Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4686949596
Results 2,376 to 2,394 of 2394

Thread: 2011 Grammy Awards...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Tue February 15th, 2011, 04:50

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    Esperanza Spaulding is a jazz artist. She is not interested in being a pop princess so I don't see why she's getting a hard way to go for not rocking iTunes and competing with Katy and Ke$ha on the chart.

I've never listened to her but the jazz audience is generally quite loyal and I don't think its fair to say her career will be a failure when she is likely not even trying to market herself to top 40.
    I agree.

Legend
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

by Tue February 15th, 2011, 06:48

Quote Originally Posted by alxx
    M.I.A. didn't even get a nomination did she?
    no she didn't :evil:

Superstar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Tue February 15th, 2011, 07:15

Quote Originally Posted by jpguy
    Quote Originally Posted by argentino78
    "California gurls"??? No way! I understand you people love it...but the song is cheap, superficial and teen oriented. It is not Grammy material! :-?

Neither OMG! for God sake!
    People are so ridiculous sometimes u know! "California Gurls" is one of Perry's worst songs ever... it is really bad
    agree, OMG is an exception, it has its bad times and great times
    MY PERSONAL CHARTS
    NA NA NA NA OH OH

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Tue February 15th, 2011, 07:25

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru
    IMO Last years they have got it right

Use some body , Rehab, Not ready to make nice.

I thought that EOSM was a superior song over Need you now but you have to understand that the voting is tricky.

Also no song with a sample has ever won ROTY
    Imo, We Belong Together should've won ROTY. How come it didn't win? :x

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by Tue February 15th, 2011, 12:24

Kanye could release the greatest work of art ever known to man and I still don't see him winning big. I think he's burnt too many bridges with being such a sore loser over the years that unless he really gives his attitude a makeover, I can't see him ever winning the AOTY.

I mean, this guy whined his first album out that he didn't win an award that even The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen are yet to win, despite 40+ years in the biz but he felt entitled his first year out? He burns more and more bridges every year.
    Exactly! He can possibly come out with the best rap album in the future but his ego and outbursts will always pull him down! What's annoying is that he gets mad, and then he apologizes for his behavior, and then he rants when people criticize him for his actions, and the same cycle repeats!

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by Tue February 15th, 2011, 12:26

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru
    IMO Last years they have got it right

Use some body , Rehab, Not ready to make nice.

I thought that EOSM was a superior song over Need you now but you have to understand that the voting is tricky.

Also no song with a sample has ever won ROTY
    I also thought of the same thing after the show! Maybe some of them think that the more 'original' songs are more deserving of the top awards. I kinda agree with them on that!

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Tue February 15th, 2011, 16:21

I've only seen a few performances, but on the whole, what I've seen looked very well done!

Katy gave probably the tightest vocal performance of her career. As far as I'm aware, she didn't win an award, but I have no doubt that she won over a lot of people who used to deny her live singing capabilities.

The Aretha tribute was seriously fantastic and I actually enjoyed Yolanda's contribution the most.

Rihanna, like Katy, proved once again that she can sing live. I don't think her performance with Drake was as slick as her X Factor performance of "What's My Name", but it was good nevertheless.

I haven't seen Lady GaGa's performance in very good quality but she sounded fantastic and the song is actually a lot more enjoyable when performed live.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by Tue February 15th, 2011, 22:54

Rihanna, Dr. Dre, Skylar Grey and Eminem; 'Love the Way You Lie,' 'I Need a Doctor' (medley)
    Rihanna rarely sings alone. She's almost always accompanied by another singer, drowned out by synthesizers or Auto-Tuned by an overzealous producer. But tonight, at least briefly, it's just Rihanna and the microphone. Then Eminem appears and does the unthinkable: he makes the performance even better. When the duo performed "Love the Way You Lie" at the MTV Video Music Awards earlier this year, they seemed disjointed and unrehearsed. Here, they've have found their element. And Dr. Dre, whose cameo could have been an unnecessary addition, only added to the fire.
    Grade: A

Rihanna and Drake, 'What's My Name?'
    It's official: the 2011 Grammys should just be renamed The Rihanna Show. For her second appearance onstage tonight, the pop star ditched the ball gown, shortened her skirt and nailed this duet with Drake. I'm not even sure why Drake was there. Apparently he wan't either; he wandered off halfway through the song.
    Grade: A-
    Source

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed February 16th, 2011, 00:44

After watching all the performances from the show I have decided the best performance by a hell of a long shot was the Aretha Franklin tribue absolutley astounding all five divas were ON POINT and gave there all! Amazing
    Beyhive #5491

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed February 16th, 2011, 02:00

I remember everyone complaining about Beyonce's Halo (live) being nominated, but no one complained when Train's Hey Soul Sister (LIVE) won for Best Pop Duo... SMH
    Queen Bey | Nicki Minaj | Rihanna | Alicia Keys | Mariah Carey | Alexandra Burke

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed February 16th, 2011, 02:02

Quote Originally Posted by forever9481
    I remember everyone complaining about Beyonce's Halo (live) being nominated, but no one complained when Train's Hey Soul Sister (LIVE) won for Best Pop Duo... SMH
    I think, ''back then'', the complain was about 'Halo' winning the previous year and being nominated again with a live version, while others ('You Lost Me', 'Glitter In The Air') were snubbed.

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by Wed February 16th, 2011, 07:02

Well, "Hey, Soul Sister" is more deserving than "Halo" to begin with. No one complains because "Hey, Soul Sister" (Live) really deserves the nomination and win! And it's not like Train was nominated with that same song last year, just like other artists who easily get nominations for the same song (during the previous year for the exact same category) which will always be ridiculous.

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

by Wed February 16th, 2011, 07:04

Quote Originally Posted by IAmWill
    After watching all the performances from the show I have decided the best performance by a hell of a long shot was the Aretha Franklin tribue absolutley astounding all five divas were ON POINT and gave there all! Amazing

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by Wed February 16th, 2011, 07:06

Quote Originally Posted by Leo92
    Esperanza Spaulding is a jazz artist. She is not interested in being a pop princess so I don't see why she's getting a hard way to go for not rocking iTunes and competing with Katy and Ke$ha on the chart.

I've never listened to her but the jazz audience is generally quite loyal and I don't think its fair to say her career will be a failure when she is likely not even trying to market herself to top 40.
    I agree.
    I agree.

It's also unfair that a lot of the Justin Bieber fans are disrespecting her in that way. I saw her interview in BBC (or was it CNN?) and she seems to be a nice person. And because of her win, she'll most likely be known for being the "Esperanza Spalding who?" type of celebrity when she's a jazz artist who doesn't really care about the pop world to begin with.

Legend
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

by Wed February 16th, 2011, 23:25

Half an hour in and not a single award given out on highlights! They missed Miranda Lambert, unsurprisingly.

Legend
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

by Thu February 17th, 2011, 01:36

The ITV broadcast hasn't dipped the sound on Eminem - they've had time to edit out only the "naughty" words! Sounds much better!

Legend
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

by Thu February 17th, 2011, 02:00

They truncated the Mumford/ Avett/ Dylan thing so it was just Dylan. Yet we got all that overlong Aretha thing. :-?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by Thu February 17th, 2011, 07:29

Here's a recap on 2011 Grammy Awards. The Grammy Awards are about the performances -- though the awards are technically the reason for the gathering. Spalding ended up being the greatest surprise of the 2011 Grammy awards. The jazz artist took home the Best New Artist award. There were a few other shocks during the 2011 Grammy Awards, however.