 2010, 03:12

Debbie Gibson was much better.
    Only like THAT single.
    I have to say she looks amazing now.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 24th, 2010, 04:43

Quote Originally Posted by Blondini
    Only like THAT single.
    Who? Debbie?

Tiffany was always much more genuine IMO, better, more soulful-pop/rock voice... Debbie just came across FAKE to me, "Only in My Dreams" was terrific but aside from that FLAT, DULL, TUNELESS, POORLY DATED, STALE all come to mind. And after her commercial downfall she just has gotten worse and worse, from that awful teen-pop effort she put out a few years ago to the endless reality show appearances. I mean Tiffany hasn't exactly done wonders since her commercial decline either but The Color of Silence was good and she seems to have a good head on her shoulders.

TIFFANY. MALL TOUR. NOW.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 24th, 2010, 04:51

I actually complained to my local indie shop when they invited Indigo Girls to perform there when IG and Tiffany played the local Pride festival. IG bore the hell out of me but I would consider going to see Tiffany sing her oldies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 24th, 2010, 15:21

I have a few songs by her in my i-Pod. What amazes me is how short her shelf life was--even for a teen pop star. Debbie Gibson's first two albums were successful, and her third one at least reached the Top 40. But with Tiffany, she had a No. 1 album and two No. 1 singles in 1987/1988. But by 1989, she only managed to score one more with "All This Time" before disappearing from the charts altogether.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 24th, 2010, 15:26

Quote Originally Posted by Dreams
    Only like THAT single.
    Who? Debbie?

Tiffany was always much more genuine IMO, better, more soulful-pop/rock voice... Debbie just came across FAKE to me, "Only in My Dreams" was terrific but aside from that FLAT, DULL, TUNELESS, POORLY DATED, STALE all come to mind. And after her commercial downfall she just has gotten worse and worse, from that awful teen-pop effort she put out a few years ago to the endless reality show appearances. I mean Tiffany hasn't exactly done wonders since her commercial decline either but The Color of Silence was good and she seems to have a good head on her shoulders.

TIFFANY. MALL TOUR. NOW.
    Debbie Gibson is actually a classically trained pianist, and she wrote and produced all of her own material. I think if she hadn't been marketed as a teen idol, she would have lasted longer and garnered more respect.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 24th, 2010, 23:54

Quote Originally Posted by DivaLasVegas82
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreams
    Only like THAT single.
    Who? Debbie?

TIFFANY. MALL TOUR. NOW.
    Debbie Gibson is actually a classically trained pianist, and she wrote and produced all of her own material. I think if she hadn't been marketed as a teen idol, she would have lasted longer and garnered more respect.
    I think the songwriter/producer thing was pretty widely known and documented. She's talented in that aspect, yes, her style just isn't my bag.

And I'm not sure how they could've marketed her anything BUT a teen idol, her material that she wrote/produced was 100% bubblegum pop up until the 90s.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 24th, 2010, 23:58

Quote Originally Posted by DivaLasVegas82
    I have a few songs by her in my i-Pod. What amazes me is how short her shelf life was--even for a teen pop star. Debbie Gibson's first two albums were successful, and her third one at least reached the Top 40. But with Tiffany, she had a No. 1 album and two No. 1 singles in 1987/1988. But by 1989, she only managed to score one more with "All This Time" before disappearing from the charts altogether.
    Don't forget the top 40 smash "Radio Romance"

But yes, she fell out of favor with the public very quickly, even by pop industry standards. Let's not forget how she went from the main headliner of her own tour to the opening act for New Kids on the Block right in the middle of the tour.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu February 25th, 2010, 00:03

I think Debbie was more "talented" than Tiffany, but still at the end of the day I always thought Tiffany's music was more fun.

I never understood why Tiffany and Debbie both fell out of favor within 2-3 years and can't get arrested if they try, but yet Britney and Christina seemed to not have the teen thing held against them and they both transitioned well into an adult career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu February 25th, 2010, 08:30

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    I think Debbie was more "talented" than Tiffany, but still at the end of the day I always thought Tiffany's music was more fun.

I never understood why Tiffany and Debbie both fell out of favor within 2-3 years and can't get arrested if they try, but yet Britney and Christina seemed to not have the teen thing held against them and they both transitioned well into an adult career.
    I think because Britney and Christina made a bigger imprint on the music world and pop culture. Furthermore, MTV rolled out the red carpet for the teen pop stars of the 1990s. Britney, Christina, Backstreet Boys, and NSYNC were all over "Total Request Live," which actually became popular because of the teen explosion. And when they released new material, MTV devoted weekends to promoting their music. Debbie Gibson and Tiffany had none of that. MTV only did that for more adult-oriented artists like Madonna, MJ, Janet, etc.

Legend
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat February 27th, 2010, 04:50

Plus Debbie and Tiff did not convince when they tried to become mature/ sexual. Debbie's Shock Your Mama was atrocious! Britney and Christina were sexual from the start.

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue July 7th, 2015, 12:17

Tiffany>>>>>>>>

I prefer Tiffany over Debbie. I do like a few songs from Debbie though. Tiffany's debut album was great. Danny, Could've Been, Promises Made, Should've Been, etc are all gems.

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun June 4th, 2017, 00:39

Tiffany: Love Letter to the LGBTQ Community

I have always been extremely grateful for the LGBTQ community’s passionate support throughout my career. I believe music heals and connects people across all communities -- especially within the LGBTQ community.

Eight years ago I was at a fundraiser concert in rural Nevada. It was so poorly organized that I was frustrated by the time I hit the stage. Following the concert I hosted a meet-and-greet with fans, and this is where I was reminded of the power of music and storytelling. I met a 17-year-old girl who approached me with a sadness about her. She told me she had cried all night listening to my music because she could relate to the loneliness in some of the songs and these songs expressed exactly how she felt. During our conversation she informed me she was a transgender girl who was going to kill herself following the concert because of the hardship of living at home with her mother and stepfather who did not approve of her. I told her to hang in there, as she was almost 18, and to move away from home and find a job and a support system that love and cares about her, even though it would be hard.

I eventually connected her with some friends in Los Angeles in the LGBTQ community. This was a life changing and uplifting moment for us both. As an artist, this form of healing and inspiration is all we can hope for. Through music, no one is ever alone. Thank you for your continuous support.

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 24th, 2017, 17:48

Happy 30th Anniversary "I Think We're Alone Now"

Legend
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat August 26th, 2017, 21:09

Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak
    Happy 30th Anniversary "I Think We're Alone Now"
    cheezus I can't believe it has been that long!

what a fun pop song!

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat August 26th, 2017, 21:58

I'm always amazed how her popularity felt so rapidly from having a number one album and 2 back to back number one singles, to only one top ten hit and an album barely making the top 20. Debbies popularity fell alot too but atleast she had 4 charting albums.

Legend
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat August 26th, 2017, 22:06

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlu84
    I'm always amazed how her popularity felt so rapidly from having a number one album and 2 back to back number one singles, to only one top ten hit and an album barely making the top 20. Debbies popularity fell alot too but atleast she had 4 charting albums.
    she stopped recording pop and fought with her manager and then took forever to release more stuff :-? :(

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun August 27th, 2017, 20:58

Quote Originally Posted by AndiIversen
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawlu84
    she stopped recording pop and fought with her manager and then took forever to release more stuff :-? :(

But wasn't her her second album released a year after her debut? And it was already a flop compared to it.

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun August 27th, 2017, 22:18

By the 1990's, music was beginning to shift. R&B was growing popular. I don't necessarily think her second album was a flopped, it did go platinum and score a Top Ten hit. I'd say it was a bit underwhelming in comparison to her debut era which was wildly and massively successful. She attempted to adapt with the change in the music but R&B didn't suit her at all.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue June 11th, 2019, 03:09

She was never my idol as she had her career peak even before I was born, but I like the fact that, 30 years into her career, she's still recording music and back on the stage with 'NKOTB'. It's great that 80s and 90s acts have recently found the courage to give their fans from the heyday what they were asking for all the time. Additionally, Tiffany has aged very well and still looks like a beautiful and natural woman, which is not a given in that industry.