User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 135

Thread: Tips to Lose Weight

  1. #1
    Superstar
    Join Date
    01 Jan 2009
    Location
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Posts
    7,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 14-11-10, 22:25

    At the beginning of this year,I had to move from my family's house and live alone. During that challenge,I had to face depression and anxiety that brought the gain of 12 kilos.Now I'm great and I wanna get my slender body back.

    I'm already following the formula diet + workout,but I'd like to discuss about tips to lose weight and mistakes that damage that process.Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    20 Mar 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 15-11-10, 00:33

    To keep it short i'd say running + a healthy diet (avoid carbs in the evening)
    I think people who want to lose weight should train more rather than just starve themselves.
    Channel Orange Ray Of Light Electra Heart Back To Black

  3. #3
    Manager
    Join Date
    14 Dec 2008
    Location
    Beauty School
    Posts
    4,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 15-11-10, 00:37

    Well I used to be overweight like 5 years ago and my teacher used to tell me that it's really more about the diet than the exercise (both are important though!)

    Personally, I cut on my carbs and I only ate brown carbs (i.e brown pasta, brown rice etc). I also increased my protein intake (lean meat, eggs, fish etc). My teacher used to tell me to eat fruits instead whenever I feel like snacking but not sure whether that's good coz fruits are carbs and some are high on sugar (I think?)

    And for the exercise, try HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) instead of the usual jogging etc. HIIT requires less time (usually it takes me 20-25 minutes INCLUDING warming up and cooling down) and burn ALOT MORE fat than jogging for the same amount of exercise time. You can google about HIIT and I'm one of many advocates of it!

    All that is really based on personal experience though (I went from 75 kg to 60 kg in about 8 months I believe) but good luck
    Emeli | Taylor

  4. #4
    robert989's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    15 Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,611
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 15-11-10, 00:45

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooriah
    Well I used to be overweight like 5 years ago and my teacher used to tell me that it's really more about the diet than the exercise (both are important though!)

    Personally, I cut on my carbs and I only ate brown carbs (i.e brown pasta, brown rice etc). I also increased my protein intake (lean meat, eggs, fish etc). My teacher used to tell me to eat fruits instead whenever I feel like snacking but not sure whether that's good coz fruits are carbs and some are high on sugar (I think?)

    And for the exercise, try HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) instead of the usual jogging etc. HIIT requires less time (usually it takes me 20-25 minutes INCLUDING warming up and cooling down) and burn ALOT MORE fat than jogging for the same amount of exercise time. You can google about HIIT and I'm one of many advocates of it!

    All that is really based on personal experience though (I went from 75 kg to 60 kg in about 8 months I believe) but good luck
    what is this can you give an example of exercises that are combined ?

  5. #5
    Manager
    Join Date
    14 Dec 2008
    Location
    Beauty School
    Posts
    4,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 15-11-10, 00:58

    Quote Originally Posted by robert989
    what is this can you give an example of exercises that are combined ?
    The easiest one would be sprint exercise.

    In layment terms, when you start out you can try;

    > 12-15 seconds running as fast as possible
    > slow jog for 36-45 seconds
    do this outside (really hard to do it on a treadmill) and repeat 10-12 times (when I first started out I can only do like 6-8 times)

    basically the sprint:slow jog ratio is 1:3 and when you are become more athletic, you can try to do 1:2.

    You should feel like you want to puke at the end of the exercise (like you really can't take it anymore).

    And by 'running as fast as possible' it means mantaining 60-70% of your maximum heart rate (but I never wear any heart monitor.. I just sprint like mad as if there are 42 dogs chasing me!)
    Emeli | Taylor

  6. #6
    Superstar
    Join Date
    30 Apr 2008
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    9,404
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 15-11-10, 04:17

    Walk a lot. Use public transport. Its like, walk to the bus stop. Walk to the train station. The walk to your workplace. I do that everyday, and I lost around 7 kilos in two months.

    Plus, avoid fatty foods. Being a vegetarian, Its easy for me to avoid fatty foods. So even you can think of going temporarily vegetarian.

  7. #7
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    04 Nov 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 15-11-10, 10:10

    I would suggest walking everywhere you can.

    Also, try and stick to no more then 1500 calories (if you're a lady?).

    I lost a stone and a half steadily over a few months, by walking 5 miles to work everyday (or most days...) and sticking to 1200 calories. You might think you can barely eat anything for that amount of calories - but sticking to salad at lunch, and walking meant I could actually eat plenty.

    If I was going out for dinner though then I would treat myself and not worry about the calories.
    Life is beautiful around the world

  8. #8
    NoAngels's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    24 Oct 2005
    Location
    Libya
    Posts
    9,815
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 15-11-10, 14:22

    Quote Originally Posted by skapunk
    Walk a lot. Use public transport. Its like, walk to the bus stop. Walk to the train station. The walk to your workplace. I do that everyday, and I lost around 7 kilos in two months.
    That's basically it! All people here, actually even people I know including friends, since they own a car they get fat because they depend completely on it, and they forget the value of walking.
    Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.

  9. #9
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    05 Sep 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 15-11-10, 17:52

    Soup and creamchease and vegetables...Some salty, spicy and tasteful food without any (practically) calories.

  10. #10
    Superstar
    Join Date
    01 Jan 2009
    Location
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Posts
    7,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 28-11-10, 15:07

    I started making walking in fasting and I had a lose of 2,2 kg in 1 week.I noticed an important lose of muscle mass :( . I'm trying to get the ideal lose weight per week: between 0,5 and 1 kg.

  11. #11
    DnBLover's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    21 Dec 2009
    Location
    PT-NO
    Posts
    14,703
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 28-11-10, 15:12

    Just get your fat a$$ out of the bed and do something!
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Superstar
    Join Date
    01 Jan 2009
    Location
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Posts
    7,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 28-11-10, 15:18

    Quote Originally Posted by BLover
    Just get your fat a$$ out of the bed and do something!
    I really love making walking.I have to wake up 4:00 to do that. My weekdays are so hard!

  14. #14
    Manager
    Join Date
    25 Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,698
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 28-11-10, 15:54

    Basically, you need eat less calories than you really need. First, you have to know how many calories you need per day. Second, you have to know how many calories of each food you eat.

    You can't just stop eating 'cause it'll affect on your metabolism (not in a good way). Whether you do this for a time, the next time you eat you gonna gain more calories than you used to be. In other words, you gonna be fatter.

    You must know that your body is against you. For it, it's better when you are fat, when you start to lose weight it will do everything to make you eat again.

    The most important thing: don't follow these diets on magazines, they don't work. Talk to nutritionists, they'll help you out with this.
    to the infinity and Beyoncé.

  15. #15
    mickey's Avatar
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    15 Dec 2002
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    1,919
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 28-11-10, 16:29

    Quote Originally Posted by Brazilian
    I'm trying to get the ideal lose weight per week: between 0,5 and 1 kg.
    Exactly, that's what you should be aiming at. My personal achievement: I lost 12kg in 16 weeks.

    As for loosing muscle - do you eat enough and do you eat in a balanced way? You should eat in small portions 5 or 6 times per day - that's at least what I do. Literally, sit down and calculate how much calories per day you need based on your lifestyle and then distribute them but watch what you eat. My advice would be to avoid: pork; cheese, butter and ice cream; corn and any kind of cornflakes; any kind of bread; any kind of roasted nuts; sugar (lol obviously!); any kind of alcohol or juice as well as cola, etc. Also, be careful with your consumption of white rice, potatoes, bananas, oil and salt. And, drink a lot of water - at least 3-4 liters per day!

    Speaking of training, it's really up to you how much time you can devote - 4 months ago I started with 3 times weight lifting and 3 times cardio per week and now I'm doing 4 times weights and 5 times cardio. I also have to fully agree with what Mooriah said about interval training - that's how I've deen doing my cardio since Day 1.

    And finally, one advice - speak with with a personal trainer. There's no way I would have achieved what I have if it wasn't for the guy who's been training me and I am very thankful to him for that.
    ~ You can never out train a poor diet! ~

  16. #16
    Manager
    Join Date
    07 Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    4,687
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 28-11-10, 17:16

    This is how I lost weight:

    - I made myself very superstitious... I kept telling myself that if I didn't start losing weight, something bad would happen to me and my family.

    - To make up for the fact that I could't really walk to places during the day (I live in a car-centric American city), I went for walks every night around my neighborhood

    - I stopped buying foods that weren't good for me.. for example, I stopped eating fast food, chips, candy, etc.

    - I watched the movies "Super Size Me" and "Food Inc." to gross me out of eating unhealthy processed foods

    - I went to the gym 2 times a week. Although that isn't as rigorous a workout schedule as many have, I just didn't have the time to go everyday

    - I drank a lot of water. I fooled my stomach into thinking it was full. Don't overdo this too much though!

    - I went to bed on a schedule and got enough sleep.

    - I tried to burn as much calories as I could per day.. for example, when waiting for something, I would do jumping jacks or just jog in place. I probably looked stupid but I don't care.

    - Eat foods high in fiber!

    - Last advice: Don't get on UKMix so much!! lol
    You're like a bad penny =)

  17. #17
    Shorty's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    20 Feb 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14,336
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 28-11-10, 22:16

    I also need to lose some weight. It's all on my stomach though, and it's haaaaaaard to shift. My arms, legs etc are slim as, and my stomach is huge :evil:

    But I've started working out, I already walk everywhere cos we don't have a car, I drink lots of water, eat healthily and all that. And nothing's working :evil:

    But my tips are, if you want sugar, eat some fruit instead of candy or sweets. When I want them, I eat strawberries or a mandarin or some yoghurt, it's much better for you And instead of eating high fat potato chips, I've moved onto eating rice cakes and pretzels. Pretzels are high in salt, but if you don't eat too many, they're a great low fat snack And rice cakes are 97% fat free! I'm obsessed with them.

    And lastly, don't make your diet boring. If you want to have some fast food or chocolate or whatever, don't deny yourself a little bit. If you deny yourself it every now and then, you're way more likely to just give up and indulge I should know...
    I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!

  18. #18
    Manager
    Join Date
    07 Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    4,687
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 29-11-10, 14:27

    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty
    I also need to lose some weight. It's all on my stomach though, and it's haaaaaaard to shift. My arms, legs etc are slim as, and my stomach is huge :evil:

    But I've started working out, I already walk everywhere cos we don't have a car, I drink lots of water, eat healthily and all that. And nothing's working :evil:

    But my tips are, if you want sugar, eat some fruit instead of candy or sweets. When I want them, I eat strawberries or a mandarin or some yoghurt, it's much better for you And instead of eating high fat potato chips, I've moved onto eating rice cakes and pretzels. Pretzels are high in salt, but if you don't eat too many, they're a great low fat snack And rice cakes are 97% fat free! I'm obsessed with them.

    And lastly, don't make your diet boring. If you want to have some fast food or chocolate or whatever, don't deny yourself a little bit. If you deny yourself it every now and then, you're way more likely to just give up and indulge I should know...
    Sit ups helped me get rid of the fat around my stomach
    You're like a bad penny =)

  19. #19
    Juancito75's Avatar
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    10 Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 29-11-10, 14:32

    Sit ups helped me get rid of the fat around my stomach[/quote]

    Please explain for people like me that don't speak proper english what "sit ups" means.

  20. #20
    Guest

    by » 29-11-10, 16:32

    Quote Originally Posted by Juancito75
    Please explain for people like me that don't speak proper english what "sit ups" means.
    of course!

  21. #21
    Manager
    Join Date
    07 Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    4,687
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 29-11-10, 20:18

    Quote Originally Posted by Juancito75
    Please explain for people like me that don't speak proper english what "sit ups" means.
    You're like a bad penny =)

  22. #22
    nekoocz's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    12 Jun 2007
    Location
    London now
    Posts
    13,768
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nekoo.cz - follow me

  23. #23
    Legend
    Join Date
    20 Mar 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 29-11-10, 22:00

    Quote Originally Posted by nekoo3372
    Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    waw how cool is that
    Channel Orange Ray Of Light Electra Heart Back To Black

  24. #24
    Shorty's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    20 Feb 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14,336
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 29-11-10, 22:34

    Quote Originally Posted by jonasmileynlt
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty
    I also need to lose some weight. It's all on my stomach though, and it's haaaaaaard to shift. My arms, legs etc are slim as, and my stomach is huge :evil:

    But I've started working out, I already walk everywhere cos we don't have a car, I drink lots of water, eat healthily and all that. And nothing's working :evil:

    But my tips are, if you want sugar, eat some fruit instead of candy or sweets. When I want them, I eat strawberries or a mandarin or some yoghurt, it's much better for you And instead of eating high fat potato chips, I've moved onto eating rice cakes and pretzels. Pretzels are high in salt, but if you don't eat too many, they're a great low fat snack And rice cakes are 97% fat free! I'm obsessed with them.

    And lastly, don't make your diet boring. If you want to have some fast food or chocolate or whatever, don't deny yourself a little bit. If you deny yourself it every now and then, you're way more likely to just give up and indulge I should know...
    Sit ups helped me get rid of the fat around my stomach
    I can't do sit ups cos I have a bad back. Two minutes of it and I'm in agony :x I tried but I can't do it. It's not worth the back pain! So I need other ways to shift it.
    I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!

  25. #25
    Superstar
    Join Date
    30 Apr 2008
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    9,404
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 30-11-10, 10:12

    Quote Originally Posted by DaBoi
    Quote Originally Posted by nekoo3372
    Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    waw how cool is that
    That was just awesome!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •