Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 10-01-19, 22:48

Quote Originally Posted by jochen
    Who is tjis Group anyway?

I dont know a Single song.
    Is this the Group from this UK x factor chic that looks like shania twain a Bit?

Why do you always ask questions instead of just using Google?
    NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 10-01-19, 22:49

Quote Originally Posted by dylonj
    Hey all! I just wanted to come in and stan a bit for Girls Aloud! I downloaded Ten this morning and I have been having such a great time singing and jamming. It has definitely made the first hour of my depressing job a bit better!

I’m always here for more GA stans
    NO MEN IN ME.

Manager
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 10-01-19, 23:12

Quote Originally Posted by menime123

Is this the Group from this UK x factor chic that looks like shania twain a Bit?

3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 02:23

Quote Originally Posted by menime123

I've got so much love
    Got so much patience
    I've learned from the pain
    I turned out amazing

Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YOU cant blame nobody but YOU

Manager
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 09:51

An answer to @Westen so we don't spam the Madonna thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Westen View Post
    No, not really. How much you actually know about them?

Biology is one of the most acclaimed British pop songs of 00s.

They might not be your cup of tea, but their music was always progressive and experimental for mainstream pop. I mean who else has discography of songs that don't even have structures?

They are not Sugababes level, but, they are just behind them when it comes to discography. No other girl band is close after Sgb and GA...
    I do know Girls Aloud, and I did enjoy a song of theirs here or there when they were current. But even back then I never had much respect for them, not did I think their songs were all that people (media) made them out to be. They were basically Xenomania puppets, their whole discography was Xenomania's playground. It's not a surprise that Xenomania basically lived and died in the same time frame as Girls Aloud. They are barely active now compared to what they did in 00s. Yes, they did some great songs for other groups/artists and also worked with Sugababes a lot - but their Sugababes material (and for the rest of the biggies) was always a couple of notches above what they gave GA - IMHO of course.

And the production on nearly all GA songs sounded a bit dated for me even back then. You mentioned Biology - that song was ear grating back then and it sounds even worse now. And that's how I feel about nearly all of their songs. The only song that was and stayed fresh for me is their debut single Sound of the Underground - hence my comment about it being the only thing worth knowing in their discography, because in 2019 you can definitely do without GA songs. You don't lose there.

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 11:53

Girls Aloud were never dated. People would be like ‘what is this?’ every time a new song was released because it was always so different.

They kept pop music interesting in a world where rnb and indie bands dominated the charts. There was a time they were the only ones flying that pop flag.

The best part of Girls Aloud though was their live shows. It takes someone special to be able to do 24 arena dates in the UK on one tour, across 32 days.

The annoying thing for me is that they disbanded at the peak of their popularity and that in the last decade we’ve 4 new songs. Hard times.

It’s true they were manufactured, but let’s not be snobbish - they owned it and turned it on their heads by performing live and establishing themselves as a strong live act.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 12:26

I flew over to see The Ten Tour from Australia and it was the best concert I have ever been too. I listened to Chemistry today and it doesn’t sound dated at all, Biology has always been and will always be a bop. Beredy you are crazy!!!!!

Manager
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 14:15

Let's be real. GA haven't made much of an impression that lasts to this day. Yeah, fans like you will remember them, but they didn't have any influence on the pop landscape - if only for the fact that Xenomania did same/similar thing before them and after them and it wasn't a sound directly connected to them, they just stumbled upon a production team ready to do everything for them.

And they also never gave them the strongest cuts. It's pretty much certain mainstream will know songs like Believe (Cher), Round Round, Hole In the Head, In the Middle, Red Dress (Sugababes) and you'll pretty much hear crickets if you ask them to name one GA song.

They were cute in the 00's, but also it's a delusion to name them pop flag bearers in the 00's.

Quote Originally Posted by menime123 View Post
    They kept pop music interesting in a world where rnb and indie bands dominated the charts. There was a time they were the only ones flying that pop flag.
    Shall we pretend Britney and Christina didn't happen in 00s? There's more influence and importance in one Toxic than whole GA discography. Or Madonna's amazing stretch of records Music - American Life - Confessions On a Dance Floor? Kylie delivered one of ultimate pop smashes in 00s and released some other great pop singles. Gwen Stefani, Kelly Clarkson, Beyonce, Katy Perry and there came Gaga at the end? And those are just pop females at the top off the head.

And if you meant UK pop landscape, arguably Sugababes delivered stronger discography in the same time period. There were other girl groups that did well with several #1s in the 00s (All Saints, Atomic Kitten). Lily Allen, Natasha Bedingfield, Pixie Lott are some solo girls who had #1 throughout 00s. That's just some girls off the top of the head. Boy bands? Westlife had something like 10 #1 in the 00s. Solo males, Will Young? GA are hardly the most popular female girl band, let alone pop act in the 00's. Let's not imagine things like them being some pop saviors at the time. They weren't.

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 14:50

If you want to be obtuse, I won’t discuss this any further. Your time lines are all askew and it seems you don’t even know when Girls Aloud started, is let me tell you: December 2002.

In 2003 during their debut era, Madonna was off doing American Life (not party pop), Kylie was having a bit of a strange time after the sucess of Slow and then launched into a greatest hits era that was sadly cut short and she was mainly MIA until 2008 when Girls Aloud were winding down.

Britney has big success with Toxic yes, but she then went off the rails a bit and whilst the music held up along the way, you didn’t know if you were coming or going. She also asked Xenomania for songs in 2004.

Christina is hardly a good example - she released a retro album and a GH during the full length of GA’s career. All Saints and Atomic Kitten were long past their prime by 2003 (and over). Westlife jumped to AC ballads and Will Young was always more AC than pure pop.

Natasha Beddingfield had her debut in 2004 then flopped with all follow ups (one of GA is in Natasha’s IWHYB video) and Pixie Lott didn’t happen until 2009 when Girls Aloud were on their way out.

Kelly Clarkson was never pure pop. She was an indie/guitar/pop hybrid in her prime. Katy and Gaga came up at the end of Girls Aloud around 2008 and Gwen was definitely not pop - Hollaback Girl is hip hop and Gwen was far, far too American in her sounds to be anything near pure pop.

I will not be drawn into a GA vs SB argument. There was always room for both, but SB only really started gaining traction by going from a more urban sound to pure pop in their 2nd line up.

In 2012 Girls Aloud were officially named the UK’s biggest selling girl group of the 21st century. So yes, I stand by my claim they are the biggest girl group since The Spice Girls. At least here in the UK (and before Little Mix came along).

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 14:54

Between 2003 and 2008 Girls Aloud released 5 studio albums, completed 4 tours, had 20 top consecutive 10 singles and released 1 greatest hits album that sold over 1 million copies in the UK.

They were consistent in every way and always improved (OOC a slight exception). They they announced a hiatus at their peak of popularity and critical acclaim.

There is a reason we still lament the loss of them in pop circles and do you know why? Not a single girl group has equaled them since.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 15:00

Biology is one of the best pop songs of our generation.

Manager
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 15:03

I gave you pop examples from the whole duration of their career. Thanks for breaking down the timeline, but that wasn't the point. The point was that they were never the solo pop big name during their run.

Also dissecting which acts are more pop and which less to give GA some kind of "but they're the sole true pop act of their time" stamp is whacked. GA aren't just pop. Sound of the Underground mixes surf music and has even some drum'n'bass parts. A lot of their singles juggle with other genres with dance being the most prominent one. They are a pop act. Just like all the other ones I've named. And all of them ventured into some other genres be it on an album by album, or song by song basis. So it's a fair comparison and level playground.

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 15:09

Well someone has a chip on their shoulder. No idea why. But good luck getting it sorted

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 15:24

Quote Originally Posted by jason2379 View Post
    Biology is one of the best pop songs of our generation.
    Absolutely and totally unique to them. No one else could have pulled that off.

Legend
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 18:48

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    An answer to @Westen so we don't spam the Madonna thread.

I do know Girls Aloud, and I did enjoy a song of theirs here or there when they were current. But even back then I never had much respect for them, not did I think their songs were all that people (media) made them out to be. They were basically Xenomania puppets, their whole discography was Xenomania's playground. It's not a surprise that Xenomania basically lived and died in the same time frame as Girls Aloud. They are barely active now compared to what they did in 00s. Yes, they did some great songs for other groups/artists and also worked with Sugababes a lot - but their Sugababes material (and for the rest of the biggies) was always a couple of notches above what they gave GA - IMHO of course.

And the production on nearly all GA songs sounded a bit dated for me even back then. You mentioned Biology - that song was ear grating back then and it sounds even worse now. And that's how I feel about nearly all of their songs. The only song that was and stayed fresh for me is their debut single Sound of the Underground - hence my comment about it being the only thing worth knowing in their discography, because in 2019 you can definitely do without GA songs. You don't lose there.
    I understand where is this coming from, I was there until January last year when they suddenly hit me... Back in the day I used to bop to SKO and SNNN, but I never liked them more than few songs, I even listened to their albums, and they just weren't clicking with me. And then suddenly last year it happened, and their music brings me joy every since...

You should listen to Chemistry and Tangled Up, you'll be surprised. They were actually album acts. You never know, maybe you finally see magic behind them...

Legend
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 18:50

Quote Originally Posted by menime123 View Post

The annoying thing for me is that they disbanded at the peak of their popularity and that in the last decade we’ve 4 new songs. Hard times.
    This was like the worst decision ever made... I can;t believe they decided to take a break in 2009 at their peak.. They pretended that they were friends for so long, they could've pretended few years more.

Manager
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 19:34

I understand where is this coming from, I was there until January last year when they suddenly hit me... Back in the day I used to bop to SKO and SNNN, but I never liked them more than few songs, I even listened to their albums, and they just weren't clicking with me. And then suddenly last year it happened, and their music brings me joy every since...

You should listen to Chemistry and Tangled Up, you'll be surprised. They were actually album acts. You never know, maybe you finally see magic behind them...
    Not promising anything, I might check the albums more in full eventually. ;)

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 19:54

To say that you would hear crickets chirping if you asked a mainstream listener to name one GA song but that they would be able to name songs like In The Middle or Red Dress by the Sugababes is a joke. I like both groups but several of GA’s songs are more memorable and will stand the test of time better than those two songs at least.
    Last edited by CanYouKeepUp; 21-02-19 at 19:57.

Legend
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 20:02

Quote Originally Posted by CanYouKeepUp View Post
    To say that you would hear crickets chirping if you asked a mainstream listener to name one GA song but that they would be able to name songs like In The Middle or Red Dress by the Sugababes is a joke. I like both groups but several of GA’s songs are more memorable and will stand the test of time better than those two songs at least.
    He was probably talking about GP outside UK. Thanks to MTV and Sugababes' heavy rotation back in the day, most of their songs (2002-2006) are well known in Europe among our generation of people who grew up with MTV. ITM is classic here... Everyone knows it.

Manager
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 20:14

He was probably talking about GP outside UK. Thanks to MTV and Sugababes' heavy rotation back in the day, most of their songs (2002-2006) are well known in Europe among our generation of people who grew up with MTV. ITM is classic here... Everyone knows it.
    WW GA are a non event. Fans might disagree, but that's the fact. They have always been and remained a UK act.

And I'm still pretty sure Sugababes' songs are more well known in the UK also based on healthier and bigger streaming numbers for their songs. Both acts predate streaming era so for acts like that the current streaming number comparison is a good indicator of which songs have actual longevity from back then and also shows which act has made an impact on people more.

Legend
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 20:20

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    WW GA are a non event. Fans might disagree, but that's the fact. They have always been and remained a UK act.

And I'm still pretty sure Sugababes' songs are more well known in the UK also based on healthier and bigger streaming numbers for their songs. Both acts predate streaming era so for acts like that the current streaming number comparison is a good indicator of which songs have actual longevity from back then and also shows which act has made an impact on people more.
    Well, yes, I said it once, but Sugababes' legacy managed to survive bitter terrible end

Plays in last 30 days
    483 Sugababes
    217 Girls Aloud

And Sugababes are doing amazing on Spotfiy, ABY is over 40m (PTB close behind), and they have 2,3m montly listeners vs GA's 1,4m listeners and their most streamed song is Love Machine with 13,6m streams

GA members are more known in UK tho, I doubt GP in UK could name one Sugababes member by name (menime?)... They never branded themselves like GA did

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 21:28

GA members are more known in UK tho, I doubt GP in UK could name one Sugababes member by name (menime?)... They never branded themselves like GA did
    I was once at the theatre a few years ago, and was stood at the bar before the start of the show. There was a woman stood on my left, also waiting to be served. I turned to my sister - on my right - and said “Liz from Atomic Kitten is stood next to me”. She took one look then said to me, “Don’t be daft... that’s Heidi from Sugababes!”

Manager
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-02-19, 23:57

We aren't talking worldwide success though. We are talking about their legacy in the UK. If you can't see how iconic they where then I don't know what else to say.

There is room for both bands. Each made great music. But to belittle Girls Alouds success is just silly.

The general public could easily name at least 3 songs by GA. To test this I asked my mum and my uncle to name as many Girls Aloud songs and Sugababes songs. Both said Love Machine, I'll stand by you and the promise. They both named 1 Sugababes song. My uncle said walk this way and my mum said 'that elevator song' (push the button). Now obviously 2 people is hardly a majority but I think if you ask the general public they would easily be able to name more girls aloud songs. As I said before 20 consecutive top 10s is a massive achievement.

Also. Blame Nadine for them breaking up. Just saying...
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!