X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Benjamin
    Legend
    • 29 Mar 2005

Lene Marlin - Unforgivable Sinner

This song was released in Norway in October of 1998, and I believe a year later in the UK/Europe.

The song has always been very special to me, there's just something about it I absolutely love. Although Lene has the voice as soft and sweet as an angel, the song always felt very dark and mysterious to me.

Just like it's video. I know there are three official videos for the song, for the Norwegian release and for the European release. I don't know which one was released in which country, but I would like to discuss this one.

Lene has always been quite mysterious about the meaning of the song and it's video(s). She never wants to talk about the meaning of story behind it. The 3rd version of the video (the one posted above) has always touched me the most, but I can't quite understand why. The storyline of the video isn't quite clear. The images are very beautiful though, especially of the girl (angel) with the balloon.

Could the song be about suicide (the biggest sin in the bible, right?). Or could it be about Lene herself, that she has sinned? Obviously we don't know, but it has always bothered me.

What do you guys think of the song, it's videos and mystery?
    Big.Big.Booty.
  • mykka
    Legend
    • 05 Jan 2004

In the UK it was only released in August 2000 as far as I'm aware (Sitting Down Here around Spring 2000). She got plenty of airplay on MTV Europe at the time.

I think this is probably her best song along with How Would It Be. Really lovely song

Comment

• mykka
      Legend
      • 05 Jan 2004

The video you posted is the UK/Europe video used for her 2000 release - you can see the date on the VH1 screen when the title appears.

Comment

• Benjamin
        Legend
        • 29 Mar 2005

Ok! I thought so, as it's definitely the video that looks the most 'international'. Thanks for clearing that up.

Now about the story of the song/video. Any idea? I always thought the song was about someone who treated his/her girlfriend so badly, she commited suicide. But, the lyrics tell a slighty different story. I think it might be about someone who has made the decision to end somebody else's life. Someone he/she really cared about. Euthanasia..?

you know where you've sent her
        so you know where you are
        you're trying t ease off,
        but you know you won't get far
        now she's up there, sings like an angel
        but you can't hear the words
        now she's up there, sings like an angel
        unforgivable sinner

Maybe the person in the song had to make the decision about the life of his/her mother (or other loved one), who was very ill? Maybe he 'sent' her to heaven, by making the choice to end her suffering. Now that she's 'up there, singing an angel', he/she cant hear the words, because they don't know if they made the right decision? Feels guilty and cannot runaway from that feeling. it's the unforgivable sin for the person, because He/she can't ask the other person if they did the right thing.

It's just a thought, but the song makes more sense with this explanation for me. Sorry to keep raving about it lol, but this song is just so magical, it hits me everytime I listen to it.
        Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

• tir69
          Superstar
          • 23 Aug 2005

great song and lyrics even if my fav from her is You weren't there

Comment

• Yoshimo
            Manager
            • 08 May 2005

Just re-discovered this and remembered how much I loved it and to this day it gives me her goosebumps. She's got such a beautiful, quirky little voice and the subtle riff underneath the acoustics is absolutely wonderful. <3
            The alternative to the real world.

Comment

• Frankie
              Manager
              • 21 May 2005

This was a number one hit here in Italy back in June 1999, Lene was really big at the time (my favourite from her, "Where I'm Headed", was also a number one single here).
              The video i remember being played was this one

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

which is also the video i like the most of the three.
              The song for me is about a boy who lost a friend when they were little or, to better say, did nothing to help her and she died. And later in his life, even though time has passed, he still feels guilty.

Comment

• thorr
                • 20 May 2016

Sorry for reactivating this thread, but I think the topic is still current when it was in 2013 to somebody, about ten years after the song's release.

Back then a few years ago I always watched the following version of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CLLN8P5sbY. This one captures the song's mood in the best way in my opinion and it also matches frankie_85s interpretation.

At least, since the videos are quite mysterious but surely meaningful we can be sure that there's some meaning in Marlin's lyrics of the song.

Comment

• gorgonzola
                  Personal Assistant
                  • 10 Mar 2019

what happened this girl? she has a great voice

Comment

• SholasBoy
                    Administrator and Site Supporter
                    • 02 Aug 2002

Originally posted by mykka
                    In the UK it was only released in August 2000 as far as I'm aware

I bought the single when originally released in 1999, the 2000 release which charted was a re-release.
                    THIS WEEKS TOP 5
                    Beyonce | LUNA | YG Marley | Debbie | Raiven

Comment

• mykka
                      Legend
                      • 05 Jan 2004

Originally posted by SholasBoy
                      I bought the single when originally released in 1999, the 2000 release which charted was a re-release.
                      Wasnt expecting to be quoted 8 years later lol

Comment

• SholasBoy
                        Administrator and Site Supporter
                        • 02 Aug 2002

Better late than never
                        THIS WEEKS TOP 5
                        Beyonce | LUNA | YG Marley | Debbie | Raiven

Comment

Working...