Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Prince

by » Mon June 20th, 2011, 07:51

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipresence
    Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    Has Prince cut ties with the Jehovah's Witnesses? I read over on the org that he's beginning to play some of his more explicit material again that for years he's refused to play over his religious views.
    Hmm. That's something that I never would have expected, but I hope it's true. The guys been brainwashed for too long! And it's affected his music in a bad way.
    I agree. I can understand why a 53 year old feels foolish playing something along the lines of Erotic City or Head, but he's always been self-righteous. A cult like Jehovah's Witnesses (Michael and Janet both turned away from this faith when younger, the JW people almost excommunicated MJ over the Thriller video) only makes it worse.

Legend
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

by » Sun July 3rd, 2011, 13:32

I saw him live yesterday. He did more than 2h long show but I wasnt impressed much, just because I cant stand his music. I am not saying he's talented etc. but I am just not feeling his music.

by » Sun July 3rd, 2011, 21:22

Quote Originally Posted by jszmiles
    I saw him live yesterday. He did more than 2h long show but I wasnt impressed much, just because I cant stand his music. I am not saying he's talented etc. but I am just not feeling his music.
    No offense but why would you pay money for an artist you hate? I wouldn't see artists I dislike for free, much less putting down hard earned cash to see them. If you're not at all a fan of Prince's music, isn't it a waste of time and money to see him knowing you're not going to enjoy it?

by » Mon July 4th, 2011, 14:51

No offense but why would you pay money for an artist you hate?
    That's exactly what I thought reding that message too....lol
    There's only one Queen
    and that's MADONNA.

Legend
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

by » Mon July 4th, 2011, 21:03

No offense but why would you pay money for an artist you hate? I wouldn't see artists I dislike for free, much less putting down hard earned cash to see them. If you're not at all a fan of Prince's music, isn't it a waste of time and money to see him knowing you're not going to enjoy it?
    He played on Heineken Festival. I bought 4 days ticket.

Plus, I am trying not to be a music ignorant and I was curious how good he's live. Thats all. But as I said before, his performance has been enjoyable for those who like him

by » Tue July 5th, 2011, 05:02

He played on Heineken Festival. I bought 4 days ticket.

Plus, I am trying not to be a music ignorant and I was curious how good he's live. Thats all. But as I said before, his performance has been enjoyable for those who like him
    Oh! Yea, if there's a festival with a lot of artists you like and you watched his set out of curiosity that's different. I thought it was like you paid a lot of money just to see him live

Legend
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

by » Tue July 5th, 2011, 20:40

i was really curious if he was that good. Thats all. I think its just a matter of taste again. It's just not my thing but I've read people were charmed by his performance...

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Wed July 13th, 2011, 01:29

He's playing 1999 again apparently. At a recent UK gig he was getting lots of audience requests and said "do you know how many hits i've had?? We'd be here till next month if i played them all!"

by » Thu December 15th, 2011, 22:07

I've been going through the discographies of all my faves on Spotify to make an "ultimate playlist", currently up to Come.

Anyone find that album to be underrated? It was buried under bad publicity and drama with Warner, but as a whole I like it much better than the horribly dated Diamonds And Pearls. I saw a review on Amazon that sorta linked the album to being a male "Erotica", and I can kinda see that.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by » Thu December 15th, 2011, 22:22

I've been going through the discographies of all my faves on Spotify to make an "ultimate playlist", currently up to Come.

Anyone find that album to be underrated? It was buried under bad publicity and drama with Warner, but as a whole I like it much better than the horribly dated Diamonds And Pearls. I saw a review on Amazon that sorta linked the album to being a male "Erotica", and I can kinda see that.
    I agree. I think it's a great album and it works really well played as a whole. Solo is one of my favourites.

by » Thu December 15th, 2011, 22:30

Quote Originally Posted by RightToDream

I agree. I think it's a great album and it works really well played as a whole. Solo is one of my favourites.
    Yep, his voice is amazing on Solo.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Fri December 16th, 2011, 00:14

I almost had a heart attack when you said "Diamonds and Pearls" was horribly outdated.

Never again...never again.

Oh and by the way, I heard someone say that Purple Rain (both the movie and the soundtrack) was overrated.

What do you guys think?
    I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
    --Katy Perry

by » Fri December 16th, 2011, 00:22

Quote Originally Posted by Titan3510

I almost had a heart attack when you said "Diamonds and Pearls" was horribly outdated.

Never again...never again.

Oh and by the way, I heard someone say that Purple Rain (both the movie and the soundtrack) was overrated.

What do you guys think?
    Diamonds And Pearls had great singles (and half the album was singles anyways), but the other tracks (barring maybe Strollin' and Live 4 Love) are some of the worst filler he's ever released IMO. It felt like such a pop sellout after Graffiti Bridge, but then again he did need a hit album at that point and D&P delivered what he intended.

I can see the argument about Purple Rain. The movie really isn't that good, it's more of a statement and place and time than a good work of art or anything. The acting is weak and the plot is spotty, but the movie gets by on Prince's charm and the great music. Even with the soundtrack, I can see the argument since some people act like it is the only Prince non-compilation worth owning, and he had at least five other albums in the 80's alone that are every bit as essential to a music collection.

Currently I'm going through "The Vault:Old Friends 4 Sale" on Spotify. An album I never really paid too much attention to when it came out, but the 8+ minute "She Spoke 2 Me" jam session is amazing.

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Fri December 16th, 2011, 06:19

"Purple Rain" (both album and movie) are IMO as fresh today as they were then. Sure, not all songs in the soundtrack (Let's Go Crazy & Baby I'm A Star especially sound kinda dated) but most of them do still sound great, especially in the current dry season of pop music. The movie also can still hold its own against any other similar musical which was made since then despite Prince not being the best of actors.

"Diamonds And Pearls" is the complete opposite. It has dated A LOT, very few of the cuts have stood the taste of time and, although I liked almost all the album back then, there must be max 5 songs I can still listen to and like

I've always considered "Come" one of the best Prince albums ever, it is certainly his most underrated. Every song in there is good, I just love that album to death and 18 years on, I still listen to it much more than either PR or DAP (dah, obviously lol)

"The Vault" is another great one. My favourite is "When The Lights Go Down" but basically the whole album is good especially its second half

by » Sat December 17th, 2011, 03:49

Quote Originally Posted by jio
    "Diamonds And Pearls" is the complete opposite. It has dated A LOT, very few of the cuts have stood the taste of time and, although I liked almost all the album back then, there must be max 5 songs I can still listen to and like
    That's how I feel. "Gett Off" is still the shit, and while I know a lot of people hate it, I always loved the title track, but so much of it feels of its time, and that's something none of his albums to that point had. I thought it was more or less an audition album for the NPG, and O+> was the far superior album, even though it didn't sell half as much, but it was much more Prince embracing the 90's without dating it.

Quote Originally Posted by jio
    I've always considered "Come" one of the best Prince albums ever, it is certainly his most underrated. Every song in there is good, I just love that album to death and 18 years on, I still listen to it much more than either PR or DAP (dah, obviously lol)
    I honestly didn't give "Come" the attention it deserved until a good decade after it came out, I bought it when it came out and thought it was okay but didn't really get into it until I popped it in years later and listened with the right frame of mind and realized it was a great piece of work. When it came out, all we heard was how it was this piece of crap to keep us tied over until "The Gold Experience" came out. It really is a shame there was so much bs going on with him and Warner at the time since I think a lot of the mid-90's music he made never reached the audience they could've if all the "Slave" and name-change drama didn't leave such a bad taste in so many potential listeners mouths. His music didn't automatically weaken around 1994, it was just the drama with Warner. Come and Gold were both albums that could've been huge with the right release dates and with the right promotion.

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Tue December 20th, 2011, 09:24

True, true. "Symbol", "Come" and "Gold" are probably up
    there with his 80s work as Prince classic albums, at least they are to me. After those and until "The Rainbow Children" and "N.E.W.S." his music had been very patchy (OK, "The Vault" is good too but it is a compilation of outtakes and not new work)

From D&P I still love Gett Off, Money Don't Matter 2Night, Strollin' & Willing And Able. All the others range from indifferent to annoying for me

by » Mon April 30th, 2012, 03:30

For those in the US who have the Encore network, "Graffiti Bridge" is on tonight at 3:30 EST.

Yea the movie is a colossal plotless piece of crap, but you never see that on television nowadays so it's pretty cool to see.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Mon April 30th, 2012, 03:33

Diamonds And Pearls had great singles (and half the album was singles anyways), but the other tracks (barring maybe Strollin' and Live 4 Love) are some of the worst filler he's ever released IMO. It felt like such a pop sellout after Graffiti Bridge, but then again he did need a hit album at that point and D&P delivered what he intended.
    I was actually talking about the song. Not the album.

But thanks anyways though....
    I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
    --Katy Perry

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Mon May 21st, 2012, 05:45

I was actually talking about the song. Not the album.

But thanks anyways though....
    I hate that song. One of my least favourite Prince singles ever

by » Tue May 22nd, 2012, 05:02

Jio, have you heard any of the Peach And Black podcasts? They are very in-depth but also listener-friendly. I listened to the ATWIAD one today (which is probably why I have it as an avatar now) and even though I've heard the album hundreds of times, these guys really analyze everything and point out things in these songs very few even have noticed (like how the end of "America" switches from studio to mono), I've downloaded a bunch of them, looking forward to hearing more.

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Tue May 22nd, 2012, 05:23

No, I didn't. Could you pm where I can download them from?

by » Thu May 24th, 2012, 07:39

Purple Rain has been added to the National Recording Registry for eternal preservation

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news ... 55146096/1

The newest additions into the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress include everything from the only existing ex-slave narratives to seminal songs of disco, funk and rap.

Prince's 'Purple Rain' is one of the new additions to the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress.
    Sponsored Links

The selected 25 sound recordings, which will be preserved as cultural, artistic and/or historical treasures, join more than 300 others saved since the registry was established in 2000.

Without preservation efforts, many of them could have been lost for good — even the most popular recordings, says Matt Barton, the library's sound recording curator.

Often, "the master is gone and we only have commercial copies that can be compromised by wear or other damage," he says. (If the library doesn't have the master, it makes an optimal digital copy from the best possible source.)

The library makes its choices on the advice of its National Recording Preservation Board and hundreds of suggestions from the public. Nominations for the next registry are being accepted at the NRPB website (loc.gov/nrpb).

"I've been asked if (Donna Summer's I Feel Love) was on there because she just passed away (on May 17), but the final selection was made more than a month ago," Barton says. "That was one of many hits that she had, but this signaled a turning point, and its effects are still being felt today."

A chronological look at the 2011 selections:

•Edison Talking Doll cylinder (1888). The recording of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star— sung by one of Thomas Edison's employees for use in a talking doll — is the earliest-known commercial sound recording in existence.

•Come Down Ma Evenin' Star, Lillian Russell (1912). The sole surviving recording of Russell, a musical stage star in the late 19th and early 20th century.

•Ten Cents a Dance, Ruth Etting (1930). Etting, one of the first great singers of the microphone era, introduced the song in the musical Simple Simon.

•Voices From the Days of Slavery (1932-1941). The only known audio recordings of former slaves include 24 interviews conducted in nine states.

•I Want to Be a Cowboy's Sweetheart, Patsy Montana (1935). One of the first hits by a female country-and-western singer.

•Fascinating Rhythm, Sol Hoopii and his Novelty Five (1938). The master of the Hawaiian steel guitar goes electric and improvises on a Gershwin standard.

•Artistry in Rhythm, Stan Kenton & and his Orchestra (1943). The aggressive sound and layered instrumentation is typical of Kenton's work.

•Debut with the New York Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein (Nov. 14, 1943). Bernstein, 25, then a little-known assistant conductor, was a last-minute sub.

•International Sweethearts of Rhythm: Hottest Women's Band of the 1940s (1944-1946). A rare commercial recording by the interracial female jazz band formed at a Mississippi boarding school for African-American children.

•The Indians for Indians Hour (March 25, 1947). The weekly radio show featuring guests and music from 18 Native American tribes aired on WNAD in Norman, Okla.

•Hula Medley, Gabby Pahinui (1947). One of the first modern recordings of slack-key guitar, a style originating in Hawaii.

•I Can Hear It Now, Fred W. Friendly and Edward R. Murrow (1948). A collection of speech excerpts and news reports, featuring everyone from Will Rogers to Adolf Hitler and narration by CBS Radio's Murrow.

•Let's Go Out to the Programs, The Dixie Hummingbirds (1953). A re-creation of a multi-artist gospel show featuring imitations of the Soul Stirrers, the Blind Boys of Mississippi, the Pilgrim Travelers and the Bells of Joy.

•Also Sprach Zarathustra, Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (1954, 1958). A high-fidelity recording of the ensemble that Igor Stravinsky hailed as "the most precise and flexible orchestra in the world."

•Bo Diddley and I'm a Man, Bo Diddley (1955). Diddley's first single, a double-sided hit.

•Green Onions, Booker T. & the M.G.'s (1962). The instrumental became the title cut of the first LP by the racially integrated Stax Records house band.

•Forever Changes, Love (1967). The band's landmark fusion of psychedelic, mainstream and classical styles.

•The Continental Harmony: Music of William Billings, Gregg Smith Singers (1969). The recording that re-introduced the composer to the world after a century of obscurity.

•A Charlie Brown Christmas, Vince Guaraldi Trio (1970). The soundtrack to the animated Peanuts TV special brought jazz to millions of listeners.

•Coat of Many Colors, Dolly Parton (1971). The autobiographical song, about an impoverished childhood made rich by love, established Parton as a credible songwriter.

•Mothership Connection, Parliament (1975). "Ain't nothin' but a party, y'all," George Clinton declared on the title track of the enormously influential funk album.

•Barton Hall concert by the Grateful Dead (May 8, 1977). The revered Cornell University show is a favorite of Deadhead tape traders.

•I Feel Love, Donna Summer (1977). The entirely electronic track played off Summer's ethereal vocal and took the dance clubs by storm.

•Rapper's Delight, Sugarhill Gang (1979). The trio's rhythmic rhyming inspired countless MCs and rap artists.

•Purple Rain, Prince and the Revolution (1984). The provocative and controversial movie that launched Prince into superstardom. Its most explicit lyrics led to the founding of the Parents Music Resource Center.

by » Wed September 12th, 2012, 19:06

Photos from a video shoot (ironic since he hates YouTube) have surfaced on The Org. Could this be a sign that he has new material ready to drop? After all, he is known for keeping us out of the loop until a few weeks before he's ready to release something new.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by » Wed September 12th, 2012, 19:08

Didn't he say he wasn't releasing anything ever again because of the internet, blah blah...

I think it's about time he embraced it and used it. He was the first to do it back in the day, right?