Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoko Ono

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Mon June 13th, 2011, 21:33

Listening to Walking On Thin Ice now, this sounds very good - biggest hit you say? I find that very interesting! Biggest, but not very big at all I imagine. 1981 - original version?

crazycrazy - you must understand what I mean when I say that Yoko's music puts me in that crazy Kate Bush - The Dreaming mood (best album of all time if you ask me). Yoko uses her voice in that sudden way. Great stuff.

Honestly, I find Walking.. rather experimental as well! Brilliant record!!
    Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
    and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Mon June 13th, 2011, 21:40

Give Me Something YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love these songs!!! I like that's she is very "rocky", not really how I expected her to sound!

Yang Yang

I get so confused when listening to too many random tracks like this, I must start somewhere for real.

Rising seems to be the most interesting album that's avaliable for iTunes puchasing. It's downloading now!

Finally. "Yang Yang Yang, Yang Yang, give up!"
    Luc

and you are no exception

by Mon June 13th, 2011, 21:58

Quote Originally Posted by Vindrag
    Who is this "Ono" artist that appears when I search for her on iTunes, have she used that name officially when releasing records as well?
    Ono is the name she uses for her remixes. Its definitely her

by Mon June 13th, 2011, 22:01

Listening to Walking On Thin Ice now, this sounds very good - biggest hit you say? I find that very interesting! Biggest, but not very big at all I imagine. 1981 - original version?

Honestly, I find Walking.. rather experimental as well! Brilliant record!!
    I think Walking was a "hit" (UK #35, US #58... but her only charting single on either singles chart) because of the whole aftermath of Lennon's murder and awareness that it was recorded the day he was murdered and had his guitar on it. I don't think it was much of an airplay hit, a shame because he did some of his best guitar work on it, he's almost trying to be a metal guitarist on the song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Mon June 13th, 2011, 22:13

That post above explains why I think you're one of best posters around here, interesting to read!

Bee! Bring on that survivor of yours now, I'm jamming to Rising and will continue doing it - I find all the songs really effective! How come I've never really given any of my time to discover Yoko Ono, I own a book with her poems and found those hugely inspiring and always thought "then her music must be equally creative" but I had to be introduced to her by you crazy and NothingFails until I really moved forward. Tssk - disappointed with myself. Next: Turned the Corner! (great track, maybe the "weakest" so far, but still really good).

I'm Dying now, long track - looking forward to hear this and the actual Rising track!
    Luc

and you are no exception

by Mon June 13th, 2011, 22:16

If you like Rising, I'd give her most recent album "Between My Head And The Sky" a listen too. It just came out in 2009 and shows that even at the age of 76 when she recorded it that Yoko has lost none of her edge.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Mon June 13th, 2011, 22:23

Hey, now wait there a minute!

I will with no doubts listen to that album as well as her other ones, but I'm the sort of listener which prefers to play one album for a long time (if I like it) until I move on to the next one!

But I believe you when you say that she has not lost it. Is Rising considered a favourite album by critics and fans? I'm gonna read that AllMusic review now: 3/5 stars.

4/5 in Rolling Stones - but I usually find their reviews pointless.

I'm Dying was good, but towards the end I kind of think the drowning screams, distorted or whatever, lost their purpose (if anyone can understand what I mean by that).
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Mon June 13th, 2011, 22:33

Allmusic review of Rising

3/5 stars

"The making of the album served as a purging of my angst, pain and fear," writes Yoko Ono in a sleeve note to her first new album in a decade. "I hope it will for you, too." The angst, pain, and fear she cites come both from her childhood in war-torn Japan and such current-day scourges as AIDS. Ono returns to primal screaming on some tracks to express those feelings, and the album's music, played by IMA, a trio featuring her son, Sean Ono Lennon, matches her fury with hard rock and funk worthy of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. In the '80s, Ono turned to pop/rock without achieving a commercial breakthrough. Here, she returns to the abrasive style of her '70s work, which has turned out to be more influential on a generation of alternative rockers.

by William Ruhlmann
    I'll try to return with my own thoughts on the album when I listened to it a few more times. Which artists could those be, that she has influenced? I can definietly feel the pain and anger in the album, it connects well with my mind.

Kurushi is heartbreaking in a way, very tragic tune.
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Mon June 13th, 2011, 22:47

Rolling Stones review on Rising

4/5

By DAVID FRICKE
    NOVEMBER 30, 1995

There are times when nepotism makes sense. The ardent patronage of her husband, John Lennon, enabled Yoko Ono to record and release some of the most fearless and prophetic music in avant-rock: the 1970 shriek feast Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band; the proto-No Wave bedlam of her 71 double album, Fly; the immortal 1981 serrated-boogie thang "Walking on Thin Ice." On Rising, her first studio album in nearly a decade, Ono wisely dives back into the gene pool this time with a crude-groove trio, IMA, led by her son, Sean Ono Lennon.

Based on the corrosive vigor of his guitar playing and IMA's strong minimalist rumble, Sean Lennon is the most sympathetic collaborator Ono has had since his father was killed. The leanness of Rising is a major improvement on the sugar-shock overproduction of Ono's mid-'80s solo albums and shows Lennon's confidence in the idiosyncratic vitality of his mother's voice. He, bassist Timo Ellis and drummer Sam Koppelman let Ono's rippling yelps and raw lamentations roam free over the fat clang of a rhythm guitar in "New York Woman" and the brute rain-dance pulse of "Turned the Corner." "I'm Dying" sounds like the Plastic Ono Jesus Lizard: one grinding chord progression cranked up to a crowd-surfing frenzy with Ono going into the kind of death-warble overdrive you usually don't expect from a 62-year-old millionairess.

The purgative quality of the music suits the gravity of the lyrics. Rising is not a collection of greeting-card pleas for world peace but a song cycle for the dying and the ones left behind something that Ono personally knows something about. The plain-spoken shiver with which she renders the episodes of rape, murder and child abuse in the bone-dry reggae stroll "Wouldnit" suggests the dark intimacy of a frightened young girl's secret diary. In "Kurushi" Japanese for "tormented" or "suffocating" she loses herself vocally in the huge spaces left by Lennon's austere piano figure and in the word itself, drawing out the syllables with emphatic desperation.

There are ballads and beatitudes as well ("Goodbye, My Love"; "Revelations," a softer, sweeter variation on John Lennon's martial hymn "God"). But Rising is mostly about passage through pain, and nothing broadcasts that more vividly than the lengthy title track. Singing tentatively at first, Ono works up to her breaking point, ripping at the lyrics ("Have courage, have rage, we're rising") like they were raw meat over Sean Lennon's two-chord strum and the naked syncopation of bongos. Like the Stooges' classic mantra "We Will Fall," "Rising" draws on the base element of howling rock & roll expression 14 minutes of crawling through shit to get to sunlight. That's not avant-garde. It's just music as real life.
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Mon June 13th, 2011, 23:04

Finished listening to the album now! I am happy I got this record, I can feel how it will inspire me and expand my creativity. The perfect album to start with according to me, but then again - I have not heard any other albums yet.

Goodbye, My Love & Revelations were the perfect tracks to finish off the album after Rising.
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by Tue June 14th, 2011, 00:45

Love the discussion in here!!! I'm so pleased your feeling Yoko, she is a very special artist for me. Yes Vin I'm like you like listening and getting deep into an album before moving onto another one but after hearing AIU, I just went beserk!!

NF is correct in saying it's difficult to suggest songs to listen to because much of it is an acquired taste but there's quite alot of great more accessible stuff too.

There is always something special on all of her records, the only 2 which I've taken longer to warm to are the Starpeace & Feeling The Space albums.

Hope you have a great time enjoying her music and I'll always love to hear your opinions on her music.

If you ever want any youtube etc links for any of her tracks I'll provide.
    My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Tue June 14th, 2011, 11:44

From the "What Album Are You Currently Listening? thread:

Quote Originally Posted by crazycrazy
    Yoko Ono - Rising (1995)

Current track: Wouldnit

What are your fave tracks so far Vin?
    I guess it would go something like this:

1. Rising
    2. Kurushi
    3. Goodbye, My Love
    4. Revelations
    5. Will I

the last 5 tracks it seems, but that's such silly list, cause I like all the tracks. Ask The Dragon & New York Woman should also be mentioned. I'll return with my own little "review" soon ;)
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Tue June 14th, 2011, 11:50

Bee! What do you think yourself about Rising? It contains a few tracks which I've seen you mention over the time, guessing you like the album very much? Would you describe this album as accesible or not? I like it very much!!!

That it's an acquiered taste is of course true, but you could say this about alot of artists. I'd believe most of my favourite artists belongs to this same category, that's why I don't find any of Yoko's tracks difficult to listen through. Don't get it twisted just because of my love for Ciara!

AIU sounds really interesting, I also want to go berserk! Thanks, I was wondering, do you own all her albums, since they're so hard to get? You should've been here last night when we discussed Yoko - I look forward to discover her music and discuss it with you man!!!
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by Tue June 14th, 2011, 13:38

Bee! What do you think yourself about Rising? It contains a few tracks which I've seen you mention over the time, guessing you like the album very much? Would you describe this album as accesible or not? I like it very much!!!

That it's an acquiered taste is of course true, but you could say this about alot of artists. I'd believe most of my favourite artists belongs to this same category, that's why I don't find any of Yoko's tracks difficult to listen through. Don't get it twisted just because of my love for Ciara!

AIU sounds really interesting, I also want to go berserk! Thanks, I was wondering, do you own all her albums, since they're so hard to get? You should've been here last night when we discussed Yoko - I look forward to discover her music and discuss it with you man!!!
    I LOVE Rising!!! I love all of the tracks that you mentioned 'Goodbye My Love & Will I' would be in my top list from the album too!! I love that it has an amazing dark moody edge running through it all, I love that cackly thing she does it is really effective!! My faves include Ask The Dragon, Warzone, Wouldnit & Turned The Corner but I love them all seriously.

I know what you mean when it comes to easily digesting her music as I'm accustomed to the more mad stuff! I only own Approximately Infinite Universe, Rising (download) & Season of Glass the rest I've got in mp3 form for now but will get them if I can eventually.

I look forward to discussing Yoko with you, try and get to hear all of the albums, they are fantastic in my opinion, just jamming to the amazing No, No, No on the Season of Glass album.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Tue June 14th, 2011, 14:07

Yoko Onos page on wikipedia

I've read half of this, what an interesting life, interesting woman! I need to find a proper biography or something! I read this part while listening to the song Rising, it was tough "reading".

In 1971, while studying with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in Majorca, Ono's second husband, Anthony Cox, accused Ono of abducting their daughter, Kyoko from his hotel. A large number of accusations were then made by both parents toward each other and the matter of custody. Cox eventually moved to Houston, Texas and converted to Evangelical Christianity with his new wife, who was originally from Houston. At the end of 1971, a custody hearing in Houston went against Cox. In violation of the order, he took Kyoko and disappeared.[citation needed] Ono then launched a search for her daughter with the aid of the police and private investigators.[20] Ono wrote a song about her daughter, "Don't Worry Kyoko (Mummy's Only Looking For Her Hand In The Snow)," which appears on Lennon and Ono's album Live Peace In Toronto 1969 and her album Fly. Both versions feature Eric Clapton on guitar. Kyoko is also referenced on the first line of "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" when Yoko whispers "Happy Christmas Kyoko" followed by Lennon whispering "Happy Christmas Julian."
    Both the press and the public were critical of her. She was blamed for the breakup of The Beatles and repeatedly criticized for her influence over Lennon and his music. Her experimental art was not popularly understood.[1]
    After the Beatles disbanded, Lennon and Ono cohabited in London and then in New York. Their relationship was strained by the theat of deportation Lennon faced based (due to drug charges filed in Britain), and Ono's separation from her daughter. The couple separated in 1973 and the two began living separate lives, Ono pursuing her career in New York and Lennon living in Los Angeles with personal assistant May Pang in a period commonly referred to as his "lost weekend."

In 1975, the couple reconciled. Their son, Sean, was born on Lennon's 35th birthday, October 9, 1975. After Sean's birth, the couple lived in relative seclusion at the Dakota in New York. John Lennon retired from music to become a househusband caring for their child, until shortly before his murder in December 1980, which Ono witnessed at close range. Ono has stated that the couple were thinking about going out to dinner (after spending several hours in a recording studio), but were returning to their apartment instead, because John wanted to see Sean before he was put to bed.[21] Following the murder, she went into complete seclusion for an extended period. Following Lennon's murder, Cox and Kyoko sent a message of sympathy to Ono but did not reveal their location. Ono later printed an open letter to Kyoko saying how she missed her but that she would cease her attempts to find her.[22] Kyoko would later appear on the 1987 title track of American English by the British pop band Wax.
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by Tue June 14th, 2011, 19:16

^ I know it's a real shocking and interesting story! Poor Yoko!! She's lived a painful life I love her for her expression.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Tue June 14th, 2011, 20:43

Never Say Goodbye sounds more modern in a way than the material from Rising, but I'm still guessing it's an older track? It has a "lighter" expression, but still reognizable - is she writing/producing her own music?

I saw that Approximately Infinite Universe is avaliable on a Swedish online store, figured I'll order it along with the Rising album soon. Since it made you go bonkers, I'm curious to see if AIU will expand my liking for Yoko.
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Tue June 14th, 2011, 20:46

She seems to be a very interesting character! I've never been a fan of reading biographys until very recently. A friend of mine gave me the latest Kate Buh biography "Under The Ivy: The Life And Music Of Kate Bush" - which have made me come even closer to her, if the author have succeded than these types of books are really fascinating to read through. Yoko seems to be an artist which I'd love reading more about.
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by Tue June 14th, 2011, 22:13

Never Say Goodbye sounds more modern in a way than the material from Rising, but I'm still guessing it's an older track? It has a "lighter" expression, but still reognizable - is she writing/producing her own music?

I saw that Approximately Infinite Universe is avaliable on a Swedish online store, figured I'll order it along with the Rising album soon. Since it made you go bonkers, I'm curious to see if AIU will expand my liking for Yoko.
    Yes it is more modern sounding than Rising, but the album it comes from is 13 years earlier! I think it's her poppiest/synthy album for me thus far, it's different to the others. Yes get AIU it is fantastic, it is a double album so there is a nice eclectic mix of fantastic tracks!

I hope you grow to love Yoko as much as me! And yes she writes and produces most of her stuff as far as I'm aware. Make sure to listen to any links I drop around the forum of her tracks!

Yes, read more about her, it make you more attached to her as an artist, great idea, she is a fascinating lady I agree.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Wed June 15th, 2011, 21:02

I've had a rising day! Damn, what a brilliant album! Not completely flawless, but all around a great work of art.
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by Wed June 15th, 2011, 21:08

I've had a rising day! Damn, what a brilliant album! Not completely flawless, but all around a great work of art.
    YES!! My promoting worked!!! It is art I agree, it is a stunning album! I'm so happy you love it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Wed June 15th, 2011, 21:29

I'm going to give my full review soon! I introduced some tracks for one of my best friends, it seems he'll purchase the album as well! If only Yoko knew!
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by Wed June 15th, 2011, 22:21

I'm going to give my full review soon! I introduced some tracks for one of my best friends, it seems he'll purchase the album as well! If only Yoko knew!
    you have cool mates, most people I know think I'm odd because I love her!

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Wed June 15th, 2011, 22:28

Yeah, we're a very small group of wannabe bohemians! You're welcome to join the group!
    Luc

and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by Wed June 15th, 2011, 23:54

Yeah, we're a very small group of wannabe bohemians! You're welcome to join the group!
    Ooooh sounds cool!! That'd be great!!