Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldfrapp

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 22-10-10, 03:16

A bit dull and Supernaturey but not a bad effort. Surely this could result in some US airplay?
    Stan of: Devendra Banhart / Taylor Swift / Grimes / Utada Hikaru / Tori Amos
    Follow me on Last.fm?

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 01-11-10, 04:24

I have to give We Radiate a second chance soon, because it left absolutely nothing. I find it strange how Goldfrapp have failed this big

Sounds uninspired and rather tired.
    Your right Blondini, it almost sounds like a complete copy from another song, the melody is suspiciously familiar!
    Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
    and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 01-11-10, 05:08

Not a big fan of the song, and I'm actually kinda disappointed they're resorting to doing a Vampire Diaries song, which IMO is on the same level as Twilight. But if it does help their career, more power to them. They deserve to be one of the biggest acts in the biz.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 01-11-10, 05:44

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    Not a big fan of the song, and I'm actually kinda disappointed they're resorting to doing a Vampire Diaries song, which IMO is on the same level as Twilight. But if it does help their career, more power to them. They deserve to be one of the biggest acts in the biz.
    I, unfortunately, cannot see how this could somehow benefit Goldfrapp, it would then be on a extremely unidentifiable level.

They have deserved that title since the first album got released and for their fearless will (willingness?) to constantly seek new ground.

Altough, I fear that the very, very sad "too-old-border" is passed and that Alison as front person no longer stands out enough (or in the expected, current style) to be given radio support or young people's respect.

But... I'm positive there's a few more albums to come and I'm also not worried that they could ever fail to create a new pice of art.

"Cause your my number 1, I'm like a dog to get you"
    Luc

and you are no exception

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 01-11-10, 15:04

How could you say that Vinny? Alison Goldfrapp looks fantastic for her age & you'd never guess she was in her early 40s.
    I sing for the things money can't buy me.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 01-11-10, 15:31

Quote Originally Posted by theberen
    How could you say that Vinny? Alison Goldfrapp looks fantastic for her age & you'd never guess she was in her early 40s.
    She's in her 40s? I thought low to mid-30s at the most.
    Stan of: Devendra Banhart / Taylor Swift / Grimes / Utada Hikaru / Tori Amos
    Follow me on Last.fm?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 01-11-10, 15:51

Quote Originally Posted by Cactuar
    Quote Originally Posted by theberen
    She's in her 40s? I thought low to mid-30s at the most.
    "" exactly! I remember reading it in Q magazine around the time when Seventh Tree came out. I was literally agape - I think she has one of those timeless faces, like an English Rose.
    I sing for the things money can't buy me.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 01-11-10, 19:42

I was shocked to find out Alison was born in 1966. She takes very good care of herself.

Legend
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 01-11-10, 21:24

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    I was shocked to find out Alison was born in 1966. She takes very good care of herself.
    She looks amazing! Goldfrapp are one of my favourite duos, they are truly versatile and talented, I wish them luck in the future! It's a shame that in order to be a success in mainstream now you have to be rubbish! Anyay they're too good for mainstream anyway!

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 22-11-10, 23:49

Quote Originally Posted by crazycrazy
    She looks amazing! Goldfrapp are one of my favourite duos, they are truly versatile and talented, I wish them luck in the future! It's a shame that in order to be a success in mainstream now you have to be rubbish! Anyay they're too good for mainstream anyway!
    Great point there!!

Allison has confirmed that their contract with EMI has ended (hooray!!). so we will be getting a best of album next, which they have agreed to do (so I guess we will get 3-4 new tracks hopefully)

So now a case of looking for a new label that will get them the success they deserve hopefully, as the promotion of their latest album has been virtually non existant
    RIP The Queen Of Disco

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 23-11-10, 21:08

Will Gregory had a piece from his upcoming balloon man opera played on a concert on Radio 3 last week: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vj08j

Listen there! Jarvis Cocker introduces it - Jonny Greenwood has a piece in the concert, too.

Review here:

http://www.allgigs.co.uk/view/review/51 ... eview.html

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 07-12-10, 23:12

I am surprised that they've parted ways with Mute. I know Head First didn't sell as strong as previous albums, but I'd still argue that they are their second biggest act besides Depeche Mode. Mute remains loyal to Erasure and those guys have been poor sellers for a very long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 16-12-10, 13:07

I love them, ever since Black Cherry, and more specifically Train, I absolutely feel in love with. And they are one of those acts, I remained loyal to. I loved Black Cherry...their best album in my opinion. Felt Mountain, I went back to listen to. Supernature, for me, was a bit of a bittersweet blip, I loved the fact that they were getting tonnnes of recognition, but, material wise, I felt with that album in particular they lost a lot of integrity...Seventh Tree, back to the haunting beauty of Felt Mountain, and Head First, was pretty underrated too. Decent album, with a few standouts, including Rocket, which deserved to be a whooooole lot bigger.

In fact, Rocket, I covered, in a tribute-esque youtube cover, if interested, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzyhrJ3l4fg

x
    Gotye, Guetta, Tulisa [Live Mashup]:
    http://youtu.be/nl8qTud8TbM

Parting Words [Original Song]:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haAgrR6bgYA

Legend
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 12-03-11, 17:53

They deserve so much more attention! I've just fallen in total love with the Felt Mountain album all over again, it's absolutely sublime, nothing else can put me in this blissful mood!!

It's in my Top 5/10 all time list in fact, it's that great!

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 08-04-11, 03:10

As you all know Im a huge fan of anything and everything Goldfrapp! Today we have great news, as the duo are heading back to the studio to record new music for their sixth album!

Will Gregory told BBC6

I am ready to do it now, to get back to Goldfrapp will be a very refreshing change. We have tried sitting down and writing lists and having coffee to talk about it, but usually we just mess about, its good not to be too conscious about what you do.

We have, as usual, lots of stuff in the bottom drawer which we rejected the first time round, but I expect well want to start a fresh this time round.

At the end of last year it was announced that Goldfrapp were no longer with EMI, and Alison spoke out about the future of the band

We are no longer with EMI. Its exciting because it is kind of, like, Wow, this is a whole new chapter really, what will we do and will anyone want us?

This is exciting news. As fans may already know, you never know what to expect with a new Goldfrapp album they always change their style!

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 08-04-11, 15:23

I hope they will back to theirs roots...

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 08-04-11, 15:27

Quote Originally Posted by Cmyk
    LOL

Legend
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-04-11, 00:34

Really excited about this, they are brilliant!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-04-11, 18:23

Looking forward to hearing new stuff from them..I love Head First!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-04-11, 18:39

Hope they do something like Bjorks Homogenic. They are possibly one of the most underrated bands ever
    "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 13-04-11, 08:07

Quote Originally Posted by Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmyk
    LOL
    I am sorry if you feel offended Cmyk but your post got me loling as well! They have no roots, they are constantly in need of finding a genuine new sound, which they then explore, converts and if it sounds sophisticated enough for them to experimenting with, then they'll start recording.

The easiest way to describe my view on Goldfrapps music! I anticipate new records with them everyday, listening to Alison's voice is one of my favourite things to do in life. It's very beautiful.
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 13-04-11, 22:48

Bring it on!
    I hope the album will return to the sound of 'Supernature', as that's my fav. Goldfrapp album, but I'd be happy with anything really. They never disappoint. I also really enjoyed their 'Seventh Tree' album, so wether they go dance/pop or folky pop, I'll be fine

Legend
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 13-04-11, 23:13

Quote Originally Posted by Vindrag
    listening to Alison's voice is one of my favourite things to do in life. It's very beautiful.
    I agree completely!! Her voice IS sex undoubtedly, her voice is bliss! I really am excited for what they have on offer this time, I've loved all of their albums so very much, all different, all have amazing melodies and feeling!

Supernature was great but their weakest and that's my honest opinion, the singles were great but the album as a whole can not compete with their other albums!!

I still think their first 2 albums are the best, Felt Mountain & Black Cherry, both just totally up my street but in different ways!