Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sherlock (BBC series)

Legend
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun July 25th, 2010, 23:08

Anyone watch this? I'm gonna watch it on the player/ on demand. Doctor Who overseer Steven Moffat updates the great detective for the 21st century. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman star.

Legend
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue July 27th, 2010, 00:21

Great acting by Cumberbatch. Some good lines, story was dull though and somehow the modern setting doesn't sit right.

by Sun August 8th, 2010, 22:16

Well, tonight we got both Danielle from Eastenders and Miss Hopewell from Waterloo Road...

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon August 9th, 2010, 12:19

Wow I can't believe there aren't more people talking about this on here.

It's been one a trending topic on Twitter every week and everyone seems to be raving about it.

I've watched every episode so far. Benedict and Martin are both great in it.

I really don't like Sherlock, he's quite annoying; but I think that's what Steven Moffat must have been going for.

The stories are interesting and even though each episode is an hour and a half long it keeps me entertained for the whole time.Great cliffhanger at the end of last night's episode
    Life is beautiful around the world

by Mon August 9th, 2010, 16:09

Quote Originally Posted by missfunkymonks
    I really don't like Sherlock, he's quite annoying;
    +1

And you have to wonder why they bothered making just 3 episodes. To be honest, I wouldn't care if this is not recommissioned, though that seems unlikely given the (somewhat unjustified, I feel) praise it has received.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon August 9th, 2010, 16:13

Possibly they just made 3 because it was quite expensive to make. I wish they'd done more though .. or not left the cliffhanger at the end.. as good it was I don't want to wait another year to find out what happens.

Last I heard the BBC had signed up to do more.

by Mon August 9th, 2010, 16:18

Lol - as of 90 minutes ago, it hadn't been confirmed as picked up for a second series. Apparently that decision will be made on Wednesday next when the BBC meets the production/writing team, but it's a foregone conclusion I think.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon August 9th, 2010, 17:21

Oh, haha! I thought I'd read sometime last week that they had already signed up for another series to be made next year.

I think on the back of all the praise though and ratings they'd be stupid not to do another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun August 15th, 2010, 18:32

One of the best things I've seen on tv all year! Missed the first ep, but I could always catch up on BBCiplayer or even youtube I suppose.

I thought this show might seem a bit odd at first, seeing as though it's set in the 21st century and not the 19th! But I think it works really well. I love Cumberbatch (Sherlock), I think he was the PERFECT man for the role, and the way the character has been written is very interesting.

I like the way they ended it, it was quite unexpected but it worked. I can see this show being one of the nation's favourites like Doctor Who, if it comes back!
    Free your unconscious mind; be formless, shapeless -- like water.

by Tue August 31st, 2010, 13:17

It will be back - but the second "series" will also only consist of three episodes!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Press Office
    Recommissions

Hunt also confirmed the recommissions of Sherlock Holmes and Luther for BBC One. Following a highly successful launch with over 7.5m viewers watching the first episode in July 2010, Sherlock returns for three new 90-minute episodes in Autumn 2011, while Luther comes back with two, two-hour specials

Hunt says: "Sherlock was the hit of the Summer. Luther the most memorable new detective on the block. I am delighted they will both be returning to BBC One."

Talking of the Sherlock recommission, co-creators, Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat, say: "We've been overwhelmed by the warmth of response to our new Sherlock Holmes and John Watson and can't wait to take them on three new adventures next year. There'll be baffling new puzzles, old friends and new enemies whether on two, or four legs. And we might well be seeing the cold master of logic and reason unexpectedly falling. But in love? Or over a precipice? Who can tell?"

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue August 31st, 2010, 14:30

It's so far away.. I think alot of people will lose interest by Autumn 2011

by Mon May 23rd, 2011, 08:44

^ Right!

BBC's Sherlock wins best drama award at Baftas
    Series starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman beats Downton Abbey and Misfits at TV awards ceremony

Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman with the best drama series award, received for Sherlock, at the Bafta television awards. Photograph: Ian West/PA

It was appropriate that BBC1's acclaimed modern retelling of the Sherlock Holmes story should triumph at the Bafta TV awards on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's birthday.

The updated crime drama beat ITV1's Downton Abbey to the best drama series prize and one of its stars, Martin Freeman, won best supporting actor for his role as Doctor Watson.

But Benedict Cumberbatch, who starred as Sherlock Holmes, lost out in the lead actor category to Daniel Rigby, who played Eric Morecambe in another BBC drama, the Victoria Wood-produced comic biopic Eric and Ernie.

Freeman described the show as a "love story" between Holmes and Watson. "Not just a love story these two people who love and need each other in a slightly dysfunctional relationship, but in a relationship that works," he said.

Cumberbatch said: "It's just terrific. It's validation for what we have been doing, we went in with confidence but to come out with an award is wonderful."

Legend
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon May 23rd, 2011, 19:32

Radio Times has Cumberbatch on their cover this week. It's like they knew it would win. Certainly didn't think Freeman deserved it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon January 2nd, 2012, 04:21

That was a great episode, well acted and stylishly shot. Stays true to what Sherlock is, unlike those films. Cumberbatch would have Downey Jr for breakfast.

Hope Irene Adler comes back at some point. Lara Pulver is in True Blood, in case you wondered where you've seen her before.

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue January 17th, 2012, 22:33

Such a shame that loads of people missed out on this series.

I decided to watch it for the first time on iPlayer last night and ended up watching all three episodes from this series!

Seriously, one of the best written drama's I have seen in ages. I found it witty although doesn't go too far & you could still relate to the characters too. I loved Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayal of Sherlock - such an intriguing character.

Legend
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed January 18th, 2012, 00:30

^Woo!

3rd one was the worst of the three though i'd be intrigued to see just how he did that! The original novel (short story) The Final Problem had him killed off cause Conan Doyle was sick of him but public outrage forced him to bring him back and explain his death as a stunt. The new Downey Jr film features a portion of this story (i haven't seen it as i found the first film underwhelming).

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed January 18th, 2012, 01:06

Yeah it will be interesting to see how this will be explained (especially now we have confirmation of a third series). I was genuinely puzzled towards the end to see what would happen! I think the first episode was my favourite (though I need to check out the first series).

Yeah doubt i'll see the Downey Jr film either to be honest, but I like how the general ideas from the novels can be open to so much different interpretation when adapted to film/small screen.

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Thu November 1st, 2012, 19:06

Why is this bumped? Is the new series coming?

You have got my hopes up....