User Tag List

Thread: Modern Talking - You're My Heart, You're My Soul (1998)

by Fri August 6th, 2010, 23:52

Inspired by SholasBoy's 1998 countdown, I've been looking back at that hallowed year, and here's a track that I've just pulled off YouTube, having never seen the video before. (With so few outlets on Irish TV for pop music videos, if a track is not a hit in the UK, and therefore not on the British channels, you'll likely not see the video at all).

This 1998 remix went Top 10 in Ireland, regardless of the fact that the original had sunk without trace over a decade earlier.

I have to admit, I'd never heard of this German duo until this song inexplicably became a radio staple in the summer of 1998, while the UK once again gave them the cold shoulder.

Bizarrely, I never heard their massive hit "Brother Louie" until it got the remix treatment after this 1998 remix.

I have to admit a sneaking admiration for this mid-eighties cheese...any other fans???

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat August 7th, 2010, 00:17

Me.
    If I ever get round to posting my all time chart here, you'll see loads of 80s cheesy pop entries. I'd imagine Maaian and CZB like them too.

I thought you were living in the Netherlands, they must be played there on oldie stations? They were massive all over Europe, with their first five releases topping the German chart.

Anyway, assuming you only know those two hits, check out these also, in decreasing order of quality (IMO)

No Face No Name No Number (not a single)
    Cheri Cheri Lady
    Geronimo's Cadillac
    You Can Win If You Want (all big hits)
    Atlantis Is Calling

Most of their late 90s hits were IMO poor copies of the 80s hits or straightforward remixes, like the two you mention.

You can also check Blue System, which was the moniker Dieter Bohlen (the blonde guy) used in the late 80s. Lying and My Bed Is Too Big are the two songs I like by him.
    Let's have a second referendum

by Sat August 7th, 2010, 00:34

Quote Originally Posted by potojr
    Me.
    If I ever get round to posting my all time chart here, you'll see loads of 80s cheesy pop entries. I'd imagine Maaian and CZB like them too.
    Then please, please, please post. I'd love to see.

As for listening to Dutch radio - that's a no, I'm afraid!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat August 7th, 2010, 00:58

Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    Me.
    Then please, please, please post. I'd love to see.
    Will do once I finish compiling it. And since I do not have the stamina Matthew, Misha, Bryan or Dustin have when it comes to charts, that will happen next year.

In the meantime, check this station, it is better than Dutch radio and plays all 80s Europop you can ask for, in fact over 50% of the ones I know I heard here for the first time.

http://www.1.fm/Station/80s_90s/Default.aspx
    Let's have a second referendum

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat August 7th, 2010, 13:11

I'd imagine Maaian and CZB like them too.
    Yes indeed - in my all-time ranking, "You're My Heart, You're My Soul" was only displaced from the top 400 this month by Lady GaGa's "Bad Romance" and Agnes's "On And On". But they have five songs even higher - two of them significantly so:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - CZB'S CHART - MODERN TALKING - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    01 01 11 0027 { #05 of 1986 ) BROTHER LOUIE
    02 03 10 0028 { #02 of 1985 ) YOU CAN WIN IF YOU WANT
    03 03 07 0161 ( #16 of 1986 ) GERONIMO'S CADILLAC
    04 02 10 0262 ( #19 of 1986 ) ATLANTIS IS CALLING (S.O.S. FOR LOVE)
    05 11 11 0362 ( #20 of 1985 ) CHERI CHERI LADY
    06 05 06 0402 ( #19 of 1984 ) YOU'RE MY HEART, YOU'RE MY SOUL
    07 07 06 0423 ( #21 of 1987 ) JET AIRLINER
    08 09 07 0538 ( #29 of 1987 ) IN A HUNDRED YEARS
    09 19 04 1507 ( #65 of 1986 ) GIVE ME PEACE ON EARTH
    10 101 -- 3052 ( #89 of 1998 ) YOU ARE NOT ALONE
    11 123 -- 3551 ( 112 of 1999 ) SEXY SEXY LOVER
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're My Heart, You're My Soul" was the first of several of their earliest hits that did extremely well in the Europarade despite not scoring in the UK or Ireland - until, as irishguy28 mentioned, many years later in that remixed version. At least two different versions were released in the UK, but missed the top fifty - as did almost all their other UK singles. But it can't just have been me who was buying them - I recall a long-defunct department store, "Callers'" stocking all their continental releases on 12" single. I bought almost all the 1980's ones there - including "Brother Louie", some months before it was a UK top five single.

Although there were several German number ones, I don't hear them played much, if at all, on the oldie radio stations I regularly listen to nowadays. Certainly none of them are on RTL-Radio's playlist, and I don't think any are featured on Radio Veronica either, although at least some of them charted strongly in the Netherlands.

Dieter Bohlen still seems very active in the German music industry, although I'm not so sure about Thomas Anders. I tended to feel - possibly unfairly? - that their relative contributions to the success of the group were akin to those of George Michael / Andrew Ridgely in Wham, whose UK and continental hits were at around the same time. I never bought any of theirs, though!

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat August 7th, 2010, 13:17

I don't remember this one, but I do remember a song of theirs called "Sexy Sexy Lover" which was played a few times on MTV's European Top 20. I quite liked it at the time

by Sat August 7th, 2010, 14:14

Thomas Anders is on German station ARD right now!

I don't know "Sexy Sexy Lover"...

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat December 2nd, 2017, 23:08

the most tacky and sugary song of the 80s.
    one enormous cliche of a track
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun December 3rd, 2017, 00:36

Not their best single in my opinion
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?