Page 3 of 439 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitney Houston

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 20:05

I'd actually say that Beyoncé is more talented than the likes of Whitney, Mariah and Celine - she is a much more well-rounded act.

Anyway this topic is about Whitney Houston. She definitely had the best voice that ever existed (power, range, soul, personality) and she has influenced so many singers and will do so for a long long time.

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 20:29

I love how a Whitney thread became a place for Beyonce stans to troll. She has her own thread on this board, does she not?

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 20:33

Im in love with So Emotional at the moment ! Love the song CLASSIC
    P=MC2's Top 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Merci
    Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 20:35

i'm loving Whitney atm!

i just adore 'So Emotional' & 'Didn't We Almost Have It All' & 'All The Man That I Need'.

i wanna watch the Oprah interview again, does anyone have a link that actually works?

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 20:37

"All The Man I Need" has probably overtaken "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" as my favourite Whitney song.
    It's just a perfect ballad.

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 20:42

Quote Originally Posted by UKMusicLova
    "All The Man I Need" has probably overtaken "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" as my favourite Whitney song.
    It is... but you should really listen to the original (or just earlier? I'm not sure) version by Sisters Sledge ("We Are Family") it's even better

Legend
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 20:42

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    I love how a Whitney thread became a place for Beyonce stans to troll. She has her own thread on this board, does she not?
    I'm sorry, but I wasn't disrespecteful at all. We were just sharing our points of view and we named specific artists for some examples... nothing wrong with that I think.

Beyonce stans? No, it was just me, no need to generalize.

Besides, I love Whitney too.
    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 20:48

Quote Originally Posted by jio
    It is... but you should really listen to the original (or just earlier? I'm not sure) version by Sisters Sledge ("We Are Family") it's even better
    Couldn't find it on Youtube but listened to a clip on iTunes and it sounds more sensual (is that the right word...hmm I can't think of something else)

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 20:54

Couldn't find it on Youtube but listened to a clip on iTunes and it sounds more sensual (is that the right word...hmm I can't think of something else)
    Yeah my feelings too

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 21:05

Quote Originally Posted by PosziMC2
    Im in love with So Emotional at the moment ! Love the song CLASSIC
    My favourite Whitney song
    I like many of her songs though.
    Channel Orange Ray Of Light Electra Heart Back To Black

Legend
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

by » Tue September 21st, 2010, 21:14

I'm not sooo much a fan of 80's Whitney, I have to admit. I wanna dance with somebody is my favourite song of hers from the 80's. (+ Didn't we almost have it all) But don't get me wrong, her 80's songs are amazing and are the basis of her status as an icon!

It's amazing how so many of the legendary 80's/90's divas had their creative peak in the '97-'98 range. (meaning My Love is your Love)

by » Wed September 22nd, 2010, 00:38

Quote Originally Posted by stevyy
    I'm not sooo much a fan of 80's Whitney, I have to admit. I wanna dance with somebody is my favourite song of hers from the 80's. (+ Didn't we almost have it all) But don't get me wrong, her 80's songs are amazing and are the basis of her status as an icon!

It's amazing how so many of the legendary 80's/90's divas had their creative peak in the '97-'98 range. (meaning My Love is your Love)
    so true, I loved her in the 80's but the stuff hasn't aged as well as My Love Is Your Love has, some of the ballads off the debut are embarrassing IMO (All At Once and Hold Me are two songs I didn't bother adding to my ipod when I put my collection on there). I remember a common opinion was that most people didn't want more power ballads, but another album in that vein.

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by » Wed September 22nd, 2010, 00:56

so true, I loved her in the 80's but the stuff hasn't aged as well as My Love Is Your Love has, some of the ballads off the debut are embarrassing IMO (All At Once and Hold Me are two songs I didn't bother adding to my ipod when I put my collection on there). I remember a common opinion was that most people didn't want more power ballads, but another album in that vein.
    I think "All At Once" is an OK ballad, nothing spectacular but OK whereas ballads such as "You Give Good Love", "The Greatest Love Of All", " Saving All My Love For You" and "One Moment In Time" remain as good today as they were then. In terms of dance singles, "So Emotional" and "Love Will Save The Day" are my favourite from the '80s with special mention to "I'm Your Baby Tonight" (I know it was released in 1990 but it sounds very '80s).

I don't know about "My Love Is Your Love", I bought the album on the strength of the singles and I gave it away eventually because it was very much a singles+fillers album. Most of the singles from that album still sound good although I am tired of "It's Not Right" and "My Love Is Your Love" (the song), the rest are still fine to me.

Legend
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

by » Wed September 22nd, 2010, 10:05

with special mention to "I'm Your Baby Tonight" (I know it was released in 1990 but it sounds very '80s).
    yes, I'm your baby tonight is VERY great! This made me buy the album!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Wed September 22nd, 2010, 21:01

I'd actually say that Beyoncé is more talented than the likes of Whitney, Mariah and Celine - she is a much more well-rounded act.

Anyway this topic is about Whitney Houston. She definitely had the best voice that ever existed (power, range, soul, personality) and she has influenced so many singers and will do so for a long long time.
    It's so subjective who is better.
    My friends would prefer Whitney and Celine over Beyonce.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Wed September 22nd, 2010, 22:43

with special mention to "I'm Your Baby Tonight" (I know it was released in 1990 but it sounds very '80s).
    yes, I'm your baby tonight is VERY great! This made me buy the album!
    This is my favourite Whitney song!

1. I'm Your Baby Tonight
    2. For The Lovers
    3. I Have Nothing
    4. I Wanna Dance With Somebody
    5. So Emotional

It's a weird list, I know

Manager
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

by » Thu September 23rd, 2010, 08:51

Youi know what's really weird? My favourite Whitney song ever is... "Fine".
    Yes, indeed.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Thu September 23rd, 2010, 13:53

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLinda
    Yes, indeed.
    Not my cup of tee, but it's kinda cute

by » Thu September 23rd, 2010, 20:14

"Fine" is very underrated, I think it deserved more success than it received.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon September 27th, 2010, 04:41

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLinda
    Yes, indeed.
    I love 'Fine' and the video is cute. Q-tip did a great job. I have so many favorites, I can't decide.

I also love
    Just the Lonely Talking
    You're stillmy man

and pretty much all of her gospel songs.

Youtube, 'A quiet place' she takes me to heaven with that song
    I was not built to break!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon September 27th, 2010, 04:46

Quote Originally Posted by hugom2c
    Quote Originally Posted by Loverboy
    I think it will be a ballad with huge vocals.
    She already did that with "Listen" that imo is as known worldwide as any Mariah Carey signature songs... Singing competition contests prove that

Love whitney!!!
    Wow at all the Beyonce talk inthis Whitney thread.

Actually, of all the Divas, Whitney's songs are covered more on singing competitions. They did research on that, especially on American Idol.

Also, Whitney has several signature songs.

Greatest Love of All

of her debut remains a signature

Saving All My Love For You

and of course IwALY,

I agree that Beyonce doesn't have a signature song a la the other divas.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon September 27th, 2010, 04:52

Quote Originally Posted by 04wayne
    She was once the voice, now she isn't. Overshadowed in the nineties by Dion and Carey, who had better material, she never did get back what she had in the eighties, not even close,

Nowadays, her voice is shot. Still, her eighties , early nineties is what she will be remembered for, and for good reason, she had an amazing voice
    I can't at you all through these whitney threads with your sweepin statements with no basis in realty.

Whitney was not overshadowed in the 90s by anyone. She was at her vocal and sales peak with the Bodyguard which sold over 40mil worldwide and cemented her as one of the greats worldwide.

Not only that, of all the divas, she has been the most sucessful moviewise with 3 solid hits and with 3 more than sucessful tv movies and movie under her production house and of course she is the soundtrack queen.

Please stop trying to diminish Whitney's achielvement. Aretha doesn't sound like she did at her peak and she is still known as the queen of soul. Once a titleis given, it is never lost and her work still stands thetest of time.

The Bodyguard
    Waitingto Exhale
    The Preacher's wife

All three movies took place n the 90's and wer hits as well as their soundtracks. She was the first singer turned actress to command $10mil, where they do that at.

She remans'The voice' and despite her ups and downs, she is still respected by her peers and every girl who dreamsto sing, study her catalogue for a reason.

I don't know many wh claim to be influenced by Celine #no shade. Celine even said that Whitney influenced her, lol as did Mariah.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon September 27th, 2010, 04:56

Quote Originally Posted by 04wayne
    What did madonna release that sold more than I Look To You, in 2009?
    I believe Celebration sold more than "I Look To You" internationally... if I am wrong I am sorry though. And I didn't write off everything you wrote. I just expressed a different opinion.
    I love reading your perspective on Whitney, however, I don't think Celebration shipped or sold as much as ILTY internationally.

ILTY platinum in th US 970k scanned
    shipped 2.5mil ww

Celebration
    Don't quite recall but I don't think that it sold 300k in he US - It did much better internatinally but Idon't think it sold as much as ILTY

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon September 27th, 2010, 05:03

I agree with both Jio and Loverboy on this. Whitney was one of the biggest and brightest stars of her day and she was such a natural. She was a major player on MTV back when Michael and Prince were pretty much the only black stars on the network (Janet's Control was still a little while off), and while Prince and Michael made more rock-oriented crossover music in the day, she was getting it with soulful AC ballads... that showed just how wide a range she reached. She was massive in the 80's and early 90's and I think a lot of younger people can't grasp the level she reached back then. You couldn't go anywhere for nearly six months in 92-93 without hearing "I Will Always Love You", that song was all over pop culture at that moment.

Although her voice is lost (and I think her voice is one of the biggest cases one could use against drug addiction), I thought "I Look To You" had some really good tracks on it and gives me hope for some more decent music in the future, although her days of belting out great power ballads are finished.
    I don't think her voice is lost. I don't think she will sound like she did in the 80's and really nobody sounds like they did 25 yrs prior.

Also, most of her vocaldamage did not come from drugs. That is a misconception. She besides Celine has done a lot of touring, some 600 dates and unlike Celine, she doesn't lip (which in retrospect she pobably should have to save her voie)

She developd nodules and continue to sing. During The bodyguard tour and her Brazilian tour, there are clips and newspaper articles of doctors telling her to cancel due to vocal stress etc ad she still sang.

Watch her brazlian concert,clearly she is ill and she is still singing and soundig amazing.

This is what contribued to her vocal decline simila to Mariah who also has nodules and who also partakes in drinking alcohol which is drying to the vocal chords.

Besides the nodules and crazy tour schedule, then the cigarettes and drugs contributed.

I've heard her all through thistour, she still has a voice and a more powerful chest tone than her bodyguad era. Her issue is breath support and consistancy.

Her interpretative skill is even better which makes up for the change from a soprano and if anyone hear Mariah's singapore concert today, theywould not be casting aspersions on anyone and realize that both of these divas vocals have changed.

by » Tue September 28th, 2010, 22:09

If her vocal problems started with The Bodyguard tour, why did she still sound amazing throughout the 90's? It wasn't really until I Look To You that you hear a serious deterioration in her voice. The two songs I couldn't stand on the album were the two power ballads. Midtempo numbers and upbeat songs compliment her 2010 voice better. It's when she tries singing songs like I Will Always Love You and I Have Nothing today that critics begin to savage her.