Thread: Ashanti

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-12-18, 09:16

Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak
    She previewed a new song called You Deserve It on her IG.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Br2qONtBuf5/
    | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Legend
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Floped and localed

Superstar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-12-18, 18:30

Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak
    She previewed a new song called You Deserve It on her IG.
    If it's the same DJ Mustard sounding song that I'm thinking, it has been teased since 2015. I wasn't feeling it.

Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-01-19, 15:54

How I Shop: Ashanti

We all buy clothes, but no two people shop the same. It can be a social experience, and a deeply personal one; at times, it can be impulsive and entertaining, at others, purpose-driven, a chore. Where do you shop? When do you shop? How do you decide what you need, how much to spend and what's "you"? These are some of the questions we're putting to prominent figures in our column "How I Shop."

Due to a slight scheduling mishap, my interview with Ashanti was not ... on time. (I'm so sorry; I couldn't help myself.) But, hey, I was happy to wait patiently for my chat with the R&B singer whom I greatly enjoyed as the "ft." artist on some of my favorite early-2000s MTV "Total Request Live"-era bops — like "What's Luv," which has been playing in my head for the past two weeks. (Not mad about it.)

But, of course, Ashanti has been working hard in the industry for the past 15 years — continuously releasing albums, acting and appearing as a judge on "RuPaul's Drag Race" — and 2019 will be no exception. She double bills as star and executive producer in her upcoming movie "Stuck" and will be dropping a new album, which may include a collaboration with her "Always on Time" partner and Fyre Festival co-founder Ja Rule. Ashanti also recently covered Paper magazine in an edgier, more experimental look to kick off her big year.

"Image is really important, especially nowadays because everything is visual. Sometimes people will love you more for how you look than how your talent is," she says, over the phone from New York. "So for me, as an artist, it's just really important to stay true to myself. Try different things. I never in a million years would have thought that I would be wearing a turquoise bun on the cover of Paper."

Speaking of fashion, Ashanti also collaborated with New York-based Miss Circle, founded by designer Isabel Deng, on a capsule collection of body-con, party-ready dresses, jumpsuits and separates. "I just really wanted things that I love, things that I wear, things that make my body look the best and accentuate [it]," she explains. "Just really make it my style and my swag and, at the same, time affordable and approachable." Prices for the line run from $60 for a velvet, wine-hued bodysuit to $140 for a silver-sequin blazer dress.

Unsurprisingly, the multi-platinum artist and multi-hyphenate is a total professional — and a really great sport, to boot. While prepping for the collaboration's launch party, Ashanti was happy to discuss the "layers" to her personal style, revisit her early 2000s fashion (low-rise jeans and sparkly belts!) and admit her latest five-digit splurge.

"I have so many layers to [to my style]. It depends on the mood. So if I want to feel sexy and fashionable, I might put on a one-piece with a cinched waist. I have what I call 'mosquito bite-sized boobs,' so I might have the V-cut and a high pump and a high pony. You know, keep it chic and sexy. If I want to feel like I'm just kicking it, I'll probably just put on some jeans and whatever the limited-edition Nikes are. Throw on a quick Gucci tee or something.

I grew up being a tomboy, so I loved sweats. I loved sneakers. Obviously, I like things to fit my body and then I like things to just look effortless and cozy and comfortable and just be me. I always say my style is 'sassy, classy, sexy, not trashy,' and it's just really important nowadays to be super versatile.
    I found my style somewhere around my second ["Chapter II," 2003] or third album ["Concrete Rose," 2004]. Then, I was doing hats, tank tops, jeans and had little sparkly belts and the jewelry. People would identify it: 'oh, that feels like an Ashanti vibe.' One thing that I remember that was an 'Ashanti thing:' I would always wear a Kangol and then I had a long crooked heart jewelry piece that was a signature. People would always say, 'oh, that's the Ashanti heart.'

You know what's so funny? So my stylist is very young. He's in his mid-20s and he was looking at some really old pictures of me — like when my first and second album came out [in 2002 and 2003] — and he's like, 'oh my god, this is so freeesh. This is coming back right now!' It's so weird how everything is really coming back around: the puff jackets, Karl Kani is coming back. Fila is coming back.

Ah, I love the low-rise trend [from the era]. The low-rise Levi's?! Oh my god. Those were my favorite. They sent me boxes and boxes of Levi's [back then]. I'd been at an event and I stayed at a hotel and they put the boxes in the basement because there were so many and I never went and picked them up. I'm so sad to this day. Those were my favorite, favorite jeans. Oh my god, I had so many pairs.

These days, I do some online shopping and I definitely go into the store and shop. Online, I do Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, Barneys New York, Bergdorf Goodman, Intermix and Zappos. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. In person, my sister put me on to some really cool vintage shops on Melrose. There are really some gems on Melrose. I hate, absolutely hate, trying clothes on, but I absolutely have to. But, I'll do a little bit of both. I'll screenshot some stuff and maybe send it to my sister or send it to my stylist, like, 'Hey, what do you think of this? Can you go pick it up for me?' Kind of slide it in.

I like limited-edition stuff. I like one-of-a-kind; if they only have this color. For me, just being in the studio and being comfortable and still feeling fashionable. I'll get a Chanel hoodie and some Chanel slides, and I'm still comfortable.
    I was recently on the phone with the Louis Vuitton personal shopper for like an hour. We were trying to locate these pieces that I wanted from different parts of the country because none of the pieces were where I was. I just bought two Louis Vuitton sweatsuits that I absolutely love. This is a little bit of impulse shopping: I bought two sweatsuits, a pair of sneakers and luggage. And then I said to myself, 'I really just wanted to come in and get one thing. How am I leaving spending $30,000? This is ridiculous.' Oh, my sister and my cousin just walked in.

'Did you guys bring me anything? I see the garment bags!' No, they only brought stuff for themselves."

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 04-01-19, 11:28

Yasss Ashanti get that viral success in 2019!
    What a Queen though, she sounded better without the production

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 05-01-19, 08:24

For me, she’s the second best vocalist behind Beyoncé.
    | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 05-01-19, 10:07

^You need to listen to some more singers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    Cuz you ugly and can't relate

Legend
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 05-01-19, 10:40

Quote Originally Posted by ThaInfo1

But for real, she was never as bad as people were trying to portray. I'm just glad she's gettimg some good promo with this
    Floped and localed

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 05-01-19, 12:34

Quote Originally Posted by ThaInfo1

Throw me some names

Roadie
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 05-01-19, 16:00

Considering her career debut happened more than 15 years ago, I feel like there aren't many real musical highlights in her catalogue so far. I like 'Rock wit U' and 'Hey Baby', but I would consider 'Only U' the only great song of hers so far. Besides, I own 'Chapter II' and 'Concrete Rose' and both sound very filler-heavy to me, which is sad for the fact that she as a musician seems to be highly respected in the urban community.

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 05-04-19, 18:35

Ashanti reveals new album plans, potential collabs with J Balvin, Swae Lee, more

Ashanti fans have some happythis link opens in a new tab news to celebrate.

The Grammy-winning R&B icon tells EW she’s currently working on her first new album in five years, which she hopes to have out by the end of 2019.

“I’m working with some amazing producers, really cool ideas, and collabs!” the 38-year-old star and executive producer of the new movie Stuck (out April 19) says of the planned follow-up to her 2014 LP Braveheart. “I’m excited about the next few moves, the year ahead, and releasing new music. It’s going to be a lot of fun.”

In addition to overseeing the project’s production with mega-producer Metro Boomin, Ashanti says Tory Lanez, Jeremih, and Swae Lee will also appear on the album, while she’s discussed potential collaborations with Davido, J-Roc, J Balvin, and Cardi B/Iggy Azalea producer J. White Did It.

As for a release date, Ashanti says her seventh LP still needs more time in the oven.

“With me, it’s timing. There are a lot of things going on and it’s important to try and line everything up as much as you can, but it’s also important to not sit and wait on things. Sometimes I have a bad habit of waiting for things to line up perfectly because sometimes that doesn’t happen and then you miss out,” she explains, seemingly referencing the six-year gap between 2008’s The Declaration and Braveheart. “But I’d love to have some new stuff out this summer!”

Ashanti, who rose to prominence with smash hits like “Happy” and “Foolish” in 2002, previously teased the forthcoming album with the Ty Dolla $ign-assisted, DJ Mustard-produced slapper “Say Less” in November 2017, though she hasn’t released a single from the studio set since. Still, she promises something “really cool” with a concept that will be worth the wait.

“I can’t tell you yet. It has a concept…. it really tells a story [but] you really have to get it. I don’t even want to put a little bit out there because people are going to be like, ‘what?'” she continues of the album’s title and thematic narrative. “I’d rather give you the whole, full-course meal instead of just the appetizer, because if you don’t taste it right, it might not go down right!”
    +

A post shared by on

In theaters April 19th
    Last edited by Controlfreak; 05-04-19 at 18:37.

Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 05-04-19, 18:40

Ashanti's Reign: The Importance Of Murder Inc's First Lady

Taking a look back at the First Lady of Murder Inc.'s reign at the top of R&B and rap.
    Last year saw plenty of people attempt to crack jokes over Ashanti’s appearance at the 2018 MTV Video Music Awards. What was a one-hit wonder doing there? Where’s Ja? A quick interview with the singer on the red carpet revealed all – she was in attendance for Jennifer Lopez accepting the 2018 Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, although she couldn’t resist throwing a little shade: "hopefully she'll be performing one of the songs I wrote for her," Ashanti told the host.

As First Lady of Murder Inc, Ashanti’s pen game had to be great. She supplied the label with great hooks for hit songs-in-waiting and in some cases, gifted entire songs away to singers like J-Lo. In a post-Puffy landscape that took rap to a place where it shared symbiotic DNA with R&B and pop, the timing couldn’t have been better for Ashanti to thrive. Her run was incredible – even prompting an infamous New York Times review where an emerging Beyonce was unfavourably compared to Ashanti. While Ashanti hasn’t had the massive stretch of longevity that Beyonce has had (let’s be real here, who has?), let’s not forget how incredible her reign was at the top of the pop and rap charts, with Murder Inc in tow.

Ashanti didn’t just appear from thin air. She met Sean Combs when she was 14, nearly signing a deal with Bad Boy Records after he heard her sing a Mary J. Blige tune. The deal would fall through but she would later meet Irv Gotti and prove her songwriting abilities by writing hooks for artists he was managing before signing to his Murder Inc., in 2001.

“No one believed that I wrote my records,” Ashanti told Billboard in 2017. “[Murder Inc.] used to make me write at what used to be called Crackhouse Studios on Mercer and they used to make me write in front of them, because they were like, ‘There's no way.’”

She would team up with rappers like Big Pun, Fat Joe and Ja Rule after that, bringing a candy-sweet sensuality to their rugged rap records. It was a bold move that paid out for Murder Inc.; songs like “Down 4 U,” “Mesmerize,” “Always On Time” and “How We Roll” would hit big on the rap charts, establishing Murder Inc and their crew of rappers. These were songs that had street appeal but could work as pop songs too. Most importantly, they introduced Ashanti to the public. Her records with Ja Rule revived the idea of a rap/R&B duet that could actually work, thanks in no part to the two’s fantastic chemistry.

At the same time, she was also writing for Jennifer Lopez, providing "I'm Real (Murder Remix)" and "Ain't It Funny (Murder Remix)," which gave Lopez two top ten hits and gave her the cred she needed to pull a switch from her pop sound to something more rap-friendly.

Let’s talk about the fact that Ashanti’s coming out party happened to be her debut single “Foolish,” essentially a rewrite of Biggie’s “One More Chance” (Ashanti released an altered version of the song named "Unfoolish" that went even further and enlisted a ghostly guest feature from the man himself).

By 2002, Murder Inc had a chokehold over the music industry and a lot of that was due to the strength of Ashanti’s pen game. By the time “Foolish” came out, Ashanti had become an established presence on the Billboard charts, making it so “Foolish” would spend ten weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100. Ashanti broke history by reaching the Hot 100's top five with her first three charted singles – ”What’s Luv?,” “Foolish” and “Always on Time,” the first woman to do so. The last act who achieved Hot 100 dominance with their first three singles? It was the Beatles, striking hot with Beatlemania in 1964. Thirty-eight years later, Ashanti had this, plus four top 10 singles to her name in 2002-- all at the same time.

This culminated with the release of her self-titled debut in April 2002, which topped the Billboard 200 with a then-record-setting first-week sales of 503,000 units, the highest first-week sales of a female artist’s debut in history-- which got Ashanti in the Guinness Book of World Records. In its second week, it outsold Beyonce’s Dangerously in Love, spurring the now infamous NYT headline.

"Everyone wants to be the best right? Who doesn't? It's a competitive business, but I was rooting for her," Ashanti said of the “rivalry” between her and Beyonce in 2014. "I just think we did two different types of music. It was a friendly competition, from my end."

The dominance continued. Ashanti went triple platinum before the end of the year and she ended up scoring eight Grammy nominations between 2003 and 2004, winning Best Contemporary R&B Album win for Ashanti. In that time, she also received eight Billboard awards, two American Music and three Soul Train awards.

Her follow-up albums Chapter II and Concrete Rose later went platinum and after having sold over 27 million albums worldwide, Ashanti is easily one of the most successful solo R&B acts in history. Add to the fact she avoided the beefing that sank Ja Rule and the rest of Murder Inc., (as well as the more recent Fyre Festival scandal, which ostensibly sunk Ja Rule a second time), and we all need to come to our senses and realize that Ashanti is one of the best to ever do it, and equally, we need to remind ourselves that she came up without the backing of a group like Destiny’s Child or TLC. Thus, she managed to establish her credibility solo, in a way that was wholly different at the time, and in the process, opened up future lanes for artists like Kehlani, Rihanna and even rap crooners like Swae Lee and Tory Lanez who could switch up between aggressive and sticky-sweet styles effortlessly.

Is it time to secure Ashanti's legacy yet?

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 05-04-19, 20:19

Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak View Post
    I still believe that she’s the best vocalist behind Beyoncé but she has no stage presence. She has so many bops in such a short space of time. But the days are gone for a diva holding a mic and talking to the crowd. We need entertainers.