• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockTheBoat
    Personal Assistant
    • 02 Sep 2002

Samantha Mumba - Gotta Tell You (2000)

Hard to believe this single was released 10 years ago

A classic song, probably my favourite from Sam, and was a huge success. The video was great too, filmed in Spain and involved her performing stunts and jumping off buildings. Where she jumps out of the apartments onto the ground during the first chorus - I've actually stayed in those apartments many years ago Claim to fame or what?

It's ashame she released that god awful Mickey Modelle version a couple of years ago - doesn't come close to the original IMO.
    Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.
  • FreakyFlyBry
    Legend
    • 02 Nov 2002

Loved it! Still one of my favourites, 10 years later.
    Freaky Fly Bry's Top 100

M4B Charts Central

Comment

• JimJim
      • 29 Jun 2008

This is one of my favourite songs of the noughties, I can't explain why, but I love it and pretty much always have.
      Check out my podcast: Pop Puzzle Music Trivia.

Available on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music and more.

Comment

• Benjamin
        Legend
        • 29 Mar 2005

Her best by far! Super catchy pop classic.
        Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

• Thriller
          Administrator
          • 13 Dec 2003

I never knew until recently it did so well in the US! Not surprised though, its sound totally sums up that era of great pop music.

Comment

• Nava22
            Manager
            • 22 Mar 2005

I stumbled across this the other day on an old 'Pure R&B' CD (event tho it's clearly Pop). Can't believe it was 10 years ago. I remember it being on the radio every 5 minutes just like it were yesterday!

I preferred Body II Body tho...
            "Free me, FreE.M.I!" - sing it Joss!!

Comment

The Sleazesisters remix of this was great. But her best effort to date were the DJ Disciple remixes of "Always Come Back To Your Love".

Sticking to radio edits - Body II Body was better.

Comment

• crazycool
                Legend
                • 30 Apr 2007

Originally posted by BanZai
                Her best by far! Super catchy pop classic.

Comment

• hun
                  The Diva
                  • 13 Feb 2010

My favourite song by her. I LOVED this song. I have it on CD.

Comment

• JimJim
                    • 29 Jun 2008

This just came on with my music archives on shuffle and I just had to come back once more and rant about how much I love this song - it's like the perfect pop song!

I can see why she was 'voted black Britney'
                    Check out my podcast: Pop Puzzle Music Trivia.

Available on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music and more.

Comment

• 1990sFan
                      • 05 Apr 2011

I love Samantha Mumba (I think I am one of her biggest fans) Gotta Tell You was one of my anthems when I was like 4/5 years old. She should come back!
                      Na, Na What's My Name?
                      Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Come On

Who is Na Na?

Comment

• Charmbracelet
                        Superstar
                        • 09 May 2010

Still love this song, and it reminds me of my childhood. I can't decide whether I like this or Baby Come On Over best.

I wonder what would have happened if she had chosen to record Sound Of The Underground instead of Gotta Tell You? Do you think she would still be in the charts today?

Also, she recorded a song called "Personalities" for a comeback album which was never released, and it sounded AMAZING. I am bitter it never leaked.

Comment

• 1990sFan
                          • 05 Apr 2011

Originally posted by Charmbracelet
                          Still love this song, and it reminds me of my childhood. I can't decide whether I like this or Baby Come On Over best.

I wonder what would have happened if she had chosen to record Sound Of The Underground instead of Gotta Tell You? Do you think she would still be in the charts today?

Also, she recorded a song called "Personalities" for a comeback album which was never released, and it sounded AMAZING. I am bitter it never leaked.
                          I wanted to hear Personalities in full too.

Always Come Back To Your Love is my fave song....EVER!!

Also, she had the choice between recording "I'm Right Here" and "Sound Of The Underground" and if she chose the latter then I think that it could have been her first UK No.1
                          Na, Na What's My Name?

Who is Na Na?

Comment

• Shorty
                            Legend
                            • 20 Feb 2004

It's amazing how successful Sam actually was with her first album, even "Lately" the fifth single, got to #6!

"Gotta Tell You" is a pop classic

Who else has heard the unreleased second album Woman? It's brilliant, I love every single song. My favourites are Can You Deliver?, Relationships, Shuttin You Down (which was rumoured to be a single), Read My Mind and Branded With A Kiss.

Personalities? I wonder if this song made the unreleased album under a different title? People have heard a clip of it? How does it go?
                            Jon Moxley. Seth Rollins. Roman Reigns. ❤❤❤

THE SHIELD. 🤜👊🤛 2012 - 2019.

Comment

• 1990sFan
                              • 05 Apr 2011

Originally posted by Shorty
                              It's amazing how successful Sam actually was with her first album, even "Lately" the fifth single, got to #6!

Who else has heard the unreleased second album Woman? It's brilliant, I love every single song. My favourites are Can You Deliver?, Relationships, Shuttin You Down (which was rumoured to be a single), Read My Mind and Branded With A Kiss.

Personalities? I wonder if this song made the unreleased album under a different title? People have heard a clip of it? How does it go?
                              Where can you get the songs from Woman?

Oh and Personalities goes like;
                              "I got multiple personalities inside of me, let my other personality come out and say...'she's a freak and if she likes it she'll try anything' It takes a real man to see that part of me"
                              Na, Na What's My Name?

Who is Na Na?

Comment

• Shorty
                                Legend
                                • 20 Feb 2004

Originally posted by 1990sFan

Where can you get the songs from Woman?

Oh and Personalities goes like;
                                "I got multiple personalities inside of me, let my other personality come out and say...'she's a freak and if she likes it she'll try anything' It takes a real man to see that part of me"
                                Unfortunately I downloaded the songs from Woman years and years ago, we're talking in 2005. So I have no idea whether you'd be able to find them now.

It's a shame the album never came out as it's very good, and I actually prefer it to her debut
                                Jon Moxley. Seth Rollins. Roman Reigns. ❤❤❤

THE SHIELD. 🤜👊🤛 2012 - 2019.

Comment

• Star
                                  Legend
                                  • 04 Aug 2006

I think it was a new track on the re-release of the album.

Comment

• 1990sFan
                                    • 05 Apr 2011

Originally posted by Star
                                    I think it was a new track on the re-release of the album.
                                    Lately was on the original album. The only new tracks on the re-release were "Baby Come On Over (New Version)", "Don't Need You To (Tell Me I'm Pretty), "The Boy (Ft. Omero Mumba) and "Always Come Back To Your Love (Without Rap)."
                                    Na, Na What's My Name?

Who is Na Na?

Comment

• RockTheBoat
                                      Personal Assistant
                                      • 02 Sep 2002

Omero Mumba Oh dear, I remember his rap on 'The Boy', very cringe worthy!

I wasn't that impressed with the 'Woman' album, haven't heard it for years now, but I seem to remember it being very generic watered down Americanised R&B.
                                      Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

Comment

• GetBack
                                        Legend
                                        • 11 Jun 2010

I remember seeing this in the Hot 100 Top 10! I wonder why she stopped releasing albums! :-?

Comment

Working...