Thread: Mưa

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 4th, 2015, 07:22

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney
    I agree with GetBack. By taking such an extended hiatus after the 'Lady Marmalade' phenomenon, Mya risked doing irreparable damage to her career, and when she finally did come back in late 2003, Beyonce had already developed a huge stranglehold on the R&B market with no room for upward mobility (I think a clip exists somewhere of Mya introducing 'Crazy in Love' on a BET countdown ).

She didn't risk anything. She only took a year off. Instead of releasing in 2002 she released in an album 2003. If she would've released in 2002 and the album didn't do as well you'd say it was because of Ashanti. Bottom line Moodring was fairly successful it achieved gold status something a lot of artists in the industry are struggling to do today. It's not another artist's fault when another artist does poorly. Beyonce's label had their ducks lined in a row. They properly executed a plan and follow through on it. If it anything to blame it's Mya's label.

Legend
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon May 4th, 2015, 21:40

Moodring didn't do bad. She had #1 decent hit and anther moderate hit. She also wasn't the biggest star beforehand either. The only problem was that nothing she released on Liberation took steam and they just let it go. Then she went to Japan and start releasing Spice Sugary crap or whatever that album was called.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    Cuz you ugly and can't relate

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 5th, 2015, 01:50

^^^^ I agree to some degree. Mya was a big star people like to discredit her success. Interscope kept her name out there through collaborations, media coverage, endorsements. Her demise was the Liberation era and its mishap. Even when Moodring was only consider a modest success. She was still signed to Interscope until she decided to depart with them. She was still working i.e. Cursed and she just had signed a 6 figure modeling contract with Ford modeling celebrity division. When she signed to Motown things begin to unravel and internal conflicts played a part.

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 5th, 2015, 04:24

Moodring was fairly successful, "My Love Is Like..Wo" was on BET and TRL a lot, she got some VMA nods as well but what we're saying here is that she could have taken advantage the hype for "Lady Marmalade" more than anything. That's exactly what the likes of Ashanti and Kelly Rowland did in 2002. After doing successful features ("Always on Time" and "What's Luv?" for Ashanti and "Dilemma" for Kelly which were all chart smashes in 2002) they released Ashanti and Simply Deep respectively. It paid off for both as those albums were their biggest-selling albums. Just imagine if both Ashanti and Kelly took two years off after being featured, their albums would not have yielded the same impact as releasing one on the year they were very relevant.

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 5th, 2015, 05:22

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack
    Moodring was fairly successful, "My Love Is Like..Wo" was on BET and TRL a lot, she got some VMA nods as well but what we're saying here is that she could have taken advantage the hype for "Lady Marmalade" more than anything. That's exactly what the likes of Ashanti and Kelly Rowland did in 2002. After doing successful features ("Always on Time" and "What's Luv?" for Ashanti and "Dilemma" for Kelly which were all chart smashes in 2002) they released Ashanti and Simply Deep respectively. It paid off for both as those albums were their biggest-selling albums. Just imagine if both Ashanti and Kelly took two years off after being featured, their albums would not have yielded the same impact as releasing one on the year they were very relevant.
    My Love Is Like...Wo was nominated for 2 VMAs. She did take advantage of the Lady Marmalade hype she went into other realms of entertainment. She venture into movies and endorsements. I'll give you Ashanti she came in like a hurricane. But Kelly no. Kelly might've had one of biggest songs of the year but her album tanked. It only went gold in the US and has sold roughly 600K. If that's good for a single that spent 10 weeks at No. 1 than by all means kudos to Kelly. All of Kelly's albums after Simply Deep has flopped. She never meant to be a solo artist she doesn't have it she's forever in Beyonce's shadow.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 5th, 2015, 18:15

Still mad that "Liberation" wasn't released properly - would've been her best album

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 5th, 2015, 19:00

Mya has had a fruitful career and I applaud her wanting to continue to make music. People like to discredit her success but she was very successful in a few short years from the gate. She has sold over 15 million records, won a slew of awards and is it forever in Billboard's history.

Legend
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri June 12th, 2015, 17:13

For Mya, its all about the music. She has the beauty, unique voice, outstanding dance moves, and writing skills..
    Diva!!!

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri June 12th, 2015, 18:03

Quote Originally Posted by TIfan
    For Mya, its all about the music. She has the beauty, unique voice, outstanding dance moves, and writing skills..
    Yeah it is and yeah she does. Think that major label venture is totally out of the question now

Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat June 13th, 2015, 09:38

Great interview thanks for that.

Of course moodring came too late.
    I was shocked too when she didbt pull out a new album in early 2002.
    she would hsve been bigger.

and ashanti wasnt a rival outside usa.
    she was grotesque here in europe I think. Too deep hip hop
    YOU cant blame nobody but YOU

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon June 15th, 2015, 00:41

Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak
    She looks amazing!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon June 15th, 2015, 03:23

I was actually listening to her song "Fallen" the other day on repeat. I Always liked that song, and think it's an underrated R&B song. I always thought that song could fit on some of the older Batman movies soundtrack
    Kylie Minogue, Garbage, Simply Red, Coldplay, U2, Janet Jackson, Nine Inch Nails, Tove Lo, Blue October, Godsmack

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon June 15th, 2015, 08:47

Quote Originally Posted by IloveAmerie
    I was actually listening to her song "Fallen" the other day on repeat. I Always liked that song, and think it's an underrated R&B song. I always thought that song could fit on some of the older Batman movies soundtrack
    In what way?

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon June 15th, 2015, 11:47

That was a fantastic interview, thanks for posting! I love Mya. Still, to this day, I wish Liberation had a proper release, it would've been her strongest album. Seems like that was the final straw for her

Legend
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon June 15th, 2015, 12:59

Quote Originally Posted by crazycool
    That was a fantastic interview, thanks for posting! I love Mya. Still, to this day, I wish Liberation had a proper release, it would've been her strongest album. Seems like that was the final straw for her
    I still love her too.

I just want a proper album where she is giving her all. Not her Japanese half assed stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    Cuz you ugly and can't relate

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue June 16th, 2015, 00:12

In what way?
    Not really sure how to explain. There's a darkness to the song, that sort of matches some other Batman soundtrack songs.

Especially near the end of the song where she's singing/whispering "explore me ect."

The sharp/deep violin sounds near the end. It just reminds me somehow.
    Kylie Minogue, Garbage, Simply Red, Coldplay, U2, Janet Jackson, Nine Inch Nails, Tove Lo, Blue October, Godsmack

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue June 16th, 2015, 04:07

Quote Originally Posted by ThaInfo1
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycool
    I still love her too.

I just want a proper album where she is giving her all. Not her Japanese half assed stuff.
    Agreed. Think she's over the Japan releases I hope.

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue June 16th, 2015, 04:09

In what way?
    Not really sure how to explain. There's a darkness to the song, that sort of matches some other Batman soundtrack songs.

Especially near the end of the song where she's singing/whispering "explore me ect."

Kinda like Seal's Kiss From a Rose?

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue June 16th, 2015, 04:26

Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak
    In what way?

Kinda like Seal's Kiss From a Rose?
    Yes, and U2's "Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me, Kill me". Totally different genre, but slightly similar to me. I feel like there is another Batman soundtrack song that I'm thinking of.....not the "Smashing Pumkins" one, although that one is good as well. Maybe I'm just weird in thinking this lol. I just always felt this song matches the Batman soundtracks.

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue June 16th, 2015, 06:30

mya please come back
    #Waiting

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue June 16th, 2015, 06:34

I could see it if they used the music video version for it

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue June 16th, 2015, 07:02

I actually enjoyed her three EPs! They sounded so atmospheric!

Manager
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 24th, 2015, 06:24

Wish she would've released this in full back 2013.