Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Björk

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Thu September 30th, 2010, 12:28

Björk Pays Tribute to Fashion Designer Alexander McQueen

It's been seven months since renowned fashion designer Alexander McQueen (born Lee Alexander McQueen) took his own life at his London home. He was just one month shy of his 41st birthday.

Some of the world's biggest stars have donned some of McQueen's most dramatic styles on the red carpet, including Nicole Kidman, Gwen Stefani, Sandra Bullock, and Lady Gaga. Just over a week ago, about 1,200 colleagues and friends, including Sarah Jessica Parker and Vogue's Anna Wintour, attended a memorial service in his honor at London's St. Paul's Cathedral.

Björk was also in attendance and sang Billie Holiday's "Gloomy Sunday" in tribute to her longtime friend and collaborator. She shares some of her fondest memories of McQueen at GQ UK and on her personal blog

"I felt Lee's raw connection with nature and birth and death was very refreshing. When I moved to London, being from Iceland, I sometimes found the self-importance in the UK's obsession with the decay of its empire boring, to insist the whole world is dying with them. This urban apocalyptic aesthetic is still a bit overdriving, a bit teenage really... it mostly just reveals its impotency."

McQueen's most recognizable work with Björk is his icy-cool cover art for her fourth album, 1997's critically-acclaimed Homogenic. He also directed the wildly imaginative video for Homegenic's fourth single, "Alarm Call." Her extraordinary bell-shaped gown featured in the video for "Who Is It (Carry My Joy on the Left, Carry My Pain on the Right)," the second single from her 2004 effort, Medúlla, was also created by McQueen
    Alarm Call video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCtzQ6Kb ... r_embedded

Who Is It?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgk360PZJ7w
    (The video version of this song... Amazing!!!)

Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
    and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Thu September 30th, 2010, 12:35

Björk performing Gloomy Sunday (arrangement by Jónas Sen) on the memorial service for Alexander McQueen St Paul's Cathedral in London during the London Fashion Week:

Live! (audio only) - I really love her vocals!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMwkmoiOWcE

Official version (with Björk)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCEJtUNe ... re=related
    Luc

and you are no exception

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Thu September 30th, 2010, 12:42

That performance was just magical. I just got an out of body experience. Bjork felt a connection with Alexander. Maybe he was as imaginative as her. RIP.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Thu September 30th, 2010, 12:46

Quote Originally Posted by skapunk
    That performance was just magical. I just got an out of body experience. Bjork felt a connection with Alexander. Maybe he was as imaginative as her. RIP.
    Let us hold hands skapunk!!
    My internal organs are shivering!

Here is a "video" of the performance:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xexi6s ... o-al_music

This track came as a surprise today..
    Her vocals makes me a bit sad or vulnerable, too bad it isnt avaliable on iTunes - I would love to have this version in HQ.

Her voice always gives me a sense of the natural origin of earth. Truly emotional. It hits deep!
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Thu September 30th, 2010, 12:54

"Death is a dream
    for in death I'm caressing you
    with the last breath of my soul
    I'll be blessing you"
    Luc

and you are no exception

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Thu September 30th, 2010, 13:16

That performance is just echoing in and out of me. I can feel it resonating somewhere deep down. I feel what you are feeling Vindrag. There is just something about her voice with is rustically enchanting. I get that feeling a lot in 'Unravel'. I think she really feels what she sings. She gets into the whole concept, and shapes the song the way she feels it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Thu September 30th, 2010, 13:57

You described it even better than I did!!

The organ is a very emotionally powerful instrument when used in a place like this arrangement. It is not the first time Björk sings to similar music, I hope her next album contains anything fragile and melancholic like this song. Something like Desired Constellation? Not with many beats, just simple like this.

DEAR GOD, PLEASE HELP ME!
    I get goose bumps around my heart when she sings Gloomy Sunday!!
    Luc

and you are no exception

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Thu September 30th, 2010, 16:27

Her songs are much stronger without many beats! Her voice is powerful and diverse enough in its own. Maybe that's why she could easily pull off one whole album "Medulla" solely on the strength of her voice. And it is so amazing how she puts in unusual sounds in her songs, like shuffling cards in Hidden Place, heavy boot tapping on wooden floor in Unravel. She is just amazing.

by » Thu September 30th, 2010, 18:04

Way to go, stealing the show at a funeral!

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Thu September 30th, 2010, 21:28

maybe? MAYBE! google image his designs also Bad Romance, he's really creative :(

btw he directed Alarm Call, amazing video

I love Gloomy Sunday! it's haunting, I want to see another angle though
    I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(?)_/¯

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Fri October 1st, 2010, 17:45

Medulla ... it felt like all my physics was transformed when I discovered my relationship with this album. "If you ask yourself, now patiently, and carefully - Who is it?"
    Possibly more on the question, "Who am I?" .

"A young tired" man can only bow to such divine inspiration, and be grateful! I saw today that the remix video to just this single was on iTunes, and I have fantasized about embracing it. The sound quality is now complete.

And want to add that I feel sorry for all those who claims Medulla as a failed attempt.

Isländsk konst
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgk360PZJ7w
    Luc

and you are no exception

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed November 17th, 2010, 15:34

I was trying to search from a long time what instrument was used in "Desired Constellation" and I found this...

...the atmospheric haze that dominates "Desired Constellation" was created from a sample of Björk singing the phrase "I'm not sure what to do with it" from "Hidden Place" on her previous album, Vespertine.
    Whoa! I can't believe it. It sounds so magical.

P.S: I just can't get enough of 'Gloomy Sunday'...I just can't stop playing it. My friend says that I am getting suicidal and he is keeping a watch over me!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Thu December 16th, 2010, 13:07

After looking at the play counts, I realised how much I love 'Hyperballad'! I never knew I listened to it so much!

I love the innocence in the lyrics. To a layman, the lyrics would seem as if written by a suicidal kid (because of 'Imagine what my body would sound like, slamming against those rocks' line), but its so honest, pure and true. Love her for this amazing song.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sat December 18th, 2010, 13:28

'Wanderlust' has to be one of her best videos! Such a beautiful enchanting video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Onwb...eature=related

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Fri December 24th, 2010, 14:03

Anyways...I am so lost into the videos from 'Volta' era. Gosh, how I underrated this era. Its as brilliant as ever! Oceania and Wanderlust are pure brilliance.
    Shame on you!
    Volta is absolutely brilliant in all kind of ways, the album is so damn consistent and almost perfection, the videos are outstanding, the tour and her style.

Everything about it - AMAZING!!
    Luc

and you are no exception

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Fri December 24th, 2010, 14:13

Quote Originally Posted by Vindrag
    Anyways...I am so lost into the videos from 'Volta' era. Gosh, how I underrated this era. Its as brilliant as ever! Oceania and Wanderlust are pure brilliance.
    Shame on you!
    Volta is absolutely brilliant in all kind of ways, the album is so damn consistent and almost perfection, the videos are outstanding, the tour and her style.

Everything about it - AMAZING!!
    Absolutely!I was encaptured by Debut, Post and Homogenic for so long, I never really got into Medulla and Volta. But now I am realizing I missed so much for so long. 'Triumph Of A Heart','Mouth's Cradle','Desired Constellation','Innocence','Oceania','Where Is The Line','Wanderlust' are very high on my playlist right now. I am going through this whole phase...

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Fri December 24th, 2010, 14:20

Are.... you... telling me..... your discovering those 2 albums..... first...... now????

VINDRAG IS JEALOUS!!!
    Luc

and you are no exception

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Fri December 24th, 2010, 14:27

Obviously I knew of them since a long time, just gave them an easy listen long back, just the singles mostly...its actually now that I am feeling them, in "that" kind of way...The sound is permeating every molecule of my inner self now...Okay, I was a little late

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Fri December 24th, 2010, 14:31

I just love this Interview...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-dFRFsQKGQ

at 00:58... Gosh I love her!

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon December 27th, 2010, 08:00

Obviously I knew of them since a long time, just gave them an easy listen long back, just the singles mostly...its actually now that I am feeling them, in "that" kind of way...The sound is permeating every molecule of my inner self now...Okay, I was a little late
    The same with me. When Vespertine came out in 2001 I was in a totally different mood, listened to it once in the record store and didn't even give this album a chance. I thought oh no where are the melodies? Well, this changed 2 years ago... Vespertine, Medúlla and Volta are heavily played. I still haven't really discovered the concept that connects the songs on Volta. This is much easier with Vespertine and Medúlla.

And I just discovered all her interviews on Youtube. I just watch one every day, not more, to make it last.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon December 27th, 2010, 10:55

Quote Originally Posted by chun1702
    The same with me. When Vespertine came out in 2001 I was in a totally different mood, listened to it once in the record store and didn't even give this album a chance. I thought oh no where are the melodies? Well, this changed 2 years ago... Vespertine, Medúlla and Volta are heavily played. I still haven't really discovered the concept that connects the songs on Volta. This is much easier with Vespertine and Medúlla.

And I just discovered all her interviews on Youtube. I just watch one every day, not more, to make it last.
    Yeah, Vespertine and Homogenic didn't let me move ahead for so long. It was difficult to move past Debut and Post anyway. But finally I gave in and I am playing Medulla and Volta day and night. Just brilliant. I can't believe how perfect someone's discography can be from start to finish.

Yeah, I love her interviews. I love her accents, her perception of things, and how much importance she gives to small small things in life.

Legend
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

by » Wed January 5th, 2011, 12:11

Sigur Rós (with Bjork) - Gobbledigook

Icelandic people are so weird , but they make the most beautiful music in the world
    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Fri January 7th, 2011, 10:14

I am playing 'Where Is The Line' so much nowdays. I remember long back the song used to creep me out a lot. Maybe it was because of the video. But now I am appreciating the song for what it is so much. Its amazing. And that beat towards the end is sooo sick!!!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sun January 9th, 2011, 17:42

I may have found the most perfect song ever. The song of my life. The song which permeates my very existence. The song which literally gives me OOBEs. I can't believe music could make me feel this way....

I've Seen It All - Björk and Thom Yorke.