User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Record Business Top 100 chart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-01-13, 00:28

The last Superpop was 26th January 1980, not 19th. I've got it somewhere. If I find it, i'll post the top 100.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 12-03-13, 22:37

Thanks Graham. Most appreciated!

I don't think I ever listened to the Network Chart in 1985 (I listened to the Radio 1 Top 40 every week in those days, and until about October 1985 still recorded every new entry to the Radio 1 top 40) so these charts are all new to me and make for a good read.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 13-03-13, 18:41

Thanks a lot, Graham!
    Great to have those Network Charts. Any chance to see 1987?
    I'm looking for "TOP POPS/MUSIC NOW" and "MERSEYBEAT / MUSIC ECHO" Charts to complete my 60's singles charts collection.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-03-13, 18:13

Robbie - I'm idly curious to know what made you cease listening to the Radio 1 Top 40 in Oct '85 having listened to it so religiously for so many years? Did you have a change in lifestyle that precluded it? I used to struggle to listen/record every Sunday in the '80s (I'm a tad younger than you so as a child I was at the behest of whatever my parents or other commitments dicated and that meant some Sundays were non-starters!). By the '90s I had more freedom to commit to a Sunday 2 (eventually 3) hour slot every week though even then it was hard to aspire to recording from it every week, even if I managed to listen.

Or did you do that most heinous of chart crimes and move to listening to the Network Chart?! If you say you never heard that in 1985 then I assume not. Do you still retain the cassettes on which you recorded every new entry? How fascinating if you do, although you must surely have missed the odd week if only owing to holiday, illness etc and so must've been kicking yourself at missing that vital week's newbies, especially if any of them dipped out after only 1 week?! I don't know of anyone that determined to track the hits; myself and everyone I knew simply recorded the entries they liked, not every one regardless!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-03-13, 19:46

Quote Originally Posted by Gambo
    Robbie - I'm idly curious to know what made you cease listening to the Radio 1 Top 40 in Oct '85 having listened to it so religiously for so many years? Did you have a change in lifestyle that precluded it? I used to struggle to listen/record every Sunday in the '80s (I'm a tad younger than you so as a child I was at the behest of whatever my parents or other commitments dicated and that meant some Sundays were non-starters!). By the '90s I had more freedom to commit to a Sunday 2 (eventually 3) hour slot every week though even then it was hard to aspire to recording from it every week, even if I managed to listen.

Or did you do that most heinous of chart crimes and move to listening to the Network Chart?! If you say you never heard that in 1985 then I assume not. Do you still retain the cassettes on which you recorded every new entry? How fascinating if you do, although you must surely have missed the odd week if only owing to holiday, illness etc and so must've been kicking yourself at missing that vital week's newbies, especially if any of them dipped out after only 1 week?! I don't know of anyone that determined to track the hits; myself and everyone I knew simply recorded the entries they liked, not every one regardless!
    Hi Gambo. My reasons for stop recording the charts in October 1985 was down to one simple reason - I moved from the north east to London on October 4 that year (just in time for the riots on Broadwater Farm in Tottenham which started the day after I arrived!) and didn't have any way of recording the charts as I brought my radio cassette down with me but didn't bring any tapes! I did buy some tapes a couple of weeks later and recorded some songs from the top 40 but soon got out of the habit of recording songs... I still never listened to the Network Chart though, it was always still Radio 1

Superstar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-03-13, 19:55

Quote Originally Posted by Gambo
    Do you still retain the cassettes on which you recorded every new entry? How fascinating if you do, although you must surely have missed the odd week if only owing to holiday, illness etc and so must've been kicking yourself at missing that vital week's newbies, especially if any of them dipped out after only 1 week?! I don't know of anyone that determined to track the hits; myself and everyone I knew simply recorded the entries they liked, not every one regardless!
    I've still got all the cassettes and did manage to record every new entry to the top 40 from May 1979 to September 1985. It was easier in those days as most new entries were played in the first half hour plus I bought Record Mirror each week so I knew exactly where in the charts they would be...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 19-03-13, 18:43

Graham - that Phil Hurtt (two t's actually) record was on the second ever Radio 1 Top 40 show on 19 November 1978 when there were 11 new entries, so there was a lot to pack in as he featured 17 records in the first hour! I checked my recording of that show and I made it 2 min 29 sec, but what is two seconds between friends, eh?!

It's a shame you guys only seemed to record the new entries from the Top 40, although I guess I was guilty of that as well as I would just record my favourite songs rather than whole shows as to me, the links and jingles are probably the most historical part!

Thankfully about 10 years ago I discovered there was a collectors' market for the old Radio 1 chart shows, and I now have over 700 part / full shows in my archive ( mainly up to the early 90s but I have some from later that decade) and this also includes not just Top 40s but also charts from the likes of Alan Freeman when he returned to Radio 1 on Pick Of The Pops in 1989 (puts Blackburn to shame in my opinion).

I am still looking for recordings of the Top 40 - for example, I have part shows (i.e. last hours etc) from 1979, but I am only aware of 6 complete two hour programmes in existence but I am convinced there must be more out of there. Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 19-03-13, 19:30

Thanks to all who shared their personal experiences of the chart shows of their youth. I remain impressed by anyone who created such consistent and complete archives of these shows for any period, and wish I'd done likewise now - as Top40 has remarked, with hindight the parts with the DJ's voice etc is probably just as interesting as hearing the songs; at least that is so in the days before the chart show was turned into just another tedious interactive text-a-thon for ten-year-olds and presented by inane jocks whose main role was to chat skittishly and occasionally mention a chart position.

Top40 your archive sounds like it should be better than Radio 1's own. I doubt they have as comprehensive a coverage of the early years of the full forty - I wish I could help you but all my early '80s stuff bar one or two sides of C-90 has gone, and later material has been edited to be as DJ-free as possible for chosen tracks and placed on blank CDs. And in any case it was only selected songs I liked at the time, not the full shows or even every new entry. I concur with Graham's point about TDK D-90s though; I always favoured them as the best cassette option and only once or twice out of hundreds purchased did they ever fail on me (that was probably more to do with capstan/pinch roller problems on the machine!).

We used to get them quite cheaply and in plentiful supply as TDK were based in Croydon initially, then moved to my home town (Redhill) in 1990 where they were based for almost 20 years I believe.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 03-04-13, 18:41

There have always been rumours about the accuracy of the BMRB chart but the big downside of both the Record Business and MRIB charts would be that they didn't have any returns from Woolworth. Did they even get any returns from Smiths or Boots?

Woolworth accounted for between a fifth and a quarter of the total UK singles market and they had a specific demographic. Mainstream artists such as Cliff Richard sold significantly better through them.

I don't beleiev RB or MRIB had a truly representative chart panel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 05-04-13, 17:26

Quote Originally Posted by rubcale
    There have always been rumours about the accuracy of the BMRB chart but the big downside of both the Record Business and MRIB charts would be that they didn't have any returns from Woolworth. Did they even get any returns from Smiths or Boots?

Woolworth accounted for between a fifth and a quarter of the total UK singles market and they had a specific demographic. Mainstream artists such as Cliff Richard sold significantly better through them.

I don't beleiev RB or MRIB had a truly representative chart panel.
    RB were better than MRIB. Infact RB had a better sample than both BMRB & MRIB. BMRB (& even early Gallup charts) only got about 220 shops a week in perhaps over usage of Woolworths, Boots, Smiths.

You had RB giving a full 300 poll each week. Only one BMRB #1, escaped RB. St Winifred's School Choir (which was probably caught up in a missed week on Sunday 28th Dec 1980). Most "other" RB extra #1s, were BMRB midweek #1s, except "Baker Street" & in February 1982, the contrast was practically unnoticeable, as BMRB were doing a Sat to Fri poll, to RB's Fri to Thurs. On one particular week, the top 15 matched in both charts.

MRIB was rather caught up in Network Chart Independant Radio airplay, in it's first couple of years. Plus it never did a complete week's sample or covered weekend sales. Stuck in a Mon to Thurs sales market & the airplay added, to account for the loss of 2 days sales. Though big business for ILR, as it lost Radio One some 3 milion listeners, over a 18 month period. With many Sunday afternoons on Radio One in 1985 - 87, giving the late Jimmy Savile, the biggest listening figures of the week.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 07-04-13, 12:28

Quote Originally Posted by davetaylor
    MRIB was rather caught up in Network Chart Independant Radio airplay, in it's first couple of years. Plus it never did a complete week's sample or covered weekend sales. Stuck in a Mon to Thurs sales market & the airplay added, to account for the loss of 2 days sales. Though big business for ILR, as it lost Radio One some 3 milion listeners, over a 18 month period. With many Sunday afternoons on Radio One in 1985 - 87, giving the late Jimmy Savile, the biggest listening figures of the week.
    That was a big downside of it which helped fan-based acts in the week of release as they sold relatively more copies on Monday.

I was never sure whether MRIB completely ignored end of week sales or continued to gather them and used them when compiling year end charts?

Some funny things turned up - they had Cliff Richard's Mistletoe & Wine as having sold over 1m copies - something like a third more than Gallup. In 1991 Diana Ross released When You Tell Me one week ahead of KLF and Tammy Wynette's Justified And Ancient- on their chart both entered immediately and Diana was above KLF every week but in their year end chart she was in the 30s while KLF was in the 20s so there was something kooky about their methodology.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 04-05-13, 07:32

Thank you a lot, Graham!
    It's great to see those 1987 Network Charts! Absolutely fantastic!
    Any chance for 1988?
    I'm looking for "TOP POPS/MUSIC NOW" and "MERSEYBEAT / MUSIC ECHO" Charts to complete my 60's singles charts collection.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 05-05-13, 19:10

Quote Originally Posted by Graham76man
    Quote Originally Posted by andrej
    Thank you a lot, Graham!
    It's great to see those 1987 Network Charts! Absolutely fantastic!
    Any chance for 1988?
    Sometime in the next two weeks andrej
    Will post a message on this thread when they are up!
    That sounds terrific, Graham!
    Looking forward to see your updates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 13-05-13, 20:15

Hi Graham

Thanks for these excellent bits of info. I just wonder didn't the network chart start on 30 September 1984? I believe this was the national launch but was on Capital Radio ONLY from 19 August 1984.

If you have any 1984 Network Charts please can we see them?

Also, is anyone able to provide Indie charts after the first week in Jan 1980?
    And, Record Business from 1978 and first half of 1979? If anyone has any info, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 13-05-13, 20:21

Quote Originally Posted by davetaylor
    The last Superpop was 26th January 1980, not 19th. I've got it somewhere. If I find it, i'll post the top 100.
    Hi David
    Did you ever find that illusive last copy of Superpop from 26 Jan 1980? Thanks.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-05-13, 18:33

Hi Graham Thanks very much for that.

I just wondered do you have the 1987-89 network chart scans? Thanks.