Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Prince

by » Wed September 12th, 2012, 19:13

Quote Originally Posted by RightToDream
    Didn't he say he wasn't releasing anything ever again because of the internet, blah blah...
    This is the same guy who said in 1985 that Around The World In A Day would be his farewell album as well (the end of Temptation where he says he's going away and doesn't know if or when he'll be back was supposedly used as proof he was retiring at the time lol). He also announced his retirement in 1993 a few months before he changed his name. Prince retires more than Cher

Superstar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Wed September 12th, 2012, 19:32

The pic looks cool. If it is a music video, do you think he will release it on Youtube?

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by » Wed September 12th, 2012, 19:52

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    Didn't he say he wasn't releasing anything ever again because of the internet, blah blah...
    This is the same guy who said in 1985 that Around The World In A Day would be his farewell album as well (the end of Temptation where he says he's going away and doesn't know if or when he'll be back was supposedly used as proof he was retiring at the time lol). He also announced his retirement in 1993 a few months before he changed his name. Prince retires more than Cher
    He's so weird.

Quote Originally Posted by joel77m77
    The pic looks cool. If it is a music video, do you think he will release it on Youtube?
    I doubt it. He'll probably stick it on VHS (AS LONG AS HE HAS THE ORIGINAL) and send it out to fans who order it on a temporary website for an extortionate price.

by » Wed September 12th, 2012, 20:02

He's so weird.

Quote Originally Posted by joel77m77
    I doubt it. He'll probably stick it on VHS (AS LONG AS HE HAS THE ORIGINAL) and send it out to fans who order it on a temporary website for an extortionate price.
    LOL. You are aware some years back he actually sold a cassette tape with a "rare song" to members of his fan club. That Prince...

Maybe to counter downloading, he'll make his new cd available only on 8-track tape.

by » Mon September 17th, 2012, 22:14

The rumors were correct, he has a new sing called Rock N' Roll Love Affair. Very very catchy and old-school Prince.

www.drfunkenberry.com/2012/09/17/new-pr ... g.facebook

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

by » Fri January 18th, 2013, 09:58

Preview a new Prince song called “Screwdriver”

LISTEN
    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

by » Wed January 23rd, 2013, 11:00

New Music: Prince – “Screw Driver”

Prince has upload the studio version of his new single, the bloozey boogie “Screw Driver”, to his website. You can also stream the full song in the lyric video below, which features a more Princely vocal performance than the snippet uploaded the other week.

The music legend just finished up some intimate rehearsal gigs in Minneapolis, and is reportedly gearing up for a new tour in 2013. He performed some new songs at the gigs, including the ur-funky jam “Chapter & Verse”. Listen to the replay of that song, recorded last week at the Dakota Jazz Club in Minneapolis, below “Screw Driver”.
    LISTEN
    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by » Wed January 23rd, 2013, 11:10

He has a new website AGAIN.

http://20pr1nc3.com/

The internet is dead but he's now posting a lyric video on vimeo to put on a new website. Yes, Prince. You've done it again.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Sun January 27th, 2013, 09:18

I am more excited about the concert ad (maybe a dvd?). Screwdriver is good enough although nothing amazing, still better than the previous single... I tried not to comment in here about the website until we get more staff but... oh well, i am still waiting

PS: I am loving the Andy Allo song

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Sun February 17th, 2013, 06:55

I just love the third eye girl website and the fact we are getting a song per week. I haven't purchased the video yet but Prince is responsible for the first 4 digital singles I ever purchased and all in the past couple of weeks:

1) Screwdriver remix: em OK, better than the standard version due to the rock guitar solo but still this is an average tune for me 5/10

2) Breakfast Can Wait: nice R&B jam reminiscent of C'me On from "NewPowerSoul". The baby vocals at the end are weird, creepy and nice too 8/10

3) RNR Affair remix: now we are talking. This remix takes an average song and elevates it into a Prince level of perfection. I adore it 9/10

4) Boyfriend demo: and it keeps getting better and better. Funky, filled up with horns, this is classic Prince and I can't wait for a longer version. My song of 2013 so far 10/10

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Mon February 18th, 2013, 19:18

New song download "A Girl Thang" is out. This is an acoustic ballad which sounds like it came right out of "The Truth" album. It's just Prince and a guitar. Wasn't too impressed on first listen but gave it a second try and it works. Really nice in a melancholic daydreaming kind of way 6/10

by » Tue February 19th, 2013, 21:00

I am surprised at the rapturous reception Screwdriver is getting among a lot of press. The local NPR music station has put it in heavy rotation (I heard Rock N Roll Love Affair once on there when it came out) and Rolling Stone wrote a gushing review. IMO it is something he could do in his sleep and not as good a rocker as some of the stuff he had on LotusFlow3r.

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Tue February 19th, 2013, 21:25

I am surprised at the rapturous reception Screwdriver is getting among a lot of press. The local NPR music station has put it in heavy rotation (I heard Rock N Roll Love Affair once on there when it came out) and Rolling Stone wrote a gushing review. IMO it is something he could do in his sleep and not as good a rocker as some of the stuff he had on LotusFlow3r.
    Yeah, out of the new songs "Screwdriver" is by far the crappiest one. It sounds like "Peach-the sequel" lol. But I do dig the video though, did u see it?

by » Tue February 19th, 2013, 23:32

Good to see there's a thread about this guy. He's an absolute legend that doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by » Sat March 2nd, 2013, 16:42

Pretty good performances on Jimmy Fallon. Nice of him to throw/break a guitar that wasn't even his after Bambi.

Is he still into the whole Jehovah's Witness thing? He seems more like he was before these days.

by » Mon March 4th, 2013, 04:46

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Pretty good performances on Jimmy Fallon. Nice of him to throw/break a guitar that wasn't even his after Bambi.

Is he still into the whole Jehovah's Witness thing? He seems more like he was before these days.
    I haven't heard him denounce the religion, but I think like a lot of religious-converts, he's probably lightened up compared to his early days in the faith.... kinda like Donna Summer wouldn't sing certain songs for years when she became a born again Christian yet in her latter years was singing Love To Love You Baby again because she could reconcile her religion and singing that specific record whereas for years she wouldn't for religious reasons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Mon June 17th, 2013, 01:11

My King!!! So ready for the new album. And i like Fixurlifeup.

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Mon June 17th, 2013, 06:25

I made a conscious decision to stop listening/buying his songs until the album comes out. I want to have it the old-fashioned way

by » Tue June 18th, 2013, 19:39

Quote Originally Posted by jio
    I made a conscious decision to stop listening/buying his songs until the album comes out. I want to have it the old-fashioned way
    Same here. There seems to be a new song every two weeks, but after 306 songs and no album date yet, I want to wait to hear it in the context it needs to be heard so the album isn't already "old" to me by the time it comes out.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by » Tue June 18th, 2013, 19:50

Quote Originally Posted by jio
    Same here. There seems to be a new song every two weeks, but after 306 songs and no album date yet, I want to wait to hear it in the context it needs to be heard so the album isn't already "old" to me by the time it comes out.
    I've also done the same.

by » Tue July 2nd, 2013, 03:52

Prince fans, you have time left to participate in the Top Albums Of The 80s game over in Mad About Music, Seven of his albums are in the running. Read rules here and hope to get your votes in before August 1st.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by » Sat August 3rd, 2013, 19:54

Purple Rain was debuted and recorded live 30 years ago today!

by » Sat August 3rd, 2013, 20:16

Nice! I Would Die 4 U and Baby I'm A Star were also recorded at that First Avenue show

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by » Sat August 3rd, 2013, 20:19

Nice! I Would Die 4 U and Baby I'm A Star were also recorded at that First Avenue show
    If I could time travel, I'd go to that show. Just watched a video recording of the Purple Rain performance again. I actually prefer it without the strings at the end.