Thread: Gap Year after school

by Tue March 23rd, 2010, 21:12

Im probably going to be taking a gap year after school next year to go travelling, just wanna keep a relaxed buzz going, plus have a heap of mates doing the same thing so well no doubt meet up somewhere while doing it. Does anybody have anything to chuck in on what the good places are? Think Im fairly sure of where to go but always great to hear another side. Going to try go somewhere laid back and fresh (preferably with snow as Ive been boarding for a while, plus somewhere with outdoor concerts would be great). Let me know!

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Tue March 23rd, 2010, 23:52

Colorado in the U.S. for snowboarding

Cities in the U.S. you should visit are San Francisco, New York, Washington D.C., and Boston.
    You're like a bad penny =)

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed March 24th, 2010, 16:08

I dont have any good suggestions about where to go unfortunately, but i'm jealous of you in a way.

It was my plan to take a gap year, earn money, travel, but I didnt really want to go alone, and all my friends are ploughing on to Uni. My parents were absolutely horrified at the idea of me taking a year off, they seemed to think it'd be a lazy year, but tbf, I say go for it, you only live once, and we've been boxed up in school for years.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by Wed March 24th, 2010, 22:02

I'm actually taking a year off of school right now! I was all psyched about going to med school 2 years ago, so I didn't even consider taking a gap year back then, but I quickly realized that studying medicine was not at all what I imagined it would be. So I finished my first year, got my Propedeuse (a first years diploma) and considered taking some time off.
    I decided to keep studying though, so I chose something else (Industrial Design) but the entire faculty was SUCH A MESS! I tried to get transferred to another university, but they wouldn't let me, since my current university did not have a clear overview of the things we'd studied already. So basically I was forced to stay there or drop out of college. Again I finished my first year, got my P, and finally decided to take a gap year. I'd heard so many great things from friends who'd travelled to the US and Australia/NZ (if you want, I could ask them exactly where they went) so I was really excited to do some traveling myself. The plan was to save a bit of money, and then travel for at least 6 months. But I got into a bad car accident in November, which kinda threw things off, as you might imagine.

Aside from the accident though, I'd definitely recommend taking a year off to everyone, even if you're not going to travel around. It's been so nice to have some time to myself, to be more spontaneous instead of planning everything around school, and just to basically have time to think. Obviously, I won't be doing much traveling anymore though, I'm just gonna go to NYC sometime in May, and I'll see how long I'll be staying once I'm there (probably just a few weeks).

Long story I know, I'm sorry! But I hope you have a great year next year - keep us updated!

by Thu March 25th, 2010, 00:02

Awesome replies, thanks for that Yep Tom I figure I'll never get another chance like it, although there's no reason you can't just take a year off work and do it later though. Thanks for the reply Murat, gutted to hear about the car crash but cool that you're still doing it. I think I'm gonna go to France as I guess that's reasonably close, never thought about NZ but will definitely check it out. We should make this the official gap year thread of UK Mix, keep people updated on what the developments are

by Mon March 29th, 2010, 23:31

Got my options narrowed down, check it

A) BC - Canada (expensive)

B) France - Not really that far from home, keen on a challenge. Although this picture is probably enough of a challenge in the boarding dept

C) Austria - Heard is also expensive

by Thu April 8th, 2010, 23:52

Anybody know of decent music festivals in the places mentioned? Just realised I can't go without my fix for a whole year! This footage from Austria looks fairly decent, not too sure about the DJ wearing that singlet though... Very Austrian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjNoDn19 ... re=related

There's also the snowbombing festival there, which looks pretty legit.

How's your year going Murat? Don't suppose any of your mates were doing music type things at their destinations?

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

by Fri April 9th, 2010, 06:44

I always see the topic tittle "Gay Year after school"
    nekoo.cz - follow me

Legend
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

by Fri April 9th, 2010, 20:53

Quote Originally Posted by nekoo3372

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri April 9th, 2010, 20:55

Tbh though, I love travelling so much, and just the idea of being 'rootless' as I call it, is so nice, i'd never want to come back.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by Sun April 11th, 2010, 17:29

Quote Originally Posted by Subbed
    How's your year going Murat? Don't suppose any of your mates were doing music type things at their destinations?
    Aww, it's going great, thanks for asking! Totally forgot about this topic, sorry for not checking in earlier... And to answer your question; no, not really, not in those regions you posted anyway. :(

Keep us updated though, even if you don't get responses right away, it's fun to see how people plan their lives for a few months/year without having to deal with school/work etc.

by Wed April 14th, 2010, 01:36

Haha I'm not so sure I'd consult the internet on that if I decided to spend a year cruising around doing that sort of thing

Quote Originally Posted by Tom92
    Tbh though, I love travelling so much, and just the idea of being 'rootless' as I call it, is so nice, i'd never want to come back.
    Yeah I just wanna bring the bare essentials, not shower for a little bit and come back with some whack stories

Quote Originally Posted by Murat

Aww, it's going great, thanks for asking! Totally forgot about this topic, sorry for not checking in earlier... And to answer your question; no, not really, not in those regions you posted anyway. :(

Keep us updated though, even if you don't get responses right away, it's fun to see how people plan their lives for a few months/year without having to deal with school/work etc.
    Yeah for sure, will post back up here when I decide to see if anyone has info about the place I choose. Thinking southern Hemisphere now, bit more of a journey and challenge.

Anyone throwing their hat in the ring is most welcome

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

by Wed April 14th, 2010, 01:51

Haha I'm not so sure I'd consult the internet on that if I decided to spend a year cruising around doing that sort of thing
    and if yes, then you should start on different site
    nekoo.cz - follow me

by Wed April 14th, 2010, 08:44

Quote Originally Posted by oasisbobo

sad but funny

by Sun April 18th, 2010, 22:08

Alright decided on NZ, I get this -

And they do pretty well for concerts - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFN7-7kz ... re=related

What do you guys reckon? Thanks for all the suggestions, pretty happy to choose here really, cant wait

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Mon April 19th, 2010, 00:35

Alright decided on NZ, I get this -
    And they do pretty well for concerts - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFN7-7kz ... re=related
    Um, I live in NZ and I don't think we do well on concerts at all We only got a decent arena in Auckland to have them in 2007 (and we're the biggest city in the country, how sad is that LOL) And that footage is from the Big Day Out which was in January.

I wouldn't come to NZ in the next couple of months, we're going into winter (unless you like that and want to go skiing or something). Stay away from Auckland (where I live) in June, July and August, all it does is rain here in winter

It doesn't help but you should have come this summer, we had a fantastic summer, it hasn't rained properly in over three and a half months! We're almost in drought conditions, but the weather is fabulous right now.
    I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!

by Thu April 22nd, 2010, 23:47

Haha yeah I won't be going for a while but the plan is to be over there in winter mainly. Meeting up with a couple of mates over there for boarding and shit. What advice would you give for heading there? Will there be any issues with Visas etc?

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    PINKFRIDAY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Thu April 29th, 2010, 16:49

I went on a gap year in 2003 (yikes I'm old ;p) it was awesome, we trekked around the himalayas, and I even met my current girlfriend there. She was an expedition leader with the company I went with (trek force?) its the best thing I've ever done
    be what you want

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu April 29th, 2010, 21:06

Quote Originally Posted by swannyswish
    And I just CHUNDERED EVERYWHERE!
    I came into this thread hoping no one had mentioned this (I almost Ctrl+F'd it ) but you beat me to it!

I went to Pera. No Pera, darling, Pera
    I sing for the things money can't buy me.

by Tue May 18th, 2010, 23:13

After wiping vomit from my keyboard I managed to find some cool info at http://www.goalltheway.to/newzealand/from_uk-ireland/

Shorty what do you think of the vids there? Looks pretty legitimate to me

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Sat May 22nd, 2010, 11:36

Will there be any issues with Visas etc?
    Well, that depends on where you're from NZ is pretty relaxed though, so you shouldn't have any trouble, as long you don't bring anything illegal into the country LOL

And some random advice, if you go to the South Island be sure to bring lots of warm clothing, it gets pretty cold down there (I read up in the thread you only want to bring the bare essentials, make a coat a bare essential ) - the North Island gets cold too but not as bad.

And if you do end up coming to Auckland, be prepared for changeable weather - for example, yesterday it poured with rain all day but today was brilliantly sunny.
    I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!

by Fri June 21st, 2019, 10:59

Are you sure you dont want to continue studying? Or do you just want to take a break for a few months? If anything I can recommend you a really cool site Edusson AU to study. And this is really proven help and I myself used assignment writers many times. So I am waiting for your answer.