Legend
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 15:14

Quote Originally Posted by jio
    Quote Originally Posted by stevyy
    If I remember correctly, Whitney won a total of 7 Grammys in her career. I can't understand why Whitney, Mariah, basically also Madonna and Celine have all won so few of these, when they were the best of the best in many categories over the majority of their careers.
    That's because back then the grammys were rewarding artistic value rather than popularity... and although all of those stars had artistic value of course, they could always find some less popular act which was really setting trends and award it. Which is what the grammys should be all about really.

Nowadays the grammys are just a joke, they just award the most popular acts.
    This I do agree with, but I also agree with Stevvys orignal point that the four females should've won more than they have done

Legend
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 15:22

Quote Originally Posted by 04wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by stevyy
    If I remember correctly, Whitney won a total of 7 Grammys in her career. I can't understand why Whitney, Mariah, basically also Madonna and Celine have all won so few of these, when they were the best of the best in many categories over the majority of their careers.
    That's because back then the grammys were rewarding artistic value rather than popularity... and although all of those stars had artistic value of course, they could always find some less popular act which was really setting trends and award it. Which is what the grammys should be all about really.

Nowadays the grammys are just a joke, they just award the most popular acts.
    This I do agree with, but I also agree with Stevvys orignal point that the four females should've won more than they have done
    Yeah they should have but not by much, award shows should be a way to promote new more obscure acts who do something really interesting and exciting. But yeah Beyonce should probably have about 15 grammys less lol

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 15:27

If Grammys are really that irrelevant nowadays, why do you guys care so much?
    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Legend
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 15:28

Quote Originally Posted by hugom2c
    If Grammys are really that irrelevant nowadays, why do you guys care so much?
    Personally I haven't watch them for over a decade... talking about them doesn't mean we care about them that much, it just means that we are commenting on what is a part of popular culture

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 15:36

Personally I haven't watch them for over a decade... talking about them doesn't mean we care about them that much, it just means that we are commenting on what is a part of popular culture
    But why always demerit Beyoncé's sucess? IMO she's actually a great role model (you don't see her name on the tabloids unlike Whitney) and she's very talented...

Instead you should worry that acts like BEP already have 6 grammys making crap music like IGAF :-?

Legend
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 15:40

But why always demerit Beyoncé's sucess? IMO she's actually a great role model (you don't see her name on the tabloids unlike Whitney) and she's very talented...

You should worry that acts like BEP already have 6 grammys making crap music like IGAF :-?
    Well because her total amount of grammys won is the best example of what a joke the grammys have began. Whether she is good or not is a matter of personal taste, but to have won more than double the amount of grammys of any other female (I think) is just a joke looking at it objectively

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 15:48

Well because her total amount of grammys won is the best example of what a joke the grammys have began. Whether she is good or not is a matter of personal taste, but to have won more than double the amount of grammys of any other female (I think) is just a joke looking at it objectively
    What are the awards that she won that you consider undeserving?

So, in your opinion the Grammys shouldn't award Beyoncé with that last award, 'cause she would break the previous record? That really doesn't make any sense! If she really deserves to win, they must give her the award. Who cares about the other females??

Legend
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 15:58

Aretha has won 15 grammys hasn't she? But still, Beyonce winning 16 is a joke indeed

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 16:00

Too bad for you guys, your joke will keep on winning them

Superstar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 16:29

Quote Originally Posted by 04wayne
    Aretha has won 15 grammys hasn't she? But still, Beyonce winning 16 is a joke indeed
    I agree with this. Beyoncé is surely talented and a great artist, no one doubts that, but we also know that her Grammys are just too much and undeserved, even some of her fans admit it. At the same time she doesn't even have a proper signature song to begin with as Celine has "My Heart Will Go On", Mariah's "Hero", Whitney's "I Will Always Love You" or Madonna's "Like A Prayer". I don't doubt she still has many years in the industry and the potential for that, but 16 Grammys are something to laugh at. It's like winning Moon mans now.

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 16:31

Quote Originally Posted by Loverboy
    At the same time she doesn't even have a proper signature song to begin with
    She has plenty of them

Legend
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 16:31

16 now, what's the betting that by 2020 (subject to the Earth not being destroyed by the sun ) she will have 30 grammys

Superstar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 16:33

She has plenty of them
    Like? She has very popular song, not timeless classics as the ones mentioned above.

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 16:35

She has plenty of them
    Like? She has very popular song, not timeless classics as the ones mentioned above.
    She's not 40 like Mariah, only time will tell Hopefully she'll have more than 5 signature songs just like Michael Jackson

Superstar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 16:41

She has plenty of them
    She's not 40 like Mariah, only time will tell Hopefully she'll have more than 5 signature songs just like Michael Jackson
    If I'm not wrong Beyoncé is 29 now. All Mariah's signature songs, just to put in perspective (excluding "We Belong Together", if you even count that) are all between 1990-1998 (she had 28 in 1998). But as I pointed, Beyoncé totally has the potential to create something that does stand the test of time. I think it will be a ballad with huge vocals.

Legend
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 16:45

Yep Celine to was 29 or earlier when she recorded her signature songs.

Anyway, this is Whitneys topic. Yay Whitney lol

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it will be a ballad with huge vocals.
    She already did that with "Listen" that imo is as known worldwide as any Mariah Carey signature songs... Singing competition contests prove that

Love whitney!!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She already did that with "Listen" that imo is as known worldwide as any Mariah Carey signature songs... Singing competition contests prove that
    LOL wrong on so many levels, and so very untrue

Superstar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 16:48

Hmmm, no

In some years you will understand what I mean.

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 17:01

Her 16 grammis are valid because she is one of the best if not the best Contemp r'n'b female in the last 20 years.
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 17:34

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru
    Her 16 grammis are valid because she is one of the best if not the best Contemp r'n'b female in the last 20 years.
    So you are trying to say that she deserved 16 grammys and Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, Celine, Bjork, Tori, Janet, Kate Bush, Donna Summer, Aretha Franklin, Tracy, Cyndi, Cher, Tina, Diana, Barbra, Dolly, Debbie Harry, Brandy, Aaliyah, Mary J., Alicia, Janis and so many others didn't? I consider all those females better than Beyonce btw

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 17:41

So you are trying to say that she deserved 16 grammys and Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, Celine, Bjork, Tori, Janet, Kate Bush, Donna Summer, Aretha Franklin, Tracy, Cyndi, Cher, Tina, Barbra, Dolly, Debbie Harry, Brandy, Aaliyah, Mary J., Janis and so many others didn't? I consider all those females better than Beyonce btw
    No, the thing he's trying to say and you guys are so reluctant to understand is that Beyoncé's work was the best in each category she was nominated for the respective year ! That's simple.

If others didn't win more awards, it's not Beyoncé's fault...

Artists like Avril, Diana Ross and Bjork never won a Grammy. Britney spears won one in 2005. That doesn't mean Britney is superior to the former mentioned. It just means that Toxic was the best dance recording song in 2005. I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough btw is whitney preparing a new album?

Legend
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 17:53

So you are trying to say that she deserved 16 grammys and Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, Celine, Bjork, Tori, Janet, Kate Bush, Donna Summer, Aretha Franklin, Tracy, Cyndi, Cher, Tina, Barbra, Dolly, Debbie Harry, Brandy, Aaliyah, Mary J., Janis and so many others didn't? I consider all those females better than Beyonce btw
    No, the thing he's trying to say and you guys are so reluctant to understand is that Beyoncé's work was the best in each category she was nominated for the respective year ! That's simple.

If others didn't win more awards, it's not Beyoncé's fault...

Artists like Avril, Diana Ross and Bjork never won a Grammy. Britney spears won one in 2005. That doesn't mean Britney is superior to those above mentioned. It just means that Toxic was the best dance recording song in 2005. I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough btw is whitney preparing a new album?
    If the grammys could not find any better artist or song or performance in at least two thirds of the awards she won, it means they didn't look hard enough. Dangerously In Love best contemporary R&B album? Really? Halo best R&B vocal? I mean come on

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 17:57

If the grammys could not find any better artist or song or performance in at least two thirds of the awards she won, it means they didn't look hard enough. Dangerously In Love best contemporary R&B album? Really? Halo best R&B vocal? I mean come on
    Now that is something I can accept. Cause you're giving your opinion in wich categories she shouldn't have won

Actually, I do agree with you (Halo pop vocal), IIWAB was a better contender and B'Day was very underrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 18:04

I think it's inappropriate to discuss beyonce's grammy wins in this thread.

Grammies are not a yardstick to measure an artist's impact/artistry or even quality of work and CERTAINLY NOT musicianship.
    It's voted by a panel who obviously have different tastes.

That Beyonce is not the best female artist of all time(not yet anyway) proves to that effect.

It can be Aretha,Madonna,Mariah/Whitney/Celine/Barbra
    depending on the various circles of music.